Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fantastic Four (2025, D: Shakman) S: Pascal, Kirby, Moss-Bachrach, Quinn

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Fantastic Four (2025, D: Shakman) S: Pascal, Kirby, Moss-Bachrach, Quinn

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-24, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 824 Likes on 696 Posts
Re: The Fantastic Four (2025, D: Shakman) S: Pascal, Kirby, Moss-Bachrach, Quinn

An absolute disappointment. Silver Surfer is probably my second or third favorite Marvel character. I guess Disney is happy running their cash cow into the ground.
Old 04-03-24, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,113 Likes on 681 Posts
Re: The Fantastic Four (2025, D: Shakman) S: Pascal, Kirby, Moss-Bachrach, Quinn

There is no reason at all to do this except maybe piss people off?

What is Hollywood's obsession with making longtime male fictional characters female or a different color?

It isn't woke. It's just dumb.
The following 3 users liked this post by Spiderbite:
candyrocket786 (04-04-24), cultshock (04-04-24), whotony (04-03-24)
Old 04-03-24, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 558 Likes on 348 Posts

Will the Thing still made of rock or will they update him and have him made of astro-turf?
Old 04-03-24, 05:59 PM

Received 4,627 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
There is no reason at all to do this except maybe piss people off?

What is Hollywood's obsession with making longtime male fictional characters female or a different color?

It isn't woke. It's just dumb.
"Garner is said to be playing a different surfer known as Shalla-Bal, who was the lover of Norrin Radd."
The following users liked this post:
Spiderbite (04-03-24)
Old 04-03-24, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts

Thank you dex14, I am not a hardcore Silver Surfer fan, but if you have read enough FF comics, and even if you only came to know Silver Surfer from his second long running series that I believe started in 1987, you would have stories where Shalla-Bal is mentioned as his one true love. The reaction to the casting of Shalla-Bal has me loling big time, as the reaction from several folks in this thread is exactly how a lot of other folks on the internet will react when they hear the news of Garner's casting.
Old 04-03-24, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Thank you dex14, I am not a hardcore Silver Surfer fan, but if you have read enough FF comics, and even if you only came to know Silver Surfer from his second long running series that I believe started in 1987, you would have stories where Shalla-Bal is mentioned as his one true love. The reaction to the casting of Shalla-Bal has me loling big time, as the reaction from several folks in this thread is exactly how a lot of other folks on the internet will react when they hear the news of Garner's casting.
I mean... I get if people are upset because they want to see Norrin Radd... but this isn't just a swapping of sex. She was a surfer in the books... maybe briefly.

Also... keep in mind this is all multi-versal now. Maybe Norrin from the Krasinski (or other) universe comes in at some point in Secret Wars.

Old 04-03-24, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,997 Likes on 1,546 Posts

I mean yes she is a character from the comics but in a completely different role. I guess I'd have a similar reaction if they started with Captain Carter over Captain America, if I were a huge fan of the Silver Surfer like I am of Cap. As is I'm a big fan but not a huge fan and I don't care that much as long as they do justice to the characters and have a non-cloud Galactus. I'm also wondering if we just don't get Norrin Radd or if this is part of the multiverse shenanigans that kept the FF out of view from our MCU.
Old 04-03-24, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts

She is a great actress for sure. But does SS need much range? Seems like sort of a waste
Old 04-03-24, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,779 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Wonder if they're going to have Shalla-Bal be the Silver Surfer I wonder how they're going to swing that. Switch Norrin Rad and Shalla-Bal's roles, where she will make the sacrifice to become Galactus' herald and save Zenn-La? Or will both Norrin Radd and Shalla-Bal become Silver Surfers like in that Universe X comic?
Old 04-03-24, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 841 Likes on 554 Posts

I had unreasonably high hopes for this movie rekindling my interest in the MCU, but this is a disappointment.
Garner is a talented actress, but she really wore thin on Ozark for me.
Old 04-03-24, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,263 Likes on 4,281 Posts

I can't imagine being her agent : "Well the bad news is they killed the Madonna biopic, so you no longer have a starring vehicle. But the good news is you're now free to play the Silver Surfer!".
Old 04-03-24, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
I can't imagine being her agent : "Well the bad news is they killed the Madonna biopic, so you no longer have a starring vehicle. But the good news is you're now free to play the Silver Surfer!".
Going to be in The Wolfman too.
Old 04-03-24, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 638 Likes on 492 Posts

MOD NOTE: BEWARE, MASSIVE SPOILER!!!! YOU’VE BEEN WARNED!

Spoiler:
Wasn't it already leaked that the plot of this movie sees Galactus win in the end, with the FF fleeing their destroyed universe and landing in the MCU? If that's still the case,she'll either die rebelling against Galactus or be a villain. And, it'd be safe to assume the real Silver Surfer is in the MCU already.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 04-03-24 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-03-24, 08:28 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

I guess I'd be more upset if we didn't already see a male silver surfer on the screen.
Dvdlovr24 (04-06-24)
Old 04-03-24, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 606 Likes on 437 Posts

Spoiler:
Originally Posted by RocShemp
Wasn't it already leaked that the plot of this movie sees Galactus win in the end, with the FF fleeing their destroyed universe and landing in the MCU? If that's still the case,she'll either die rebelling against Galactus or be a villain. And, it'd be safe to assume the real Silver Surfer is in the MCU already.

Thats a gigantic spoiler if it’s true.
Wish I didn’t read that

Last edited by Goldberg74; 04-03-24 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-03-24, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Spoiler:

Thanks a lot butthole

Last edited by Goldberg74; 04-03-24 at 10:19 PM.
Old 04-03-24, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 638 Likes on 492 Posts

MOD NOTE: BEWARE, PREVIOUSLY REVEALED MOVIE PLOT FACT!!!! YOU’VE BEEN WARNED! 😉

Sorry. I could've sworn I read that here, sans spoiler tags, in this very thread (if not the general MCU thread). Heck, I remember that when I read in this very thread that
Spoiler:
the movie will be set in the '60s

made an oddball sort of sense, given that this movie went into preproduction during all the Kang timelines shenanigans.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 04-03-24 at 10:21 PM.
Old 04-03-24, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,113 Likes on 681 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
"Garner is said to be playing a different surfer known as Shalla-Bal, who was the lover of Norrin Radd."
I grew up reading the John Byrne FF and loved the character of Frankie Ray who became Nova, a new herald for Galactus.

Her love story with Johnny Storm and him being crushed when she became Nova was a great drama as a kid. It would have been extremely cool (at least for me) if they had done that story and cast her for that character.

cultshock (04-04-24)
Old 04-04-24, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 399 Likes on 322 Posts

MOD NOTE: BEWARE, PREVIOUSLY REVEALED MOVIE PLOT FACT!!!! YOU’VE BEEN WARNED! 😉

Sorry. I could've sworn I read that here, sans spoiler tags, in this very thread (if not the general MCU thread). Heck, I remember that when I read in this very thread that
I cannot tell you which thread, but I read it here too, without spoiler tags.
Old 04-04-24, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 271 Likes on 199 Posts

Most like me don't know there is a female one and I read the comics for a long time.

So it won't matter that it is another "surfer" people will just think they switched the character to a female. Hence the reaction.

Won't matter to me I don't have high hopes on this anyway.

Old 04-04-24, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Most like me don't know there is a female one and I read the comics for a long time.

So it won't matter that it is another "surfer" people will just think they switched the character to a female. Hence the reaction.

Won't matter to me I don't have high hopes on this anyway.
I mean she became the Silver surfer in like one issue of an alternate universe "what if" comic decades ago (spoiler for that comic, the galactus there isn't even galactus it's Franklin). So they did basically just switch the character to female. I did think Frankie Raye/Nova too but I think you need a bit more setup for that to be impactful.

In any case lots of gnashing of teeth is going to happen until this comes out, just weird announcement timing with the whole proxy battle ending yesterday too.
Old 04-04-24, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I mean she became the Silver surfer in like one issue of an alternate universe "what if" comic decades ago (spoiler for that comic, the galactus there isn't even galactus it's Franklin). So they did basically just switch the character to female. I did think Frankie Raye/Nova too but I think you need a bit more setup for that to be impactful.

In any case lots of gnashing of teeth is going to happen until this comes out, just weird announcement timing with the whole proxy battle ending yesterday too.
They're trying to subvert expectations and check the boxes... because that worked so well with the Star Wars sequels.

When they finally reveal Norrin Rad, no one will give a shit.

They should focus on X-men 97 and animation.

The MCU is in such a crappy state that it's going take more than one film to bring it back to greatness (assuming that's even possible).
PhantomStranger (04-05-24)
Old 04-04-24, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean we have two franchises (this and X-men) coming, if they don't respark the MCU nothing will.
Old 04-04-24, 11:03 AM

The following 2 users liked this post by dex14:
d2cheer (04-04-24), IBJoel (04-04-24)
Old 04-04-24, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Received 1,073 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
She won an Emmy three times for her work on Ozark.
I don't watch TV/series, for the most part.

Oh also, question: I'm not huge on FF. Did the 2005 movie originate the "Johnny flies and lights up a big '4' in the sky" thing?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.