Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, D: Michael Dougherty) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rating
1.79%
5.36%
39.29%
17.86%
12.50%
8.93%
7.14%
1.79%
3.57%
1.79%
0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, D: Michael Dougherty) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-19, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, D: Michael Dougherty) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I love the classic Toho films but in all honesty they are firmly a product of 50s/60s/70s Japanese sensibilities. Kind of like Hammer Horror films. They need a 50s/60s British Technicolor feel or they don't work.

The same reason Universal Classic Monsters kind of only work in black and white, and back in the golden age of Hollywood.

I loved Cloverfield because it felt fresh, contemporary, and scary. And surprisingly, the human drama was not lip-service empty melodrama you couldn't give two shits about.
Old 09-08-19, 10:19 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, D: Michael Dougherty) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Pizza
On the running commentary the director admitted he didn't see any Godzilla movies until he signed on to this project. Hollywood needs to find artists that have some sort of passion for a project like this that has a history and a legacy. Certainly fans will come to a movie like this but there are not enough Godzilla fans to make an expensive movie a hit. So I understand tney need to elevate and re-invent the material to bring in new fans. They clearly failed here. At least it had some nice monster battles but that's not enough to get the franchise going. And I'm curious to see what they do with the next one as they seem clear to declare Godzilla the new King. What does that make Kong, who really is the King? Are they going to make Kong the bad guy?
Michael Dougherty grew up watching Godzilla films. That this film is chock full of Easter Eggs bears that out. Co-writer and producer Zach Shields was the newcomer to kaiju flicks.
Old 09-15-19, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Shin Godzilla is $10.39 on Amazon right now. I just ordered it and am looking forward to watching it for the first time.
Old 09-15-19, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Shin Godzilla is $10.39 on Amazon right now. I just ordered it and am looking forward to watching it for the first time.
It’s *really* different.

Its damn good, but it is not a standard Godzilla movie. The tone is probably closer to the original 1954 film but with its own voice.
Old 10-02-19, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman
Transformers Last Knight really crashed and burned a lot more than this movie. But they were able to turn it around, very quickly too, by releasing Bumblebee on a budget. Which is what I think more studios should do.
The bolded above isn't true. Last Knight disappointed, but it cleared $605 million worldwide on a $240 million budget. KotM grossed only $385 million on a $185 million budget.

Transformers made 2.52 times its budget worldwide. Godzilla did 2.08. Films generally need to make 3X their budgets worldwide to make money. Both were money losers at the box office, but Last Knight crashed and burned quite a bit less than Godzilla. It didn't make money, but it lost less money than Godzilla did.

I do agree though, that lower budget sequels will be the only way these franchises will continue, unless they move to a streaming platform. Bumblebee did 3.95X its budget worldwide (a budget that was half of Last Knight's).
Old 10-02-19, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Bumblebee is the best film out of those shit Bay films. This whole Last Night and Godzilla comparison is like saying which piece of shit smells less.
Old 10-02-19, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The bolded above isn't true. Last Knight disappointed, but it cleared $605 million worldwide on a $240 million budget. KotM grossed only $385 million on a $185 million budget.

Transformers made 2.52 times its budget worldwide. Godzilla did 2.08. Films generally need to make 3X their budgets worldwide to make money. Both were money losers at the box office, but Last Knight crashed and burned quite a bit less than Godzilla. It didn't make money, but it lost less money than Godzilla did.

I do agree though, that lower budget sequels will be the only way these franchises will continue, unless they move to a streaming platform. Bumblebee did 3.95X its budget worldwide (a budget that was half of Last Knight's).
I stand corrected. Thanks for the information. I didn't know Bumblebee was almost a 4x multiplier and that Last Knight made up so much at the foreign BO. That sucks for Godzilla, I thought for sure it would do better at the foreign BO.
Old 10-03-19, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tanman
I stand corrected. Thanks for the information. I didn't know Bumblebee was almost a 4x multiplier and that Last Knight made up so much at the foreign BO. That sucks for Godzilla, I thought for sure it would do better at the foreign BO.
Yeah its foreign BO was puzzling. Generally big budget spectacle goes over well in foreign markets, especially China. Of course Godzilla being a Japanese creation might not go over well.

Honestly why don't they build a "Monsterverse" on a streaming platform? I'd much rather see some kind of Monarch mythology worldbuilding over 10 episodes a year, rather than these bloated empty features with forgettable characters, anemic plots, but with acceptable (if forgettable) monster clashes.
Old 10-05-19, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Yeah its foreign BO was puzzling. Generally big budget spectacle goes over well in foreign markets, especially China. Of course Godzilla being a Japanese creation might not go over well.

Honestly why don't they build a "Monsterverse" on a streaming platform? I'd much rather see some kind of Monarch mythology worldbuilding over 10 episodes a year, rather than these bloated empty features with forgettable characters, anemic plots, but with acceptable (if forgettable) monster clashes.
Yeah it's weird. I think foreign tastes (And yes I know I'm painting with a huge brush here) is kind of behind American tastes in a way. Despite what people say, I think the American palette has grown accustom to demanding more from big blockbuster movies. The shear spectacle of it all is not enough anymore. We need the mythos and the plot along with the SFX. Of course it took how many of those Bay monstrosities for the audience to finally come to it's senses when it came to Transformers movies?
Old 10-24-19, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Long live the king!

This is a great movie for Mystery Science Theater...it's so bad it's good.
I would have ejected it from the Oppo after the first half hour if the Mrs. didn't love the Godzee of our youth so much.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters is the first movie in the 21st Century to be made SPECIFICALLY for Stoners.
Fortunately, I live in a state where herbal refreshments are legal.
And I can say with confidence, it did improve the movie.
Sadly, not enough....FORCING me to go to the basement to grab some fungus I have growing there.
BINGO, BANGO, BUNGO...suddenly King of Monsters became Citizen Kane material, the stuff of dreams.

FWIW, I voted 3 stars for this movie...with a caveat.
1 star if viewed without refreshments, and 5 stars with.

Old 10-24-19, 12:20 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

This movie was pretty fucking bad. It was a chore to sit through. Basically nothing more than a cameo from Godzilla. Maybe his agent demanded too much money. Fuck you, Godzilla's agent.
Old 10-24-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Will poor sales set back Godzilla vs King Kong?
Old 10-24-19, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
Will poor sales set back Godzilla vs King Kong?
There's speculation that it may get delayed or just pushed back a bit. Some were saying that the NYCC came and went and not a peep was uttered about the project. Folks were expecting a trailer.

Old 10-24-19, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
There's speculation that it may get delayed or just pushed back a bit. Some were saying that the NYCC came and went and not a peep was uttered about the project. Folks were expecting a trailer.

Thanks for the info. That is the one I am looking forward to the most. I haven't seen King of Monsters yet but it seems I am not missing much. I seen first one and I enjoyed it. Not sure why I lost interest to want to see King of Monsters. The trailers didn't do much for me though I did find Mothra cute.
Old 10-27-19, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Strong rumor the GvK trailer will drop this week, as it's likely to be attached to Doctor Sleep.
Old 05-04-20, 12:06 AM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Finally got around to seeing this. Wanted to see it on the big screen, but bad reviews had me save my money. Glad I did.

As others have mentioned, the monster action is solid, but too dark, and cuts away way too fast.

The human element in this film is so boring, uninteresting, and just a plot mover. I doubt anyone cares about the stupid characters, their asinine plot, and every time they run away it's near death. Talk about cliche after cliche in this one.

I guess it was overall better than I imagined after reading all the bad press, but I have no desire to see this again, or if I do, I'm skipping the human scenes. Just lots of stupid shit and ridiculous moments that they might as well have made this a cartoon.
Old 04-06-21, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Rewatched last night, this was still a lot of fun and I don't get the criticisms of the humans' actions. The plot is right out of the old school Toho films, just transplanted to America. MBB can do no wrong in my eyes but damn if the mom character doesn't resemble Elizabeth Olsen. The first time I watched this I thought it was the same couple from the 2014 film and I wondered where the daughter came from.

It was also weird seeing the fight scenes from the 2014 film as archival footage, but this time you could actually see them.

So, tonight will be GvK!
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (04-06-21)