Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What SINGLE movie of STEVEN SPIELBERG defines his entire career?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What SINGLE movie of STEVEN SPIELBERG defines his entire career?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-21, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: What SINGLE movie of STEVEN SPIELBERG defines his entire career?

I would just pick a year: 1993, when he did Jurassic Park and Schindler’s List.
The following 2 users liked this post by majorjoe23:
Crocker Jarmen (06-11-23), tanman (06-11-21)
Old 06-11-21, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Jaws

I would not consider any of the Indiana Jones films. IMO Spielberg was a director for hire for those, the same way Irvin Kershner & Richard Marquand were for ESB & ROTJ.
Old 06-11-21, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Old 06-11-21, 12:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

JAWS. nothing else compares. it is a classic among cinema. it was one of his firsts and it was incredible. plain and simple (especially now that many of us who watch the making of's know what went into this and that it got made at all). nothing has or will come close to this in his catalog (of which there are many amazing entries, many), but JAWS defines him and his career. without JAWS there simply isn't a "Steven Spielberg career".
Old 06-11-21, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Jaws

I would not consider any of the Indiana Jones films. IMO Spielberg was a director for hire for those, the same way Irvin Kershner & Richard Marquand were for ESB & ROTJ.
Eh, no. These have Spielberg's touch all over them. Unfortunately also Lucas's but you can't deny these are Spielberg films. Maybe not the ones that define him, but they could not be taken out of his filmography.
Old 06-11-21, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
Eh, no. These have Spielberg's touch all over them. Unfortunately also Lucas's but you can't deny these are Spielberg films. Maybe not the ones that define him, but they could not be taken out of his filmography.
Why unfortunate?
Old 06-11-21, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
without JAWS there simply isn't a "Steven Spielberg career".
People are just posting nonsense now.
Old 06-11-21, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

JAWS. nothing else compares. it is a classic among cinema. it was one of his firsts and it was incredible. plain and simple (especially now that many of us who watch the making of's know what went into this and that it got made at all). nothing has or will come close to this in his catalog (of which there are many amazing entries, many), but JAWS defines him and his career. without JAWS there simply isn't a "Steven Spielberg career".
Jaws is my favorite movie ever so I’m certainly not arguing against you but Schindler’s List is considered by many to be one of the Top 10 greatest films of all time.

Judging simply by the AFI Top 100, there are two Spielberg movies that rank higher than Jaws.

I guess the question is how we’d define “defines” in the thread title. Are we talking about the movie we think MADE Spielberg’s career or are we talking about the quintessential Spielberg movie, the one that you automatically think of when you hear the name “Spielberg”? I think depending how we interpret the question in the OP, determines what movie we pick.
Old 06-11-21, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Jaws is my favorite movie ever so I’m certainly not arguing against you but Schindler’s List is considered by many to be one of the Top 10 greatest films of all time.

Judging simply by the AFI Top 100, there are two Spielberg movies that rank higher than Jaws.

I guess the question is how we’d define “defines” in the thread title. Are we talking about the movie we think MADE Spielberg’s career or are we talking about the quintessential Spielberg movie, the one that you automatically think of when you hear the name “Spielberg”? I think depending how we interpret the question in the OP, determines what movie we pick.
What Single movie defined Hitchcock's career? Most would probably answered Psycho, but North By Northwest or Rear Window was imo his greatest film achievement.
Old 06-11-21, 09:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

I’m not saying he doesn’t have other classics. SL certainly (I mean he won the Oscar), SPR as well. I wouldn’t put SL in top 10 of all time, but I don’t knock it. E.T. could be there. Jurassic Park was technologically groundbreaking. But again, it’s Jaws, always has been, always will be.
Old 06-11-21, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

And I took it more as a single movie that sort of acts as a representation of his entire career. That's not necessarily his best or the one you automatically think of when you hear his name. So there are many ways you can look at it.

From the OP, it's the movie that represents who the man is and the kind of movies he creates.
Old 06-11-21, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
What Single movie defined Hitchcock's career? Most would probably answered Psycho, but North By Northwest or Rear Window was imo his greatest film achievement.
Those are all great, but for me it would be Vertigo.
Old 06-11-21, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 963 Likes on 670 Posts

I think that's what makes this a fun discussion is how the thread was somewhat vague and open to interpretation. Because if we were judging by Spielberg's "best" movie Schindler's List would objectively be considered his best.
Old 06-11-21, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

I don't equate box office to a defining movie. They're not mutually exclusive. As I stated in my pick, JAWS, while only his second theatrical film, had influenced the way he shot movies that followed, especially his attention to detail in the preproduction planning, he's big into storyboards, so as not to go over budget and sticks to his schedule and hits his delivery dates. Spielberg himself has also said, the success of Jaws was his free pass. It gave him final cut and his ability to do whatever films he wanted.
Old 06-12-21, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Which is funny because North by Northwest is my favorite Hitchcock movie and the one I’d choose for his career.

But I get what your saying.
Old 06-13-21, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

...but JAWS defines him and his career. without JAWS there simply isn't a "Steven Spielberg career".
Even if we assume you are correct about Jaws being the reason Spielberg achieved what he achieved (and I am not dismissing this opinion), I still would not say this is the film that "defines" his career, only the film that facilitated it.

Personally, I hold the very unpopular opinion that Jaws is the greatest American film of all time. That said, if I were to pick one film that defines his career, it would not be Jaws. I guess it boils down to whether a film defines a career from the perspective of the filmmaker him/herself or from the perspective of audiences. I was thinking of the latter when I answered this question.
Old 06-15-21, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
even a filmmaker like Zemeckis I don't think has a single film that defines his career (is it the perfect storytelling of Back To The Future? The technical achievements of Who Framed Roger Rabbit?/Forrest Gump? The motion capture films?)
Cast Away

Zemeckis had an amazing carrier leading up to 2000 much like Chuck Nolan at FedEx. Then he got stranded on a deserted island for a decade making mo-cap animated fare. Fortunately he made if off that island though and returned to us with Flight and Welcome to Marwan. Were we ready for his return, or did we all move on like Helen Hunt did?
Old 06-05-23, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

May even start a separate thread for this film (didn't see one).

It took me almost 30 years to watch Schindler's list. Just watched it last night for the first time. Not only is this Spielberg's best film but it may just be the best film ever made. Spielberg will NEVER be able to top this film either.

I literally wanted to jump through the screen and take out Ralph Fiennes's character myself. I read up on the person he portrayed and unfortunately found out that everything he did in the film happened in real life as well
Spoiler:
including his salute to Hitler right before they hung him

I wasn't expecting the violence to be as bad as it was because it was Spielberg, but I do appreciate him starting off light with it, but here's the thing, it's not just the violence that bothers me....I had to pause it when they were taking the Jews from their homes - it doesn't just upset me, it really pisses me off. I know it's a movie but due to the subject matter, It's tough for me to just sit there and be completely passive - it's just how I react to real world events like that - it really f'n bothers me. Even the part where they were cutting off the one person's hair - just enraging.

I didn't know about the ghetto's either, I didn't know they lived there first.

Also, I myself am not Jewish at all but back when I was in high school our history teacher had us watch the short film "Night and Fog" (which you can stream as well) which shows all real footage from Auschwitz (I believe it's Auschwitz - it was shocking.

I have problems when it comes to true crime, the Holocaust, etc.. and the reason is because before anything else, I put myself immediately in the victim's shoes and try to relate to how they felt.....I can't even last a couple of seconds with the thoughts.

It's not just how Spielberg presented the picture that makes it so great either. His choice for filming in black and white was an artistic one but if you notice, he gave the film and very aged look and feel with the black and white as well. He really nailed it.

If anyone knows, can you please explain why
Spoiler:
Schindler kissed the young girl for so long? Why did he do that??
was that hinting at something disgraceful about him that wasn't well known or something?

Amazing movie that unfortunately had to be made.

The following 2 users liked this post by Rival11:
Ash Ketchum (06-05-23), tanman (06-06-23)
Old 06-06-23, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 963 Likes on 670 Posts

I agree. As I stated two years ago now. It's his magnum opus hands down. I really don't think there's a debate for what his best film is. I only watched it once, on VHS too, and it's still stuck with me. I agree I think his choice of using B&W was brilliant. The scene with the little girl in red was memorable. I think Schindler's speech at the end was heartbreaking, Liam Nesson was robbed on that oscar. I really appreciated the end with the survivors and descendants placing the rocks on Schindler's grave. It was a great way to tie it back to real life and to remind the audience that this is a documentary.

I feel like it's fallen a bit too much out of the popular consciousness in recent years. I mean I get it's not an easy film to watch so you don't have anyone claiming it's their favorite movie ever and watching it 20 times in a row. Not to get too political but I hope it's not considered too controversial now. I hope people are still watching this, especially teens/young adults, I hope we never forget.
The following users liked this post:
Rival11 (06-06-23)
Old 06-06-23, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Schindler’s List.

My favorite Spielberg film is Jaws but Schindler’s List is his most significant film.
The following 2 users liked this post by ytrez:
Rival11 (06-06-23), TomOpus (06-07-23)
Old 06-06-23, 09:21 PM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Empire of the Sun (1987).

Old 06-06-23, 09:51 PM

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
That's interesting (yet makes total sense) to hear he doesn't autograph Schindler's List stuff.

Yep. Most of those people pushing and shoving are going to leave and take their signed items straight to eBay to get fat stacks.
Old 06-07-23, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

When I was going to meet Richard Dreyfus at a local con a few months ago, I was trying to decide which movie I had on 4k I wanted him to sign 2 out of the 3 candidates were Spielberg movies: Jaws and CEot3K. I asked his assistant which movie was Richard's favorite. He said "Always" another Spielberg movie.

And I'm glad no one said "Hook."
Old 06-07-23, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I agree. As I stated two years ago now. It's his magnum opus hands down. I really don't think there's a debate for what his best film is. I only watched it once, on VHS too, and it's still stuck with me. I agree I think his choice of using B&W was brilliant. The scene with the little girl in red was memorable. I think Schindler's speech at the end was heartbreaking, Liam Nesson was robbed on that oscar. I really appreciated the end with the survivors and descendants placing the rocks on Schindler's grave. It was a great way to tie it back to real life and to remind the audience that this is a documentary.

I feel like it's fallen a bit too much out of the popular consciousness in recent years. I mean I get it's not an easy film to watch so you don't have anyone claiming it's their favorite movie ever and watching it 20 times in a row. Not to get too political but I hope it's not considered too controversial now. I hope people are still watching this, especially teens/young adults, I hope we never forget.
Yeah, the end with the survivors really got to me as well.

I know I may get flack for this but I think the scene where Schindler breaks down was maybe the weakest part of the film - first because I don't think it ever happened and second, well.....he wasn't a great guy as a whole so it felt out of place, Now, without question the man has my respect for what he did, I'm not even going there and I'm sure he did have more feelings about saving more people.

Also, the best thing Spielberg did with Schindler's List was keep the focus on the Jewish people - now I know that might sound weird but what I'm saying is, I started to get to know a lot of the people due to how much the camera time they got....Spielberg did an excellent job about keeping it about the personal horrors they went through - he makes you always realize that while you're watching a movie, you need to be connected to these people for it to have the most impact and he did an exceptional job of that.

You're not being political at all either - Nobody should EVER forget what happened - it was beyond horrendous. I also agree that this film should never fade......I don't think it will either.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (06-08-23)
Old 06-07-23, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 189 Posts

E.T. and I wouldn’t put it in my top ten personal favorites from him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.