Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Evil Dead Rise (2023, D: Cronin, P: Raimi, Campbell)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Evil Dead Rise (2023, D: Cronin, P: Raimi, Campbell)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-23, 06:22 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: Evil Dead Rise (2023, D: Cronin, P: Raimi, Campbell)

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I assume a "shitload of fuck" is good and a "fuckload of shit" would be bad. Am I correct?
No, both of those would be fucking bad.
Old 06-16-23, 11:32 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
Boondock Saint (06-16-23), Kurt D (06-16-23)
Old 06-25-23, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,835 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Now that it is streaming on MAX finally saw it. Very well produced and slickly edited.

probably plays best for those who are newer to the horror genre than old fools like myself.

my favorite aspect is that the demons can't help but mock the people they are trying to kill, to their own detriment, whereas if they had been a little more chill, they may have been able to get away with more hijinks.
Old 06-26-23, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I waited and watched this on Max. It's always fun seeing more Evil Dead.

They should try making one that retains the humor and fantasy of the Ash movies and show.
Old 06-26-23, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

So I'm going to say something that's not going to get a lot of love. I re-watched the first two Evil Dead movies and they're just not that great. I don't get how you can nitpick Rise but then have no problem with characters burying other characters instead of running for their lives - there are so many shitty parts in the first two movies that get overlooked. Now, I still appreciate both of those flicks, especially for what they did for horror, but they're by no means "masterpieces".

With that said, Rise is my favorite in the series, easily. Awesome gore and the mother really creeped me out at times. I like that it took place in the high rise and didn't hold back at all - this was a very entertaining movie.

To each their own but I loved it. Maybe it's also because I truly believe that Ash's time is done in this series - his character wouldn't fit the serious tone these new films are shooting for - why do you think part 2 was made into a comedy? I'm pretty sure Bruce has one more left in him (he has hinted at it) and I'm sure that film will be great in its own right but not as a serious horror flick. I can already see it now, if they decided to bring back Bruce but keep a serious tone, it would change how is character acts drastically and fans would do nothing but bitch no matter how well the film was made.

And yes, I know, there are some comedic elements in the new films but it's not that much and the movies aren't slapstick horror. Also, while the first evil dead played it serious, it just has a lot of issues for me and I'm not talking about the budget - I have no problem with that.
Old 06-26-23, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

The first three movies are awesome. It is a style and genre that never really saw saturation (unlike zombies in the 2000's). Stuff like Bad Taste.

If I were to pick the best Evil Dead, it would be the series. It gave us 20+ hours, brought in new elements, and is funny and joyful to watch.

I also think we are past characters making dumb mistakes. There's were 5-7 eye rolling decisions made in this movie.
The following 2 users liked this post by Troy Stiffler:
bchbdaddy (07-05-23), Spiderbite (06-26-23)
Old 06-26-23, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

While I didn't enjoy this film quite as much as the 2013 remake, I'm looking forward to re-visiting it tomorrow on 4K UHD.
Old 07-04-23, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Just finished watching this. What a fun ride. I loved the callbacks and the gallows humour. I hope we don't have to wait another ten years for the next entry. And, if he's down for it, I'd like Campbell to return in a feature with this tone. Yes, EDII, AoD, and AvED are in the splatstick realm, but the original was a serious movie. Also,
Spoiler:
when Evil Ash was taunting/tormenting a dying Amanda Fisher
at the end of season 1 of Ash vs Evil Dead, Bruce Campbell's performance felt like the more mean spirited edge this movie went for. So he's definitely got it in him.