Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
34.97%
29.37%
21.68%
5.59%
2.80%
3.50%
0.70%
0.70%
0%
0%
0.70%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Are people assuming that Marvel will still have control of Spider-Man? My guess is that Sony will try to take control of the character after the success in the MCU and its spinoffs.

I guess we will find out soon enough.
Old 05-02-19, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Avengers: Endgame (The Russo Brothers, 2019) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by fujishig
That makes sense (though how did he come into our reality to say goodbye?). Also opens up the possibility of alternate reality adventures and even a son or daughter from an alternate timeline, if they ever want to do that.
exactly! i'm willing to buy the time travel theory that changing things in the past doesn't mess up the timeline you left, it just creates new timelines (even though, as they pointed out, it goes against YEARS of movie time travel depictions! ). But that final scene there with Cap indicated he ambled over there normally after living his full life in that timeline. So it contradicts everything else.

But - yes, i'm willing to go along for the ride, but i definitely noticed that.
Old 05-02-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
I was a little surprised that Vision didnt make an appearance, but even before they announced the WandaVision Streaming show i suspected he would be back. They have stored his AI in Wakanda as a back up and sure that they will create a new vibranium body for him. Not sure if he will be waiting as long as a Black Panther sequel to make an appearance as i believe they are starting production on the streaming show by the end of the year, but the route into the TV show via a movie sequel would be more satisfying.

As for future tech now that Tony is gone, well sure Shuri is there, but i think this is even more reason why we will see faster development in a new Fantastic Four being brought into the fold. Reed Richards as the smartest man alive would easily fill that role, just replace the sass with awkwardness.

I loved the movie, and whilst its full of plot holes that you could drive a truck through, its a case of simply go along with it and enjoy the ride. Talking with people who had offered criticisms i have said to them "You can accept a team comprised of a Thunder God, a walking talking tree, a walking talking racoon and Harry Potter, but the time travel thing is the straw that breaks the camels back." Enjoy it for what it is and its a solid conclusion to the last 10 years. Its not as good as Infinity War, but it doesn't need to be. They are basically one big movie split into two. Looking forward to watching them back to back.
I could see an MCU Reed Richards as channeling qualities from both Stark and Rogers. The brilliant scientist who gets his fire lit by constant problem solving, while at the same time being an earnest, straight shooter/family man. Not quite as earnest and reverential as early Rogers, but a little more in that vein as opposed to constantly strutting around while being glib and snarky.

Finally went yesterday, The 12:30 PM show was in the largest auditorium in the complex, but less than thirty people in the seats.
I loved Infinity War, and for me they fully stuck the landing here.

I went back to catch up on this thread, but bailed after a few pages because I was getting depressed. Complaints that the first hour was too slow- seriously? Being annoyed by a twenty second grrrl power visual ("Lady Liberators!) homage?
I LOVED that this film took some time to explore the emotional ramifications of the previous films events. I loved the slow and contemplative parts. They are what gave gravitas to all the rambunctious CG spectacle to come.

Through the whole runtime, the one thought that kept coming to me was how edifying it is to experience work that has been crafted by people who, above all else, genuinely love telling stories. That's Feige on down , but mostly Feige who is clearly the showrunner here.

Really happy to be around to see something like this. We'll see what the next ten years brings, but I have a very hard time imagining a storm made up of this many disparate, but quality, elements, ever coming together this perfectly again.
Old 05-02-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD

Through the whole runtime, the one thought that kept coming to me was how edifying it is to experience work that has been crafted by people who, above all else, genuinely love telling stories. That's Feige on down , but mostly Feige who is clearly the showrunner here.

Really happy to be around to see something like this. We'll see what the next ten years brings, but I have a very hard time imagining a storm made up of this many disparate, but quality, elements, ever coming together this perfectly again.
Agreed about the storytelling elements, though another aspect that is not to be forgotten is just having the sheer budget to do all of this stuff. Not just the CGI but all the cameos. Nowadays in comic books that stakes are so high and crossovers so prolific that something like this on the comic book page wouldn't be that special, but it really does invoke the classic crossover of yesteryear where everyone and their mother gets involved with some meeting for the first time and it feels special.

I'll be interested to see if they can transition the Avengers/team-type movies to be more grounded, at least for a little while, while also transitioning characters. But even if it all just ended here, job well done. As a lifelong comic fan (although I was always a slightly bigger DC than Marvel fan), it was all I could ask for, really.
Old 05-02-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Are people assuming that Marvel will still have control of Spider-Man? My guess is that Sony will try to take control of the character after the success in the MCU and its spinoffs..
Marvel doesn't have "control" of Spider-Man, even for these movies. The deal seems somewhat similar to how the Hulk movies are, with Sony having rights to produce and distribute solo Spider-Man movies (see Spiderman: Into the Multiverse for a recent example), as well as spin-offs of Spider-man characters (see Venom). Marvel, meanwhile has the rights to use Spider-Man in "team-up" movies, similar to Hulk. Sony seems fine with having Marvel handle the storyline aspects though, especially considering the deal came about after it was clear from the two Amazing Spiderman films that Sony didn't know what to do with the character.
Old 05-02-19, 02:20 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
Marvel doesn't have "control" of Spider-Man, even for these movies. The deal seems somewhat similar to how the Hulk movies are, with Sony having rights to produce and distribute solo Spider-Man movies (see Spiderman: Into the Multiverse for a recent example), as well as spin-offs of Spider-man characters (see Venom). Marvel, meanwhile has the rights to use Spider-Man in "team-up" movies, similar to Hulk. Sony seems fine with having Marvel handle the storyline aspects though, especially considering the deal came about after it was clear from the two Amazing Spiderman films that Sony didn't know what to do with the character.
That's not exactly true. Marvel Studios hired everyone, crafted the story, etc. Sony is paying for it and collecting the profits. There is a reason Spidey wasn't in Venom... and that is because Marvel Studios wouldn't allow for it. Marvel is still a co-producer of the movies.

Universal doesn't have the rights to produce Hulk, only to distribute.
Old 05-02-19, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
That's not exactly true. Marvel Studios hired everyone, crafted the story, etc. Sony is paying for it and collecting the profits. There is a reason Spidey wasn't in Venom... and that is because Marvel Studios wouldn't allow for it. Marvel is still a co-producer of the movies.
Marvel may have some say on what the "MCU Spiderman" does and doesn't appear in, but Sony can clearly make their own Spiderman movies, as Into the Spiderverse showed. So Tom Holland in Venom? No. Some other version of Spiderman, probably.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider...Marvel_Studios
However, on February 9, 2015, Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios announced that Spider-Man would appear in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), with the character appearing in an MCU film and Sony releasing a Spider-Man film co-produced by Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige and Amy Pascal. Sony Pictures will continue to own, finance, distribute, and exercise final creative control over the Spider-Man films

Originally Posted by dex14
Universal doesn't have the rights to produce, only to distribute.
Well, Universal specifically has the "right of first refusal" to distribute solo Hulk films. They could opt not to distribute it, if they wanted.
Old 05-02-19, 02:33 PM

I’m aware of that. I’m referring to just the MCU.
Old 05-02-19, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Hulk?

Thor and Guardians are my two favorite series in this franchise right now (weirdly, I've always been lukewarm on Captain and growing tired of Stark). So I'm curious to see the other additions pan out.
Hulk's fine, but I don't care about him. He's cool to look at I suppose, but as a character he is uninteresting. Banner is smart; Hulk smashes shit. Great.

True, but it's not an insurmountable obstacle. I'm pretty sure that most fans of these films weren't hugely invested in the characters of Captain America, Thor, and Iron Man before the films came to be, but the spectacle and the performances of the actors brought them to life. So I think they can make these "B" characters stars, much like they did with Black Panther for some people.
To me the spectacle of the current MCU movies is a large part of the problem. These most recent movies feel more like 'Generic Sci-Fi Action Movie', bloated with questionable CG (Black Panther) and unimpressive prosthetics and design (Captain Marvel).
Old 05-02-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Nebula was on the ship. The ship's computer was "Searching". No way they start with Gamora on the ship, but the search will likely be the plot going forward. The fact that you never see what happens to her after Stark's snap is frustrating.
Oh, so it was Gamora they were searching for? That's what I was asking, I thought maybe she was still with them, as they didn't show her leaving, and they were just searching for a way to get back to somewhere specific, and that it wasn't about Gamora - the movie didn't make that clear.

Old 05-02-19, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by slop101
Oh, so it was Gamora they were searching for? That's what I was asking, I thought maybe she was still with them, as they didn't show her leaving, and they were just searching for a way to get back to somewhere specific, and that it wasn't about Gamora - the movie didn't make that clear.
It had a picture of her and said "SEARCHING..." It was quick.

Last edited by dex14; 05-02-19 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-02-19, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Came back from a 2nd showing. Loved it even more. Didn't notice that "Hey Pepper" or "Hi Pepper" were actually the last words. And some truly touching acting from Favreau when he first hears "Cheeseburger".
Old 05-02-19, 05:24 PM

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

The more I think about it I agree that Hulk could have been used better. Even before IW came out, Fiege was saying that Hulk had a arc planned that we would see play out as a trilogy of sorts with Ragnarok > IW > Endgame. And yeah, we did sort of get that, but we went from a Hulk that refused to come out to a fully integrated Professor Hulk with only a bit of exposition to fill in the gaps.
And I realize that the 5 year time jump probably limited what they could do with that plot, but it would still have been nice to see more of that transition.
Old 05-02-19, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I fully expected Hulk to bust out of the Hulkbuster armor at some point in one of the last two movies. Sucks that didn't happen, would have been a cool moment.
Old 05-02-19, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
Who is going to take over providing tech for people like Spiderman now that Tony is gone? I know there are some smart people in the groups, but Tony's inventions are incredibly sophisticated.
Didn’t you see the post-credit scene of Tony, via recorded projection, telling the Avengers “In the event of my untimely death, all tech support will be farmed out to the Philippines”?
Old 05-02-19, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
I fully expected Hulk to bust out of the Hulkbuster armor at some point in one of the last two movies. Sucks that didn't happen, would have been a cool moment.

They even made a toy of it...
Old 05-02-19, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I could see an MCU Reed Richards as channeling qualities from both Stark and Rogers. The brilliant scientist who gets his fire lit by constant problem solving, while at the same time being an earnest, straight shooter/family man. Not quite as earnest and reverential as early Rogers, but a little more in that vein as opposed to constantly strutting around while being glib and snarky.

Finally went yesterday, The 12:30 PM show was in the largest auditorium in the complex, but less than thirty people in the seats.
I loved Infinity War, and for me they fully stuck the landing here.

I went back to catch up on this thread, but bailed after a few pages because I was getting depressed. Complaints that the first hour was too slow- seriously? Being annoyed by a twenty second grrrl power visual ("Lady Liberators!) homage?
I LOVED that this film took some time to explore the emotional ramifications of the previous films events. I loved the slow and contemplative parts. They are what gave gravitas to all the rambunctious CG spectacle to come.

In defense of this thread I don't think I'm speaking out of line to say that we're just discussing nitpicky elements of the movie. The general feeling is one of awe and adoration. Just look at the poll! Totally agree with you about the MCU and how it feels like it's crafted with love. You can tell that everyone involved is really vested in the project and it really shows in the general excellent quality of the films. Even though there might be a couple of misssteps it's not because of lack of trying. And they really are more missteps then outright bombs. It's clear to me that everyone in the production of these movies really cares and that keep the quality high. That's also why you can have people like Robert Redford and Michelle Pfeiffier coming back just for a cameo.
Old 05-02-19, 11:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
I think this was the thing that Joss Whedon was holding back from Age of Ultron but never got to use it. He even said that he knew it would be a great bit but to hold it for a future movie.
Old 05-03-19, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts

Maybe some Marvel expert can help me with this question:
I had another logic problem that I didn't understand watching the movie yesterday for a second time : Nebula, Rhodes, Nat and Clint leave together with the Benatar and travel to space. Fine so far. Nebula and Rhodes go to Morag to get the Power Stone and before they leave, Nebula explains that she put the coordinates in the ship so it would fly itself to Vormir. Then Natalie and Clint, who have one brief space trip between them, fly to Vormir to collect the Soul Stone.
== Why not have Nebula fly and drop Nat and Clint off on Vormir, then continue on and fly themselves to Morag? It's no more total travel, and that way there's somebody on board at all time who can actually fly a space ship (obviating that weird autopilot explanation she gives). Whatever the logic was, it had nothing to do with how they get back as they all warped back separately -- which of course raises the question of why the two groups had to travel together in the first place. It was a very minor thing, but it just seemed weird and baffling to me.
Old 05-03-19, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tanman
Spoiler:
I kind of forgot about that but I thought he was coming back for the last season?
SHIELD spoilers

Spoiler:
Gregg is returning for season 6 (they already announced season 7 as well, but it hasn't been confirmed if he'll be in that on too), but he'll be playing the new antagonist. The trailer dropped today and it seemed like he might be a twisted Coulson from an apocalyptic timeline, but we don't know for sure yet. In any case, "our" Coulson appears to be dead again.
Old 05-03-19, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ultimaton
SHIELD spoilers

Spoiler:
Gregg is returning for season 6 (they already announced season 7 as well, but it hasn't been confirmed if he'll be in that on too), but he'll be playing the new antagonist. The trailer dropped today and it seemed like he might be a twisted Coulson from an apocalyptic timeline, but we don't know for sure yet. In any case, "our" Coulson appears to be dead again.
That does not make me happy.
Old 05-03-19, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Decker
Maybe some Marvel expert can help me with this question:
I had another logic problem that I didn't understand watching the movie yesterday for a second time : Nebula, Rhodes, Nat and Clint leave together with the Benatar and travel to space. Fine so far. Nebula and Rhodes go to Morag to get the Power Stone and before they leave, Nebula explains that she put the coordinates in the ship so it would fly itself to Vormir. Then Natalie and Clint, who have one brief space trip between them, fly to Vormir to collect the Soul Stone.
== Why not have Nebula fly and drop Nat and Clint off on Vormir, then continue on and fly themselves to Morag? It's no more total travel, and that way there's somebody on board at all time who can actually fly a space ship (obviating that weird autopilot explanation she gives). Whatever the logic was, it had nothing to do with how they get back as they all warped back separately -- which of course raises the question of why the two groups had to travel together in the first place. It was a very minor thing, but it just seemed weird and baffling to me.
I don't think there's a satisfactory explanation to it. They really just needed it for the plot. So Nat and Clint can have a moment in the quinnjet by themselves and that way they end up alone. Otherwise the whole thing with the sacrifice would be weird if it was the four of them.
Old 05-03-19, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

They even made a toy of it...
Well WTF?!
Old 05-03-19, 09:39 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Not sure if this has been discussed, but my theory about certain characters not being able to be brought back, were ones that were pre-snap, and thus trying would be too many timeline mishaps or complications. I’m not sure if that’s 100% accurate, or if that’s really significant, but it seems like that’s the case.
Old 05-03-19, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts

My guess is they realized they had enough "cool" moments for this film and are saving the armor for another film....again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.