Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-24, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts
Re: The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

So are those "final cut" edits going to be available the same way despecialized versions have been? I check my closest theater and it looks like The Phantom Menace will be in theaters for another week. These rereleases of Older movies that Disney/20th Century have done have usually only been for one week runs.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 05-09-24 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-09-24, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 661 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Looks cool, but I'm surprised they're keeping the alteration of Hayden Christensen in ROTJ.
My opinion of the Hayden Christensen force ghost has changed a bit since watching Ahsoka.

Also, that shot is shown right after the narrator says "a few surprises." Maybe that shot is now a blend of the two versions? Like, the fade-in of the force ghosts will be Sebastian Shaw, and then the shot morphs/de-ages Anakin into Hayden Christensen. It would convey that a force ghost's appearance isn't merely what they looked like when they died, or when they were last a Jedi or whatever, but more about how the force ghost perceives itself and/or wants to be perceived by others.

I do chafe a bit at the suggestion this fan edit will be the "final" cut of the movies, it feels a bit pretentions. For me, the two films that I know of that have an edit deemed "final," the final cut of Blade Runner, and the "Final Director's Cut" of Brazil, the term was used more for the director announcing "this is the last time I'm editing this film," and not necessarily that it was the best version of the film. It was an expression of finality, not of quality. With fan edits, there's absolutely zero guarantee that it will be the "final" or "definitive" fan edit.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jay G.:
IBJoel (05-09-24), ntnon (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,178 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Also, that shot is shown right after the narrator says "a few surprises." Maybe that shot is now a blend of the two versions? Like, the fade-in of the force ghosts will be Sebastian Shaw, and then the shot morphs/de-ages Anakin into Hayden Christensen. It would convey that a force ghost's appearance isn't merely what they looked like when they died, or when they were last a Jedi or whatever, but more about how the force ghost perceives itself and/or wants to be perceived by others.
That wouldn't bother me as long as they did the same to Ben and Yoda.

I do chafe a bit at the suggestion this fan edit will be the "final" cut of the movies, it feels a bit pretentions. For me, the two films that I know of that have an edit deemed "final," the final cut of Blade Runner, and the "Final Director's Cut" of Brazil, the term was used more for the director announcing "this is the last time I'm editing this film," and not necessarily that it was the best version of the film. It was an expression of finality, not of quality. With fan edits, there's absolutely zero guarantee that it will be the "final" or "definitive" fan edit.
100% agree. This is just a way for them to get eyeballs.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,322 Likes on 2,126 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Another edit is coming...

I actually like this idea. Keeping some changes like VFX upgrades and cleaning up shots but eliminating some of the terrible changes like Vader’s “Nooo!”, Obi Wan’s Krayt Dragon scream, and Jabba in A New Hope.

I wasn’t sure if that trailer was even real. I started watching it thinking it was some kind of Honest Trailers type snark.

Assuming it’s actually a quality version of the films, I would actually consider buying these versions. I still have never brought myself to pick up the Blu-rays of the OT.
Old 05-09-24, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 355 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I actually like this idea. Keeping some changes like VFX upgrades and cleaning up shots but eliminating some of the terrible changes like Vader’s “Nooo!”, Obi Wan’s Krayt Dragon scream, and Jabba in A New Hope.

I wasn’t sure if that trailer was even real. I started watching it thinking it was some kind of Honest Trailers type snark.

Assuming it’s actually a quality version of the films, I would actually consider buying these versions. I still have never brought myself to pick up the Blu-rays of the OT.
It's a fan edit, so they are legally prohibited from selling it. You may be able to obtain it using various available means though.
GoldenJCJ (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,322 Likes on 2,126 Posts

Originally Posted by kefrank
It's a fan edit, so they are legally prohibited from selling it. You may be able to obtain it using various available means though.
Well boo! I’ll keep my eyes open for other means of procuring them though.
Old 05-09-24, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Agreed. Calling it, "the final cut" is very presumptuous when it's really just, "yet another fan edit."
The following 2 users liked this post by kefrank:
IBJoel (05-09-24), Josh-da-man (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well boo! I’ll keep my eyes open for other means of procuring them though.
If your eyes are open in the right places, I also suggest picking up Harmy's Despecialized editions as well as 4K77 and 4K83. I guess 4K80 has been released too, but I haven't gone to look for it yet.
The following 2 users liked this post by kefrank:
IBJoel (05-09-24), Spiderbite (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If your eyes are open in the right places, I also suggest picking up Harmy's Despecialized editions as well as 4K77 and 4K83. I guess 4K80 has been released too, but I haven't gone to look for it yet.
I own an awesome 6 Blu-ray set of Harmy's Despecialized versions of the Original Trilogy and they are packed to the gills with all kinds of extras that you would not get from an official release.

It is the only way I would buy or watch any of these films with the exception of the new 4K77, 4K80 & 4K83 releases which I plan to locate solid copies of eventually. This "Final Cut" fan edit may be interesting to watch once, but it wouldn't be my go-to. I want to watch the versions I saw in the theater as a kid and grew up with until they were stolen by Lucas. I have never owned any of the revised versions except when they included that awful quality edition of the Original Trilogy as bonuses. I never cared that Lucas kept fucking with them. He can do what he wants. I just want the originals. Same with E.T. or any other film. Mess with them all you want as long as I can view the original version. Same with music too. When Paul McCartney did his version of the album "Let It Be" he didn't remove access to the original release.

I am just thankful that people care enough to actually put all this work into the Original Trilogy. It is pretty amazing if you really think about it.
ntnon (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I own an awesome 6 Blu-ray set of Harmy's Despecialized versions of the Original Trilogy and they are packed to the gills with all kinds of extras that you would not get from an official release.

It is the only way I would buy or watch any of these films with the exception of the new 4K77, 4K80 & 4K83 releases which I plan to locate solid copies of eventually. This "Final Cut" fan edit may be interesting to watch once, but it wouldn't be my go-to. I want to watch the versions I saw in the theater as a kid and grew up with until they were stolen by Lucas. I have never owned any of the revised versions except when they included that awful quality edition of the Original Trilogy as bonuses. I never cared that Lucas kept fucking with them. He can do what he wants. I just want the originals. Same with E.T. or any other film. Mess with them all you want as long as I can view the original version. Same with music too. When Paul McCartney did his version of the album "Let It Be" he didn't remove access to the original release.

I am just thankful that people care enough to actually put all this work into the Original Trilogy. It is pretty amazing if you really think about it.
The preservation work that fans have done really is incredible. 4K77 and 4K83 are pretty much the only way I watch Star Wars and ROTJ now. They are stunningly good presentations of the movies as they originally were in the theater.
IBJoel (05-09-24)
Old 05-09-24, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 661 Likes on 458 Posts

That wouldn't bother me as long as they did the same to Ben and Yoda.
If they de-aged Yoda, how would you tell?

De-aging Obi-Wan's force ghost from Alec Guinness to Ewan McGregor would be consistent in going from OT portrayal to PT portrayal of the characters, but I could see the argument that Obi-Wan's self-image was of his older self. Like, he already appeared to Luke several times, as his older self.
Old 05-09-24, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Received 1,094 Likes on 636 Posts

If they de-aged Yoda, how would you tell?

De-aging Obi-Wan's force ghost from Alec Guinness to Ewan McGregor would be consistent in going from OT portrayal to PT portrayal of the characters, but I could see the argument that Obi-Wan's self-image was of his older self. Like, he already appeared to Luke several times, as his older self.
Just use the Yaddle puppet and trim the hair
Old 05-09-24, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 97 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I was so excited when the film was announced and I bought a lot of that crap. I just recently sold off the last of it at a garage sale. I had a couple of boxes full of the unopened figures and other assorted garbage. I didn't fall for it when Attack Of The Clones came out.
My entire attic was filled with prequel junk until about a decade ago. Most of it went to Goodwill. I stupidly hopped back on the Star Wars hype train before TFA was released. Thankfully, my splurging was limited to a line of die cast figures from the Disney Store. After TLJ sobered me up to the fact that Disney was mishandling the series, I boxed them all up (a couple dozen) and they'd been in the bottom of my closet for the last five years.

I checked eBay and the rarest ones were selling for $30, while most were going for $10. I had around $400 invested in these, but it was clear I'd be taking a loss trying to unload them. After fees and shipping, it didn't seem worth the trouble to sell online unless I threw them on Facebook marketplace for local pickup. Yesterday, I tried offering them to a trading card/collectibles shop and they weren't interested. Then I went by Half Price Books. I showed them the Darth Vader figure (one of three OT figures in the collection) and they offered me $5. When I asked if they'd be interested in the remaining Disney era figures, they said they'd take a look. I brought them in and they offered an addition $50 (or $2.17 each) for the rest of the box. I knew it was a low offer, but they said nothing from the new movies was selling because most people didn't like them. Couldn't really argue with that.

Last edited by joe_b; 05-09-24 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-09-24, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,847 Likes on 1,953 Posts

Would not surprise me at all if they did something like that.

I also suspect that the "a few surprises" might include that fan-cut Obi-Wan/Vader fight from ANH with all of the Prequel-like acrobatics. Looks like they're already sticking some fan-made stuff into it -- I don't ever recall seeing the rebel soldiers running through the Falcon or that other fellow manning the Falcon's gun turret in any deleted scenes. Not quite sure where those scenes would even fit in; almost have to be the battle of Endor?

Old 05-09-24, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 276 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I don't ever recall seeing the rebel soldiers running through the Falcon or that other fellow manning the Falcon's gun turret in any deleted scenes. Not quite sure where those scenes would even fit in; almost have to be the battle of Endor?
It looked like it was from this ROTJ deleted scene:

Old 05-09-24, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,272 Likes on 874 Posts

I look forward to a new A Star Wars Story movie that fixes the trash compactor plot hole.
Originally Posted by The Cow
Eh, it's just another dumb design decision by the Empire. Done by the same contractors that did the exhaust port.
Anxiously awaiting Rogue Two now!

See it again . . . for the first time . . . for the final time . . . until the next time . . .

Last edited by Abob Teff; 05-09-24 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-09-24, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 596 Likes on 367 Posts

The preservation work that fans have done really is incredible. 4K77 and 4K83 are pretty much the only way I watch Star Wars and ROTJ now. They are stunningly good presentations of the movies as they originally were in the theater.
I wish we could get the same kind of love that the OT got with the fan restorations for THX-1138. Lucas ruined that film even more than the OT, IMO.
The following 2 users liked this post by stvn1974:
IBJoel (05-14-24), ntnon (05-23-24)
Old 05-10-24, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,031 Likes on 721 Posts

Agreed. Calling it, "the final cut" is very presumptuous when it's really just, "yet another fan edit."
That's just it. I know most people probably don't keep track of this kind of stuff, but there are probably hundreds of these fan edits that blend the SEs with the originals floating around out there. The only thing that seems different with this one is that someone made a fancy trailer for it.

As far as tricked out special editions go, Adywans's Revisited series is probably the most noteworthy and elaborate. Only problem there is it's been in the works for what seems like decades at this point and only the first two movies are released.
ntnon (05-23-24)
Old 05-10-24, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Anxiously awaiting Rogue Two now!

See it again . . . for the first time . . . for the final time . . . until the next time . . .
and keep telling yourself...it's only a movie...only a movie...only a movie...
Old 05-10-24, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by windom
It looked like it was from this ROTJ deleted scene:
I don't ever remember seeing those scenes. If I did, I completely forgot about them.

This guy just seemed out of place, and seems like he stepped out of relatively recent fan film and not 1982...

ntnon (05-23-24)
Old 05-10-24, 01:04 PM

Received 2,022 Likes on 1,189 Posts

It's from deleted footage, and for good reason.

Who cares about ANYBODY on the Millennium Falcon in Return of the Jedi EXCEPT for Lando Calrissian?! Maybe Nien Numb, but only because Lando seems to talk with him.
The following 2 users liked this post by story:
IBJoel (05-10-24), Jay G. (05-10-24)
Old 05-10-24, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,079 Posts

Which is back to my point about not everything needing to go back in.

I think that about most deleted scenes from any movie - 99% of the time, you can tell why they were cut.
Old 05-10-24, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by story
It's from deleted footage, and for good reason.

Who cares about ANYBODY on the Millennium Falcon in Return of the Jedi EXCEPT for Lando Calrissian?! Maybe Nien Numb, but only because Lando seems to talk with him.
He was also one of those action figures available as a mail-in offer before the release of ROTJ.

Originally Posted by Draven
Which is back to my point about not everything needing to go back in.

I think that about most deleted scenes from any movie - 99% of the time, you can tell why they were cut.
Mostly true. The This is Spinal Tap deleted scenes are pretty great, though. They probably shot enough usable material to make a six-part miniseries.

But there are still a lot of films that had enough leftover material to make good directors' cuts and special/extended editions like Star Wars, Wrath of Khan, CE3K, Blade Runner, Apocalypse Now, LOTR, etc.
ntnon (05-23-24)
Old 05-10-24, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,432 Likes on 1,046 Posts

Those ROTJ deleted scenes are on one of the physical releases, I think it was the 9 disc Blu-ray of the first six films. There's also more footage of the Rebels fighting their way into the bunker on Endor.
Old 05-10-24, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
There's also more footage of the Rebels fighting their way into the bunker on Endor.
Is there more of this guy? (aka "Rex"?)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.