Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What did Richard Gere do at the end of "Unfaithful"? [SPOILERS]

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: What did the couple decide to do?
The husband walks into the police station to turn himself in.
45.24%
They drive off and hope to get away with it.
28.57%
They run off to Mexico as discussed (or something similar).
11.90%
They frame Twikoff for the crime.
14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-03, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

****MAJOR SPOILERS...READ NO FURTHER UNLESS YOU HAVE SEEN UNFAITHFUL*****

The end of Unfaithful was left a bit ambiguous. Richard Gere and Diane Lane are seen at a red light on the street in front of a police station and talk about running off to Mexico. The question is...are they there to turn Dicky in, or will they drive off and try to get away with it. I personally wanted him to turn his wife in and blame the murder on her, that way he kills two birds with one stone. What do you think?
Old 02-17-03, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe it's the alternate ending where he (Gere) walks into the Police Station to turn himself in. It's my understanding that in the movie, they drive away to try to get away from it, which probably means moving to someplace else.
Old 02-17-03, 08:05 AM

First off, let me say that this was a fantastic ending.

Car pulls up to a stoplight. There is a police station on the corner. Gere's character is debating whether or not to turn himself in. The camera pans back and all that are in the frame are the car, the police station and the stop light that is red.

Stoplight turns green and the movie ends.

I do not think Gere chose to turn himself in. The green light indicates that they are free to go wherever they want and I think that's exactly what they did.
Old 02-17-03, 08:37 AM
Banned

I think they ran off and decided to start over.By the way, excellent point Geofferson on the green light.
Old 02-17-03, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Been a while since I saw it, but I believe he was going to turn himself in. Running doesn't make sense, since he has a family and all he'll certainly get caught.

If I remember right, when the light turns green, they don't go anywhere, which would seem to imply that he's going to be turning himself in (I am afraid I didn't like it enough other than Diane Lane [both Naked and not] to rent it and see if that's still what I think.

Last edited by Ginwen; 02-17-03 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-17-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good point about the green light. How much time is there onscreen after it turns green? If the car doesn't move even after it turns green, it may possibly mean that he's still unsure about what course to take. Anyway, I couldn't imagine himself going to turn himself in with the kid in the car...what would be the point?

As soon as the movie ended my wife said that they run off to Mexico where Richard Gere cheats on his wife and is killed by his saucy latin lover. I guess we'll have to wait for Unfaithful II: Electric Boogaloo to find out.
Old 02-17-03, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The alternate ending spelled it out that he turned himself in. I like the actual movie's ending better, it's wide open however you'd like to see it.
Old 02-18-03, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by Numanoid
Good point about the green light. How much time is there onscreen after it turns green?
Not long - only a few seconds. The light turns green. The car doesn't go anywhere and the screen fades to black. The whole point of this ending is that we are not supposed to know what Gere chooses to do. Though he has the option to do whatever he wants.
Old 02-21-03, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

In the alternate ending (unfortunately not on the DVD) he drives to a pet shop and buys a gerbil. We then see him in a hardware store, where he buys a foot of PVC pipe just big enough to fit the gerbil in.

In the final shot, we see him walking into a bathroom, carrying a large sack from the hardware store and little cardboard box with holes in the sides.
Old 02-21-03, 08:13 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
In the alternate ending (unfortunately not on the DVD) he drives to a pet shop and buys a gerbil. We then see him in a hardware store, where he buys a foot of PVC pipe just big enough to fit the gerbil in.

In the final shot, we see him walking into a bathroom, carrying a large sack from the hardware store and little cardboard box with holes in the sides.
Old 02-21-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Josh-da-man

It gives new meaning to the word Unfaithful....
Old 02-21-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am overly joyed that they did not include Richard Gere's ending. What a waste it would have been.

I love that you really do not know what happened, and it is all left up in the air.

I want to think that they went to Mexico. Although framing Twikoff would be my personal choice...
Old 02-23-03, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a similar question.
Spoiler:
Does R. Gere actually intend to kill the lover, or was it an accident caused by his apparent nausous reaction to finding the glass souvenoiur?
Old 02-24-03, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Jack Straw
I have a similar question.
Spoiler:
Does R. Gere actually intend to kill the lover, or was it an accident caused by his apparent nausous reaction to finding the glass souvenoiur?
I do not think he meant to kill the guy. It was just a reaction that wasn't thought through because of his reaction, IMO.

BTW, another reason why I enjoyed this movie so much was the symbolism that both the glass globe and the blue sweater showed.
Old 02-25-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

While the ending was left ambiguous, I felt he was going to turn himself in. I haven't seen it since the theatrical run, but as I remember, the conversation was very wistful, as what one wishes one could do.
Old 09-24-15, 07:41 AM

Re: What did Richard Gere do at the end of "Unfaithful"? [SPOILERS]

SPOILERS.......SPOILERS

I think he turned himself in, but...here is what he should of done. He should of told the police he went to his wife's lovers apartment, and the lover and husband were talking, and then the wife called and left the message that she was leaving the lover...which enraged the lover and he attacked Richard Gere and so he had to defend himself and clubbed him with the snow globe...self defense. The End. lol

Although either way, if the husband turned himself in, there is the "crime of passion" which he'd probably get probation, maybe a year jail time. Maybe psychological counseling. I'm not sure I'm not a lawyer. I just saw this movie tonight for the first time, I loved it. I think my first alibi was the best, of course we all know that the guilt they would live with would be unbearable probably leading to the couple divorcing anyway. So honesty is the best policy in the end.
Old 09-24-15, 08:28 AM
Banned

You spamming motherfucker.
Old 09-24-15, 11:52 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Quantumnerd View Post
So honesty is the best policy in the end.
I dunnooooo......I hear Progressive is the best policy. I could be wrong.
Old 09-24-15, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Not only do I not remember starting this thread, I do not even remember ever watching this movie.
Old 09-24-15, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 09-24-15, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

Old 09-24-15, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

It really disturbs the hell out of me that I know this reference.
Old 05-09-16, 10:48 PM

Actually, if you watch it longer, the light turns red again. You must have gotten up or turned it off too soon. Also the alternate ending is the same ending except he gets out of the truck and turns himself in. Bummer
Old 05-09-16, 11:10 PM
Banned

.....spam?
Old 05-10-16, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i know what he did.... he turned into an alley and took her to downtown

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.