Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-23, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,142 Likes on 2,128 Posts
Re: Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

I didn't have a problem with Lennon appearing in Yesterday. It seems like having the lead character look up the four Beatles, and John in particular, would be a natural thing for him to do.

I think the point they were making with Lennon living a quiet, normal life in obscurity is that if the stars hadn't aligned in the way that they did, the Beatles wouldn't have happened, and John Lennon would have just been a normal guy like everyone else.

Though the premise of the movie sort of undermines this idea where the protagonist uses the Beatles catalog to become famous in his own right simply off the strength of the songwriting. The Beatles were more than just songs -- they were personalities, they had their own performance style, they were in the right place at the right time, they found the right management and promotion to put them where they got. Just some guy rattling off these songs on an acoustic guitar in the early twentieth century isn't going to have the same impact. And I would also wager that popular culture -- especially the music part of it -- without the Beatles would also be vastly different. More than just not having Oasis.
Old 01-22-23, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,263 Likes on 900 Posts
Re: Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I didn't have a problem with Lennon appearing in Yesterday. It seems like having the lead character look up the four Beatles, and John in particular, would be a natural thing for him to do.

I think the point they were making with Lennon living a quiet, normal life in obscurity is that if the stars hadn't aligned in the way that they did, the Beatles wouldn't have happened, and John Lennon would have just been a normal guy like everyone else.

Though the premise of the movie sort of undermines this idea where the protagonist uses the Beatles catalog to become famous in his own right simply off the strength of the songwriting. The Beatles were more than just songs -- they were personalities, they had their own performance style, they were in the right place at the right time, they found the right management and promotion to put them where they got. Just some guy rattling off these songs on an acoustic guitar in the early twentieth century isn't going to have the same impact. And I would also wager that popular culture -- especially the music part of it -- without the Beatles would also be vastly different. More than just not having Oasis.
This was a problem I had with the film, as well. The idea that someone just dumping "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" and "Back in the USSR" into the world of the 21st century would have the impact that the songs had when they were originally released. Each Beatles song came out within a context of what was happening in the world, either musically or politically, at that moment in time.

I love The Beatles, but by the time I was introduced to them, each member was well into their solo careers. My brother was a teenager in the 60s. The Beatles are like religious figures to him. He has a relationship with their music that I can never have because he experienced each release, the band's evolution, and their impact on society.

I'll always remember Roger Ebert saying something like: The Beatles appeared on Ed Sullivan on February 9th, and on February 10th every teenage boy in America started letting their hair grow long.

The other big problem I had with the movie was that a woman who looked like Lily James would stick it out with this "aspiring artist" for so long.
Old 01-22-23, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a great, funny movie about Beatlemania in 1964, in case anyone never heard of it. It has one of my favorite visual jokes of all time in it.

Old 01-22-23, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 967 Likes on 683 Posts

Kinda weird that we can have someone new play Elvis every couple of years but cast an actor as John Lennon in a flick and people lose their shit.

I loved the hell out of this movie and had no problems with Lennon's portrayal of a normal guy. It's a work of fiction where history is changed via a giant sci-fi event in the first few minutes of the movie. It's not a documentary.
Old 01-22-23, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I think the reveal of "If not for the success of the Beatles, look : John would still be alive" is a really gross and ghoulish development. As a huge fan of John, it offended the hell out of me.
I didn't take it that way. John was happy with the woman he loved while making music, though his life was tragically cut short. Without the music, he was still happy with the woman he loved. In one scenario he was famous and the other he was not, but the one thing that remained the same was the life he shared with someone he loved. That was the lesson being imparted to the main character. Not "oh, John is alive thanks to not writing/performing Beetles songs." If that were the case, the movie would have ended with the lead character shot dead.
Old 01-22-23, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,132 Likes on 4,840 Posts

I guess the movie is like a litmus test. Many are fine with that twist. I was not
Old 01-22-23, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,545 Likes on 2,254 Posts

I enjoyed the movie when I first saw it and didn’t have a problem with the John Lennon moment. Over time, sitting with the movie, I’ve soured on it a bit, mostly for the reasons Josh-da-man mentions.

My other main issue with the movie is that the main character just isn’t very likable - and it’s a flaw with the story. The people inhabiting the movie’s world may not know he’s ripping off the Beatles but the viewing audience does and it doesn’t sit right.

I still don’t have a problem with the John Lennon stuff though. Actually, part of me likes the idea that he may be alive and well in an alternate universe.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 01-22-23 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-22-23, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I didn't take it that way. John was happy with the woman he loved while making music, though his life was tragically cut short. Without the music, he was still happy with the woman he loved. In one scenario he was famous and the other he was not, but the one thing that remained the same was the life he shared with someone he loved. That was the lesson being imparted to the main character. Not "oh, John is alive thanks to not writing/performing Beetles songs." If that were the case, the movie would have ended with the lead character shot dead.
The obvious course for the movie to take would have been for Jack to gain fame and lose Ellie ( I had to look the names up), then have the world go back to normal with people remembering The Beatles and forgetting him, and Jack learning the lesson that Ellie was the most important thing all along, not becoming a successful singer.

So the movie had to work a little bit in non-obvious ways to get where it needed to go. This explanation from RocShemp is well stated that John, who people view as a spiritual figure, was able to impart the wisdom to Jack.
Old 01-22-23, 02:42 PM
TOTY Winner 2018 and Inane Thread Master

Received 1,103 Likes on 919 Posts

Is this movie good for a non-Beatles fan?
Old 01-22-23, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Is this movie good for a non-Beatles fan?
Although, this movie does not involve time travel, if you like the movie About Time, then I think you will like this as well. It is all Beatles music, so you have to like listening to that. As far as how it works as just a rom-com, there are so many better to seek out.
Old 01-22-23, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 424 Likes on 338 Posts

I don't like the Beatles but the music was the best part in the movie. It's a by the numbers rom-com, that wastes an interesting premisse. I wouldn't recommend it. In the end it's a OK movie, but nothing one has to watch.
Old 01-22-23, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,129 Likes on 786 Posts

I can't believe such a nothing-burger of a movie would merit such strong feelings either way. Especially 2.5 years after the fact.
Old 01-22-23, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I can't believe such a nothing-burger of a movie would merit such strong feelings either way. Especially 2.5 years after the fact.
Such is the power of The Beatles and their music. You're just jealous, Sir Elton.
Old 01-23-23, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
Time to revive the Rocketman thread
Old 01-23-23, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jaymole
Better movie, better music.
The following users liked this post:
Nesbit (01-24-23)
Old 01-23-23, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,353 Likes on 978 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
Better movie, better music.
Just because you prefer it doesn't make it a better movie. Or music.
Old 01-23-23, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Just because you prefer it doesn't make it a better movie. Or music.
Actually it does. I licenced the opinion leadership in both regards, for the next 3 years.
Old 01-23-23, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1,129 Likes on 786 Posts

Old 01-23-23, 10:05 AM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts

I''ll just post my notes from when I saw it years ago:Pleasant, lightweight story about a guy who is the only one who remembers The Beatles. Doesn't take itself too seriously and has a nice love story B plot. Directed by Danny Boyle, I guess I like his movies. Lily James is cute as the love interest. I don't usually like Beatles cover tunes but Himesh Patel did a good job with them.

It was interesting to see John Lennon alive at 76. A good twist on how things would be different if The Beatles never existed. The scene of playing Back in the USSR in Moscow was great.
Old 01-30-23, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,158 Likes on 708 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Nesbit (01-30-23)