Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hamilton (2020) -- live production with the original Broadway cast

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hamilton (2020) -- live production with the original Broadway cast

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 02:46 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts
Re: Hamilton (2020) -- live production with the original Broadway cast

Originally Posted by Draven
Yep, it's still a stupid idea. "Hamilton" is the only show that it would have a prayer of working for and after a few weeks, subscriptions just to watch "Hamilton" would drop off. They don't have recordings for other shows that are anywhere as involved as "Hamilton" was either.

I have long been an advocate for allowing people to watch recorded versions of Broadway shows with the original casts at home. I think there are many people who would take advantage of that and it wouldn't hurt the box office at all because going to the theater is a unique experience.
Sure

Yeah those services have been around for a while. And none of them are worth it, because no one wants to pay every month to watch "Sweeney Todd" from 1982
Old 07-13-20, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Originally Posted by mspmms
Sure
The current selection of streamable shows is pretty weak and hasn't been updated often. There need to be far more modern musicals to choose from to make it a viable option. I am the target audience for something like Broadway HD and I wouldn't pay for more than a month. But if every year they added everything from a few seasons ago? I'm in.
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (07-15-20)
Old 07-13-20, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

No but, oh well - we tried Broadway, nice knowing you.

Just for fun, below is the original idea in the post:
I'm sure you guys are far more knowledgeable about the finances and operating costs of putting on Broadway shows than the successful producers of massive, expensive Broadway musicals. I'm sure you are sitting on a gold mine of an idea that just never occurred to the folks who laid out millions of dollars to bring their shows to a Broadway stage! You should really send your ideas to them ASAP.

https://www.backstage.com/magazine/a...s-plays-69252/
Old 07-13-20, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

The current selection of streamable shows is pretty weak and hasn't been updated often. There need to be far more modern musicals to choose from to make it a viable option. I am the target audience for something like Broadway HD and I wouldn't pay for more than a month. But if every year they added everything from a few seasons ago? I'm in.
I also am the target audience for Broadway HD, and I’ve never even subscribed for a month because the content is too thin. Would I watch Kinky Boots and The King and I once a month? Probably not.

As I understand it, the current rights structure for stage performances that are filmed and shown on PBS are too complicated to then release on physical media (years ago, when that was a thing), but it’s good to see some of them making it to Broadway HD. As we’ve previously discussed in this thread, it’s a delicate dance between having something available to watch and undercutting theatre sales. I’d love it if things were starting to loosen up and allow more stage performances to be available to the general public.
Old 07-13-20, 05:06 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
You should really send your ideas to them ASAP.
I made a similar suggestion in another post that said distributing events - just would - not - work.
Someone really needs to tell all this to the NBA and other PPV sporting events planned

Originally Posted by davidh777
I also am the target audience for Broadway HD, and I’ve never even subscribed for a month because the content is too thin. Would I watch Kinky Boots and The King and I once a month? Probably not.

As I understand it, the current rights structure for stage performances that are filmed and shown on PBS are too complicated to then release on physical media (years ago, when that was a thing), but it’s good to see some of them making it to Broadway HD. As we’ve previously discussed in this thread, it’s a delicate dance between having something available to watch and undercutting theatre sales. I’d love it if things were starting to loosen up and allow more stage performances to be available to the general public.
I would love to see and pay to stream a performance of Wicked.
Old 07-13-20, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Yep, it's still a stupid idea. "Hamilton" is the only show that it would have a prayer of working for and after a few weeks, subscriptions just to watch "Hamilton" would drop off. They don't have recordings for other shows that are anywhere as involved as "Hamilton" was either.

I have long been an advocate for allowing people to watch recorded versions of Broadway shows with the original casts at home. I think there are many people who would take advantage of that and it wouldn't hurt the box office at all because going to the theater is a unique experience. But that was before COVID-19 - now you can't even safely assemble the actors, let alone the orchestra, backstage crew and everyone else who needs to be in the theater. Broadway is on pause.
Eventually, your superiors might listen to you more than ever before...and you won't have a job.

Broadway on pause is killing the entertainment sector. Those people need work, not to mention, routine practice with others.

You approve of watching musicals at home...I'm so glad to see you approve of that.
Old 07-13-20, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Eventually, your superiors might listen to you more than ever before...and you won't have a job.
Me personally? My job is fine.

Broadway on pause is killing the entertainment sector. Those people need work, not to mention, routine practice with others.
Agreed. But the virus and our response to it have made that untenable for now.

You approve of watching musicals at home...I'm so glad to see you approve of that.
Of course I do - I want theater to be as accessible as possible. Broadway ticket prices are expensive.
Old 07-16-20, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

I watched this today and it really is quite extraordinary! I turned on the closed captions to follow along with the songs because I was having a hard time following the songs without them. It definitely enhanced the viewing.

The supporting cast was amazing! Daveed Diggs as Lafayette/Jefferson and Christopher Jackson as Washington were the standouts to me but the whole supporting cast was excellent. They were so good, in fact, that I actually felt the LMM was the weak link in the cast. He just didn’t seem to have the same vocals and presence as the others. His lyrics are amazing though.
Old 07-16-20, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

While I still have no interest in ever seeing it, I do have to admit I was wrong about the size of the audience base that wants to see this type of entertainment.
Old 07-16-20, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

As a huge fan of the soundtrack who never saw the musical live, this was an utter joy. My wife wasn't familiar with it at all and also loved it. We both broke down during "It's Quiet Uptown".
Old 07-17-20, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank
As a huge fan of the soundtrack who never saw the musical live, this was an utter joy. My wife wasn't familiar with it at all and also loved it. We both broke down during "It's Quiet Uptown".
That song is ROUGH. I never make it through it without misting up.
Old 07-17-20, 11:32 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

The best song is Dear Theodosia, where both men sing to their newborn children. I’ve dug around and no critic has pointed out the obvious; that the lyrics all have a double meaning and also describe how they feel about the new country they’ve created and it’s new citizens. It just wrecks me. Most beautiful thing I’ve ever heard.

If we lay a strong enough foundation
We'll pass it on to you, we'll give the world to you
And you'll blow us all away
Someday, someday
Bandoman (07-24-20)
Old 07-17-20, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
The best song is Dear Theodosia, where both men sing to their newborn children. I’ve dug around and no critic has pointed out the obvious; that the lyrics all have a double meaning and also describe how they feel about the new country they’ve created and it’s new citizens. It just wrecks me. Most beautiful thing I’ve ever heard.

Someday, someday
That’s a great one. The Regina Spektor Ben Folds cover from the mixtape is great too.
Old 07-22-20, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse

Someday, someday
It's a great one and I had the pleasure of hearing Leslie Odom Jr. perform it live at the Woodruff Arts Center. I was hoping that LMM would make a surprise appearance when his part came up, but that didn't happen, but I can't complain.

And I'm sure most of you have seen this, but with the Disney connection I'll post it:

Mabuse (07-22-20)