Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Long Shot (2019, D: Levine) S: Charlize Theron, Seth Rogen

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Long Shot (2019, D: Levine) S: Charlize Theron, Seth Rogen

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-19, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 502 Likes on 345 Posts
Re: Long Shot (2019, D: Levine) S: Charlize Theron, Seth Rogen

I liked it so-so, but it certainly doesn't rise to the top tier of rom-coms for me. Charlize Theron is amazing though.
Old 05-18-19, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Saw this the other night. Definitely had some good laughs. I never got to the point where I could believe them as a couple. She is other-worldly gorgeous. He's a frog. He spends a lot of time being an asshole. At the end there was the nice scene with O'Shea Jackson about him being more understanding. I can see him as the quick fling but not as the boyfriend. I'll rent this when it comes out to show my wife but wouldn't bother owning it.
Old 05-18-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 895 Likes on 406 Posts

The wife and I saw this one last night. We both really liked it a lot. It was in one of those small 4 row Regal theaters and pretty much the top 2 rows, and most of the bottom were filled.
Lot of LOL moments from the whole audience.
Spoiler:
Although, it seemed like I was the only one that knew what was "coming" when he got the tissues out. I was the only one laughing right away. But didn't know the shot was going to go there!
Charlize is beautiful. Even in HD, she has great complexion.
I had no idea that the old guy was Andy Serkis.
Old 07-27-19, 05:49 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Quite an enjoyable romantic romp

Didn't find it LOL funny, but it was pleasant and made you smile in places

Can see why it hasn't made much money. Most people would advise others to 'wait and watch when it's on bluray/streaming'
Old 07-29-19, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,159 Likes on 835 Posts

Caught this yesterday with my wife. We both loved it. Could have had maybe 20min shaved off but otherwise it was fun all around. Loved the scene with him emptying his pockets when he first went to meet her.
Old 08-20-19, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,254 Posts

I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. In a lot of ways it played like a typical rom com but it deviated enough from the formula that I really liked it. For example,
Spoiler:
during the gala scene about halfway through the film I expected Seth’s Rogan’s character to become jealous and make an embarrassing scene. He didn’t and the end of that scene where he and Charlize dance together in private ended up being the sweetest scene in the movie.
I think any other rom com would have made Rogan’s character make a fool of himself, making her mad, and spending the rest of the movie with him trying to make it up to her.
Old 08-20-19, 08:58 AM

Received 5,053 Likes on 3,415 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. In a lot of ways it played like a typical rom com but it deviated enough from the formula that I really liked it. For example,
Spoiler:
during the gala scene about halfway through the film I expected Seth’s Rogan’s character to become jealous and make an embarrassing scene. He didn’t and the end of that scene where he and Charlize dance together in private ended up being the sweetest scene in the movie.
I think any other rom com would have made Rogan’s character make a fool of himself, making her mad, and spending the rest of the movie with him trying to make it up to her.
I thought the same thing about your "spoiler". That is how a traditional romcom would play out and I remember rolling my eyes like oh...that's where we're going now... but they didn't do it and I found it extremely refreshing.
Old 09-01-19, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 842 Likes on 687 Posts

It had some funny moments but was kind of boring.

Maybe Rogen is approaching Will Ferrell status and is getting stale and how many jokes can you do about smoking joints.
Old 09-01-19, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,132 Likes on 4,840 Posts

I thought it was funny and charming. But it BOMBED big-time. $30M domestically, Less than Crawl. Less than Little. Less than The Hustle, for God's sake. Less than something called Dragon Ball Super : Broly.
Coming out the week after Endgame wasn't a smart idea. But I think it's indicative of more than that. Maybe people don't find politics funny any more. Also, I think big studio comedies are a dying breed. When was the last major motion picture non-sequel, non-action, straight-up comedy that was a huge hit? Maybe they are still out there like they were 10 years ago, but I am not sure. With TVs getting so big and so good, and the turn-around time being so fast, I just don't think most people are as excited to go see a big budget studio comedy the way they are to see an action or animated film in a theater.
Old 09-01-19, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,132 Likes on 4,840 Posts

Answering my own question : Girl's Trip, 2017 made $115 M domestic. Good enough for #24 that year

The biggest straight-up comedy in 2018 was Game Night which made $69M, good enough for #41 (I am not counting Crazy Rich Asians as a straight-up comedy, though I guess you could argue the other side).
2016 saw Bad Moms at #25 with $113M. Not bad.
2015? Wow, it's Daddy's Home which made a whopping $150M, good enough for #22
This year the title currently sits with Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral which has made $73M, good enough for #23 so far (with lots of the year left), but I wouldn't be surprised to see the surprise hit Good Boys pass it, it's currently at $58.5M going into its third weekend.
Old 09-02-19, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They only make 4 comedies a year and if they put out more titles the odds of a comedy hit would increase but what do you expect from Hollywood when all they care about is sequels and remakes or reboots of movies that came out in 2002 and 2004.
Old 09-02-19, 06:35 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Straight up comedies struggle, but it’s also telling that some of the biggest names in comedy are making Netflix deals and skip theatrical entirely like Sandler. The other problem is most comedies just haven’t been that funny lately, which doesn’t help stuff like Long Shot (it wasn’t marketed that well).
Old 09-02-19, 08:25 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,103 Likes on 919 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Straight up comedies struggle, but it’s also telling that some of the biggest names in comedy are making Netflix deals and skip theatrical entirely like Sandler. The other problem is most comedies just haven’t been that funny lately, which doesn’t help stuff like Long Shot (it wasn’t marketed that well).
I don’t even like watching comedies in theaters bc so many just aren’t funny to me. I wait till video on just about all. And only some of those turn out to be gems. Last comedy I enjoyed and it’s more rom-com was Crazy Rich Asians and that was streaming of course. I just don’t wanna waste my money on those. I was very giddy during Ready or Not and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, but not for straight out comical reasons. Ready or Not certainly more actual comedy, but QT’s writing and violence and characters really stir me...
Old 09-02-19, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,340 Likes on 1,028 Posts

I Redboxed this the other day and thought it was hilarious. It's one of the best comedies of the year along with Booksmart.
Old 09-04-19, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had no idea Andy Serkis played Parker Wembley until I saw the bonus features on the Blu-ray

The guy did look kind of odd though familiar but it was him with a ton of makeup and a wig.

Old 09-06-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

I am shocked this wasn't horrible. Rogen wasn't nearly as annoying as he usually is.