Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018, D: Heller) S: Melissa McCarthy, Richard E. Grant

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018, D: Heller) S: Melissa McCarthy, Richard E. Grant

Old 10-16-18, 10:02 AM

Melissa McCarthy stars in the adaptation of the memoir CAN YOU EVER FORGIVE ME?, the true story of best-selling celebrity biographer (and friend to cats) Lee Israel (Melissa McCarthy) who made her living in the 1970ís and 80ís profiling the likes of Katharine Hepburn, Tallulah Bankhead, Estee Lauder and journalist Dorothy Kilgallen. When Lee is no longer able to get published because she has fallen out of step with current tastes, she turns her art form to deception, abetted by her loyal friend Jack (Richard E. Grant).

Directed by: Marielle Heller
Cast: Melissa McCarthy, Richard E. Grant
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4595882

Opens limited this week. Currently 100% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/can...ver_forgive_me
Old 10-26-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018, D: Heller) S: Melissa McCarthy, Richard E. Grant

Saw the trailer for it today in front of Old Man with a Gun. Looks good and opens today in wider release. Will use my Sinemia for it and see it tomorrow.
Old 10-27-18, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Can You Ever Forgive Me? (2018, D: Heller) S: Melissa McCarthy, Richard E. Grant

Wow, just saw this and it was fantastic. I can only take MM in small doses, mainly when she's in her R-rated best, and this was rated R. Richard E. Grant was also awesome.

Having just seen Old Man & the Gun, there similar themes that cross over. I believe this is playing in limited release, so if it's near you then I highly recommend it.
Old 03-08-19, 12:49 PM

Caught this on a plane recently. I thought it was pretty good. This isn't your typical McCarthy crap that she is getting pigeonholed into.

This movie does have some interesting history to it.

Old 03-10-19, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw this last night.

Fantastic performances from both Melissa McCarthy & Richard E. Grant.
Old 03-10-19, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Caught this on a plane recently. I thought it was pretty good. This isn't your typical McCarthy crap that she is getting pigeonholed into.

This movie does have some interesting history to it.

That was impressive, she had a few outs there and actually told the truth The director at that time (who adapted the screenplay) also left the movie shortly there after.
Old 03-10-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wonder if Ms. McCarthy didn't like her limelight being shadowed.
Old 03-11-19, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow A big dropoff from Moore to McCarthy
Old 03-11-19, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
Wow A big dropoff from Moore to McCarthy
So you've seen the movie. How can you know how well Moore would've done? Melissa got an Oscar nom so must've not sucked.
Old 03-12-19, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Moore doesn't strike me as a proper fit for the material.
Old 09-06-19, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This premiered on HBO last weekend

I thought it was a good movie and I can see how it got some Oscar nominations.

I admit McCarthy was good in this and you probably would have never known it was her if you knew nothing about the cast in the movie.

Spoiler:
A woman who not only forges documents but also does not clean up the cat shit in her apartment.