Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that you pretend they dont exist

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movies that you pretend they dont exist

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-22, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Movies that you pretend they dont exist

Originally Posted by CyberpunkCentra
Superman III and IV.
Talk about soft spot. For whatever reason I've always loved Superman III. It's completely different than the first two but for me it works a a campy "comedy" episode in the series. From Richard Pryor to the weather machine, to the robot at the end, it all works for me.

IV on the other hand has not redeeming qualities.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (03-02-22)
Old 03-01-22, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts

Since it looks like DTV sequels can be included in this thread, and although I have brought this up on other threads, I like to think The Hidden 2 is a movie that was never made. I saw Species 2 in theaters, but I can easily and happily forget this film exists, especially as I actually enjoyed watching the DTV sequels to the Species franchise much more than Species 2 (I do not remember the film at all).
Since Alligator is on my mind, I seem to remember watching Alligator 2 many years back just because I saw that it exists, but I remember nothing from the film and can act like Alligator was one and done (which it technically was, since the sequel really has no significant tie-in between the main actors in Alligator and Alligator 2).

Everyone else has already covered stuff like some of the Alien series sequels, some of the Predator series films (Predator 2 is a fave of mine, the rest I can take or leave, mostly leave), some of the Star Wars films, some of the The Matrix films, and other film franchises that I mostly have no say in because they are horror franchises and I mostly do not do horror (I did watch I believe at least the first 4-5 OG Halloween films before they started to get rebooted by Rob Zombie).

It is telling that even though I have a pretty good memory, that I remember pretty much nothing from some of the above films that I watched, which goes to show just how unmemorable they were.
Old 03-01-22, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,660 Likes on 2,628 Posts

I remember this movie popping up on TV in the mid 1980s and seeing it as a kid and then saying....OMG, a new Bruce Lee movie I've never seen, I thought he was dead?

Then I saw it was a mish mash of badly edited clips from previous movies and stunt doubles.
Old 03-01-22, 06:12 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Matrix 4.
Old 03-01-22, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 729 Likes on 594 Posts

All Julia Roberts rom coms
Old 03-01-22, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

I know it's been mentioned but seriously, fuck Alien 3. Lots of movies have bad sequels but very few go out of their way to purposely shit on their predecessor.
Old 03-01-22, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,898 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I also stopped halfway through RoboCop 2, so probably that one as well.
When I finally saw Robocop 2, I was kind of surprised that I didn't hate it. It might be because I went in with really lowered expectations, but I thought it was aggressively okay.

Robocop 3, on the other hand...
IBJoel (03-03-22)
Old 03-02-22, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 351 Likes on 270 Posts

Jurassic Park 3

I’ve tried to watch it 3 times throughout the years and can only get through the first 30 minutes each time. Then I give up. I’ve seen all the other JP films without a problem. JP3 is my kryptonite.
Old 03-02-22, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

The Batman.

Old 03-02-22, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Jurassic Park 3

I’ve tried to watch it 3 times throughout the years and can only get through the first 30 minutes each time. Then I give up. I’ve seen all the other JP films without a problem. JP3 is my kryptonite.
I really enjoy JP3. It's a modern take on the 50's Monster on the Loose movie. I grew up watching those movies and still love them. Great stuff!

JP3 channels that style and modernizes it. With MUCH better effects. It's fun.
The following 3 users liked this post by B5Erik:
IBJoel (03-03-22), kd5 (03-04-22), MLBFan24 (03-02-22)
Old 03-02-22, 03:14 PM

Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
Talk about soft spot. For whatever reason I've always loved Superman III. It's completely different than the first two but for me it works a a campy "comedy" episode in the series. From Richard Pryor to the weather machine, to the robot at the end, it all works for me.

IV on the other hand has not redeeming qualities.
My main problem with those movies is, other than the fact they are just plain bad, they don't take advantage of the Superman lore. All those great characters from the comics like Brainiac, Bizarro, and Darkseid, yet we get some computer, a guy named Bubba, and Nuclear Man. Making them worthless. I can watch a bad comic book movie, like Batman Forever and Batman & Robin for example, if it at least has some fan service.
Old 03-02-22, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,756 Likes on 1,898 Posts

I think Superman III was to feature Brainiac at one point, but Warners didn't want to pony up the cash for a big special effects extravaganza, so they settled on Richard Pryor.

It's also how Paramount seems to have run the Star Trek movie franchise; the initial pitches and scripts are for these big ambitious films, then they get whittled down and compromised by the bean counters, and you end up with stuff like Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Star Trek Generations, and Star Trek Insurrection.
IBJoel (03-03-22)
Old 03-02-22, 04:22 PM

WB was just being cheap. Yes, recent versions of Brainiac looks expensive to do now. But at that time, they could have gone with an actor with green make-up, or Brainiac in his robot form done in puppeteering.

Old 03-02-22, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 817 Likes on 691 Posts

The cost is why we've never gotten a Superman-in-space movie away from Earth, and why we keep getting Zod and Luthor as his villains on screen.
Old 03-02-22, 05:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
The Batman.
You haven't seen it.
The following 2 users liked this post by GLSWIA123:
IBJoel (03-03-22), Wolf359 (03-02-22)
Old 03-02-22, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The cost is why we've never gotten a Superman-in-space movie away from Earth, and why we keep getting Zod and Luthor as his villains on screen.
7 or 8 Superman-related movies now and STILL no Brainiac.
Old 03-03-22, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts

The 1997 Special Editions and any further "revisions" of the Star Wars Trilogy.
Old 03-03-22, 05:31 PM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think Superman III was to feature Brainiac at one point, but Warners didn't want to pony up the cash for a big special effects extravaganza, so they settled on Richard Pryor.

It's also how Paramount seems to have run the Star Trek movie franchise; the initial pitches and scripts are for these big ambitious films, then they get whittled down and compromised by the bean counters, and you end up with stuff like Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Star Trek Generations, and Star Trek Insurrection.

The following 2 users liked this post by IBJoel:
majorjoe23 (03-03-22), PhantomStranger (03-03-22)
Old 03-04-22, 05:52 PM
Cool New Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

I think the Vera Webster was meant to be the Brainiac character at the end of the film,.