Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Shoveler
How the Hell did Tony get to do a snap at all?! Whatever happened to the line from IW, something like "My lord, you have accomplished something no living being has ever accomplished before, wielding two Infinity Stones." Whatever happened to the fact that Peter Quill, who is half Celestial, needed help from his friends to contain the power of a single Infinity Stone. Whatever happened to the conclusion that the Hulk had to be the one to snap everyone back because his body was the only one that could survive. Someone please explain to me how all of that gets tossed out the window and no one has a problem with it.
There was a problem. Wielding the stones killed Tony. Hulk survived wielding it. Maybe Peter would have. But Tony didn’t.
Old 04-28-19, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Even Doctor Strange knew Tony would die and only gave him that last minute nod at the very end before the snap.
I wonder if Benedict Cumberbatch was the only one who was told about how Endgame would end? It adds a lot to his character’s somber delivery when talking to Stark at the of IW, knowing the ONLY outcome from 14,000,000 would be that Tony had to die.
Old 04-28-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Has anyone else wondered where Valkyrie got her flying horse? Can she she create new ones?
Old 04-28-19, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

I wonder if Benedict Cumberbatch was the only one who was told about how Endgame would end? It adds a lot to his character’s somber delivery when talking to Stark at the of IW, knowing the ONLY outcome from 14,000,000 would be that Tony had to die.
Which is why he says "if I tell you what happens, it won't come true."

Old 04-28-19, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Errr...The Force?

Of course, this has been skittered around a bit before. Like Ancient One and Strange can hold a stone. Hawkeye held one for cripes sakes. Maybe it's only the Power stone that has issues with a little bit of touchy wouchy?
It also killed Ronan the Accuser. He held a stone, too. Hell, even Thanos held it directly when he pulled it off the Gauntlet to keep Captain Marvel back.
Old 04-28-19, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Errr...The Force?

Of course, this has been skittered around a bit before. Like Ancient One and Strange can hold a stone. Hawkeye held one for cripes sakes. Maybe it's only the Power stone that has issues with a little bit of touchy wouchy?
Tony did just figure out time travel in 30 minutes. Not crazy to think he could create a glove to handle the stones.
Old 04-28-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle
-Infinity War came out right on the heels of Black Panther. T'Challa and Wakanda were extremely relevant to the plot of Infinity. Endgame came out on the heels of Captain Marvel, and yet Carol Danvers is barely in Endgame and has very little impact on the plot.
Your mistake here is looking at when the movies came out, instead of when they were made.

Black Panther was filmed before IW, but Captain Marvel was actually shot after they filmed IW/Endgame.
Old 04-28-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoveler
How the Hell did Tony get to do a snap at all?! Whatever happened to the line from IW, something like "My lord, you have accomplished something no living being has ever accomplished before, wielding two Infinity Stones." Whatever happened to the fact that Peter Quill, who is half Celestial, needed help from his friends to contain the power of a single Infinity Stone. Whatever happened to the conclusion that the Hulk had to be the one to snap everyone back because his body was the only one that could survive. Someone please explain to me how all of that gets tossed out the window and no one has a problem with it.
Quill barehanded the power stone. Ronin, Thanos, Loki, The ancient one, Dr. Strange, Red Skull, The Hulk and yes even Tony Stark needed some kind of device to wield the power of the stones. Everyone else that touched one or wielded one without a device only did so temporarily or was in danger or killed. And yeah Hulk survived and Tony died wielding it. How is that “tossed out the window” it conforms exactly to the rules they set up. And Tony didn’t do a selective snap. The power of the gauntlet isn’t to snap half the world out of existence that’s what Thanos used it to do. Hulk used it to bring those people back and Tony used it to wipe out his army.
Old 04-28-19, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Has anyone else wondered where Valkyrie got her flying horse? Can she she create new ones?
yeah I was wondering that. The only thing I could think of was Strange conjured one/teleported one to her? It’s pretty paper thin reasoning but it works...barely.
Old 04-28-19, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

I really enjoyed it. Tied thing together much tidier than I would have thought and not too unwieldy, considering the size of the cast.

How did Tony Start know that his dad and Hank Pym would be together at that base on the date of his birth? If anything, I'd expect my dad to be at home or at the hospital on my date of birth.

Minor quibble but I was taken by that scene of Scott Lang in SF five years after disappearing. I get that with half the population disappeared that basic services like trash collection could all go to hell. So how the hell did the remaining people get together, pool their scarce recources, and create a marble memorial with (presumably) millions of names carved into it in just five years? I mean the 9/11 memorial has 3000 names and it took 10 years to open. I know it's a minor thing done for story convenience, but some sort of smaller memorial with a computer terminal of missing names would have worked just as well and made a lot more sense. If you guys are going to nit pick every time-space continuum discrepancy, you've got to give me this one, right?
Old 04-28-19, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ

Yeah that’s an interesting thought. I was thinking that when he says to Tony in a remorseful tone “It was the only way.” It plays like he is remorseful for giving Thanos the time stone where now we realize he’s sorry that he just committed them on the path where the only way to victory is with Tony’s sacrifice.

But it I just thought of a possible plot hole or maybe solved a plot hole. If Strange looked into the future why didn’t he tell Quill not to ruin their chance of defeating Thanos on Titan? Or does this redeem Quill because they would have lost the battle anyways or the one timeline that their successful in Quill does his dumb thing anyways so it’s not his fault?
Old 04-28-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
I really enjoyed it. Tied thing together much tidier than I would have thought and not too unwieldy, considering the size of the cast.

How did Tony Start know that his dad and Hank Pym would be together at that base on the date of his birth? If anything, I'd expect my dad to be at home or at the hospital on my date of birth.

Minor quibble but I was taken by that scene of Scott Lang in SF five years after disappearing. I get that with half the population disappeared that basic services like trash collection could all go to hell. So how the hell did the remaining people get together, pool their scarce recources, and create a marble memorial with (presumably) millions of names carved into it in just five years? I mean the 9/11 memorial has 3000 names and it took 10 years to open. I know it's a minor thing done for story convenience, but some sort of smaller memorial with a computer terminal of missing names would have worked just as well and made a lot more sense. If you guys are going to nit pick every time-space continuum discrepancy, you've got to give me this one, right?
That’s a good point. But actually proportionally available resources have gone up since half the world is gone. And I think this one falls under “It works better for the sake of the movie.” Like characters reading a letter out loud to themselves when no one else is around.
Old 04-28-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hulk is clearly weaker in this movie. I don't think the Savage Hulk would have the control to make the right wish with the gauntlet, but I wonder if at his more Avengers 1/Ragnorok power levels if he would have survived the snap better than his powered down Professor Hulk did?

I thought the same thing about the car they were driving, that felt like it was a future car. I'm like who is designing new cars to drive when half the world dies? But it's apparently a concept car, and it stands to reason that they would have access to a tricked out ride, and not be rolling in a Camry.
Old 04-28-19, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$350 million domestic $1.2 billion overall.

Old 04-28-19, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Which is why he says "if I tell you what happens, it won't come true."
I think he also knew that Tony would die and would have to but if Tony knew that ahead of time, he might think twice about it. Pepper let him know that they would be alright and he let himself go.
Old 04-28-19, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by tanman
$350 million domestic $1.2 billion overall.

I look forward to James Cameron’s input after it unseats Titanic and Avatar.
Old 04-28-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Our IMAX show was at 7:45am, and it was packed.

Guy sitting next to my dad was in a full Cap costume, including the shield.

We enjoyed the hell out of it.
Old 04-28-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did they say it was actually Tony’s birthday? I thought it was just the year he was born, and that he was due soon.
Old 04-28-19, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler

I look forward to James Cameron’s input after it unseats Titanic and Avatar.

Old 04-28-19, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well to clarify, I love James Cameron. Has he ever commented on the MCU?

I think the Avatar sequels will be the next big thing. Till then ... I don’t have any big spectacles to look forward to. Endgame was it.
Old 04-28-19, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I think the Avatar sequels will be the next big thing. Till then ... I don’t have any big spectacles to look forward to. Endgame was it.
I love his work too but Avatar never clicked with me. Without the 3D element it would have never gotten that sales record. I don't think people are going to care too much about the sequels ten years later.

Meanwhile, I can't wait to go see Endgame again in a few hours. Aside from IW I've never seen a MCU movie more than once in the theater but I am almost fully converted into a Marvel fanboy now.
Old 04-28-19, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

yeah I was wondering that. The only thing I could think of was Strange conjured one/teleported one to her? It’s pretty paper thin reasoning but it works...barely.
Don't care, it was cool, leaving it at that LOL.
Old 04-28-19, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo

I don't think it is, because I don't think Avatar is rated all that high. There was this big discussion/running joke on /Filmcast about how Avatar has had no real lasting cultural impact. Considering how much money that movie made, it does feel like an "oh yeah, that movie exists" kinda movie to me if I'm honest. I didn't care for the flick though, and really went to see it because of the spectacle of 3d.

But what I'm also not going to do is count out James Cameron. That dude knows what he's doing, and if he's so passionate about these Avatar sequels I'm definitely going to pay attention, if I'm not especially excited for them myself.
Old 04-28-19, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

“I’m hoping we’ll start getting ‘Avenger’ fatigue here pretty soon,” Cameron said. “Not that I don’t love the movies. It’s just, come on guys, there are other stories to tell besides hyper-gonadal males without families doing death-defying things for two hours and wrecking cities in the process. It’s like, oy!”

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/ja...ge-1201955913/
Old 04-28-19, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

yeah that’s a good point.

Wow. That is pretty harsh. Care to elaborate? Or is it mainly because of the points you bring up.

Oh man I loved Potts in the armor. It has been hinted at in IM3 and earlier in endgame so I don’t think it’s quite as sudden as you think.
I agree, that’s why I said even I felt my rating was harsh. I’d like to give it a second watch before I lock that in. I initially started to go on a ten-point scale, I which case I would give it a 7. I suppose that should translate to a 3.5, but I didn’t feel it was a 3.5 out of 5. Not yet anyway.

It is a densely packed movie. While Infinity War did a good job standing on its own, I’d almost argue this either should have been trimmed a bit more or actually expanded and split into two parts (my preference!).

I’ll keep talking it through because it helps me. My post about Captain America returning Mjolnir ... yeah, I missed that. It was apparently evident to others. I should have realized it when he didn’t come back with it.

I know Pepper Potts has happened before in the books and in IM3. I even suspected it was coming when Morgan had the helmet and Tony said “She never wears anything I get her.” But for her to show up front and center and be a bad ass in the battle to end all battles? Different strokes for different folks, but it muddies my view of both Iron Man and War Machine. If the hero is the man (woman) inside the suit, which has been the WHOLE point of the Tony/Iron Man arc, then she would have been toast right away. On the other hand, you can argue the suit protects her and makes her battle-capable, which craps all over the entire Tony/Iron Man story arc.

So let me ask this ... my understanding is that the other writers and directors contributed “their” parts to Infinity War. I.e., Gunn wrote/contributed for the Guardians, Taika Waititi wrote/contributed for Thor and Hulk, etc. Did this happen for Endgame? If not, it could explain why some of the characters felt a little bit “off” to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.