Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What movies are among your favorites that no one else ever talks about?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What movies are among your favorites that no one else ever talks about?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-20, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,480 Likes on 4,433 Posts
Re: What movies are among your favorites that no one else ever talks about?

I’ve never even heard of The Power of One. What is it about?
Old 06-14-20, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,344 Likes on 2,137 Posts

After looking at the posters for Revenge and No Way Out it’s no wonder I always get those two movies confused.
Old 06-14-20, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 461 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I’ve never even heard of The Power of One. What is it about?
This is the movie sypnosis:
It's the 1930s, and as the people he cares for die or leave his village, young South African P.K. bonds with much older Doc (Armin Mueller-Stahl). A foreigner, Doc is detained when World War II starts, but from his prison cell he encourages P.K. to learn boxing. As he travels to different bouts, the adult P.K. (Stephen Dorff) forges relationships that anger the state's apartheid government -- but his reunion with his onetime schoolyard nemesis (Daniel Craig) may offer his biggest challenge yet.
I still have my DVD copy of this movie.
Old 06-14-20, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 451 Likes on 329 Posts

Power of One is worth a watch if you have never seen it. I still have the old dvd. Warner Archive released it on dvd but no bluray and it's also available in HD to rent or purchase on Amazon Prime.
Old 06-14-20, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,480 Likes on 4,433 Posts

Two old HBO Original Movies that are among the very best movies about the history of modern medicine ever made. Both stream on HBO services.

And The Band Played On (1993)
A deadly epidemic is spreading around the world. But when it first began, no one paid attention. Matthew Modine stars in this medical thriller as a young doctor tracking the disease halfway around the world and across two continents--and whose work is thwarted at every turn by fear, official indifference and bitter medical rivalries.
This exploration of the discovery of the AIDS epidemic is as timely today as it was when this movie came out in the midst of the outbreak. Plus Phil Collins cameo!

Something The Lord Made (2004)
Two men--one a wealthy white chief surgeon, the other a poor black lab technician--achieve a monumental medical breakthrough that earned one accolades...and the other a painful lesson in racism and unequal opportunity in 1940s Baltimore. Alan Rickman and Mos Def star in this 'HBO Films' drama.
A really great, moving film about the systemic racism in medicine in the 1940s and the pioneering pediatric heart surgery that has saved countless lives and is still being used (in a modified form) to this day. Wonderful performances by both leads. I still recommend to the parents of my pediatric heart patients that they watch it.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (06-23-20)
Old 06-14-20, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 776 Likes on 632 Posts

I liked it at the time and wished it got a blu-ray release or maybe it was a bad movie and I was one of the two people that liked it.
Old 06-14-20, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Alright, how about Without Limits? That is the much-better of the two simultaneously made biopics on long distance Olympic runner Steve Prefontaine. It was produced by Tom Cruise but he was already too old to play him by the time it got made. Instead he is played by Billy Crudip in a wonderful performance. Great supporting work by Monica Potter and Donald Southerland. Written and directed by legendary Hollywood screenwriter and script doctor Robert Towne. I love this movie and have it on DVD. Wish it came to Blu but it never did. You can watch it for free with ads on VUDU right now.

https://youtu.be/e2MpP3M9oCk
Good one. Also the one of the two actually made in Eugene. The other one was made at the University of Washington. I still remember the summer they shot, was so hot, can't imagine being an extra dressed in 70s outfits sitting in that kind of heat. Fun times with the premiere, Cruise and, IIRC, Sutherland attended. Can't remember if Crudup was there also.

I would think this would be a good Blu-ray release through the Warner Archive Collection.

Anyway, my go-to in underrated favorites, and I've mentioned this a few times before in other threads: Quick Change.
Old 06-14-20, 08:10 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,238 Likes on 878 Posts

^^ is that a milkshake all over him? Hmm... I'd watch it.
Old 06-14-20, 10:18 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 984 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

I liked it at the time and wished it got a blu-ray release or maybe it was a bad movie and I was one of the two people that liked it.
i love The Weather Man, always have since i saw it the first time and think it's a great vintage Cage movie.
The following users liked this post:
JeffTheAlpaca (06-15-20)
Old 06-14-20, 10:19 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 984 Likes on 821 Posts

The Hitcher (1986)...wow. just wow! i haven't seen this in so long and it is such a great movie. tense, suspenseful, horrific. this blew me away back then and it still blows me away. this is a serial killer movie done incredibly right by Robert Harmon.

The players, C. Thomas and Rutger Hauer were just perfect. this German LE Blu-ray looks fucking fantastic and I haven't seen it look this good since theaters and even that I don't remember at all, but pristine quality. and the sporadic commentary by Hauer, Harmon and Howell is great. Also, one with screenwriter Eric Red which i put on and off and it was good too. But, the main attraction is the 38 minute making of docu with all the main players sans Leigh is fantastic and looks great in HD. i had the UK SE DVD, but never fucking got around to seeing it. it was just so good. to think that Terence Stamp was Harmon's first choice and then Sam Elliot, who dropped out at last minute. and so great that Hauer got it and was just perfect as John Ryder.

this is imo and underlooked at gem. so perfect for it's time, so perfect anytime you want a take you by the balls, action, horror, suspense movie. love it so much. this Blu-ray is a gem and now, one of the best in my collection. sure, it's not loaded with extras, really only the 1 extra and 2 commentaries, but the picture quality and those extras make it one of my favorites and cannot recommend it enough if you love this film.

Old 06-14-20, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rexinnih

Thank you Criterion for finally releasing it.
I was channel surfing this evening and thanks to this thread I caught that this was airing on TCM late tonight. I’ve got it set to record and will give it a watch some time this week.
Old 06-15-20, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 235 Likes on 171 Posts

A few more that I love that nobody seems to talk about much:

Breaking Glass

French Postcards

Brimstone & Treacle (oddly MIA on Blu-ray)

Old 06-15-20, 06:39 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,238 Likes on 878 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I was channel surfing this evening and thanks to this thread I caught that this was airing on TCM late tonight. I’ve got it set to record and will give it a watch some time this week.
The full 4hr47min version? Nice.
Old 06-15-20, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,311 Likes on 955 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
According to Wikipedia:

The original version of the film ran 20 hours.[3] Nevertheless, several shortened versions of the film have been commercially distributed or publicly screened. Wenders was contractually obligated by his backers to deliver a standard feature-length film, so he edited it into the 158- and 179-minute American and European cuts; Wenders referred to these as the "Reader's Digest" versions of the film. Meanwhile, he and his editor Peter Przygodda secretly made a complete copy of the film negatives for themselves at their own expense,[11][12] and over the next year they worked on a 5-hour version of the film, then screened it at events across the country for over the next decade. A version similar to that shown at these screenings was released as a 280-minute trilogy.[13]A 4K digital restoration of the 287-minute director's cut was made in 2014 from the original Super 35mm camera negative, and was commissioned by the Wim Wenders Foundation and supervised by the director and his wife Donata, at ARRI Film & TV Services Berlin, with the support of the CNC. This version was screened for the first time in the U.S. at several art house theaters in the fall of 2015 as part of a retrospective tour of Wenders' filmography by Janus Films.[14] This version was in two parts and has an intermission at 2 hours, 15 minutes. It debuted on Television in the U.S. on Turner Classic Movies in July 2017.

There is a 239-minute letter-boxed and subtitled laserdisc release from Japan, and there are several unauthorized fan edits that combine portions of the aforementioned releases.[15]

In September 2019, The Criterion Collection announced a special edition Blu-ray and DVD of the film, featuring a 4K restoration of Wim Wenders' 287-minute cut, and was released on December 10, 2019 for both Region A & Region 1
Old 06-15-20, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan
I didn’t realize there were multiple versions. The one I recorded off of TCM shows a running time of 2 hours and 15 minutes. That’s just the time blocked off for it. I’m sure the actual movie runs a few minutes shorter than that.
Old 06-15-20, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 470 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
A few more that I love that nobody seems to talk about much:

Breaking Glass

I love Breaking Glass but hate that pictured Blu-ray as it is cut. I own the uncut UK DVD and I'm hoping they will release the full version on Blu-ray over there sometime.
Old 06-15-20, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 107 Posts

Hangin' With The Homeboys
Old 06-15-20, 01:02 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Old 06-15-20, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,066 Likes on 749 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I didn’t realize there were multiple versions. The one I recorded off of TCM shows a running time of 2 hours and 15 minutes. That’s just the time blocked off for it. I’m sure the actual movie runs a few minutes shorter than that.
Yes, the version streaming on The Criterion Channel runs approx 4:48.

If you wanted to watch that one, you could get the 14 day free trial, assuming you don't already subscribe.
Old 06-16-20, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a lot of favorite old movies that I still enjoy while noone else talks about or that they dont know about

The Gate
The Gate 2
Flesh Eating Mothers
Wilder Napalm
Space Raiders
The Boogens
Blood Beach
Vampire in Brooklyn
Scavenger Hunt
Drop Dead Fred
Monkey Shines
old 1980s Deadtime Stories
Black Cauldron
Lion King II
Sea Gypsies
Super Fuzz
Pirates of Penzance the movie
Old 06-17-20, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

IMO, his last good movie (and the best plane crash scene ever)
Old 06-17-20, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,086 Posts

The Power of One has a fantastic soundtrack too.

I just recently bought a digital copy of Best of the Best - I loved it growing up but figured it wouldn't hold up. IT TOTALLY DOES. And it has James Earl Jones in it. That movie doesn't get talked about enough.

Old 06-17-20, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 786 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
The Power of One has a fantastic soundtrack too.

I just recently bought a digital copy of Best of the Best - I loved it growing up but figured it wouldn't hold up. IT TOTALLY DOES. And it has James Earl Jones in it. That movie doesn't get talked about enough.

It kind of strayed in the sequel with the Bloodsport/Kickboxer theme. Still, it was good to see an Asian lead. I mean, Chris Penn doing martial arts? Who knew?! Simon Rhee and his brother had been fight choreographers and stuntmen for such a long time.
Old 06-17-20, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,086 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
It kind of strayed in the sequel with the Bloodsport/Kickboxer theme. Still, it was good to see an Asian lead. I mean, Chris Penn doing martial arts? Who knew?! Simon Rhee and his brother had been fight choreographers and stuntmen for such a long time.
Oh the sequels have nothing on the original. I hadn't read the backstory on the movie and it was interesting that Simon Rhee really made it happen.

Most of the American "fighting" movies from that era don't hold up because we are so used to how things look now but I really thought this one did. There are some fantastic moves, especially in the final fights.
Old 06-17-20, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 312 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.