Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Elvis (2022, D: Baz Luhrmann) S: Austin Butler, Tom Hanks

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Elvis (2022, D: Baz Luhrmann) S: Austin Butler, Tom Hanks

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-22, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Elvis (2022, D: Baz Luhrmann) S: Austin Butler, Tom Hanks

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That Hanks video is funny, because Hanks assumes the scrawny kid with the glasses and the cell phone was responsible and it was the beefy guy with professional camera equipment. That poor kid will probably spend the rest of his life thinking Tom Hanks hates him.
He might be able to start a great podcast based on that.
The following users liked this post:
Shannon Nutt (06-19-22)
Old 06-18-22, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Podcast: When Tom Hanks thought I Pushed his wife he was “Dead Wrong”.

This weirdo paparazzo embarks upon a quest to solve a very stupid mystery that has haunted him for two days: why Tom Hanks thinks he pushed his wife when all along it was actually someone else who pushed him into Mrs Hanks. Join us as this oddball tries to get to the bottom of this mystery.
The following 2 users liked this post by whotony:
majorjoe23 (06-18-22), Shannon Nutt (06-19-22)
Old 06-18-22, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

Interview with Tom Hanks in The New York Times Sunday Magazine:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...8V8E#tooltip-4

The interviewer's not the best, but the responses are great.

Here's an exchange I especially like:
Did you read the biography of Mike Nichols that came out last year?
No, why do you ask?
There’s an anecdote in there about “Charlie Wilson’s War” that I wanted to ask you about. Apparently you and Aaron Sorkin didn’t want to show Charlie Wilson using cocaine because you thought it made the character unsympathetic. It made me wonder about what you believe audiences do or don’t want to see Tom Hanks doing up there onscreen.
Let me tell you a story. The original “King Kong.” They’re on Skull Island. They’re going to try to save Fay Wray. They’re on a log across a ravine. King Kong picks up the log and knocks a bunch of guys off and they fall down into the ravine and break some of these viny things across the bottom. That’s all you see in the movie. In the first cut, though, those viny things were spider webs and out of a cave crawled the biggest spider you ever saw. What the filmmakers discovered was that after seeing those big spiders, the audience was not afraid of King Kong. So they cut it.

There is that thing that can happen in a movie where, if you show the giant spider, it might blow your real story out of the water. But it was never in the script to show Charlie Wilson snorting coke. I could walk you through different disagreements I had: On “Saving Private Ryan,” Steven Spielberg said, “I don’t think I want to see John Miller fire his gun and kill Germans.” I told him: “I’m sorry, Steven. You’re not going to get me all the way over here and turn me into some other guy just because you don’t want Tom Hanks to kill soldiers.” We had this same moment in “Forrest Gump.” There’s the scene with the ambush in Vietnam, and Bob Zemeckis originally wanted Forrest to be confused and run away. I said, “Bob, why am I playing a soldier who is really good at his basic training without then showing me slapping in my clip and firing a set of rounds?” Anyway, with Charlie Wilson, not snorting coke was not spiders in “King Kong.” I would have done it. I didn’t care. Those kinds of choices are in every single movie.
Old 06-20-22, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Elvis is 2 hours and 40 minutes.

Also apparently a 4 hour cut exists.

I’m tentatively planning to see it Friday. But I know this is not going to be a big box office draw.
Old 06-24-22, 06:40 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Austin Butler was amazing. This should definitely get an editing Oscar nom (but nothing is going to top Everything Everywhere...in that dept).

For a close to 3-hour run time, the pace is really good. Baz's direction is like a drug-induced, euphoric, dream. I'm not a huge Elvis fan or anything (more of a Luhrmann fan), but I was entertained. I doubt hardcore Elvis fans will like it.
DJariya (06-24-22)
Old 06-24-22, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Austin Butler was amazing. This should definitely get an editing Oscar nom (but nothing is going to top Everything Everywhere...in that dept).

For a close to 3-hour run time, the pace is really good. Baz's direction is like a drug-induced, euphoric, dream. I'm not a huge Elvis fan or anything (more of a Luhrmann fan), but I was entertained. I doubt hardcore Elvis fans will like it.
Butler can't be amazing. He doesn't look exactly like Elvis. Haven't you read the thread?
Old 06-24-22, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk God

I just got back from a 5pm Dolby showing. I thought it was fantastic. Austin Butler was absolutely electrifying as Elvis. Editing and pacing was excellent. It did not feel like a 159 minute movie. Although I was so ready to run to the restroom once I sensed the end was near.

I found every minute of it riveting. I'm not some Elvis historian or some big fan. I would be lying if I said that. His career was way before my time. He died when I was 4. But, I thought Butler did an excellent job playing him. The pre-release complaints that he doesn't look the part is total nonsense. You don't have to look like the real life character spot on to play them. It's about the performance and he was awesome.

Hanks playing Col. Parker to me came across in parts as a little over the top and hammy, but it was an okay job by him for a supporting role. I think he may come across as the weak point for some.

The set designs, costumes were also excellent. It's a lock to get some Academy award nominations. Once the movie ended my auditorium gave it a huge applause.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-25-22 at 03:05 AM.
Old 06-25-22, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2022/06/box-off...ne-1235052035/

Looks like this is projected to make around $31.5M for the weekend. I would say that's pretty good for this kind of movie. It's really long and it's an older skewing movie.
Old 06-25-22, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

^ Skewed older indeed. If Top Gun:Maverick brought out the older crowd, this brought out the damn geriatrics!

I thought this was very good. Austin Butler is a lock for an Oscar nomination. He’s was fantastic. The pacing an editing were also very good. The whole movie felt so energetic.

I’m an Elvis fan and thought they touched on most of the big events in Elvis’s career. I would have liked for them to go a little more into some of the lesser known events but maybe that’s it the 4 hour cut.
DJariya (06-25-22)
Old 06-26-22, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts
Re: Madame Web (2023, D: Clarkson) S: Dakota Johnson

Not really a fan of Elvis but I recognize that he was extremely influential and a rock icon. So that being said I’m kind of interested in seeing the film because it looks to be well made. Maybe eventually.
Old 06-26-22, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

Saw it yesterday and it was amazing! I never thought the Presley family would sign off on a big budget film that showed all sides of Elvis, the good, bad and ugly parts of his life. Austin Bulter has to be a lock for a best actor nomination. He had Elvis' moves and mannerisms down pat. The soundtrack does a great job of mixing in classics Elvis songs with today's artist.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sonny Corinthos:
DJariya (06-26-22), Shannon Nutt (06-27-22)
Old 06-27-22, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

This topped Top Gun Maverick as the best movie I've seen this year. I have never been much of a Baz fan (I didn't even like Moulin Rouge), but wow, this was electrifying from beginning to end. A+
Old 06-27-22, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,263 Likes on 841 Posts

Saw this today. My sis-in-law called it "a tour de force". I called it "an epileptic's worse nightmare".

I give it ***/***** largely because of Butler.
Old 06-27-22, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Moulin Rouge is an epileptic’s worst nightmare. This is probably Lurhmann’s most toned down movie to date.

I’m not a big fan of Lurhmann’s usual bombastic style but thought he did a good job with this movie to not lose himself in the visual flare like he does with his other movies.
Old 06-27-22, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
This is probably Lurhmann’s most toned down movie to date.
That would be Australia.
GoldenJCJ (06-27-22)
Old 06-27-22, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
That would be Australia.
I’ll buy that. I forgot about Australia. I was thinking Moulin Rouge, The Great Gatsby, and Romeo + Juliet. Three movies that are migraine inducing.

Old 06-27-22, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oddly enough, I read a review which said that Elvis is not "Baz" enough, So perhaps he shoudn't do toned down at all. I guess what I'm trying to say is that despite the frenzy, Moulin Rouge had stylistic consistency. In Elvis, the stylistic flurries seem to come out of a blender.
Old 06-27-22, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris
Oddly enough, I read a review which said that Elvis is not "Baz" enough, So perhaps he shoudn't do toned down at all. I guess what I'm trying to say is that despite the frenzy, Moulin Rouge had stylistic consistency. In Elvis, the stylistic flurries seem to come out of a blender.
I think for people who are Baz Lurhmann fans, would prefer his wildly glittery movies. As someone who isn’t a fan of Lurhmann’s style, I’d rank this as #1 and Australia as #2 for my favorite Lurhmann movies.
Old 06-27-22, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I think for people who are Baz Lurhmann fans, would prefer his wildly glittery movies. As someone who isn’t a fan of Lurhmann’s style, I’d rank this as #1 and Australia as #2 for my favorite Lurhmann movies.
Makes sense because I loved Moulin Rouge but didn't care for Australia art all.
GoldenJCJ (06-27-22)
Old 06-27-22, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Liked this a lot more than I thought I would. Yes, it's hyperactive as hell and falls for a lot of the usual biopic cliches, but I was greatly entertained for most of it, and it did a good job of making Elvis still feel relevant even if it stretched the truth a lot. Austin Butler was bloody amazing - I need to see it again, but some of the live scenes his resemblance to Elvis was uncanny. And I actually liked Hanks - you've got to play a role like this kind of campy, Mephistophelean, and he does that well. Everyone who wasn't Elvis or the Colonel got rather shafted character-wise but that's the way it goes in biopics, I guess. Anyway, glad to see it's going fairly well, too, I like my MCU movies too but a little variety is welcome.
Old 06-28-22, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Something has been bugging me. When Elvis tried to fire Parker and he hit them with an 8m bill that was allegedly owed to him, why was the answer "we're broke, we're screwed" and not "see you in court!" since at that point Parker had been exposed as a fraud operating under a fake name? Was the elvis camp really that... inept? I mean his dad was useless but there was nobody else they at least could have gone to for advice? Like the dudes he made the Christmas special with?
Old 06-28-22, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

It's sad no one was there for Elvis when the Col. pulled this crap after Elvis fired him. I always read that Elvis hated the business side of things when it came to his career. That's why he always went along with whatever type of nonsense Parker came up with. I doubt his dad had much of an education, so he took Parker at his word. If only Elvis would have stood up to Parker the way he did about the 68 special.

I would bet this story would have been totally different. Parker didn't have a leg to stand on and he knew it. That's why he came up with threats to scare Elvis and his father to take him back. You are right, Elvis could have taken him to court and exposed the Col as the fraud he really was all those years ago. But by then, he was so mixed up with prescription pills, he wasn't thinking clearly when it came to his personal life or career.
eXcentris (06-28-22)
Old 06-29-22, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Well, the smart thing that Baz does here is makes Col. Parker the narrator of the film. By having the classic "unreliable narrator," it allows him to condense things, change things here and there, etc. for purposes of a more streamlined/entertaining film. This is not the "truth" but the "truth as Parker remembers/sees it."
Old 06-29-22, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Well, the smart thing that Baz does here is makes Col. Parker the narrator of the film. By having the classic "unreliable narrator," it allows him to condense things, change things here and there, etc. for purposes of a more streamlined/entertaining film. This is not the "truth" but the "truth as Parker remembers/sees it."
Especially since he's dying, high off meds, while telling the story.
Old 06-29-22, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A critic argued that making Col. Parker the narrator is severely limiting, since you learn very little about Elvis, the person. he said something like: "It's like someone filmed Elvis's Wiki page" This allows for a sanitized version that's more likely to pass Elvis's family/estate scrutiny. It's basically a film about Elvis the showman, not the person.

Edited: found it, I believe his point is valid

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/th...y-baz-luhrmann

Last edited by eXcentris; 06-29-22 at 10:41 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.