Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies that you pretend they dont exist

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-20, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Blade 3 Trinity
CHUD 2 Bud the Chud but its there
Critters 3
Critters 4
Freddy's Dead the Final Nightmare
Police Academy 5, 6 and 7. They should have ended it properly with Citizens on Patrol anyway back then
Old 04-27-20, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Re: Movies that you pretend they dont exist

Highlander 2
The following users liked this post:
B5Erik (03-01-22)
Old 04-27-20, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

The Incredible Hulk - I still haven’t seen that movie because I really dislike the Hulk. I’ve seen all the other MCU movies through Endgame.

(haven’t seen Far From Home yet, but I’ll eventually stream it)

but still no desire to watch the Hulk origin movie to “complete” the MCU viewing process
Old 04-27-20, 11:39 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
The Incredible Hulk - I still haven’t seen that movie because I really dislike the Hulk. I’ve seen all the other MCU movies through Endgame.

(haven’t seen Far From Home yet, but I’ll eventually stream it)

but still no desire to watch the Hulk origin movie to “complete” the MCU viewing process
this version is not really an origin tale...
Old 04-27-20, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,191 Likes on 2,059 Posts

After watching it last week I gotta go with Rambo: Last Blood. The last movie gave Rambo a great send off. I prefer to think he made it home and spent the rest of his days in peace on his father’s farm. The character earned a calm, violence free life.
Old 04-27-20, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

Probably a bit more of an obvious answer but, while I like elements of the Sequel Trilogy in my mind I’m okay with saying that Return of the Jedi is the true end to the Skywalker saga. It’s just a way better and more fitting ending versus a trilogy of films that don’t add much to the story told in the main six films and feel more tacked on than anything.
Old 04-27-20, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

The SW prequels. All GARBAGE.
Old 04-27-20, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

American Ninja 5. Has absolutely nothing to do with the series. Basically a family friendly movie in name only.

Old 04-27-20, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Anything after Alien 3
Anything after Terminator 2
Anything after the first Matrix
Anything after Halloween 3

Old 04-27-20, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

The Matrix 2 and 3

I guess I'm going to forget about number 4 too...Maybe?
Old 04-27-20, 01:41 PM

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,120 Posts

It would be interesting to show someone who has never seen and doesn't know much about Star Wars, yet is open to watching it, just Star Wars and Return of the Jedi, as if there is no Empire Strikes Back. Then down the road, show that to them and see what happens.
Old 04-27-20, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by story
It would be interesting to show someone who has never seen and doesn't know much about Star Wars, yet is open to watching it, just Star Wars and Return of the Jedi, as if there is no Empire Strikes Back. Then down the road, show that to them and see what happens.
Why specifically Empire? It's not like there aren't several plot points in Empire that carry over directly to Return, I'd think at the very least they'd be super confused at the skip.
Old 04-27-20, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think just A New Hope would stand well on its own if you pretended that’s all it was. If you go right to Return of the Jedi it probably would still be enjoyable enough if you enjoyed the first film, but there would clearly be a missing piece. Its like that with most trilogies and isn’t something unique to Star Wars.
Old 04-27-20, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 905 Likes on 667 Posts

Halloween Resurrection
Halloween 2 (Zombie)
Glass
Star Wars 7-9
Jaws after 2
Terminator after 2
Godzilla 1998
Hangover 2 & 3

Old 04-27-20, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mike86
Probably a bit more of an obvious answer but, while I like elements of the Sequel Trilogy in my mind I’m okay with saying that Return of the Jedi is the true end to the Skywalker saga. It’s just a way better and more fitting ending versus a trilogy of films that don’t add much to the story told in the main six films and feel more tacked on than anything.
To me, the Skywalker trilogy begins with A New Hope and ends with Return of the Jedi. I enjoy the sequel trilogy but they feel far enough removed from the OT that they are perfectly fine not being directly connected. Similar to the Rocky series and Creed. They’re connected but easy enough to separate.

The Prequel trilogy are borderline useless to me. The replay value is almost non-existent so they’re easy enough to discard completely. I don’t need to know about Darth Vader as a boy or who Luke and Leia’s mom was. One throwaway line about “clone wars” in A New Hope never whet my appetite enough to watch an entire series around it. Anything I could have imagined the clone wars being was better than what we were ended up being shown.
Old 04-27-20, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222
Anything after Halloween 3
Are you referring to the David Gordon Green Movie too? I guess it’s hard to keep both Halloween 2 and DGG’s Halloween in continuity since one discounts the other but I still feel it was a worthy follow up to the original.

I look forward to the next couple of movies.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 04-27-20 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-27-20, 03:01 PM

Received 1,898 Likes on 1,120 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Why specifically Empire? It's not like there aren't several plot points in Empire that carry over directly to Return, I'd think at the very least they'd be super confused at the skip.
I think just A New Hope would stand well on its own if you pretended that’s all it was. If you go right to Return of the Jedi it probably would still be enjoyable enough if you enjoyed the first film, but there would clearly be a missing piece. Its like that with most trilogies and isn’t something unique to Star Wars.
Exactly! That's why I think it would be interesting. Could they pick up on the story without the middle chapter, which is usually thought to be the best chapter. What would it be like to experience Empire Strikes Back on its own, separate from the initial experience.

I also wonder what would happen to start someone with Empire Strikes Back instead of Star Wars.
Old 04-27-20, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think starting with The Empire Strikes Back and going into Return of the Jedi would be easier. No doubt that Jedi relies on Empire as it’s glue. Maybe that’s a knock against it, but I still like it and feel it’s a good closing chapter.
Old 04-27-20, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think starting with The Empire Strikes Back and going into Return of the Jedi would be easier. No doubt that Jedi relies on Empire as it’s glue. Maybe that’s a knock against it, but I still like it and feel it’s a good closing chapter.
Right. It's not as extreme as, say, Back to the Future 2 and 3, but they are clearly part of a continuous storyline. I think people could pick things up because there have always been plotlines in between the movies anyway, and maybe our imaginations would fill in the gaps similar to how it did for the clone wars and the jedi massacre.

I always wondered (because I was too young to remember) what people felt at the end of Empire... did they know that Return was coming for sure? Because as a standalone, as much as I love that movie that ending is up in the air. Like Infinity War without Endgame.
Old 04-27-20, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Right. It's not as extreme as, say, Back to the Future 2 and 3, but they are clearly part of a continuous storyline. I think people could pick things up because there have always been plotlines in between the movies anyway, and maybe our imaginations would fill in the gaps similar to how it did for the clone wars and the jedi massacre.

I always wondered (because I was too young to remember) what people felt at the end of Empire... did they know that Return was coming for sure? Because as a standalone, as much as I love that movie that ending is up in the air. Like Infinity War without Endgame.
Yeah, as great as The Empire Strikes Back is it still really needed a third film to tie things up. If it just ended like that and nothing else ever came for whatever hypothetical reason I wonder how revered it would be. That ending on its own would be pretty unsatisfying and leaves a lot dangling. I know a lot of people like to knock Return of the Jedi as the weakest of the Original Trilogy, and it’s not a perfect film by any stretch, but it does manage to wrap things up in a way that’s overall pretty well done.
Old 04-27-20, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by story
My first thought would be that they would wonder why Luke became a major pussy when it came to his attitude toward Vader.

Without knowing anything about their backstory, the viewer would think that Luke went from celebrating the (seeming) destruction of Vader to believing there’s good in him and doing everything in his power to save him.
Old 04-27-20, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Son of the Mask
Robocop sequels
The Crow sequels
Home Alone 3

A Good Day to Die Hard

Old 04-27-20, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Are you referring to the David Gordon Green Movie too? I guess it’s hard to keep both Halloween 2 and DGG’s Halloween in continuity since one discounts the other but I still feel it was a worthy follow up to the original.

I look forward to the next couple of movies.
Yes, any of the films that John Carpenter has no direct involvement I can do without, which means whatever came after Season of the Witch.
Old 04-27-20, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
Yes, any of the films that John Carpenter has no direct involvement I can do without, which means whatever came after Season of the Witch.
Carpenter was the Executive Producer of Halloween 2018. He approved the script. He's notoriously picky on what he attaches his name to. That's why he passed on being involved with 4 through 8.

Last edited by DJariya; 04-27-20 at 08:34 PM.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (05-22-20)
Old 04-27-20, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

People keep saying that The Matrix sequels ruined The Matrix. Not for me. I ignore them and enjoy the original movie again whenever I'm in the right mood.

I like Deathstalker II. The first Deathstalker movie was bad, and the third movie is a weak attempt to repeat the success of the second one. So I only watch the middle movie of the trilogy.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.