Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fantastic Four (2025, D: Shakman) S: Pascal, Kirby, Moss-Bachrach, Quinn

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Fantastic Four (2025, D: Shakman) S: Pascal, Kirby, Moss-Bachrach, Quinn

Old 04-04-24, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,288 Likes on 883 Posts
Re: The Fantastic Four (2025, D: Shakman) S: Pascal, Kirby, Moss-Bachrach, Quinn

Wow. Just wow at the reactions.

How will she ever carry a proton pack surfboard?

No silver dong, no sale!

What next, making the Silver Surfer bronze?

The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-04-24)
Old 04-04-24, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,122 Likes on 1,633 Posts
Re: The Fantastic Four (2025, D: Shakman) S: Pascal, Kirby, Moss-Bachrach, Quinn

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

No silver dong, no sale!

Absolutely there are a lot of people who will react just because it's a woman in the role... you can usually spot them by searching for the term "woke."

But I feel like this is a little different. Yes, the entire MCU is adapted loosely from the source material, not a direct representation (and I'm still a little bitter about how they did the Nova Corps). Even so, if they had made Peggy Carter into Captain America from the get go instead of Steve Rogers, there'd be some outcry. Like I said before, I doubt many are as big a fan of SS and just waiting for them to be on the screen again to elicit a huge response but I can see why some would be disappointed that they went away from Norrin Radd.

I mean I can't throw stones since I was majorly disappointed in things like making Galactus into a cloud.
Old 04-04-24, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,412 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I grew up reading the John Byrne FF and loved the character of Frankie Ray who became Nova, a new herald for Galactus.

Her love story with Johnny Storm and him being crushed when she became Nova was a great drama as a kid. It would have been extremely cool (at least for me) if they had done that story and cast her for that character.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing myself, I could see her as Nova. That was a great story in the comics (as was most of Byrne's FF run at the time)..
Old 04-05-24, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

No silver dong, no sale!

Norrin Radd is the Silver Surfer, not Shalla Bal. Shalla Bal as the Silver Surfer changes everything.

That's like saying that major Boothroyd (Q) is 007 and James Bond is Q.
Old 04-05-24, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 786 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Norrin Radd is the Silver Surfer, not Shalla Bal. Shalla Bal as the Silver Surfer changes everything.

That's like saying that major Boothroyd (Q) is 007 and James Bond is Q.
Was there problems with Thor and Lady Thor?
IBJoel (04-08-24)
Old 04-05-24, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
We didn't start with Lady Thor though (and she never stood apart from guy Thor either). Plus, for comic nerds one of the factors is that Lady Thor had a great comics run (in the absence of guy Thor even).

Of course, people still hated that movie (not necessarily because of her) so I dunno.
Old 04-05-24, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
"Lady Thor," didn't come in until the 4th Thor movie. Given how the MCU works that's about right.

Shalla Bal REPLACING Norrin Radd as the Silver Surfer from the get-go, that's not right. That's like saying Peter Parker is the Human Torch and Johnny Storm is Spider-Man. It's factually inaccurate for that universe. It's stupid.
Old 04-05-24, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,889 Likes on 1,975 Posts

"Lady Thor," didn't come in until the 4th Thor movie. Given how the MCU works that's about right.
I'm kind of... I wasn't really a fan of "Lady Thor" in the fourth movie.

The thing is, these are movies. We get one movie every two or three years, and we'll only get three or four tops. I'd rather each movie be some kind of big, epic thing and pulling stunts like having Jane become Thor just feels weird and forced when it's only Thor's fourth story. It's one thing to do these stories in comics that have been running monthly for decades. It's another when you only get four or five movies. In that event, I think it works best to just play the greatest hits and not trot out the b-sides and deep cuts. Even the Beta Ray Bill storyline would seem kind of odd in the MCU, at least until the sixth or seventh phase. I also didn't really love Ragnarok as much as everyone else -- it was like a mash-up of the Planet Hulk story and the literal Ragnarok from Norse mythology and didn't feel like it served either of those stories particularly well.

That's kind of the problem with making superheroes into movies. The above mentioned Frankie Ray/Nova storyline is certainly interesting, but it's the kind of thing that needs to be developed over time.

This is one of the reasons that Fox X-Men movies never worked for me. The thing about the X-Men comics is that -- and specifically under Claremont's pen -- they were these soap operas based around science fiction tropes with slow-burning plots and evolving character dynamics. And that's not something that can be captured in two hour movies.
Abob Teff (04-05-24)
Old 04-05-24, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I'm kind of... I wasn't really a fan of "Lady Thor" in the fourth movie.
Well, I'd say that's more because the movie sucked than the concept of a Lady Thor does.

Love and Thunder was a crap movie with a few good scenes.
Old 04-05-24, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It would've been great if something like Agents of SHIELD worked better to bridge the gaps between movies, have cameos of characters every once in a while and basically be the comic book like glue between the big events. Like the Hydra reveal altering Agents of Shield was awesome. Like a lower budget New Mutants or B-team X-men show would be great. The problem is that even something like Falcon and Winter Soldier is just too expensive.

As far as Jane Thor, i thought that it was time to do it because also unlike comics, the characters/actors aren't going to be around forever. Now that movie had way too much other stuff going on to properly give weight to Jane's story, but I don't think that's too out of place. But start with Jane Thor? I don't see that, the character doesn't have the history away from the main inspiration like someone like Danvers does.

But just make an awesome movie (or comic for that matter) and that should be what matters.
Old 04-05-24, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Surfboards are too heavy for ladies anyway. They should call her the Silver Paddleboarder or something!

/s
Old 04-05-24, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,185 Posts

The Fantastic Four have always been a boring Hero group to me. I respect them and their Legacy, but they bore me. That said, I'm perfectly fine with a woman Silver Surfer or similar. I guess my Marvel Fan Employee, who has vowed to NOT watch this film because of this casting, is right about me ..."Dude, you're a Casual Fan".
The following 3 users liked this post by Giantrobo:
Abob Teff (04-05-24), DJariya (04-05-24), IBJoel (04-08-24)
Old 04-05-24, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
The Fantastic Four have always been a boring Hero group to me. I respect them and their Legacy, but they bore me. That said, I'm perfectly fine with a woman Silver Surfer or similar. I guess my Marvel Fan Employee, who has vowed to NOT watch this film because of this casting, is right about me ..."Dude, you're a Casual Fan".
The thing is, Norrin Radd is the Silver Surfer, not Shalla Bal.

It really would be like rebooting 007 where it's Major Boothroyd as 007 and James Bond as Q. It makes no sense. That's not who each character is. Mary Jane isn't the Spider hero, Peter Parker is. That's what makes the character so interesting - he's a total geeky nerd who has a ton of real world problems. Take that away and the character isn't nearly as good.

The same with the Silver Surfer.
Old 04-05-24, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 79 Likes on 58 Posts

In a film universe that has already established multiverse and endless timeline possibilities, just like with the 1963 setting, where things start (Shalla-Bal) may not necessarily be where things end up for most of the (overall) screentime.
The following 3 users liked this post by Paul_SD:
Artman (04-06-24), IBJoel (04-08-24), majorjoe23 (04-06-24)
Old 04-05-24, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 869 Likes on 730 Posts

The Multiverse has quickly become a cheap crutch for studios to justify their inane casting decisions.

Mary Jane Watson is Spider-Man! Coming soon in the highly anticipated Spider-Man 7: The House of Ideas Has Run Out of Ideas. Stay tuned to Disney+ for more details.
Old 04-05-24, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,185 Posts

OR....

The Cinematic Multiverse has become a space where NEW IDEAS and NEW CONCEPTS can be explored without causing harm to the "OG Timelines/Universes".

But hey, when Fans get pissed about changes it's easy to shit on the Multiverse.
The following 3 users liked this post by Giantrobo:
Abob Teff (04-05-24), Draven (04-08-24), IBJoel (04-08-24)
Old 04-05-24, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If it's really just stunt casting to give way back to the norm, then why bother? Seems like a way to just get a cheap reaction. I really hope this is some vision the artists have and not some dumb "watch them go crazy over this" casting decision (and I doubt it is, just the timing is incredible)

But again, please just a good movie, that's all I want.
Old 04-05-24, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,412 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Agree that Norrin Radd should be the Silver Surfer. And what, they are going to jump right into the Galactus storyline instead of letting it build? Or maybe the Surfer shows up at the end of the film heralding the imminent arrival of Galactus?
Old 04-05-24, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Honestly though, how much build up did Galactus have in the comics: Silver Surfer came as a herald and Galactus, IIRC, showed up in the same issue. How many movies do we need as a build up? Galactus is probably either the cause of them being separated from the MCU or the reason they come back.
Old 04-05-24, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig
Honestly though, how much build up did Galactus have in the comics: Silver Surfer came as a herald and Galactus, IIRC, showed up in the same issue. How many movies do we need as a build up? Galactus is probably either the cause of them being separated from the MCU or the reason they come back.
Galactus showed up 4 years into the run of the FF.

They didn't start with a world eating opponent. They built up to that level of threat. The biggest problem with the MCU since Endgame has been stakes that are absurdly high in every single MCU movie. They've become interchangeable, with threats so big that they dwarf the characters and character development. The MCU was built on characters and character development, but that's been gone since Endgame (well, since Infinity War, really).

Starting the FF off against Galactus would be perpetuating the problem.
Old 04-05-24, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Galactus showed up 4 years into the run of the FF.

They didn't start with a world eating opponent. They built up to that level of threat. The biggest problem with the MCU since Endgame has been stakes that are absurdly high in every single MCU movie. They've become interchangeable, with threats so big that they dwarf the characters and character development. The MCU was built on characters and character development, but that's been gone since Endgame (well, since Infinity War, really).

Starting the FF off against Galactus would be perpetuating the problem.
Hopefully they don't defeat Galactus absolutely or something, which I kind of doubt (but don't know for sure). I'd had kind of assumed that they were going to treat the FF as an established team with a history we just didn't see, instead of having to spend another whole movie establishing their origins/first mission/etc. If we are going to start from scratch then yeah, save Galactus/Doom for later. But I also don't see Galactus as really a multi movie culmination like Thanos is, so I don't think there's that much buildup needed, it's not like we're guaranteed five films with this cast.
Old 04-05-24, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,889 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Well, I'd say that's more because the movie sucked than the concept of a Lady Thor does.

Love and Thunder was a crap movie with a few good scenes.
The premise with the Godslayer was good, but like too many MCU projects, the tone was all over the place. And I thought Jane's arc was touching, but all of the elements never gelled into a cohesive film.

It reminds me of The Marvels. There's a solid story in there, but it's brought down by all of the lame humor and dumb shit they cram into the films.
Abob Teff (04-05-24)
Old 04-05-24, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully they don't defeat Galactus absolutely or something, which I kind of doubt (but don't know for sure). I'd had kind of assumed that they were going to treat the FF as an established team with a history we just didn't see, instead of having to spend another whole movie establishing their origins/first mission/etc. If we are going to start from scratch then yeah, save Galactus/Doom for later. But I also don't see Galactus as really a multi movie culmination like Thanos is, so I don't think there's that much buildup needed, it's not like we're guaranteed five films with this cast.
My issue is with every single fucking Marvel movie having the fate of the entire world, if not half of the universe, at stake. The stakes need to be smaller, not bigger.
teameck (04-10-24)
Old 04-06-24, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,206 Likes on 738 Posts

We didn't start with Lady Thor though (and she never stood apart from guy Thor either). Plus, for comic nerds one of the factors is that Lady Thor had a great comics run (in the absence of guy Thor even).

Of course, people still hated that movie (not necessarily because of her) so I dunno.
Lady Thor was the least of that movie's problems.
Old 04-06-24, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Lady Thor was the least of that movie's problems.
Absolutely!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.