Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Evil Dead Rise (2023, D: Cronin, P: Raimi, Campbell)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Evil Dead Rise (2023, D: Cronin, P: Raimi, Campbell)

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-23, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Re: Evil Dead Rise (2023, D: Cronin, P: Raimi, Campbell)

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007
This movie was decent, but not spectacular. I don't get all of the over-the-top positive reviews about it. It was fine and I enjoyed it, but it didn't enrich my life in any way. The woman who played the mom was fantastic in her role. The kids were good, as was the lead character.
Enrich your life? It was a horror movie based on a 40 plus year old horror series with violence and mayhem.
The following 4 users liked this post by DJariya:
Brian T (05-09-23), csant (04-22-23), kd5 (04-22-23), Spiderbite (04-22-23)
Old 04-22-23, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

It was sufficiently gory and twisted, but lacked some of the touches of humor that make Evil Dead. Yes, it was a well done horror movie, but it could have easily been a movie about a demonic possession with nothing to do with Evil Dead. I actually fell asleep and snored for a bit during the second half. It falls in the same batch as the 4th movie does rather than the first three films, which I still watch to this day.
Old 04-22-23, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Loved it. The 2013 reboot is still my favorite, but this one was great too.
Old 04-22-23, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Enrich your life? It was a horror movie based on a 40 plus year old horror series with violence and mayhem.
Butthurt fanboy alert.
Old 04-22-23, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Butthurt fanboy alert.
I'm not offended at all that you don't love it. It's your opinion. Just using the sentence that it didn't "enrich your life" sounds a little hyperbole to describe a horror movie.
The following users liked this post:
majorjoe23 (05-12-23)
Old 04-22-23, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Yeah, I don't see how anyone could walk into what seems to be a splatter flick and expect it to enrich their lives. I know I certainly won't, once I go see it.
Dr. DVD (04-29-23)
Old 04-22-23, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Absolutely loved this. 5 movie series that has yet to let me down once.

4.25/5
Old 04-22-23, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Gotta love Bruce Campbell.

Old 04-23-23, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm not offended at all that you don't love it. It's your opinion. Just using the sentence that it didn't "enrich your life" sounds a little hyperbole to describe a horror movie.
It wasn't meant to be taken literally. Just a statement on how I felt about it. I don't literally expect it to enrich my life. I've seen reviews of people saying it's the best horror move they've seen in years, who probably sit at home and masturbate to all the gore and blood in this and think it's the bee's knees. Like I said, I did enjoy it, but as soon as I left the theater, it didn't stick with me and never creeped back into my thoughts until I posted here. As an addition to the Evil Dead franchise, I'm glad it's keeping it going. For years, I didn't understand the hype about The Evil Dead and especially Bruce Campbell, but with the release of Ash Vs. The Evil Dead, it finally sunk in what people love about the series and the star. I'm glad people like it. It keeps the franchise going, but I felt it was good, but not great.
Old 04-23-23, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

It wasn't meant to be taken literally. Just a statement on how I felt about it. I don't literally expect it to enrich my life. I've seen reviews of people saying it's the best horror move they've seen in years, who probably sit at home and masturbate to all the gore and blood in this and think it's the bee's knees. Like I said, I did enjoy it, but as soon as I left the theater, it didn't stick with me and never creeped back into my thoughts until I posted here. As an addition to the Evil Dead franchise, I'm glad it's keeping it going. For years, I didn't understand the hype about The Evil Dead and especially Bruce Campbell, but with the release of Ash Vs. The Evil Dead, it finally sunk in what people love about the series and the star. I'm glad people like it. It keeps the franchise going, but I felt it was good, but not great.
The first time I saw it, the original Evil Dead legitimately enriched my life.
Old 04-23-23, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
The first time I saw it, the original Evil Dead legitimately enriched my life.
Are you Rob Tappert or Sam Raimi?
Old 04-23-23, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

I've seen reviews of people saying it's the best horror move they've seen in years
I watched Texas Chain Saw Massacre on 4k the other day. It was the best horror movie I've seen in the last 90 days.

Same type thing just different time frame and just as valid.
Old 04-23-23, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I saw this last night at the drive-in. Though in spirit an Evil Dead film should be at home there, that is NOT the venue to see it in. The film was shot so darkly, it was hard to tell what was going on at times. In fact before the film started they put up a warning that there wasn't anything wrong with the projection. As for the movie itself, it was fine. On Friday I watched the remake for the first time ever and liked that better.
Spoiler:
I did like how in EDR they said that the Necronomicon the kid found is one of three volumes known to exist, meaning that the Ash films/show, the remake, and this could all exist in the same universe.

BTW I saw Bruce Campbell a couple of weeks ago when he brought his Bruce-O-Rama show to town. It was a real hoot. I highly recommend catching it if you can.
majorjoe23 (05-12-23)
Old 04-24-23, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

He's gonna be here Thurs but I gotta work.
Old 04-29-23, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Caught this today and really liked it. Lots of old school gore effects and stuff that makes horror great. Characters were actually people you rooted for instead of annoying teens and twentysomething douchebags who were just meat for the grinder. Really enjoyed how it expanded on the established lore as well.
Old 04-29-23, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope this pans out.
In April 2023, Bruce Campbell stated that he, Sam and Ivan Raimi were planning a possibility for future films in the franchise "every two or three years" if Evil Dead Rise is a success, stating:[60]
"I think the stories will progress a little more now. We're going to try and do them more like every two or three years rather than every 10 years. It's also the first time Sam is working with his brother Ivan to create an overall Bible that will give future writers and directors an idea of where this thing should go next to potentially tie in some of these stories. So, I think it's going to get a little more tied in as the years go by. But because it's all about the books. It could be a book in the past, a book in the future. It's yet to be determined."[60]
Director Cronin also discussed his ideas for future sequels in the series taking place after Evil Dead Rise.[61]
Dr. DVD (04-30-23)
Old 05-08-23, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Digital drops tomorrow (5/9)
Old 05-09-23, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

I thought it was alright. Not blown over by it. I smiled at the callbacks and references. Henrietta's Pizza made me chuckle. It would be nice if they could come up with their own memorable lines for once. The stuff with the Necronomicon and the vinyl was the most interesting because it expanded the mythology. I wanted more of that. The actress playing the mother/lead Deadite was excellent. Other deadites underwhelming. Problem with having a little kid in it is you can pretty much guarantee they make it out unscathed which minimizes the tension. At a certain point it started to feel more like Aliens with Ripley protecting Newt than Evil Dead. It also just didn't have that over the top style or WTF wild moments that I love about Raimi's films or even the remake which went operatic in the finale. I thought the intro and wrap around ending felt tacked on. I liked what they did with the title credit though.

Last edited by philo; 05-09-23 at 08:12 PM.
Old 05-10-23, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

WBE put the opening sequence up on YouTube.

Old 05-10-23, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Loved the movie. The callbacks were great. The references to other movies were great. Total bloodbath lots of good kills. It has the same flaws as all of the other movies in the series where the demon powers and when the are used makes no sense. Also people do stupid things like in every horror movie. Hey that lady is crawling on the ceiling should we run or stand around looking at it. They stand around looking at it. I can see one person being in shock but all of them. Still the movie was solid. I give it 9 eaten eyeballs out of 10.
Old 05-11-23, 01:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by philo
I thought it was alright. Not blown over by it. I smiled at the callbacks and references. Henrietta's Pizza made me chuckle. It would be nice if they could come up with their own memorable lines for once. The stuff with the Necronomicon and the vinyl was the most interesting because it expanded the mythology. I wanted more of that. The actress playing the mother/lead Deadite was excellent. Other deadites underwhelming. Problem with having a little kid in it is you can pretty much guarantee they make it out unscathed which minimizes the tension. At a certain point it started to feel more like Aliens with Ripley protecting Newt than Evil Dead. It also just didn't have that over the top style or WTF wild moments that I love about Raimi's films or even the remake which went operatic in the finale. I thought the intro and wrap around ending felt tacked on. I liked what they did with the title credit though.
Yes! Felt the same. I'm actually surprised Raimi produced this. It was nothing like his "Evil Dead" movies. Where is the humor and camp? It's just a straight up horror movie. That said, it's well done. Not scary at all. Just creepy and graphic. Worth a watch if you like films like this.
Old 05-14-23, 07:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

This was nothing special. A few nods to the originals, but just an urban setting. Good gore, especially at end, but this was just another generic possession movie. Nothing original, nothing special or worth a second viewing.
Old 05-15-23, 09:21 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Had high expectations, and this was a shitload of fuck.
Old 05-15-23, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Had high expectations, and this was a shitload of fuck.
I assume a "shitload of fuck" is good and a "fuckload of shit" would be bad. Am I correct?
Kurt D (05-15-23)
Old 05-15-23, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Yes! Felt the same. I'm actually surprised Raimi produced this. It was nothing like his "Evil Dead" movies. Where is the humor and camp? It's just a straight up horror movie. That said, it's well done. Not scary at all. Just creepy and graphic. Worth a watch if you like films like this.
"Executive Produced"

Which usually means little more than he agreed to let them stamp his name on it and they gave him money. He probably had zero creative involvement.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.