Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Hamilton (2020) -- live production with the original Broadway cast

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Hamilton (2020) -- live production with the original Broadway cast

Old 02-04-20, 08:02 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 312 Likes on 190 Posts
re: Hamilton (2020) -- live production with the original Broadway cast

I can't wait for this! I saw it on Broadway (not original cast) and in Philadelphia. It's my favorite musical.
Old 02-04-20, 10:40 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Yeah, they can definitely tweak the recording a bit, if they even have to, to ensure a PG-13 rating if there's any fuss from the MPAA, which seems unlikely.
If they mess with the text at all, fans would rise up.
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (02-12-20)
Old 02-04-20, 10:47 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Yes. Beware the uprising of musical theater fans.
Old 02-04-20, 11:08 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 737 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
If they mess with the text at all, fans would rise up.
What about the colonies, Groucho? When are they gonna rise up?

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
oof.
Old 02-04-20, 11:15 AM

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
It wouldn't be the first time a rag-tag volunteer army in need of a shower somehow defeated a global superpower.
The following users liked this post:
Bandoman (02-12-20)
Old 02-05-20, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I assume it’s money. The North American tour site lists dates through December 2020 with more than a dozen other cities listed ambiguously as “2020-2021 season.”
There’s something like 3-4 different companies in the US alone plus London. They are making hay while they can.
Old 02-06-20, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by silentbob007 View Post
There’s something like 3-4 different companies in the US alone plus London. They are making hay while they can.
This show is going to have multiple companies running around the world for years, the appeal goes beyond your typical Broadway crowd. From the beginning they've had a plan to space the Hamilton content out, the recording of the original cast comes first, then the real movie is going to come a few years later.
Old 02-06-20, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,861 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
This show is going to have multiple companies running around the world for years, the appeal goes beyond your typical Broadway crowd. From the beginning they've had a plan to space the Hamilton content out, the recording of the original cast comes first, then the real movie is going to come a few years later.
I hope so. I will go see a filmed stage show, but that is no “movie” in the classic sense. Seeing a stage show live is an amazing experience, seeing a filmed version is never very good or satisfying. I am really curious to see how this does at the box office. It won’t bomb like Cats, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it is not a hit in theaters.
Old 02-11-20, 08:17 PM

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Old 02-11-20, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 459 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
So after marketing, Disney will be dropping at least over $100 million on a theatrical release of a recording of the Broadway show. I'm sorry, I know this is a very, very popular musical and everything Disney touches is gold, but I don't see this doing over $100 million theatrically. And I can't imagine it will do well at ALL overseas.
Do you mean because of the uniquely American subject matter? It’s a fair point, but I think a lot of current fans never cared about that historical period either. The show has been running in London for at least a couple years—granted they gave a strong tradition of stage musicals and probably a better appreciation of history than many, but they’re also the villains in this one. I just think there’s a lot of demand for this show, and a movie would be really accessible.

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I hope so. I will go see a filmed stage show, but that is no “movie” in the classic sense. Seeing a stage show live is an amazing experience, seeing a filmed version is never very good or satisfying. I am really curious to see how this does at the box office. It won’t bomb like Cats, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it is not a hit in theaters.
I know I’m biased, but I like filmed stage musicals. Yes, it’s kind of a wishywashy ground between a live experience and a real movie, but I enjoyed the heck out of Newsies, and have enjoyed other Fathom events such as Allegiance and Bandstand.
Old 05-12-20, 07:30 AM

Received 2,580 Likes on 1,767 Posts

Will now be released on Disney+ on July 3.
https://deadline.com/2020/05/hamilto...da-1202932220/

$75mil and just putting it to streaming... ouch. I'm eating crow on my original comment, but that was pre-mass pandemic.
Old 05-12-20, 08:05 AM

Re: Hamilton (2020) -- live production with the original Broadway cast

They moved the release up 15 months and are bringing it to streaming instead of theatrically releasing it after spending that much to acquire it? That is a super weird decision
Old 05-12-20, 08:14 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

One might say they're...
not throwing away their shot...
at getting people to actually see it.

But yeah... The fact that they've bumped it forward so drastically suggests that they have little confidence that things will be in a place 15 months from now where this could earn any kind of profit.
Old 05-12-20, 08:16 AM
Premium Member

Received 626 Likes on 479 Posts

They moved the release up 15 months and are bringing it to streaming instead of theatrically releasing it after spending that much to acquire it? That is a super weird decision
I'm fairly certain the pandemic played into the decision.
Old 05-12-20, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
I'm fairly certain the pandemic played into the decision.
In the sense that they wanted to provide some major new content for Disney Plus this Summer, in the sense that the delays this year will crowd the Disney release schedule in 2021 to the point this wasn't going to be a viable theatrical release next Fall or because they think people still might not be going to the movies in another 18 months?

Or maybe in the sense that the pandemic caused the cancelation of all touring productions that they were contractually obligated to wait for. Still that is a huge expenditure for a non-theatrical acquisition.
Old 05-12-20, 08:34 AM
Premium Member

Received 626 Likes on 479 Posts

I'm honestly not sure, but at this time NO ONE has any idea when this will end and we can all start going to the movies again. You think in the next 18 months? Okay. I have no idea at this point since things look to be overall getting worse and there's no vaccine or cure in sight.
Old 05-12-20, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 599 Likes on 483 Posts

$75m isn't exactly the most expensive movie that's gone straight to streaming recently. Even Extraction on Netflix has a solid $65m behind it and 6 Underground cracked $150m.

Plus Disney gets the merchandising behind it.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-12-20 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-12-20, 08:36 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe they'll move it to Hulu at the last minute.
Old 05-12-20, 08:43 AM

Had another thought : LMM probably didn't want to have this come out in theaters just a few months after In The Heights does. They have now switched release years.
Thanks to the new 2020 rule changes this movie would be eligible for Oscar consideration. Now it might still not get any because it is just a filmed stage performance, but if they include a new recording of an additional new (or previously discarded song) over the end credits, maybe LMM could close out his EGOT next Spring.
Old 05-12-20, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 681 Likes on 436 Posts

In the sense that they wanted to provide some major new content for Disney Plus this Summer, in the sense that the delays this year will crowd the Disney release schedule in 2021 to the point this wasn't going to be a viable theatrical release next Fall or because they think people still might not be going to the movies in another 18 months?

Or maybe in the sense that the pandemic caused the cancelation of all touring productions that they were contractually obligated to wait for. Still that is a huge expenditure for a non-theatrical acquisition.
As a musical theater nerd, I was thinking just this past weekend that they should put this out right now. I am a genius.

1) There is no theater happening anywhere in the country - this is a no-brainer. There have been streams of other shows offered but nothing even close to the level of Hamilton. This will be HUGE.
2) All of the Disney+ productions that were coming have shut down - they need new content and it's ready right now.
3) It is the perfect thing to offer viewers during this time - you can't attend theater right now, ticket prices kept a vast majority of people who wanted to see this cast from getting to do so, In the Heights was delayed so Lin-Manuel Miranda can promote the hell out of it. Literally no downside to it.
4) Releasing it next year was already way too long from when it was announced - get it out there for people to see now.
Old 05-12-20, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Had another thought : LMM probably didn't want to have this come out in theaters just a few months after In The Heights does. They have now switched release years.
Thanks to the new 2020 rule changes this movie would be eligible for Oscar consideration. Now it might still not get any because it is just a filmed stage performance, but if they include a new recording of an additional new (or previously discarded song) over the end credits, maybe LMM could close out his EGOT next Spring.
I think the Academy changed their rules so that you just can't put a song over the end credits and hope to get a nomination, it has to be in the movie.
Old 05-12-20, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by sauce07 View Post
I think the Academy changed their rules so that you just can't put a song over the end credits and hope to get a nomination, it has to be in the movie.
They're always changing the rules with music. I'll look into it.
Old 05-12-20, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 681 Likes on 436 Posts

...and they just postponed Broadway and Off-Broadway shows to September. Even more reason to put this out now (I assume they knew this announcement was coming).
Old 05-12-20, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 661 Likes on 466 Posts

I had no real intention of going to see this, but hey I'll watch it on Disney+.
Old 05-12-20, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 459 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
I’m always glad to see stage casts preserved on film. My first thought was it was going to be Disney+, but I guess there’s plenty of money to be made in theaters and then still throw on D+ if they think it’s appropriate content. I doubt it’d be rated more severely than an MCU movie.
I guess I turned out to be right after all.

Disney has been the most aggressive about pushing content during pandemic times with stuff like Onward and Rise of Skywalker so this fits in with that. I think Decker’s point about In the Heights makes sense as well.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.