Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Long Shot (2019, D: Levine) S: Charlize Theron, Seth Rogen

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 02-15-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like a variation on Knocked Up, but with Rogen pursuing an even higher class chick this time.

Fred Flarsky (Rogen), an unemployed journalist battered by his own misfortune, endeavors to pursue Charlotte Field (Theron), his childhood crush and babysitter who now happens to be one of the most powerful and unattainable women on the planet.

Old 03-14-19, 07:37 AM

re: Long Shot (2019, D: Levine) S: Charlize Theron, Seth Rogen

Old 03-14-19, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

re: Long Shot (2019, D: Levine) S: Charlize Theron, Seth Rogen

I saw the trailer for this before Five Feet Apart last night. Looks amusing. Charlize looks stunning. I'll probably see it this summer.
Old 04-05-19, 08:30 AM

Re: Long Shot (2019, D: Levine) S: Charlize Theron, Seth Rogen

If you ever see Charlize in person, make your move. She may just go along with it because you had the balls to try!

Charlize Theron is looking to date but is only interested in those brave enough to ask.

The 43-year-old actress spoke about her dating life to Entertainment Tonight while at CinemaCon in Las Vegas on Thursday. Theron, who was promoting her upcoming film Long Shot, admitted finding a date wasn’t as easy as it looked.

“I’ve been single for 10 years, it’s not a long shot,” Theron said. “Somebody just needs to grow a pair and step up.”

She added, “I’m shockingly available.”

Her Long Shot costar Seth Rogen was on hand to agree, saying, “She’s out there!”
Theron replied, “I’ve made it very clear.”

It has actually been less than 10 years since the star was single and ready to mingle. The Oscar-winner’s last serious relationship was with Sean Penn. The two began dating in 2013 and announced their engagement a year later. They split in June 2015.

The actress had a long-term relationship with actor Stuart Townsend after meeting him on the set of their 2002 film Trapped. They broke up in 2010.

Rumors swirled earlier this year that Theron was dating Brad Pitt after they shot an ad for watch company Breitling along with Adam Driver.

A source told PEOPLE the two were never romantically involved, saying, “They have not been out together recently, and were never dating.”

“Reports of them bring involved romantically are false,” the insider added.

While Theron may not be dating right now, she definitely keeps busy as a mom to her two young children, Jackson, 7, and August, 3 — as well as her increasingly busy acting career.

The actress next stars as a presidential candidate looking for love in Long Shot opposite Rogen, who plays the man she used to babysit and now wants to hire as her speechwriter.
https://people.com/movies/charlize-t...le-ready-date/
Old 04-06-19, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
If you ever see Charlize in person, make your move. She may just go along with it because you had the balls to try!
https://people.com/movies/charlize-t...le-ready-date/
That kind of bullshit talk, of course, is called marketing a movie in an attempt to sell more tickets.

Old 04-24-19, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just got a free ticket to see a 1 week early screening of this tonight at my local Harkins theater. They actually advertised this screening on Facebook. Free is free, so I'll be there tonight.
Old 04-25-19, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just got back from seeing it. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Very enjoyable political satire/romantic comedy. Charlize and Seth surprisingly had really good chemistry. A sort of beauty and the beast kind of vibe. And Charlize Theron is just stunningly beautiful and sexy in this.

It's about 2 hours, but moved quite briskly. Lots of hilarious moments and a lot of charm. And some vulgar humor too. If you enjoy this genre, it will leave you with a smile on your face.
Old 04-26-19, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Lots of hilarious moments and a lot of charm. And some vulgar humor too. If you enjoy this genre, it will leave you with a smile on your face.
Also got to see an advanced screening and agree with your assessment. This is a return to form for the raunchy comedy and Rogen and Theron work very well together. Rogen's goofball act hasn't worn on me yet (mind you, it's been a while since I've watched one of his movies) and Theron really sells her career woman character who's trying to better the world. (Though I have to admit, her hostage negotiation scene didn't click and took me out of the movie.)

If anyone is put off by political comedy, just keep in mind that this is a pretty apolitical movie, especially for one that takes place in the world of politics. It's so apolitical, in fact, that I can't even remember which party Theron and the President were members of in the film.

Now, I can't guarantee that no one will be offended by whatever politics there are in this movie because--let's be real here--when it comes to taking offence at anything, YMMV. All I can say is that I certainly didn't see anything that was politically inflammatory.

Overall, thumbs up. This is a nice light rom-com for anybody who wants an alternative to the billion-dollar blockbusters coming our way.
Old 05-01-19, 06:31 PM

Opens this weekend. Currently 88% on RT: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/long_shot_2019

I will see it tomorrow. I really hate this name though and wish they stuck with Flarsky.
Old 05-02-19, 08:50 PM

I dug it. Charlize is just fucking gorgeous.

I laughed hard at the Blossom and Captain Crunch’s Tinder date jokes.

Oh... and Andy Serkis. WTF
Old 05-02-19, 09:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

I thought this looked good from trailer before Us. They seem to have good, breezy chemistry...
Old 05-03-19, 12:48 AM

Saw it tonight. Had a great time. A lot of laughs. Charlize Theron and Seth Rogan, like others have said, have great chemistry. I hope this makes some money, it deserves to be seen.
Old 05-03-19, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I loved the Roxette scene. Very charming moment.

Old 05-03-19, 08:41 AM

Old 05-03-19, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
Saw it tonight. Had a great time. A lot of laughs. Charlize Theron and Seth Rogan, like others have said, have great chemistry. I hope this makes some money, it deserves to be seen.
Totally. And watching them together on this press tour has been great too.
Old 05-06-19, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is how you do a romantic comedy! Terrific film!
Old 05-06-19, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even faking it Charlize sounds awesome. She is probably the bomb in bed.
Old 05-06-19, 07:26 AM

It's a shame they released this a week after Endgame. This deserved a better box office return.
Old 05-06-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah disappointing box office for week 1, but not really surprised because of the competition. It's going to sink even more in the next 2 weeks with Pikachu and John Wick 3. I can't see this making anymore than $30M tops, which would be a money loser. It's a really good movie, but I guess it's just not on most people's radars. Granted I saw a free preview screening for this 2 weeks ago. They probably should have released this around Valentine's Day. It would have gotten more attention then.

Lionsgate is having a bad Spring so far with the massive losses from Hellboy and probably disappointing sales for this one. They better hope that John Wick can save them.
Old 05-06-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Before seeing the trailers, I thought this was gonna be another Marvel comic book movie...

Spoiler:

Old 05-07-19, 12:18 AM

Jist got back. I saw this on a whim tonight and absolutely loved it. The only things I knew about it is what you all posted here. I didn't even watch the trailer. I had a night to kill, an AMC A-List membership, and a mood to laugh.

This was a great romantic comedy. Funny, sexy, surprising, satisfying, and upping the usual PG-13 fare with some well-earned and story-relevant R-rated delight. Good soundtrack, getting that on Amazon Unlimited. Yeah, sure, see Endgame again, but give this movie some cash, it's really great!

I want to see it again!
Old 05-07-19, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

is the public getting tired of Seth Rogen?

This movie bombed at the box office.

I will see it anyways when it gets released on Blu-ray.
Old 05-07-19, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca View Post
is the public getting tired of Seth Rogen?

This movie bombed at the box office.

I will see it anyways when it gets released on Blu-ray.
I donít think so.

He hasnít had a lead role in a major studio release in over 3 years. Heís been mostly directing, writing and producing.

This Movie is at 83% on Rotten Tomatoes, so the majority of reviewers like it. It got pummeled by being scheduled so close to the biggest and most anticipated sequel of the last year.
Old 05-08-19, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I can’t say I have followed this as the first trailer did not capture me. It looked like typical Seth Rogen fair. To JeffTheAlpaca’s point, maybe the general public hasn’t grown tired of his schtick, but I did a long time ago. Then again, I don’t tolerate one-note comedians very well.

But from what you guys are saying, I may check it out with my wife. It’s not often we can find something to watch together.

Reading the thread I have to agree with DJariya, sounds like this should have been a Valentine’s release rather than trying to counter-program it against the start of summer blockbuster season. What were they thinking?
Old 05-16-19, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, had some problems with it but who cares because the movie will win you over. Pretty much what everyone else has said about it. Glad a gave it some box office love.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.