Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alamo Drafthouse Files for Chapter 11, Announces Sale to Altamont Capital, Fortress Investment

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alamo Drafthouse Files for Chapter 11, Announces Sale to Altamont Capital, Fortress Investment

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-21, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
Re: Alamo Drafthouse Files for Chapter 11, Announces Sale to Altamont Capital, Fortress Investment

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I'm trying to think positively as now two of my favorite theaters had to close in downtown KC. Eventually a theater chain will come in to replace the now vacant Mainstreet building and the other local chain said they hope their second theater can comeback when there are better days ahead.
It's too bad ScreenLand Armour theater sank all that money into their expansion and then having their other theater a victim of Covid. They would've been great to take over with some changes.
Old 03-09-21, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 208 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Alamo Drafthouse Files for Chapter 11, Announces Sale to Altamont Capital, Fortress Investment

More worried about the future of Mondo than the theaters. Greedy I guess, since I can get posters & albums, but haven't visited one of their theaters (yet).
Old 03-09-21, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
It's too bad ScreenLand Armour theater sank all that money into their expansion and then having their other theater a victim of Covid. They would've been great to take over with some changes.
On Facebook they said they hope the Tapcade might be able to come back if they fully recover from Covid.
Old 03-09-21, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

On Facebook they said they hope the Tapcade might be able to come back if they fully recover from Covid.
I thought it had closed for good. Last time i went there, I was in the theater by myself.
Old 03-09-21, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it had closed for good. Last time i went there, I was in the theater by myself.
It did close for good but they said on Facebook they hope they can bring back the theater after the threat of COVID goes down and if they can recover financially.
Old 04-07-21, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm putting this news here for the few KC people here. B&B Theaters might be a potential tenant for the Mainstreet Theater. This story seems like a rumor at the moment but it does say the Cordish Company who runs the Power and Light District is looking for a theater tennant to fill the now vacant building. I'd have no problem with B&B taking over but I wish they could have retro movies shown at the theater as well.
https://www.flatlandkc.org/news-issu...ouse-downtown/
Old 04-07-21, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm putting this news here for the few KC people here. B&B Theaters might be a potential tenant for the Mainstreet Theater. This story seems like a rumor at the moment but it does say the Cordish Company who runs the Power and Light District is looking for a theater tennant to fill the now vacant building. I'd have no problem with B&B taking over but I wish they could have retro movies shown at the theater as well.
https://www.flatlandkc.org/news-issu...ouse-downtown/
I'd rather it stay unique rather than become another B&B. There has to be a reason to go there that you can't find in other corporate theaters scattered around the metro.
Old 04-08-21, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There has to be a reason to go there that you can't find in other corporate theaters scattered around the metro.
Absolutely and I couldn't agree more. Ideally I hope whoever runs the theater next will keep it a dine in theater and continue to have retro programming to go along with new movies. Its good to know Cordish is looking to fill the building right away and it'll stay a movie theater.
Old 06-01-21, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadline

Alamo Drafthouse Completes Sale: Out Of Bankruptcy And Opening Five New Theaters As Box Office Revives

https://deadline.com/2021/06/alamo-d...es-1234767261/

In addition, the The Lower Manhattan, Staten Island (w/ Flying Guillotine bar), D.C., Crystal City, and St. Louis locations are back on track to open.
Old 06-01-21, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Opening five new theaters? It still pisses me off they left town.
Old 06-01-21, 02:36 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

I imagine that stings a bit.
The location near me has been doing decently, it seems. And they've stopped doing buffer seating.
They're still planning another location on the other side of Houston, too.
​​​​​​
Old 06-01-21, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing the KC location would still do better than a location in St. Louis.
Old 06-02-21, 03:04 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

We lost 2 here in town including their so-called flagship, but there's still 4 left. Still not hitting them anytime soon.
Old 06-02-21, 03:44 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

^ South Lamar (one of the older ones with arguably worse seating/rows) seems to be staying open, and will host Fantastic Fest this year. I'm tempted to go, but damn, why is Austin so expensive? Pshaw!
Old 06-02-21, 04:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

They renovated it a while back. Definitely no seating/row issues now. Everything seems so damn expensive now.
Old 06-03-21, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

A few weeks ago I went to see Wrath of Man at an Alamo Drafthouse (in Woodbridge, VA). It was the very first time I've ever been to the chain and I was *greatly* impressed. I dare say it was the best theater I've ever been to, considering their no-talking/phone policies, cleanliness, seating, food, and overall vibe. It was worth paying the premium. I really wish we'd get one here in Richmond.

My girlfriend lives an hour north from me and the Alamo is about 40 minutes further up the road from her. I imagine I'll be opting to make the trek to see movies there many more times in the future.
Old 06-07-21, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

I'm guessing the KC location would still do better than a location in St. Louis.
The theater will be part of a new "destination location" called the City Foundry, that's another effort to get people to actually come to the city from the suburbs. If you Google the term "Murder Capitol of The US", St. Louis is #1.This is a decades-long problem, and they'll build something (a high-end mall, a train station/mall ) that's intended to attract people to the city but they only have limited appeal and none have really stood the test of time. The Foundry will be near a major university. The city's long-standing arthouse (which had a huge college audience) has closed during COVID and has now been sold to a church. So there's an audience and perhaps it will succeed if it plays to that crowd. We'll see...

On another note, I went to the Drafthouse website and they promote it with a photo of a large crowd enjoying a film, and everyone has a big tray filled with film food in front of them and big metal bowls of popcorn. Is this what it's actually like? What if you're not eating?
Old 06-07-21, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm well aware of the crime problems in St. Louis. Yes that photo is what the Drafthouse is like. You can place a food order from your seat and a waiter brings it to you.