Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, D: Michael Dougherty) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Rating
1.79%
5.36%
39.29%
17.86%
12.50%
8.93%
7.14%
1.79%
3.57%
1.79%
0%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, D: Michael Dougherty) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Old 08-30-19, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,188 Likes on 2,056 Posts
Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, D: Michael Dougherty) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
A steaming failure pile of liquid shit. 2 out of 5 and I'm being generous. Just terrible. If you like this movie and shit on Michael Bay movies, you might be a hypocrite.
I agree with this. Though I’m not sure I’d give it so much as 2 out of 5.

I wanted to punch everyone in this movie for their stupid ass decisions. The mom, the dad, the kid, the scientists, the monsters...the director, the producer. Just fucking everybody!

And I’ve been known to defend Michael Bay in the past.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 08-31-19 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-31-19, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, D: Michael Dougherty) -- The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
A steaming failure pile of liquid shit. 2 out of 5 and I'm being generous. Just terrible. If you like this movie and shit on Michael Bay movies, you might be a hypocrite.
When I saw this at a local multiplex in late June, the theater management turned the house lights on after it had started and allowed a busload of schoolkids into our screening without warning--all while the movie was running. (It was a morning weekday screening.) The constant stream of kids in and out of my row to confer with their teachers and distribute snacks and such finally compelled me to leave and ask for my money back. It was the worst moviegoing experience of my life.

So, as of this writing, I've only seen the first hour. But what I saw matches Hokeyboy's description perfectly.

I felt especially bad for Ken Watanabe and Zhang Ziyi. I imagine a pre-production script conference where the decision was made to give all the worst lines of dialogue to the two Asian actors, since they figured they'd be the least likely to complain.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 08-31-19 at 04:13 AM.
Old 08-31-19, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 477 Likes on 350 Posts

Wow, the late comments about the movie are the most negative.

It's a Godzilla movie. It's supposed to be big, dumb fun. Yeah, it could have been (and probably should have been) better when it comes to the characters and their actions, but on the Godzilla movie scale it holds up pretty well.

I thought it was a fun ride. Nothing great, but a fun movie. I didn't come in to the movie expecting Shawshank level writing, so I didn't set myself up for disappointment. I went in expecting a Godzilla movie (and all the baggage that comes with that, both good and bad), and that's exactly what I got.
Old 08-31-19, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Thing is, I went in with low expectations given the 2014 movie... and still didn't meet them.
Old 08-31-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B5Erik

It's a Godzilla movie. It's supposed to be big, dumb fun. Yeah, it could have been (and probably should have been) better when it comes to the characters and their actions, but on the Godzilla movie scale it holds up pretty well.

I thought it was a fun ride. Nothing great, but a fun movie. I didn't come in to the movie expecting Shawshank level writing, so I didn't set myself up for disappointment. I went in expecting a Godzilla movie (and all the baggage that comes with that, both good and bad), and that's exactly what I got.
I guess it was better than the 2014 movie. Although, to be fair I don’t really remember much about it. This one did have some action scenes and a lot of destruction.
But the human characters’ motivations and actions were so fucking incomprehensible, it was hard to have any sort of emotion while watching it....aside from utter bewilderment.

There’s a movie cliché that I’ve been seeing a lot lately where adults, with supposedly normal brain functioning, allow kids into Top Secret/highly dangerous/restricted areas for no reason than to somewhat propel the paper-thin plot forward (see also The Predator). It happened here within the first 10 minutes of the movie and it already lost me before the story even got going (and frankly, it only got more mind numbingly stupid from there).

Even beyond the ridiculous character actions, the movie just doesn’t work, like, at all. The characters travel around the world with no consideration for time. It was essentially teleportation levels of unbelievability. They traveled on some Star Trek rip-off Flying Fortress type plane. The camera shows the characters watching every event unfold when they should be far from eyesight. The final scenes show them watching everything happen from the helicopter for several minutes when they should have been long gone. Every time I figured they’d be miles away, the caners cuts to them watching in amazement as the action unfolds again.

I’m not sure if the Godzilla vs. King Kong movie is still planned but I don’t see how they can have an even remotely believable fight between the two when we’ve just seen how incredibly big and powerful Godzilla is.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 08-31-19 at 11:17 AM.
Old 08-31-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I think Godzilla vs Kong will ultimately end up being those two bashing a handful of other monsters after they go face to face. Also, the Kong they introduced in the last movie is much bigger in size and stronger than the one in the Peter Jackson Kong.
Old 08-31-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Also, the Kong they introduced in the last movie is much bigger in size and stronger than the one in the Peter Jackson Kong.
He is but that still makes him approximately half the size of the Godzilla we’ve seen in these last couple of movies. Oh and Kong isn’t thermonuclear either.
Old 08-31-19, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

I’m not sure if the Godzilla vs. King Kong movie is still planned but I don’t see how they can have an even remotely believable fight between the two when we’ve just seen how incredibly big and powerful Godzilla is.
It's already been made. Think they're doing reshoots now IIRC.
Old 08-31-19, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

I think the problem with Godzilla is that, on paper, it's a really great concept.

But in practice, it's really hard to make a good movie around it.
Old 08-31-19, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I think the problem with Godzilla is that, on paper, it's a really great concept.
The problem isn't Godzilla. The problem is all the crappy human characters they keep putting into his movies.
Old 08-31-19, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

But in practice, it's really hard to make a good movie around it.
I think the Fukushima disaster a few years ago could have been the perfect starting point to a good Godzilla movie with a strong social commentary.

I’m not a huge fan of the franchise but it’s possible to make an action packed, entertaining movie that still has something to say.
Old 09-01-19, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ That's exactly what Shin Godzilla is - and it's phenomenal.
Old 09-01-19, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

2014 was somewhat enjoyable.

This one on the other hand was just terrible.
Old 09-01-19, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by islandclaws
I did not know this. I feel like I should get paid some type of royalties for my idea though...

It boggles my mind that there’s one of the largest nuclear disasters in history that took place in Japan and then 3 years later a big budget Godzilla film is made that DOESN’T use that as the jumping off point!
Old 09-01-19, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,187 Likes on 914 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Old 09-01-19, 07:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 901 Likes on 762 Posts

So, this really bombed here in states. I guess ok hit with foreign take, but why continue with this monster series if only to cater to foreign markets to make back money? Why Godzilla vs. King Kong when that movie (K:SI) didn’t hit in US either? And are these same Kong and Godzilla monsters as series? Any unifying factors? I mean seems this series has very less than stellar movies thus far...

Last edited by OldBoy; 09-01-19 at 10:25 PM.
Old 09-01-19, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 853 Posts

Unifying factors!? The movies are full of them ... they are monsters, Monarch is involved, we find out Kong is Chewbacca’s son (and they take time to explain the ringlets and rivets on Chewie’s bandolier), one of the fighter pilots is Goose’s son, another one is Will Smith’s son, we learn Mothra’s mother’s name is Marthra ... it’s all connected!
Old 09-01-19, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Rented this to try and watch it again; couldn't make it more than 20 mins. Interestingly enough, I also went to see a special 35mm screening of Destroy All Monsters and nearly walked out of that as it suffered from really the same problems that the new films suffered from: way too much human action with the monsters being relegated to glorified cameos. Perhaps, at least for me, the Godzilla films are a really cruel reminder of childhood nostalgia, as I find myself struggling to sit through any of them save for the original 1954 film.
Old 09-01-19, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,630 Likes on 2,604 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
So, this really bombed here in states. I guess ok hit with foreign take, but why continue with this monster series if only to cater to foreign markets to make back money? Why Godzilla vs. King Kong when that movie (K:SI) didn’t hit in US either? And are these same Kong and Godzilla monsters as series? Any unifying factors? I mean seems this series has very less than stellar movies thus far...
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=godzilla2.htm

It was a complete worldwide bomb for WB.

It only made $385M total worldwide. Budget was $170M + roughly $150M to market. This had a pretty big marketing budget. And then you have to subtract about 33% that goes to all the theatres for their cut. This lost a lot of money. If the 3rd movie wasn't already in the can, WB would have cancelled it.
Old 09-02-19, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,876 Posts

Yeah, it looks like the Monsterverse is going to end with Godzilla vs King Kong unless that movie goes (pardon the pun) apeshit at the box office.
Old 09-02-19, 06:26 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, it looks like the Monsterverse is going to end with Godzilla vs King Kong unless that movie goes (pardon the pun) apeshit at the box office.
Fitting way to end this so so series. I mean there aren't any more well known huge monsters anyway

Personally i'd like to see King Kong and Godzilla v Jaegers from Pacific Rim
Old 09-02-19, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik

Thank You!!!!!

It was on par with the better Toho G-films. Personally, I though It was better than all Toho g-films but G54.

Also...If you're judging a G-Film by the Human characters this Franchise simply isn't for you. Hey, "Downton Abbey" is dropping soon....

NO ONE GIIIIVESSS A FFUUUUUUUCCCCKK ABOUT HUMANS IN G-FILMS. If you say you do then you probably read Playboy for the articles...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-02-19 at 09:55 AM.
Old 09-02-19, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Thank You!!!!!

It was on par with the better Toho G-films. Personally, I though It was better than all Toho g-films but G54.

Also...If you're judging a G-Film by the Human characters this Franchise simply isn't for you. Hey, "Downton Abbey" is dropping soon....

NO ONE GIIIIVESSS A FFUUUUUUUCCCCKK ABOUT HUMANS IN G-FILMS. If you say you do then you probably read Playboy for the articles...
I like Downton Abbey and Playboy used to do some good journalism (haven't read in years) but I do agree about the story.

My very first impression about the plot was that it felt exactly like a classic Japanese G film plot (from the late 60s, early 70s) just transplanted to America. The precocious kid, the questionable tech, the giant flying airship. That's right out of Destroy All Monsters or Gigan or Hedorah.

That was the problem, it felt like a Japanese story with Americans slotted into the roles.
Old 09-03-19, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Agreed on the movie not being overly different from the Japanese ones. My memories of the original movies were full of wonder and awe over giant monsters fighting. In preparation for the 2014 Godzilla movie coming out, I revisited several of them. Many are pretty slow, plots nonsensical, and acting often bland. For better or worse, GKotM was very similar. I do think this is one of the better ones, although my feelings may be tainted by nostalgia over seeing the monsters I loved as a kid look and act more badass than the rubber suit versions.
Old 09-03-19, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

If the first movie had too little Godzilla / monster action... this one had WAAAAY too much. It was on the level of a Transformers movie and left me bored (which was probably the opposite of the intent lol).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.