Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Cretton) -- S: Liu, Leung - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did you think of Shang-Chi?
5 stars
12.73%
4 3/4 stars
1.82%
4 1/2 stars
21.82%
4 stars
41.82%
3 3/4 stars
3.64%
3 1/2 stars
7.27%
3 stars
3.64%
2 3/4 stars
0%
2 1/2 stars
3.64%
2 stars
1.82%
1 3/4 stars
0%
1 1/2 stars
1.82%
1 star
0%
0 stars
0%
Don't care. No interest
0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Cretton) -- S: Liu, Leung - The Spoiler Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-21, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Marvel Studios' "Shang-Chi and The Legend of The Ten Rings" stars Simu Liu as Shang-Chi, who must confront the past he thought he left behind when he is drawn into the web of the mysterious Ten Rings organization. The film also stars Tony Leung as Wenwu, Awkwafina as Shang-Chi's friend Katy and Michelle Yeoh as Jiang Nan, as well as Fala Chen, Meng'er Zhang, Florian Munteanu and Ronny Chieng.

Running Time: 132 minutes

Rating: PG-13
for sequences of violence and action, and language

There is no official record of the production budget

Are there any post credit scenes?

Spoiler:

Yes, there are two

Rotten Tomatoes score: 92% as of 9/2/21

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/sha..._the_ten_rings

This will be a theatrical exclusive for at least 45 days

This starts showings tonight. I plan to see this at a 7pm showing. This is a spoiler thread, so if you're seeing it, don't worry about tags. If someone wants to wait 45 days and cares about spoilers, they will have to resist reading this thread.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-02-21 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-02-21, 08:00 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Re: Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Cretton) -- S: Liu, Leung - The Spoiler Reviews Thr

I enjoyed this quite a bit. Definitely one of the more unique MCU films.

Old 09-02-21, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Re: Shang-Chi & the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Cretton) -- S: Liu, Leung - The Spoiler Reviews Thr

Surprised to like this much more than Black Widow. Really great father son character moments, beautiful effects and costumes, this will look great on 4k. Great action setpieces, particularly the scaffold on the skyscraper.

If I had to go negative I wish it hadn't gone full cg monster fight at the end because the movie was at its best with the human interaction. Also the rings were a bit disappointing as they seemed to be just blunt instrument smashing weapons instead of the 10 different powers.

That first credits scene was awesome!!
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (09-05-21)
Old 09-02-21, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

I also really liked this. The only complaint I have (At the moment) is that the score didn't match the hectic chaos that was occurring in the climax. But maybe that's because it was meant to reflect the calmness that Shang-Chi, his sister & Katy were suppose to display while fighting. And while this may be one of the more longer (Solo-led) MCU movies, I sure didn't feel it's length at all.

Seeing Yuen Wah's name in the end-credits was a great surprise! Was he the bow & arrow master?

And not 1, but 2 Hulk characters in this?! Hell yeah!!

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 09-02-21 at 11:51 PM.
Old 09-02-21, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

4 out of 5 for me, thought it was great! I was pleasantly surprised at how many quiet scenes there were, this had great action scenes but it was very much a family drama - that worked and felt real. I also could've gone without the monster mashup at the end (marketing made the right move not to showcase too much of that imo) I was far more interested in the drama going on. Will for sure go back for a repeat viewing!
Old 09-03-21, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Just got back from an almost full Dolby showing. Really solid movie. Probably one of my favorite Marvel movies not called Avengers. I mean really this was a Marvel Chinese Wuxia family fantasy drama. I think it took a cool and different spin in the MCU.

Simu Liu was awesome. He handled the fight choreography so well and I loved his banter with Awkwafina. They really worked as BFF's with absolutely no hint of a romantic relationship. I know not everyone likes her, but I thought she was hilarious.

Tony Leung was a fantastic villain. He chewed up all the scenes he was in and had great intensity in his scenes with Liu. Yeoh actually had a pretty minor supporting role. She didn't appear until the 2nd hour.

The 1st post credit scene with:

The cameos from Carol Danvers and Bruce Banner was quite unexpected. My audience was like Wow. I guess it does tease a bigger role that Shang-Chi and Katy will have in the MCU

There is a 2nd one, but that one pretty much teases the 10 Rings returning in a future movie.

4 1/2 stars from me. An A- I will try to see this in IMAX a 2nd time.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-03-21 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-03-21, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

A slightly mixed bag for me, but overall I enjoyed it and would recommend it to people. I thought Simu Liu was likable but rather bland as the lead. Not surprisingly, Tony Leung dominated just about every scene that he had. Michelle Yeoh showed up to deliver lots of hokey exposition, but she did it with her usual grace. It was great to see Yeoh and Leung actually share a scene together, albeit very briefly (their 1st time since Butterfly and Sword?), as well as getting to see martial arts movie icon Yuen Wah. Awkwafina brought an effective comedic dimension to the movie that didn't feel forced or out of place. Ben Kingsley's return as Trevor stood out as more of a purely humorous device, but the audience I was with laughed at just about everything he said ("He says you have a 90 percent chance of surviving. Oh, excuse me...19").

The opening sequence was excellent. The action scenes were generally quite good, but a little choppy at times. I wanted to see Shang-Chi's mom fight the thugs who came to take revenge against her husband. It seemed like they were building up to a big fight scene, but they didn't even show it. I know she didn't have her supernatural powers at that point, but she still had her kung fu. Like Black Panther, the finale turned into a bloated CGI-fest, but in a much worse way. There was more kaiju action here than there was in Gareth Edwards' Godzilla movie. When it comes to kung fu epics, I still think Once Upon a Time in China is a much better movie than this one, but Shang-Chi is a better movie than a lot of Tsui Hark's recent CGI laden crap-fests.
Ash Ketchum (09-03-21)
Old 09-03-21, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Loved this! Now where does it take place in the time line is my question. In the end credits scene Bruce is not only not Hulk but, is it more, or did Banner look older? Also, Carol has long hair again. In the Spiderman trailer it appears Wong is leaving to go fight with Abomination so it would appear No Way Home is set before this?
Old 09-03-21, 12:04 PM

I want to give some props to Meng'er Zhang. It was her first movie and she totally rocked. I've seen a bunch of cast/individual interviews with her over the last week. She is adorable and seems so thankful and amazed to be involved in the film. Really fun to watch.
Old 09-03-21, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
The cameos from Carol Danvers and Bruce Banner was quite unexpected.
I wasn't too surprised that Brie made an appearance considering her working relationship with Cretton. I'm glad they were able to work her in.
B.A. (09-05-21)
Old 09-03-21, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

SHANG-CHI AND THE LEGEND OF THE TEN RINGS (PG-13) A magical, enchanting and beautifully produced new Marvel entry makes all the right moves and has just become the coolest thing in the MCU!

Excuse me while I keep this as spoiler-free as possiblefor what I think is a complete and utter success on Marvel’s part in introducing Phase Four of the MCU (not discounting Black Widow, but outside of that after-credit scene, everything else was pre-Infinity Saga). I am telling you upfront - the surprises and delights, from the cameos, fun dialogue, the utter joy of magical possibilities and that THIRD ACT that had both me and the audience at my screening absolutely screaming in delight and awe, and are much too special to even hint at slight spoilers. Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings is a movie that needs to be experienced as purely as possible.

And I will tell you up front, the trailers did not even hint at a tenth of the loads of cool and enchanting stuff that we were treated to last night. In fact, I firmly believe there was some intentional misdirection for the deep Marvel nerds so that you get gobsmacked by a lot of the fun stuff packed into this winner.

I will give a basic framework that this story is built on.For a thousand years (give or take), Xu Wenwu (Tony Leung) has been the leader of the Army of the Ten Rings because of the magical bracelets he happened upon as a fairly young man. The rings imbue him with a mystical power that he uses to defeat and conquer his enemies. The rings keep him from dying and he is nigh unstoppable until 1996 … when he falls in love with the beautiful Jiang Li (Fala Chen) after one of the best “fight cute” meetings I have ever seen. She’s magical in her own right, without any rings to draw upon.

They have two children, son Shang-Chi (a charming Simu Liu) and daughter Xialing (an intense Meng’er Zhang), who are both raised and treated very differently by their father after their mother dies (that tragic story is replayed later in the film). Dad decides to reinvigorate his title as the master of the 10 Rings after an imposter claiming to be the terrorist Mandarin and leader of the Ten Rings gains the world’s attention. Stop right now, watch Iron Man 3, immediately followed by the Marvel One-Shot Hail To The King. Not really a spoiler if you have the internet. Go ahead, I’ll wait….

Okay, you’re back already! Fast-forward to present day - Shang-Chi is now Shaun, a 20-something valet living in San Francisco who enjoys hanging out with his bestie Katy (a super fun Awkwafina who steals the movie practically every time she opens her mouth). Both are really kind of directionless and just doin’ life until the day some guys led by the man with a “machete for an arm” (Florian Munteanu) attacks Shaun on a crowded city bus to steal something special from him. I’m sure you saw some of this in the trailer and on YouTube.

And we’re off to the races.Shaun/Shang-Chi must come clean with Katy, who loyally stays by his side for the entire adventure and actually has her own story arc. Along the way, they team up with sister Xialing as the three are plunged headlong into a reunion with their father, who is having his own crisis fed by his grief and some “outside forces”. That’s it, I’m done. You need to go see this movie for yourself!

ROUSING FINAL!What a great time. Action, laughs, fantastical worlds, an extremely rousing and imaginative take on Chinese mythology in the last act, and the introduction of a different type of Marvel hero! I am still wrapping my head around just how unique this movie is! I literally could not take my eyes off the screen because I was afraid I would miss something cool, and I am giving it 5 out of 5 lightsabers. Definitely leaning toward seeing it again on the big screen, hopefully with Mrs. Orbi-Wan in tow.

NOTES FOR PARENTS (Mild Spoilers): Shang-Chi And The Legend Of The Ten Rings is rated PG-13 for comic book and martial arts action and violence and a bit of language. Action and Violence:Suffice it to say, there is plenty of punching, kicking and other martial arts and fantasy style fighting all the way through the film. And, uh, there’s a huge battle with some fairly gooey and frightening creatures towards the end of the movie. Language: No “F” bombs. S**t, d**n, G**d*** (once in a whisper) and all the other usual PG profanities are heard at times. Katy uses the word “vagina” but not in a sexual sense.Themes:A LOT of family dysfunction on display. A child witnesses the death of his mother (not shown, but no doubt what was happening). The family members take different directions because of their grief.

MID- AND AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: Mid-credits: Shang-Chi and Katy find that the Ten Rings are introducing them to a much larger heroic universe (featuring some cool cameos). After-credits: Xialing seems to be interested in bringing the family legacy into modern times.

Let people know about ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES at https://www.orbiwanblogs.me/moviereviews .

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Moviesis protected under Creative Commons.
The following 2 users liked this post by Orbi-Wan Techno:
DJariya (09-03-21), tanman (09-29-21)
Old 09-03-21, 05:26 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I had high expectations for this movie and it was mostly met. I really liked Simu Liu in the title role, he was funny, charismatic, and convincing in the action and martial arts sequences (unlike that horrible Iron Fist adaptation on Netflix). Awkwafina was fine playing the comedic foil but could have become grating if overdone, her character was used just about the right amount. Tony Leung always stood out in all his scenes, he has such a great screen presence. I was very impressed with newcomer Meng'er Zhang, she was excellent in her supporting role and I'm looking forward to her being potentially the next antagonist. Fala Chen also stood out as Shang-Chi's mother Li. Michelle Yeoh as Nan was fine in a mentor supporting role, not much stood out as great or bad about her character. I was surprised at how much I liked Ben Kingsley in this, they really milked the hell out of his character through 2 movies and a one-shot. The action sequences were fantastic, especially the bus fight, the scaffold fight, and the fight between Shang-Chi and Wenwu. I liked that they incorporated many elements of martial arts films from wuxia wire work to brutal hand to hand combat. I would rate the ending CGI fest a little lower on the scale but hey it's a Marvel movie. I loved the family dynamics between Shang-Chi, Wenwu, and Xialing, I would have liked to have seen more of that. I'm looking forward to finding out how the mid credits scene ties the ten rings to the future MCU films. I rate this a 4.75 out of 5.
B.A. (09-05-21)
Old 09-03-21, 06:25 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

So jealous of you guys. Glad it was everything and in most cases more. Can’t wait to stream this one in 1.5 mos., especially after, imo, disappointing Black Widow.
Old 09-03-21, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Loved this! Now where does it take place in the time line is my question. In the end credits scene Bruce is not only not Hulk but, is it more, or did Banner look older? Also, Carol has long hair again. In the Spiderman trailer it appears Wong is leaving to go fight with Abomination so it would appear No Way Home is set before this?
Banner’s arm was in a sling. Still an injury from Endgame? Or something else?
Old 09-03-21, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Saw this today at noon and liked it for the most part. A couple of hokey optics parts bugged me but I got over it. I did not care about how Shang and Katey were shamed for parking cars. Yes, they're highly educated graduates from Berkeley and all that, but to beat that shit into a dead horse bothered me at first. You know, because the majority of valet parking attendants are typically Latinos. Heaven forbid that some highly educated Asian cats do it for a living as well.

Awkwafina did not annoy me like I thought she would and her character was pretty goddamn endearing. I did hate how the final warring armies were comprised of like 20 people (or less) on both sides. Yes, I know Tony Leong could have wiped the entire landscape with the rings, but it felt paltry compared to the awesome prologue of him leading a LOTR scale army into war.

I did not like how his right hand man with the cool mask got taken out so easily even after he was forshadowed to be something more. Also, if that final demon wasn't Fing Fan Foom, then that's weak sauce. It was a cool character design but totally uninteresting in its execution. I saw tons of people going to the bathroom during Shang's final fight with that thing.

I liked that Trevor Slattery came back (and you should watch the Hail to the King short), he stole every scene he was in. Shang's sister was awesome and hot. I did not care about her frumpy outfits, though. They should have styled her better. I did like the Chinese mystical lions and horses. Some scenes reminded me of Crouching Tiger and 47 Ronin in terms of characters and production design.

4-star, baby! I saw it in Dolby Cinema, so the next time I may go with the IMAX since it's in 1.9:1.
Old 09-03-21, 08:46 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Just got back from seeing this. Loved every minute of it.

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Shang-Chi’s folks met in 1996, let’s say they had kids in 1998 and 2000… and he ran away at 14 (2012) and was gone for 10 years (2022),

The MCU timeline says the first Avengers movie was 2012 and the first Spider-Man (Homecoming) in four years later in 2016.

Infinity War is set in 2017… so Shang-Chi was 19 when the blip happened and 24 when Banner snapped to bring everyone back in 2022.

So I’m guessing that it all four happen one after another in 2022-2023:

Avengers End Game
Spider-Man: Far From Home
Shang-Chi
Spider-Man: No Way Home

Originally Posted by Orbi-Wan Techno
Banner’s arm was in a sling. Still an injury from Endgame? Or something else?
That injury from the gauntlet isn’t going to heal quickly… and should/could be fresh in this film.

​​​​​​…. and my question: Are the Ten Rings old enough to be “Celestials” old? (I know that in the comic they come from the planet that Fing Fang Foom comes from, but I don’t think they’ll follow that origin story.)

Edit to add: We need a Taserface and Razorfist team-up.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 09-03-21 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-03-21, 09:00 PM

IW was 2018… Endgame 2023. Far From Home was 8 months after Endgame, so summer vacation 2024.
This is probably sometime in 2024.
No Way Home takes place not longer after FFH.
IBJoel (09-13-21)
Old 09-03-21, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Edit to add: We need a Taserface and Razorfist team-up.

I thought the same thing. That big bastard Razorfist is Drago's son from Creed 2.
Old 09-03-21, 09:38 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I thought the same thing. That big bastard Razorfist is Drago's son from Creed 2.
I’m so glad that Razor Fist widened up and stuck around.
Why So Blu? (09-03-21)
Old 09-03-21, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I’m so glad that Razor Fist widened up and stuck around.
Razorfist can thrive in the MCU....As long as Wolvie’s not around!

Oh, and I was certain that “Morris” was going to join the fight in the end—With his secret face being some sort of massive weapon. But that would’ve been too reminiscent of “Goose” in Captain Marvel.
Old 09-03-21, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by dex14
I wasn't too surprised that Brie made an appearance considering her working relationship with Cretton. I'm glad they were able to work her in.
Ah I totally forgot he directed her in Just Mercy.
Old 09-03-21, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Loved it - fantastic fight choreography and a great entry for another new character that had most people saying “who?” when this was announced.

It was great that they tied in Wong - keeping the Strange characters involved in all the mystical stuff is both fun and logical.

And I didn’t mind the CGI battle at the end because the humans remained pretty involved in it too. And the whole idea was to stop a world-ending monster, so it needed to be something substantial.

The change to the 10 rings was fine with me - the version where it’s one for every finger with different powers is WAY too similar to the Infinity Stones and gauntlet. I loved the bracelet design.

And I’m glad Katy got to go with him - too often the helpful sidekick gets left behind when they join the other heroes. Fun to see her in the mix.

Between this and Black Widow, the MCU is crushing it. The only downside for me was having to go to a theater to see it but this was worth that now-rare event.
Old 09-03-21, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
Ah I totally forgot he directed her in Just Mercy.
As well as Short Term 12 and The Glass Castle.
Old 09-03-21, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Took me about halfway through to remember where I recognized him from. He was OK, didn't bring much to the table but I don't mind if he sticks around.

I forgot we're still a few yrs ahead in the MCU timeline, I guess the delays got us a year closer at least.
Old 09-03-21, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

Was hoping they'd mention K'un-Lun and that there are several other portals being guarded. I felt that dragon battle went on a bit long. But overall, I liked it. It had that old school, Shaw Bros type of story to it.

And while they mention the events of Iron Man 3, was hoping they'd go all the way back to Iron Man 1. Was Obadiah Stane working with Xu Wenwu or was it Killian.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.