Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Parasite (2019, D: Bong Joon Ho)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Parasite (2019, D: Bong Joon Ho)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-23, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
Re: Parasite (2019, D: Bong Joon Ho)

Originally Posted by cultshock
Also, public shaming is a big part of the culture.
Public shaming is a huge part of our culture as well. We just have it backwards where you do stupid shit to publicly humiliate yourself in order to become a "celebrity."

RIP Lee Sun-Kyun. Thank you for sharing your art with us.
The following 2 users liked this post by Abob Teff:
Brian T (12-28-23), cultshock (12-27-23)
Old 12-27-23, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,216 Likes on 1,513 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Meanwhile a relatively large percentage of their population could be categorized as alcoholics, but there's not the same social stigma.
Very true, same with Japan. God forbid you smoke a joint, you could actually do time for that, but it's ok to stumble home blind drunk every night after going out for drinks post-work, and no one on the subway even bats an eye. I've seen it often.
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (12-27-23)
Old 12-27-23, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

I've been meaning to revisit this flick recently, this tragic news makes me not sure I'll enjoy my intended rewatch at this particular time.

So sad for him, his wife, and their two kids.
Old 12-28-23, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Korean culture is in general is pretty intense (speaking from close association), very ‘110% or nothing’, not unlike the other big Asian cultures (China, Japan), but really moreso. And their suicide rate seems to follow in step, with the country consistently having the highest rate among all OCED countries. Hollywood certainlyhas its share of suicides and suspicious deaths, but I think the Korean industry really takes the cake in terms of how ‘big’ the victims often are (Lee’s death was something like the fifth or sixth one this year alone), how high the cultural and industry expectations are, and how punishing the condemnation is for any little slip-up. And in the arts, it’s rarely supporting actors or back-up musicians cracking under the pressure, but top names.

I’ve also read that Korea has a pretty week system of support for anyone with mental health issues.

As with previous K-celeb suicides, Lee’s has prompted new (but hardly the first) articles exploring the ‘death cult’ phenomenon, noting previous big-name endings and (rightly, I think) questioning the high-pressure nature of the culture and its entertainment industries:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-pop-star.html

Here’s a similarly interesting piece from 2020 (particularly the veritable chain reaction recounted in the first few paragraphs):
https://amp.theguardian.com/music/20...-never-changes

Last edited by Brian T; 01-01-24 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-28-23, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 363 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by As with previous K-celeb suicides, Lee’s has prompted new (but hardly the first) articles exploring the ‘death cult’ phenomenon, noting previous big-name endings and (rightly, I think) questioning the high-pressure nature of the culture and its entertainment industries:
[url
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12903349/amp/lee-sun-kyun-dead-south-korea-celebrity-deaths-parasite-actor-k-pop-star.html[/url]

Here’s a similarly interesting piece from 2020 (particularly the veritable chain reaction recounted in the first few paragraphs):
https://amp.theguardian.com/music/20...-never-changes
My favorite actress of all time was Choi Jin-Sil. She took her life at the age of 39. She was known as the “nation’s actress” in South Korea. Hope i didn't hijack this thread.
The Tragic Life And Death Choi Jin Sil, The “Nation′s Actress” Of South Korea.
https://www.koreaboo.com/stories/tra...s-south-korea/
The following users liked this post:
Brian T (01-01-24)