Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
14.29%
22.45%
40.82%
14.29%
6.12%
2.04%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-19, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 745 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Just got back from seeing John Wick 3 and while it is my least favorite of the three it was still a blast. Some of the scenes actually made my body ache. 4/5
Old 06-08-19, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 971 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum (Stahelski, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

What a blast. Despite the circular story, it was far more entertaining than JW2. The action sequences were ridiculous. Everyone's mentioned the most of the cool shit, but where's the love for Berry's dogs? I'm not sure how much was CG and how much was real animals, but those attacks were brutal and paired nicely with Wick and Sophia's style.

My two biggest gripes are, first, continuity. I watched JW2 this afternoon and it ends at 5:00pm on a nice sunset in the park. This movie opens at 5:10pm and it's pitch black out and NY is in the middle of a monsoon. WTF? That's just lazy writing, IMO. Sure the night/rain might look cooler, but the opening is long enough that they could have taken us there more naturally.

Second, Wick losing his finger. While it's always a shocker when a character in a film/show loses a limb, you're forever stuck with that decision. There was one scene where it was clear Reeves was holding a fake hand as one arm was longer than the other. Plus it looked much fatter (they didn't bother casting Reeves' hand for a mold?) and completely limp in some scenes. Maybe he can rock a black glove like Skywalker for Chapter 4 so it's less distracting.

Lastly, the casting of the woman from the High Table. Something about her performance was just distracting. I don't think she was bad, per se, just 'off.' Maybe not the right actress for the role? I duuno, she just didn't click for me. I kept picturing Anne Hathaway in that role.

Finally, the most grotesque thing in the film? That ballerina yanking off her toenail.

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
It was great to see Mark Dacascos in a big, showy role in a Hollywood blockbuster. This is a guy who has really deserved more bigscreen success than he's gotten over the years.
While he was good in this and can pull off some great fight sequences/stunts, in the handful of things I've seen him in, he's generally lacking in the acting department. So I'd say is exposure is probably exactly as it should be.
Old 06-08-19, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 745 Likes on 450 Posts

I want a trilogy starring the two dogs.
Old 06-08-19, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,196 Likes on 4,892 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
I want a trilogy starring the two dogs.

Old 06-16-19, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 315 Likes on 230 Posts

Saw it last night for the first time and loved it. Best of the series by a country mile. As over the top as they are, the fight scenes just keep getting better. And Halle Berry was amazing. Good to see Anjelica Huston on the big screen again too!
Old 06-16-19, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 377 Likes on 270 Posts

Looks like this will surpass the total domestic box-office of both films combined!! Very cool!!
Old 06-16-19, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 570 Likes on 401 Posts

I finally saw it last Thursday night. I thought it improved from Part 2 but there were a few things I didn't quite like. John cutting off his finger was pretty much for nothing. The end and setup for part 4 didn't quite seem right. So John will be a part of the Underworld and team up with The Bowery King to take on the High Table?
Old 06-18-19, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This got boring and redundant for me as the movie went on. And I liked the previous JW movies.
Old 09-11-19, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 226 Likes on 190 Posts

I know most probably have cut the chord, but Xfinity has had some amusing descriptions on the grid for some movies. The one for this has "If blood freaks you out, keep scrolling".

As for the movie itself, the first two movies were great, this one had its moments but had a weak story and pointless parts that were unnecessary (such as the aforementioned cutting off of the finger). Initially gave it a 3.75/5 rounding up to a 4/5. Now it's rounding down to a 3.5/5.
Old 01-11-20, 04:28 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been saving this to watch, finally watched it

totally kicked ass !

Great fights and action as usual and new fresh fight scenarios

Knife throwing v asians in the museum place

using horses as weapons (kicking)

Guns and dogs teaming with Halle was awesome

Motorcycle sword play, also awesome

Not sure why Wick and Winston didn't kill the Adjudicator before she made the call

the fight with Dascasos was disappointing, especially after the fight with the raid guys. I have always been a fan of Dascasos, but this isn't the 1993 Only the Strong version of him

I would have liked to have seen a couple more rounds of John and the concierge returning to the gun vault to get bigger and better firepower during the final battle

Top movie overall though
Old 01-11-20, 08:54 AM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,110 Likes on 926 Posts

this is on HBO tonight...