Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 Virus -- Movie related news

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 03-12-20, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dex14
Print Wikipost

COVID-19 Virus -- Movie related news

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-20, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts
Re: COVID-19 Virus -- Movie related news

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Just saw this tidbit. AMC is celebrating 100 years and is reopening select theaters here on Aug 20th. Opening day ticket price will be like in 1920... 15 cents.
That seems like it could backfire, with crowds assembling to get tickets and/or get in, and people upset if they sell out of screenings while only at 50% capacity.
Old 08-13-20, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts

The grand re-opening is set for 8/20 but my theater is still closed because they'll need state and county permission to re-open. It may be just red states that open up first. I also saw that auditoriums will only be 30% full.
Old 08-13-20, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,704 Likes on 2,662 Posts

When California was at a 4 pct positive rate, they gave the green light for theatres to open. But the big chains were not ready to open yet. Once it jumped to over 7, they nixed it. Right now we are still around 7 pct so it’s not happening here for awhile.
Old 08-13-20, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk God

Smart. This guy bought 10 tickets for the 15 cent price so he could have the theatre practically all to himself

The following users liked this post:
Deftones (08-13-20)
Old 08-13-20, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
So their bestselling movie will look like a three-week old rom-com's Sunday matinee audience. And it'll be a movie that everyone in the theater can watch at home instead.

Ok, good luck Regal!
We get it...stay hidden in your home. The rest of us will go on.
Old 08-13-20, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
Smart. This guy bought 10 tickets for the 15 cent price so he could have the theatre practically all to himself

https://twitter.com/memles/status/12...793582592?s=21
There's some updates. AMC is enforcing alternate rows, but NOT spacing between parties in the same row, at least not with his original arrangement. So someone was able to buy a seat right next to one of his for a BTTF screening. He's made another attempt to make a seating arrangement that stops anyone else from buying a seat.

Old 08-13-20, 12:57 PM
Political Exile

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

I would assume the 15 cent price was to entice people to purchase popcorn and drinks, not for a single person to buy up all of the tickets to block anyone from participating in this promotion.
Old 08-13-20, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PerryD
I would assume the 15 cent price was to entice people to purchase popcorn and drinks, not for a single person to buy up all of the tickets to block anyone from participating in this promotion.
"The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry", and all that.

They make the prices so cheap as to be nearly free, and we're in a pandemic, and they didn't consider that some people would actually pursue the dream of having a movie theater all to themselves?

I say let the people buy out the screenings. Show the AMC owners the absurdity of the situation, and also keep people away from a potential exposure risk, while also letting the employees work in a mostly empty building, reducing their risk.
Old 08-13-20, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,324 Likes on 4,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
"The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry", and all that.

They make the prices so cheap as to be nearly free, and we're in a pandemic, and they didn't consider that some people would actually pursue the dream of having a movie theater all to themselves?

I say let the people buy out the screenings. Show the AMC owners the absurdity of the situation, and also keep people away from a potential exposure risk, while also letting the employees work in a mostly empty building, reducing their risk.
I mentioned this in another thread : Cinemark this weekend is renting out theaters for $99 for up to 20 guests. Way more expensive than this deal, but it does guaranty the theater for yourself, and you get to chose from 18 movies. My daughter and her friends and family will be watching Empire Strikes Back on Saturday night.
Old 08-13-20, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker
I mentioned this in another thread : Cinemark this weekend is renting out theaters for $99 for up to 20 guests. Way more expensive than this deal, but it does guaranty the theater for yourself, and you get to chose from 18 movies. My daughter and her friends and family will be watching Empire Strikes Back on Saturday night.
That phrasing makes it sound like you weren't invited.....
Old 08-14-20, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jay G.
That phrasing makes it sound like you weren't invited.....
I am part of her family.
Old 08-14-20, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I am part of her family.
Right, which is why it's odd it wasn't phrased like "me and my family, along with some of my daughter's friends..." Your phrasing made it seem like you were being excluded somehow.
Old 08-14-20, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 362 Likes on 305 Posts

That's such a great deal.

I'm definitely not in one of the States that is doing the promotion though
Old 08-14-20, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk God

So question for some of you here. Should we make a review thread for Tenet and New Mutants. For all intents and purposes it's opening, but maybe not in your city.

If you live in a big city and can't see it, then it's your responsibility to not read it for spoilers.

New Mutants opens in 2 weeks.
Old 08-15-20, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts

Hmmm .....

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/gloc-s...hn-rhys-davies

Some films are not able to get insurance for older actors, such as John Rhys-Davies.

Rhys-Davies: I've just lost two films on the grounds that they can't get insurance for older actors against COVID-19. I'm just at the bottom end of that 75 to 90 [age] range that has apparently got three-quarters of a foot in the grave — or actually up to the knees in the grave. There is a tiny little bit in the back of my mind that's thinking, "It could be over." When I'm hearing concert organizer friends of mine say, "We don't expect to be doing anything until 2022," I take that to be some sort of measure as to what might be happening in the film world.

Moyer: I think the film world has slightly more opportunity, purely because we don't have to have an audience. But I appreciate that. It must be very difficult for you, John. The problem that we have is getting bonded. Films are getting to the point where they've been created and cast, but they can't get bonded in case somebody gets ill.

Van Dien: I just got a job where I'm only working two weeks on it, but I have to go out two weeks before and stay quarantined in a hotel room. Couldn't see my kids or anything like that — can't see anybody. I have to stay in a room completely by myself for two weeks and then they have to film and do all the tests, so I have to weigh out the pros and cons of it.

Rhys-Davies: You have to make the risk-reward calculation. You're both young and healthy and I'm guessing COVID-19 would probably rock you a bit, but not really do permanent damage. But you can't actually know.

Old 08-15-20, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 362 Likes on 305 Posts

So question for some of you here. Should we make a review thread for Tenet and New Mutants. For all intents and purposes it's opening, but maybe not in your city.

If you live in a big city and can't see it, then it's your responsibility to not read it for spoilers.

New Mutants opens in 2 weeks.
I think so.

The small Drive-In Chain that is closest to where I live said they would be showing New Mutants on release.
Old 08-17-20, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2020/08/new-yor...mo-1203015136/

If you live in New York, Andrew Cuomo said theatres aren't opening anytime soon.

Sounds like it's very low on his priority list of businesses to reopen.
Old 08-17-20, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by asianxcore
That's such a great deal.

I'm definitely not in one of the States that is doing the promotion though
This weekend they have expanded the offer to include two new movies : Unhinged and Words on Bathroom Walls (whatever that one is). Those are $150 though.
Old 08-17-20, 02:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I looked it up, and it's a real movie called....Words on Bathroom Walls. Um, wow.
Old 08-18-20, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk God

I watched Andrew Cuomo's sound bite from his press conference yesterday when a reporter asked about why movie theatres are still closed in NY, yet you're opening gyms.

From his tone, IMO he does not give a shit about movie theatres. He does not think they are a necessary business to open right now. He believes that more New Yorkers care about going back to the gym instead.

He reiterated several times that he thinks that business is too risky to open right now. The theatre owners in NY are angry with him because his office will not even talk to them about their health and safety protocols that they implemented.

I understand both perspectives. The theatre owners want to show they can open safely. On Cuomo's end, movie theatres and entertainment are not a priority for him right now. But I don’t get why bowling alleys get priority.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-18-20 at 12:30 PM.
Old 08-18-20, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I watched Andrew Cuomo's sound bite from his press conference yesterday when a reporter asked about why movie theatres are still closed in NY, yet you're opening gyms.

From his tone, IMO he does not give a shit about movie theatres. He does not think they are a necessary business to open right now. He believes that more New Yorkers care about going back to the gym instead.

He reiterated several times that he thinks that business is too risky to open right now. The theatre owners in NY are angry with him because his office will not even talk to them about their health and safety protocols that they implemented.

I understand both perspectives. The theatre owners want to show they can open safely. On Cuomo's end, movie theatres and entertainment are not a priority for him right now. But I don’t get why bowling alleys get priority.
$$$ ?

A similar thing is happening in CA with the salons basically defying orders. I'm not sure how they determine what's safe to open and what's not (besides the obvious things like big concerts, but then you'd think schools would be obvious too and that's not, so i dunno)
Old 08-18-20, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Please don’t go to a movie theater: “It’s just about the last thing I’d do right now,” says expert
https://film.avclub.com/please-don-t...-th-1844756993
Old 08-24-20, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk God

I know most of you guys don't like to watch long YouTube videos. But, this guy went to watch The Empire Strikes Back at an AMC in Florida last week. This video is about 11 mins long.

It looks fine to me. Looks like any other lazy weekday afternoon catching a matinee. Theatre looks clean and everything is spaced out. No self service butter though. That's shut down for now.

I found this video informative.
Old 08-25-20, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk God

All Arizona movie theatres will open this weekend. Harkins advertised it today on social media.

Old 08-28-20, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk God

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/m...ng-1234752399/

Indoor movie theaters are allowed to reopen in San Francisco and San Diego under the new guidelines.

Looks like Orange County is close to reaching that point according to what I read on the OC Register.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.