Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Harder They Fall (2021, D: Samuel) S: Elba, Majors, King, Stanfield, Beetz, Lindo - Netflix

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Harder They Fall (2021, D: Samuel) S: Elba, Majors, King, Stanfield, Beetz, Lindo - Netflix

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-21, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,206 Likes on 4,233 Posts
Re: The Harder They Fall (2021, D: Samuel) S: Elba, Majors, King, Stanfield, Beetz, Lindo - Netflix

I just read that this was Jeymes Samuel first feature film. Wow. Makes me wish (yet again) for a Best First Feature Oscar. Why not have that "Rookie of the Year / Best New Artist" type award for directors?
Directors of stuff like Booksmart, Promising Young Woman and this deserve to be recognized for the special new talents they are.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
[email protected] (11-08-21), OldBoy (11-07-21)
Old 11-07-21, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts
Re: The Harder They Fall (2021, D: Samuel) S: Elba, Majors, King, Stanfield, Beetz, Lindo - Netflix

the only thing that I did not like about this movie is it showed how well Idris could have crushed the role of the Gunslinger in the Dark Tower series. Such a shame that movie wasted his talent and the source material.

I got some Tarantino vibes from this in a good way. Just a fun movie all in all with a pretty good twist ending. I am a sucker for a good western and this was a nice take on that.
Old 11-07-21, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by jpcamb

I got some Tarantino vibes from this in a good way. Just a fun movie all in all with a pretty good twist ending. I am a sucker for a good western and this was a nice take on that.
It was produced by Lawrence Bender who produced every QT movie through Basterds.
Old 11-07-21, 03:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

Having Jonathan Majors hosting SNL this coming weekend is brilliant and will give this movie even more recognition. Show will suck as always but still. Just great and agree with Decker. Make the Oscars a little more hipper, non old foggie with a first directorial feature award. Samuel wins hands down!
Old 11-08-21, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Very wannabe Quentin Tarantino. I found the music choices absolutely terrible though, and not fitting a westen at all. It was very distracting.
Other than that, I thought it was decent, if a bit long.

But, please, someone, make a western that a isn't revenge movie.
Old 11-08-21, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Gunde
Tom Hanks did last year.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
[email protected] (11-08-21), OldBoy (11-08-21)
Old 11-08-21, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Decker
Tom Hanks did last year.
News of the World was an excellent, Oscar worthy non-traditional Western. great movie and highly recommended. this was of course much more traditional, brutal and all kinds of glorious.
Old 11-11-21, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

I thought this was fantastic. I enjoyed everything about it. It was stylized but not so much that it was distracting. The actors were all fantastic. I liked members of each gang, despite a lot of them being terrible people. It took some getting used to but actually enjoyed the non-anachronistic music.

The movie started out with a Big Bang right from the first scene and rarely lets up. The reveal at the end was a nice surprise that I wasn’t expecting, yet it totally made sense.

If I had one complaint it would be the White town. Granted I laughed out loud when they rode into town but it kind of took me out of the movie and the whole sequence felt too dream-like or something. It just felt off from the rest of the movie. And seeing how that whole plot point was resolved, it was ultimately unnecessary.

Overall I enjoyed the hell out of it. Just an awesome debut from Samuel.
Old 11-12-21, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Tom Hanks did last year.
Yep, and I loved it. But I'd like more
Old 11-13-21, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
This is the director's 2013 short film that features some of these characters. It has a stacked cast as well.

https://youtu.be/pKx-bJuyWpM

I believe his intent is to make more films in the series... a sequel and a prequel.
Don't forget about the planned cartoon spin-off series and the related but unrelated side zombie-adventure of the one minor but lovable character ...
Old 11-15-21, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Don't forget about the planned cartoon spin-off series and the related but unrelated side zombie-adventure of the one minor but lovable character ...
the sad thing is even with the wink I have to wonder if this is in fact part of the plan... milk it till it's as dry as the desert is the norm after all.
Old 11-22-21, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

Jonathan Majors and Idris Elba did a great job, but my personal favorite was LaKeith Stanfield. Overall this was a fantastic cast in a very entertaining movie. The set design was outstanding.
Old 11-22-21, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
Very wannabe Quentin Tarantino. I found the music choices absolutely terrible though, and not fitting a westen at all. It was very distracting.
Other than that, I thought it was decent, if a bit long.

Agree the music ruined it. It was OK overall nothing I would watch again.

Old 11-22-21, 03:34 PM

You guys are really overthinking this movie. It’s just a straight up Western with modern flavor considering Jay Z produced I believe. He has songs in it and the whole thing is done with a modern twist. Plain and simple. It’s not a Clint western. It’s a Western for todays audience and worked so much better than remake of Magnificent Seven and other stuff churned out once in awhile. This was just fun, action packed and played by the actors to perfection.
The following users liked this post:
csant (11-22-21)
Old 01-08-22, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I liked how this started but to be honest it really started to sag and lose momentum in the middle - too many characters each with their own complicated bit vaguely cliche side stories, the best westerns to me always have a laser focus and if this one stuck more to Majors vs Elba it would’ve been better. Regina, Lakeith all awesome but they almost overshadowed the leads. Very cool having a Black-led western but other than some stylistic flourishes and good actors it didn’t quite live up to its potential. Also did not care for the modern soundtrack, one that maybe focused more on an old soul and blues sound would’ve been less distracting.
Old 02-08-23, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by csant
The story here worked so well... after a day or two to think about it I want to see it again.
I’m seeing it again right now and it’s just as great and effective. Great movie making. Now, Majors is a major player. I like him, he’s cool and so bad ass in all his roles.
csant (02-09-23)
Old 02-08-23, 05:59 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Now, Majors is a major player. I like him, he’s cool and so bad ass in all his roles.
Between Quantumania, Creed III, and Magazine Dreams, this year is going to be huge for him.
Old 02-08-23, 06:01 PM

Absolutely. And, he deserves it. He’s quite a good actor and amazing presence.
Old 02-09-23, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Watched this several months ago and enjoyed the hell out of it.
I wish Netflix would release this and Triple Frontier on Blu-Ray.

It seems like Majors is in every movie now.
OldBoy (02-09-23)
Old 02-09-23, 06:07 PM

The last forty minutes of this are magnificent. The buildup prior equally as great. I too would love a physical release of this perhaps some extras too. Hard not to like this film.
Old 02-09-23, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

I remember not liking this, despite all the talent involved. I didn't hate it, but I was kinda meh once it was all over. I could see the genuine enthusiasm onscreen, but was left feeling like the director and the writer didn't have what it takes to quite stick the landing (despite a game effort). However, this thread has me wanting to revisit it to see if my opinion changes.