Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hamilton (2020) -- live production with the original Broadway cast

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hamilton (2020) -- live production with the original Broadway cast

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-20, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts
Re: Hamilton (2020) -- live production with the original Broadway cast

I read the AO Scott review in the New York Times. Very positive, but basically just a review of the stage show with only this line in regards to the presentation of the show.
The close-ups and camera movements in this version enhance the charisma of the performers, adding a dimension of intimacy that compensates for the lost electricity of the live theatrical experience.
Here's a really cool article for those who subscribe to the Times about how they made this production :
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/25/m...pgtype=Article
Old 06-30-20, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The running time for this is 2 hours and 40 minutes. One movie pundit who I follow got the screener and said it’s very very long.

The embargo lifts tomorrow.
Originally Posted by Dan
I mean... It's a recording of a live stage musical with 26 songs. Did they expect it to be shorter?
The official runtime on Broadway . Com is 2:55 including intermission, so that’s right on. In normal times I went to a lot of shows, and I was pretty aware of shows that were close to or went over three hours (Gypsy and My Fair Lady were a couple of them, I think), but the two times I’ve seen Hamilton felt like an event so I probably didn’t pay attention.
Old 06-30-20, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

You know, I think if they original Broadway cast ever got together to do a travelling tour it would be the theater equivalent of a favorite rock band getting back together.
Old 06-30-20, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
You know, I think if they original Broadway cast ever got together to do a travelling tour it would be the theater equivalent of a favorite rock band getting back together.
I've thought that they should do this, not even the staging aspects, just the music. Tour the summer sheds, perform the music, make it a big sing along, rake in the money.
Old 06-30-20, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
There is no full leak of the professionally shot version (there are about two bootlegs from audience members), but there are snippets of the professional version, combined on YouTube (from publicly released clips), which total about 10 minutes:

https://youtu.be/zuo3_7QGR54
Seems like this would have an extremely small but avid fan base. I cant imagine this will have broad appeal, I couldnt make it through 2 minutes. of that video. Not saying its not good or people shouldnt like it but a $75 million production seems ultras risky
Old 06-30-20, 09:59 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

i live in NY and this is the biggest and one of most successful Broadway shows of all time. who cares how long it is? we see 3hr movies in one sitting at theater, sometimes longer (LoTR's).

at least this way we get to see one of the greatest plays of the 21st century, on our time with as many intermissions as we can possibly stand, with the cost of the service which many got deal on rather than paying upwards $150-200 for decent ticket. maybe more, seems like an incredible deal to me. and as someone who has seen many Broadway shows and love them to death, i never saw this one and can't fucking wait! everyone in family can't wait! if this is better than Dear Evan Hansen than i will be weeping like a baby all over again. (yes, i know 2 totally different genres)
Old 06-30-20, 10:44 PM

Yeah could not possibly be more different from Dear Evan Hanson. But also excellent. You're in for a treat, it's a remarkable show and doesn't feel long to me at all, though it does cover a lot of ground.
Old 06-30-20, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
though it does cover a lot of ground.
Where’s Groucho?
Old 06-30-20, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Seems like this would have an extremely small but avid fan base. I cant imagine this will have broad appeal, I couldnt make it through 2 minutes. of that video. Not saying its not good or people shouldnt like it but a $75 million production seems ultras risky
as of June 2019, the play had grossed more than $500 million. So the audience is there for sure.

$75m is nothing for Disney, and there's potential tie-ins for their hall of presidents.
Old 06-30-20, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by RichC2
as of June 2019, the play had grossed more than $500 million. So the audience is there for sure.

$75m is nothing for Disney, and there's potential tie-ins for their hall of presidents.
For context Extraction cost Netflix $65M and was barely a cultural blip on the radar. For $10M more Disney owns one of the most popular pieces of 21st century pop culture in perpetuity, always there to bring back subscribers. And though I don't know this, I wouldn't be surprised if the contract gives Disney right of first refusal or the inside track for the inevitable feature film version. Seems like money well spent, especially compared to the competition.
Old 07-01-20, 10:05 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I saw this on Broadway and a traveling production in Philadelphia. I never got to see the original cast, though, and I can't wait until Friday.
Old 07-01-20, 10:19 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

I saw the first public performance in Chicago (oh mid-2016... how long ago that seems now...) which was really cool, other than the woman a few rows behind me unwrapping, eating, then re-wrapping a sandwich every 5 minutes (WTF...)
Looking forward to watching the original cast on screen, though. The cast I saw was good too.
Old 07-01-20, 11:40 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

The touring cast I saw in Philadelphia was better than the Boradway cast (or, at least, I enjoyed that one Phila performance better than the one NY performance I saw). Both were still excellent though. I can't wait to watch the original cast over and over and over...
Old 07-01-20, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Saw this in Chicago when I happened to be staying in a hotel near the theater on a business trip. Looking forward to seeing the original cast and plan it to be a family viewing this weekend.
Old 07-01-20, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Saw this in Chicago when I happened to be staying in a hotel near the theater on a business trip. Looking forward to seeing the original cast and plan it to be a family viewing this weekend.

I caught it in Orlando and we had to get our tickets about three months in advance for a sellout show. Did you know you would be in the neighborhood beforehand and you scored tickets that way? I only ask because I would figure getting tickets in Chicago a bit difficult.

I loved the version I saw, but I had most of the stuff memorized from owning the original cast recording about three years prior. They sounded pretty close to the original, but I am looking forward to seeing all of the originals perform in its full glory.

Grace Randolph liked it, but wasn't floored like other people. She says she's not much for opera or musicals, so I don't know if she was exactly right to review this as a regular movie, since it really isn't.
Old 07-02-20, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

No, it was pure luck in my opinion. I went by the box office and they were "sold out." I then went to Stub Hub on my phone and there were a few "partially obstructed" seats available. Can't remember the exact cost but was $125ish. Purchased and then prayed as I showed the ticket on my phone as I hadn't used Stub Hub before . The partially obstructed was floor level about row 20 that I could clearly see the stage but the right side upper part was partially blocked. I still felt the full impact and don't think I missed much. Looking forward to seeing again on Disney+ this weekend.
Old 07-02-20, 07:01 PM

i can't fucking wait for this!! i was fortunate enough to see Lin-Manuel in In the Heights and knew then he was destined for greatness and this solidifies after ITH greatness. Hamilton could beat it out as my 3rd best Broadway play ever...
Old 07-02-20, 07:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I need some Stuckman verification on this one. STUCKMAN!!!!!!
Old 07-02-20, 07:53 PM

Alan Sepinwall loved it.
Old 07-02-20, 08:57 PM

This is absolutely must family viewing with kids even 10 years old and up. They’ll get the rap. They might not get the exact education or historical significance as of yet, but they’ll get something. This is just must see educational, entertainment, history, really important viewing, especially now, for everyone everywhere!
Old 07-03-20, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

D+ teased me with a “Stream It Now” pop-up at 11:47 pm PT, but it wasn’t actually watchable till midnight-ish. Looking forward to watching it today.
Old 07-03-20, 11:57 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
This is absolutely must family viewing with kids even 10 years old and up. They’ll get the rap. They might not get the exact education or historical significance as of yet, but they’ll get something. This is just must see educational, entertainment, history, really important viewing, especially now, for everyone everywhere!
As someone who’s never seen it, just heard about it via word-of-mouth, it’s an energetic musical, that’s for sure. My kids bailed on it, and it took me a couple of starts and stops to watch it all. I guess it translates better watching it live. I totally respect LMM for all of it, but for me, it doesn’t jibe all that well. But that’s me and not totally digging anything Broadway.
Old 07-03-20, 07:19 PM

That’s too bad. I would think, especially now this particular show would hit chords with so many diverse and varied age groups. Especially great for 40-65 year-old and I still say great for 10, maybe 11 and up. Not saying I would show it in a class ever (though remotely attach an assignment to watch on own and report thoughts for hs especially might be something, but on own, I think this is something whole family could get into. Maybe trespoochies family would have liked it. Guess we’ll never know...
Old 07-03-20, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
D+ teased me with a “Stream It Now” pop-up at 11:47 pm PT, but it wasn’t actually watchable till midnight-ish. Looking forward to watching it today.
I went to moms to set up for her and she had it in her head for some reason that “this starts at 8pmest”, I told her it is now streaming, you could watch it whenever, earlier this morning if wanted to. I put it on for her around 7:45pm. She saw just an empty stage and said, “oh, I guess this does start at 8pm”, not realizing that the play has actually begun playing when I set up at 7:45. This is the play, it’s not live it’s streaming. She’s funny. Just doesn’t get it. Like mother like son...
Old 07-03-20, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 552 Likes on 403 Posts

It all makes sense.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.