Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Cretton) -- S: Liu, Leung - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Shang-Chi?
5 stars
12.73%
4 3/4 stars
1.82%
4 1/2 stars
21.82%
4 stars
41.82%
3 3/4 stars
3.64%
3 1/2 stars
7.27%
3 stars
3.64%
2 3/4 stars
0%
2 1/2 stars
3.64%
2 stars
1.82%
1 3/4 stars
0%
1 1/2 stars
1.82%
1 star
0%
0 stars
0%
Don't care. No interest
0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Cretton) -- S: Liu, Leung - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-21, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts
Re: Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Cretton) -- S: Liu, Leung - The Spoiler Reviews Thr

Originally Posted by Draven
The "first" movies are origin stories. That formula isn't followed by the sequels or the team-ups. The characters have to be introduced to the audience. And for the record, Black Panther started with all his powers.
So did Hulk, so why return to that lazy story telling, if there is another way. It's just done so many times not only by Marvel. That being said, the solo sequels aren't very diverse in their storytelling either. Just mix it up. Take risk and don't just refer to the Guardians as an example for risk taking.
Old 11-17-21, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Re: Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Cretton) -- S: Liu, Leung - The Spoiler Reviews Thr

Originally Posted by DJariya
The Marvel studios "Assembled" documentary on the making of this movie is great. Just finished it. They thoroughly cover the production and casting of this movie.
It's a pretty good BTS. It covers a lot in 1 hour.
Old 11-17-21, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Fun movie. My only complaint was the CGI fest it turned into at the end. Guess they didn't learn from the feedback on Black Panther.
Old 11-17-21, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The Marvel studios "Assembled" documentary on the making of this movie is great. Just finished it. They thoroughly cover the production and casting of this movie. They even cover how COVID shut down the production and how they managed to get up and running.
Thanks for letting me know about. I've enjoyed all the streaming shows making of docs and didn't know they did one for the features (I see Black Widow is out there, too). Ahhhh, remember the days when these long docs were included on DVDs/blurays instead of the half hour of puff pieces the MARVEL discs now how? :P
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (11-17-21)
Old 11-17-21, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

I still think the end Lovecraftian winged monster was lame and didn't fit that scarcely populated world at all.
Old 11-17-21, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

I just saw this on HBO Max, and the IMAX version looked awesome. Very enjoyable movie, with an appealing lead, and Tony Leung and Michelle Yeoh were great. Awkwafina wasn't even that annoying, and the humor really worked for me.

"Wait for my signal!"
(Bus splits in two, and I expect him to yell "Now!")
(He gets pinned against the window and prepares some kind of lethal two-finger strike.)
(Instead he pulls the bus-signal cord. I laughed out loud, then again because it was so funny.)

I agree the dragon fight and ending weren't as good as the early part of the movie.

Djariya, thanks for the tip on where to find the making-of. Only the trailer was attached to the movie's supplemental section.
Old 11-18-21, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
So did Hulk, so why return to that lazy story telling, if there is another way. It's just done so many times not only by Marvel. That being said, the solo sequels aren't very diverse in their storytelling either. Just mix it up. Take risk and don't just refer to the Guardians as an example for risk taking.
Honestly it seemed pretty different to me. Sean was a runaway hiding who he really was and his main adversary was his own father. It was a lot more about related family than other Marvel movies are.

It’s only “formulaic” because it’s ultimately about superheroes.
Old 11-18-21, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Honestly it seemed pretty different to me. Sean was a runaway hiding who he really was and his main adversary was his own father. It was a lot more about related family than other Marvel movies are.

It’s only “formulaic” because it’s ultimately about superheroes.
That's what I'm talking about. Mix it up a little. You could get a Logan, if you succeed or a New Mutans if you fail, but don't have the same. Having a runaway hiding who he really was and with his (girlfriend's) father as his biggest adversary, isn't that new either. Iron Man and Star-Lord had to put up with father figures as well and in Shang-Chi, for the great finale, they swapped the skybeam for a soul sucking dragon. Why have this finale? Why not have Shang-Chi face his father.
Captain Marvel, Black Widow und now Shang-Chi all looked like they were made by an algorithm.
Old 11-18-21, 07:17 AM

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I watched Shang-Chi again and enjoyed it even more than the first time. The trailers for this movie didn't do anything for me, and I wasn't expecting much. I thought it would end up near the bottom of my MCU list, but it's actually closer to the top. Simu Liu is great. Can't wait to see him host SNL this weekend.

1. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2
2. Guardians of the Galaxy
3. Thor: Ragnarok
4. Avengers: Endgame
5. Loki
6. Captain Marvel
7. Captain America: The First Avenger
8. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
9. The Avengers
10. Iron Man
11. Spider-Man: Far From Home
12. Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
13. Doctor Strange
14. Black Panther
15. Avengers: Infinity War
16. WandaVision
17. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier
18. Captain America: Civil War
19. Spider-Man: Homecoming
20. Iron Man 2

21. Thor: The Dark World
22. Thor
23. Ant-Man
24. Ant-Man and the Wasp
25. The Incredible Hulk

26. Avengers: Age of Ultron
27. Black Widow
28. Iron Man 3

Last edited by Rodney2187; 11-18-21 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-19-21, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

don't think too many of us here have young kids but Simu Liu is going to be on Sesame St to introduce a new episode on diversity and representation as well as the first asian muppet.

The following 2 users liked this post by jpcamb:
Bandoman (11-19-21), IBJoel (11-21-21)
Old 11-19-21, 09:13 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

He’s also going to be in Selling Sunset, spending that Marvel money on a new place:
https://ew.com/tv/chrishell-stause-s...nset-season-4/
Old 11-19-21, 10:16 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Yeah, I think I read he recently got a dope plot in the Hollywood Hills. Gotta keep the MCU superheros up top.

DCU heros are down near Redondo Beach.
Old 11-19-21, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I grew up in Redondo back when it was a cool beach city, so watch the hatertalk.
IBJoel (11-21-21)
Old 11-19-21, 10:52 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

LOL, most of my family still live in that area.
Old 11-20-21, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Finally watched this with the family. Honestly, as excited as I was to see it I almost fell asleep during the end. I realize that they need to up the stakes on everything in the MCU so they couldn't just make a grounded "Master of Kung Fu" movie, but man there was no need for the CGI dragons at all, and if anything the "voice behind the wall" took away from WenWu's motivations. And usually I'm super excited by the post credits scene and lead in to other movies but man even if it is something like Fin Fang Foom it just seemed like more of the same. I liked the characters, though, and I'm hopeful he joins the Avengers like he did in Hickman's comic run.

And they totally tried to make him a sympathetic character: yes he was a bad guy for thousands of years, he saw the light when he met his wife and actually gave everything up, his past came back to nip that in the blood and in his grief he pushed his son not to kill some random bad guy but to take revenge that he felt was his right. On top of that he was being corrupted/misled by the rings. It wasn't even like he just wanted more power by invading. I realize it gives him some nuance but I think I would've preferred a more straightforward bad guy with a better plan (I was totally expecting the sister to be in on it) and surviving as head of the Hand or whatever.

Even Shang Chi's whole "you know what, I did kill that guy" falls a little flat when we see the people fighting him fall to their death (admittedly he does save one or two and they are attacking him).
Old 11-20-21, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I realize it gives him some nuance but I think I would've preferred a more straightforward bad guy with a better plan (I was totally expecting the sister to be in on it) and surviving as head of the Hand or whatever.
Xialing literally replaced her father at the end as head of the Ten Rings.
Old 11-21-21, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Xialing literally replaced her father at the end as head of the Ten Rings.
Oh, I think I phrased that wrong, I thought there'd be more to the plot including the sister being in on luring Shang Chi back in (and it really didn't make much sense that WenWu sent him that postcard to lure him to her except for plot purposes... he clearly already knew where both of them were, why reunite them first?). And I'd have preferred Wen Wu to be someone who stuck around as head of this evil organization, since now it's going to be more of a chaotic good organization. Though FilmSelect/Pitch Meeting made a good point, just how many evil organizations are secretly running the world in the MCU?
Old 11-21-21, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I grew up in Redondo back when it was a cool beach city, so watch the hatertalk.
Yeah, the place across the street from me when I lived in Hermosa sold for $10M, like 8 years ago.
Old 11-21-21, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by IBJoel
Yeah, the place across the street from me when I lived in Hermosa sold for $10M, like 8 years ago.
My dad bought into a new housing area back in the 60s, across from what was South Bay hospital, on Prospect. Nice 2-story house, nice backyard. First time I ever had my own room. It was the first time I saw a Playboy and I learned about Santa. The house was 35k back then. I wonder how much it would be worth if he kept it in the family.
IBJoel (11-24-21)
Old 11-21-21, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

"Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Realtors"
The following 2 users liked this post by Ash Ketchum:
IBJoel (11-24-21), tanman (11-24-21)
Old 11-24-21, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 962 Likes on 669 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
My dad bought into a new housing area back in the 60s, across from what was South Bay hospital, on Prospect. Nice 2-story house, nice backyard. First time I ever had my own room. It was the first time I saw a Playboy and I learned about Santa. The house was 35k back then. I wonder how much it would be worth if he kept it in the family.
Zillow dude, go check it out and report back to us.
Old 11-24-21, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's what I'm talking about. Mix it up a little. You could get a Logan, if you succeed or a New Mutans if you fail, but don't have the same. Having a runaway hiding who he really was and with his (girlfriend's) father as his biggest adversary, isn't that new either. Iron Man and Star-Lord had to put up with father figures as well and in Shang-Chi, for the great finale, they swapped the skybeam for a soul sucking dragon. Why have this finale? Why not have Shang-Chi face his father.
Captain Marvel, Black Widow und now Shang-Chi all looked like they were made by an algorithm.
That's why at least for this first half of whatever phase we're on I've been loving the Disney+ shows. They really do shake things up and get pretty creative.
Old 11-24-21, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by tanman
That's why at least for this first half of whatever phase we're on I've been loving the Disney+ shows. They really do shake things up and get pretty creative.
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier was pretty conventional, too, what I didn't mind, but Loki, WandaVision and What If are pretty creative. Black Widow could have been a much better movie if they had reduced the Marvel stuff to a minimum and went the Mission: Impossible or Bourne route.
Old 11-24-21, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Falcon and the Winter Soldier was pretty conventional, too, what I didn't mind, but Loki, WandaVision and What If are pretty creative. Black Widow could have been a much better movie if they had reduced the Marvel stuff to a minimum and went the Mission: Impossible or Bourne route.
Agreed on all points. They really should have led with FatWS, it was pretty disappointing after WandaVision. I was really hoping they would take a more realistic approach to Black Widow. I did really appreciate the moments with her "family" though. I thought those grounded the movie a bit. As many people have stated before, it just really feels like Black Widow should have come out years ago. I think it would have been better received when the MCU was a bit more conventional super hero stuff.
Old 11-26-21, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tanman
Zillow dude, go check it out and report back to us.
Forgot all about this due to Thanksgiving stuff. I guess nothing for sale on my street but nearby was a similar house for $2 mil. If he only knew back then. Oh well. My grandfather had a chance to buy some land north of El Segundo. Right where LAX sits now. Real Estate wasn't my family's forte. No Trumps here.
The following 2 users liked this post by TomOpus:
IBJoel (11-26-21), tanman (11-27-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.