DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The Harder They Fall (2021, D: Samuel) S: Elba, Majors, King, Stanfield, Beetz, Lindo - Netflix (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/653603-harder-they-fall-2021-d-samuel-s-elba-majors-king-stanfield-beetz-lindo-netflix.html)

dex14 08-23-21 03:14 PM

The Harder They Fall (2021, D: Samuel) S: Elba, Majors, King, Stanfield, Beetz, Lindo - Netflix

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...a8cb10adda.jpg

When outlaw Nat Love (Jonathan Majors) discovers that his enemy Rufus Buck (Idris Elba) is being released from prison he rounds up his gang to track Rufus down and seek revenge. Those riding with him in this assured, righteously new school Western include his former love Stagecoach Mary (Zazie Beetz), his right and left hand men — hot-tempered Bill Pickett (Edi Gathegi) and fast drawing Jim Beckwourth (R.J. Cyler)—and a surprising adversary-turned-ally. Rufus Buck has his own fearsome crew, including “Treacherous” Trudy Smith (Regina King) and Cherokee Bill (LaKeith Stanfield), and they are not a group that knows how to lose. Directed by Jeymes Samuel, written by Samuel and Boaz Yakin, produced by Shawn Carter, James Lassiter, Lawrence Bender and Jeymes Samuel, and featuring a red hot soundtrack and a stunning all-star cast, including Jonathan Majors, Zazie Beetz, Delroy Lindo, LaKeith Stanfield, Danielle Deadwyler, Edi Gathegi, R.J. Cyler, Damon Wayans Jr., Deon Cole with Regina King and Idris Elba revenge has never been served colder.
10/22 in select theaters, 11/3 Netflix

GoldenJCJ 08-23-21 06:09 PM

Re: The Harder They Fall (2021, D: Samuel) S: Elba, Majors, King, Stanfield, Beetz, Lindo - Netflix

I love a good western. Looks like a fun cast too!

dex14 09-28-21 08:10 AM

Re: The Harder They Fall (2021, D: Samuel) S: Elba, Majors, King, Stanfield, Beetz, Lindo - Netflix

Decker 09-28-21 08:56 AM

Oh yeah that looks good. So many great actors in that cast.

TomOpus 09-28-21 10:28 AM

I'll check it out.

Why So Blu? 09-28-21 06:00 PM

Looks badass.

dex14 11-03-21 07:15 AM

This up on Netflix today.

TomOpus 11-03-21 10:29 AM

45 mins in and it's been pretty awesome.

Paff 11-03-21 10:38 AM

So, this is not a sequel to the Jimmy Cliff reggae crime classic?

rexinnih 11-03-21 02:12 PM

This looks good. Added to Netflix queue.

Throwing Copper 11-03-21 02:44 PM

Hearing this movie is fire. Can’t wait.

thematahara 11-04-21 07:17 AM

Watched it last night. Just a lot of fun from beginning to end, and a great cast. Definitely in the top tier of Netflix movies.

dex14 11-04-21 07:44 AM

This is the director's 2013 short film that features some of these characters. It has a stacked cast as well.

I believe his intent is to make more films in the series... a sequel and a prequel.

OldBoy 11-04-21 11:12 AM

great cast and i love westerns. can't wait. will try to see a little tonight.

OldBoy 11-05-21 09:14 PM

This is by far rn my movie of the year. Great western. I love the more modern Westerns, 90’s, 2000’s. Oldies too. TGtBtU of course. Have all the other great Eastwood classics, but yet to see. Most of them I have anyway.

i have not seen a good western in a very long time. I didn’t love but remake of Mag Seven was probably last I saw in theater. I was disappointed. But probably last was The Salvation with Mads Mikkelsen that I saw and loved. Let Him Go is not traditional. I guess Hell or High Water which was great, but nothing like THTF.

This oozed style, great unknown (at least to me in Nat Love gang) and known (Idris as Rufus and his well known cohorts, Stanfield (still have to see Sorry to Bother You) and King) actors that just elevated whole movie. It’s a great dichotomy. The action, the incredible build up to that finale was intense.

i loved the dialogue, more modern and modern sayings and music and scenery gelled into an incredible movie Western. Different than others. Loved the African-American side to this world. Just a great and incredibly fun movie and if you’re into Westerns, you should love.

i won’t forget this one anytime soon. I was entranced from the first minute.

4.5/5

Koby 11-05-21 09:24 PM

It was alright.

csant 11-06-21 12:18 AM

That opening screen... what a start. I did not see the ending coming neither.

rocket1312 11-06-21 08:33 AM

This was obviously super stylish, but I was afraid the style (as fun as it was) would overwhelm any substance. Thankfully the confrontation with Idris at the end salvaged things in that respect. I thought the middle section dragged quite a bit, but overall this was good.

This isn't quite on the level of some of Netflix's prestige offerings in the last couple years, but it's a notch above most "weekly programmers" they pump out. I wish I could have seen this on the big screen. It would've played great with an audience

maxfisher 11-06-21 06:43 PM

Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. It does a great job of balancing a somewhat dark story with vibrant direction and a bunch of very talented actors having a very obvious blast putting their own personal stamps on some western archetypes.

OldBoy 11-06-21 07:19 PM

Watched the end again and it’s just masterful. I hope we get another. I knew
Spoiler:
Treacherous Trudy wasn’t dead.

Elba is always so mesmerizing in his few scenes, but Jonathan Majors a Nat Love eschewed coolness and charisma. He was the movie and I know it’s a long shot, but should be nominated. Just had a fantastic time with this one and will spur my return to genre. And who knew the director could also sing. Jeymes (love that spelling) Samuels also has song on soundtrack.

Fun world. Stylized violence. Great dialogue. Done so well. 2nd behind Chicago 7 in my favs of Netflix movies. The ones with Samara Weaving are up there too.

[email protected] 11-07-21 05:32 AM

Agree that this was really good, surprisingly so (critics haven't been quite so kind, with a 68 on MetaCritic). It was kinda like "what if Guy Richie made a Western"? Took a few minutes to get used to the style, but it worked in the end. And for a movie that runs 2:20, it didn't feel overly long.

csant 11-07-21 07:41 AM

The story here worked so well... after a day or two to think about it I want to see it again.

TomOpus 11-07-21 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 14008498)
Agree that this was really good, surprisingly so (critics haven't been quite so kind, with a 68 on MetaCritic). It was kinda like "what if Guy Richie made a Western"? Took a few minutes to get used to the style, but it worked in the end. And for a movie that runs 2:20, it didn't feel overly long.

RT is 86% and the critics I follow on YouTube all love it. So, I think it's a critical triumph considering it's a Netflix movie.

Throwing Copper 11-07-21 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 14008529)
RT is 86% and the critics I follow on YouTube all love it. So, I think it's a critical triumph considering it's a Netflix movie.

Yes, and 68 on Metacritic is good. It’s different than say a 68% on RT.

I always like Metacric better because it averages the 10-100 scores.

Decker 11-07-21 12:37 PM

I enjoyed the hell out of this. Totally in my wheelhouse. Very watchable, well made. Predictable and nothing spectacular but a lot of fun, stylish and well acted. Extremely violent, but thankfully not too graphic. Very entertaining cast and engaging characters.