Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Old 05-27-24, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,171 Posts
Re: The General Star Wars Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by Jay G.
I wonder, is talking about the 1993 laserdisc release when it came out, or is he talking about the 2005 DVDs they slapped the laserdisc masters onto? Because I think the laserdiscs were praised when first released, but by 2005, they were woefully behind what other studios were doing with films on DVD. So yes, "everybody got really mad" with the 2005 DVD release of the laserdisc masters, but that was because it was woefully out of date.
I remember people in 2005 were speculating that’s exactly what Lucas was doing with those shitty non-anamorphic releases: Lucas claimed the original trilogy didn’t look good and then released the shittiest versions possible so he could say, “See, I told you the originals looked like crap! Now you know why I HAVE to only release the special editions from now on.”

Nevermind that amateurs have proved him wrong with all the unofficial releases over the last 10 or 15 years.

Lucas’ statements are disingenuous at best and complete gaslighting at worst.
Old 05-27-24, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 664 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I remember people in 2005 were speculating that’s exactly what Lucas was doing with those shitty non-anamorphic releases: Lucas claimed the original trilogy didn’t look good and then released the shittiest versions possible so he could say, “See, I told you the originals looked like crap! Now you know why I HAVE to only release the special editions from now on.”
What I heard is that there were some staff inside Lucasfilm pushing to include the original versions as a bonus, something to make these Limited Edition DVDs notable. Lucas relented, with one condition: they couldn't spend basically any money on the original versions. So they were forced to use the best existing transfers they already had, which were the laserdisc masters.

On one hand, it's basically a minor miracle Lucas allowed the original versions to be included at all. On the other hand, it seems like he's using the negative reaction to that release as further justification for not releasing them in any better format.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jay G.:
GoldenJCJ (05-27-24), ntnon (05-29-24)
Old 05-31-24, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,292 Likes on 791 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I’m less than half way through Jenny’s video, but it’s fascinating.

She’s one of the most genuine YouTubers on this stuff and this video is fantastic.
I have never heard of her but only 30 minutes into the interview and I am sold. She is a great writer/reviewer and sincerely hilarious.

I am definitely going to finish the whole 4 hours and check out some of her other stuff.
The following users liked this post:
Dan (05-31-24)
Old 05-31-24, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 232 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Well, it is nice to know that Lucas is still the selfish asshole he has always been since he still will not release remastered versions of the original trilogy.
As brilliant as the OT was, he has always done a poor job of managing the IP since, and with no succession plan either. Besides ditching the originals, we had substandard releases of the Special Editions on every format. It is so odd given how interested he was in every unimportant visual detail of the prequels, but didn't bother to give the same attention to any other aspects.
Old 05-31-24, 08:41 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,253 Likes on 890 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I have never heard of her but only 30 minutes into the interview and I am sold. She is a great writer/reviewer and sincerely hilarious.

I am definitely going to finish the whole 4 hours and check out some of her other stuff.
nice!
Oh, I watched this video twice. second time was just to get my wife to watch the first 20 minutes or so to understand what the hotel was about, and we ended up watching the whole thing in two sittings. Never distracted by our phones.
What’s great about this video is that she’s completely fair in her observations and critiques. She’s not the type to act like the entire thing was terrible and points out plenty of positive aspects like the food and the actors and other genuinely neat things. But her complaints are all absolutely valid, particularly when she gets to the part about the dinner show and the excursion to the actual theme park to do menial tasks in the shitty app.

I hope you enjoy the rest of it
Spiderbite (05-31-24)
Old 06-01-24, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,445 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
As brilliant as the OT was, he has always done a poor job of managing the IP since, and with no succession plan either. Besides ditching the originals, we had substandard releases of the Special Editions on every format. It is so odd given how interested he was in every unimportant visual detail of the prequels, but didn't bother to give the same attention to any other aspects.
We never even got a physical release of the original versions of the SE as seen in theaters and VHS/LD.

I still believe that one of the things that started the backlash against Lucas in the late 90s was his avoidance of the DVD format. Aside from suppressing the original versions, only releasing the SEs and then Episode One only on last generation formats created a lot of bad blood in the fandom. A boxset of the SEs on double sided discs (widescreen and pan and scan) with even a few extras would have done a lot to keep in good with the community.
Old 06-01-24, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
We never even got a physical release of the original versions of the SE as seen in theaters and VHS/LD.

I still believe that one of the things that started the backlash against Lucas in the late 90s was his avoidance of the DVD format. Aside from suppressing the original versions, only releasing the SEs and then Episode One only on last generation formats created a lot of bad blood in the fandom. A boxset of the SEs on double sided discs (widescreen and pan and scan) with even a few extras would have done a lot to keep in good with the community.
I had actually forgotten about that.

He has had his head so far up his own ass for so many decades no wonder he doesn't give a shit about his own films' preservation.
BobO'Link (06-02-24)
Old 06-04-24, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
Even if you never had an interest in going you should check out the video. Jenny Nicholson is one of the best on youtube.
For content that is justifiably critical of the corporate side of Disney, I was amused to spot the name Leslye Headland (creator of the latest Disney+ Star Wars show) on the list of Nicholson's Patreon supporters at the end of the Starcruiser video.
Old 06-05-24, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
nice!
Oh, I watched this video twice. second time was just to get my wife to watch the first 20 minutes or so to understand what the hotel was about, and we ended up watching the whole thing in two sittings. Never distracted by our phones.
What’s great about this video is that she’s completely fair in her observations and critiques. She’s not the type to act like the entire thing was terrible and points out plenty of positive aspects like the food and the actors and other genuinely neat things. But her complaints are all absolutely valid, particularly when she gets to the part about the dinner show and the excursion to the actual theme park to do menial tasks in the shitty app.

I hope you enjoy the rest of it
I finally finished it the other day. It was a fantastic piece of criticism and I wish our news media would apply her basic tenets to more important news.

Anyway, if people do not want to watch the entire 4 hours, I recommend at least watching her last 10 minutes which is a chapter called "Robbed." You can easily skip to it since she has chapter stops. It points out not just what is wrong with the Star Wars Hotel but Disney as a whole. A lot of critics want to say that Disney is fucking up because they have gone "woke" but this chapter spells out exactly why Disney is currently fucking up their business. And it could be applied to their movies as well as so many other businesses right now. Fainthearted, do not worry, she doesn't even touch on politics or use the "W" word.

She is great and deserves whatever kudos she gets for this piece. It has amazingly hit over 7.1 million views currently and it is a 4-hour video! Holy shit!

It has even hit Forbes, so this video is making some serious waves, stunningly.

The ‘Spectacular’ Failure Of Disney’s ‘Star Wars’ Hotel Is Going Viral (forbes.com)