Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

No Time To Die (2021, D: Fukunaga) S: Daniel Craig -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of No Time to Die?
3.70%
11.11%
55.56%
16.67%
5.56%
3.70%
1.85%
1.85%
0%
0%
0%
Not interested
0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

No Time To Die (2021, D: Fukunaga) S: Daniel Craig -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-21, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: No Time To Die (2021, D: Fukunaga) S: Daniel Craig -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Fair enough. I guess I was just hung up on the timeline. I thought No Time To Die took place within days of Spectre, but I guess there's nothing to suggest it couldn't have been a few weeks later, thus allowing time for the pregnancy.

Still not sure why Blofeld suggests her secret "would be the death of him" or whatever, but I guess that's Blofeld being Bloefeld. Speaking of, is there a bigger letdown in this series than Bloefeld? He doesn't really do anything besides take credit for stuff. If we didn't have any prior knowledge of Bloefeld from the earlier films, he'd pretty much just be a guy.

This. They could have cut a LOT of the Blofeld and SPECTRE stuff and shaved a good 25 minutes or so off the run time. They could have inferred Blofeld died in prison, and still done the whole revenge by Safin(sp?) sequence in a different manner.

Did anyone else notice what I am pretty sure was an homage to For Your Eyes Only with Bond and Logan? My thoughts for the series going forward: every new Bond going forward should be part of a story arc told over however many movies to which they sign the actor. I don't think they should start over all the time like this series, but let it be known that each Bond is in its own timeline. Since they let Judi Dench stay on as M, I don't see any reason to not keep Fiennes around as well. Get a Bond multiverse going. Speaking of which, if they want to continue in this reality, I say focus on De Armas' character , as she was both interesting and of course easy on the eyes. See if she is popular enough to merit a short franchise of her own, and then as time passes, perhaps bring in a grown up Mathilde to carry on her father's legacy. This will fulfill the goal of having a female Bond while keeping it organic to the story.

Last edited by Dr. DVD; 10-09-21 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-09-21, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: No Time To Die (2021, D: Fukunaga) S: Daniel Craig -- The Spoiler Reviews Thread

I thought it was pretty cool. Saw it in Dolby Cinema. I did not care for the theme song for this one, and since I'm not a Billie Eillish fan, was a perfect time for me to go take a leak.

I have no idea how EON will start up the next installment of the franchise.
The following users liked this post:
tommyp007 (10-12-21)
Old 10-09-21, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

It's going to be at least 3-4 years before we see another Bond movie hit theaters. I think they should bring back Fiennes. But, I think they will recast Moneypenny and go with a different actress. Naomie Harris is a good actress, but she was pretty unmemorable as the character. And she's already 45. She will be pushing 50 when the next one comes out. I think Ben Whisaw should come back as Q. Hell, if Desmond Llewelyn can star as Q for 5 iterations of Bond, he should be able to come back.

As for de Armas. If they can find a good way that makes sense to bring her back, then great. But remember what happened to Jinx? and the spinoff talk with that character?
Old 10-09-21, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

I think it HAS to be a complete reboot with all different actors. But I guess we will see what they want to do next.
Old 10-09-21, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
It's going to be at least 3-4 years before we see another Bond movie hit theaters. I think they should bring back Fiennes. But, I think they will recast Moneypenny and go with a different actress. Naomie Harris is a good actress, but she was pretty unmemorable as the character. And she's already 45. She will be pushing 50 when the next one comes out. I think Ben Whisaw should come back as Q. Hell, if Desmond Llewelyn can star as Q for 5 iterations of Bond, he should be able to come back.
They've recast Moneypenny for every new Bond ever since Timothy Dalton took the role.
Old 10-09-21, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Just got back from seeing it with my girlfriend a little bit ago. I loved it. Definitely a good finale for Daniel Craig’s version of Bond.

Not going to lie the ending shocked me. I didn’t have it spoiled thankfully. I was floored that they actually killed him off. I guess the five films starring Craig truly do stand-alone.

The question I have now is how you handle bringing the character back. I realize it’ll just be rebooted again, but it’ll be kind of weird seeing as how Bond has never actually died before.

Even if the filmmaker’s want us to believe otherwise I’m still going with my personal feelings that James Bond is essentially a code name, and all the actors who have played him thus far are different guys. I know there’s some continuity, but it’s very loose to the point where that idea can be justified.
B.A. (10-10-21)
Old 10-09-21, 07:27 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
Even if the filmmaker’s want us to believe otherwise I’m still going with my personal feelings that James Bond is essentially a code name, and all the actors who have played him thus far are different guys. I know there’s some continuity, but it’s very loose to the point where that idea can be justified.
You can continue to think that I guess, but it is definitely not the case.
Old 10-09-21, 08:06 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

The question I have now is how you handle bringing the character back. I realize it’ll just be rebooted again, but it’ll be kind of weird seeing as how Bond has never actually died before.
Um, haven’t you seen Connery’s You Only Live Twice?

Bond dies in that one. 😉
Old 10-09-21, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
You can continue to think that I guess, but it is definitely not the case.
It’s how I view it personally. I don’t care if it’s not official. To me that makes far more sense than believing Bond to be the incredible non-aging man who changes looks constantly.

It’s either that or each actor playing Bond reboots then franchise. Again only how I view it, and I know it’s not officially canon.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-09-21 at 08:18 PM.
Old 10-09-21, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts

It’s how I view it personally. I don’t care if it’s not official. To me that makes far more sense than believing Bond to be the incredible non-aging man who changes looks constantly.

It’s either that or each actor playing Bond reboots then franchise. Again only how I view it, and I know it’s not officially canon.
Or it's just an ongoing series of episodic adventures that don't need any sort of explanation because it doesn't matter. The Craig movies of course being the exception.
Old 10-09-21, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Or it's just an ongoing series of episodic adventures that don't need any sort of explanation because it doesn't matter. The Craig movies of course being the exception.
I mean again it’s how I view it. You can view it that way if you choose.
Old 10-09-21, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Also wanted to say that while I didn't like it when it came out 18 months ago, I kind of liked the Billie Eilish song in the context of the movie, where it appeared, the opening credit sequence. Thought it worked pretty well and felt more Bond like than it did on its own.
B.A. (10-10-21)
Old 10-09-21, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk God

The guy who gave it the worst review in the Poll hasn't even made one post in 15 years
The following 2 users liked this post by DJariya:
whotony (10-12-21), Why So Blu? (10-10-21)
Old 10-09-21, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I mean again it’s how I view it. You can view it that way if you choose.
Whatever floats your boat. You just sort of presented it like there were only two choices.

I hope they forget the serialization going forward. They sucked at it and all it does is put them in a corner story wise when Bond's greatest strength is the freedom to wipe the slate clean with every movie.

​​​​​
Old 10-10-21, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

No, just look at Batman in the comics and the movies, or any of the superheros, etc. None of them die or age unless the story calls for it and then they may or may not bring them back. Same shit with a legacy hero like Bond or any of the those legacy heroes in novels.
Old 10-10-21, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
No, just look at Batman in the comics and the movies, or any of the superheros, etc. None of them die or age unless the story calls for it and then they may or may not bring them back. Same shit with a legacy hero like Bond or any of the those legacy heroes in novels.
Comics are kind of a different thing though. There have been so many reboots of characters over time or things like multiverses/alternate timelines.

Also while there are updates to characters in general the looks of characters tends to stay close to the same when it comes to comics.

I would also say that the passage of time isn’t always as evident in comics versus in films or shows. A lot of the Bond films it pretty obvious as to what era they came out.

Again I’m not saying anyone has to agree with me on Bond. That’s just how I myself view the character in the films.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-10-21 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-10-21, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Skyfall made it pretty evident that Craig's Bond is an actual guy named James Bond, but his five movies also make it apparent that they are their own self-contained story. I view Craig's Bond movies like Nolan's Batman trilogy: a focused story about a popular character that includes as many nods to the popular mythos that makes sense for the story arc. That being said, I am still of the mindset that any Bond movie before Craig could be one where both the name and 007 designation are a code. Also, I believe 1996's The Rock is also the true final appearance of Sean Connery as Bond.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dr. DVD:
B.A. (10-10-21), tommyp007 (10-10-21), whotony (10-12-21)
Old 10-10-21, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

These numbers aren't good. I saw predictions for opening weekend all over the map. The highest being in the 90-100M range.

https://deadline.com/2021/10/no-time...2700/#comments
Old 10-10-21, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I know the older crowd has not gone back to the theater, so no surprise it opened with less.
Old 10-10-21, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know the older crowd has not gone back to the theater, so no surprise it opened with less.

My parents haven't been to a theater since late February 2020 and said they aren't going back until they get a booster. They got the Moderna and I got Pfizer, so when I went on Friday I had just had a booster the day before. The Regal where I go to watch my movies predominantly draws older people, so there was close to nobody in my screening, with which I was okay. My parents have said they will wait until this is available to stream, which I presume will be in 45 days or before Christmas?

These numbers do make me wonder about how the movie going public overseas feels about the pandemic compared with the US. NTTD and Dune have both already made over $100 million from international ticket sales.
Old 10-10-21, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

I try to go to the theater every week. I went twice last week. They're missing out.
Old 10-10-21, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk God

No Time to Die will make whatever it makes in the U.S. It's not like the franchise is dead. The movie has gotten mostly good reviews so far and I'm sure it will gain some valuable $$$ overseas, especially in the UK.

The movie is very long, which limits showings per day and it doesn't exactly skew young. An IP like Venom skews young and was also short and that's why it made bank last week.

When I saw it Thursday night in a Dolby Cinema, the auditorium was about 75% full, which is pretty good IMO especially on a weeknight.

6 years ago, Spectre only made $200M in the U.S.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/...ref_=bo_se_r_1

77% of it's revenue was overseas money.
Old 10-10-21, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The movie is 2hr 45 min and going up against Venom. I don't think the number is surprising. It's also pretty comparable to the previous films' openings.
Old 10-10-21, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2021/10/no-time...ce-1234853488/

NTTD has now surpassed $300M worldwide.
Old 10-10-21, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Just saw it on Sunday at 1PM and it was full of older people.

Enjoyed it and it was a good ending for Craig. Now that this and Bourne is over maybe we can go back to fun Bond.
Spiderbite (11-04-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.