Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-19, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,192 Likes on 4,219 Posts
Re: Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

I just watched it tonight as well. Thought it was pretty cute. Good not great. Still not sure how I felt about the “cameo” at the end. Kinda clever, kinda gross as well.

Corvin, you’ve never seen Lily James before? Wow, that is a little surprising. You need to see Baby Driver. Amazing film. I love Lily James. She’s so gorgeous she actually seems to glow. Great singing voice as well, best thing in the Mamma Mia sequel/prequel.
Old 11-29-19, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Yesterday (2019, D: Danny Boyle) S: Himesh Patel, Lily James, Kate McKinnon, Ed Sheeran

I've seen Baby Driver, just don't recall her specifically. Guess I need a rewatch.

Wait, she was the love interest at the diner wasn't she? She was great there too.
Old 12-01-19, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Saw this once on a plane and picked the 4K up over the weekend on Black Friday sale. Enjoyed it for what it was and worth watching again.
Old 12-01-19, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Corvin, you’ve never seen Lily James before? Wow, that is a little surprising. You need to see Baby Driver. Amazing film. I love Lily James. She’s so gorgeous she actually seems to glow.
Yeah, she's legit gorgeous and seems to have talent. Take her out of Yesterday, and I don't think I'd have enjoyed it. There's just something about the lead that didn't connect with me.
Old 12-02-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I dug Across the Universe, but this film was on another level. Easily my favorite of the year.
Hell yes....

I'm still trying to get my mom to watch this one (she's a huge Beatles fan).
Old 12-03-19, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Btw... "Hey, Dude?"

Fuckin' Ed Sheeran.

Old 12-03-19, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Hell yes....

Do you know why she’s resisting?
Old 12-03-19, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Originally Posted by candyrocket786
Hell yes....

I recommended this to my mom as well. She’s a big Beatles fan and John Lennon fan. I suspect the reveal near the end will make her cry.
Old 01-04-20, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
After watching the Blu-ray and the extra/alternate scenes, I have to say I like the alternate ending better.

Spoiler:
I think it was a more interesting twist, after showing Jack through the whole movie apparently being the only one who remembers various things (The Beatles, Coca-Cola, cigarettes), to briefly show that there's something that only Ellie seems to remember (Harry Potter). It kind of opens up a whole other potential story from her perspective, but then shrugs it off when she says "never mind" and closes the curtains. With Jack mentioning Harry Potter, it just adds it to the list of all the other things only he seems to be privy to, and it doesn't have the same impact. Just my opinion.
Originally Posted by davidh777
I thought McKinnon was fine.

Kinda bummed that they don’t offer the bonus features on the digital version.
Just watched the movie on BD and still found it fun and charming.

I rarely buy discs these days but was sucked into it by the bonus features and Black Friday sales, and there’s a ton of stuff on here. I thought the alternate ending was interesting, and while the cut scenes were nothing revelatory, I liked returning to the universe and seeing more of the characters. Everything started auto-playing after the movie ended, and I literally had to turn them off after about 40 minutes because I couldn’t stay up any longer. A lot of value there.
Old 02-09-20, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,016 Likes on 628 Posts

I just watched this (disc rental) and really liked it. It's definitely worth watching the deleted/extended scenes and other extras on the disc. There are some additional musical performances that are good.

I do wish there had been at least a little more exploration of the phenomenon that altered history, and why only Jack and those two other people remembered the Beatles. Not too much, but at least something to give it a little more depth.

Lily James is great, as others have mentioned. If you like her, I'd recommend the movie The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It's a romantic comedy and a period-piece (WWII era), and Lily James plays the main character. It's a fun little movie and James is very charming in it. It's available to stream on Netflix.
Old 01-21-23, 04:55 PM

Thank you Joanna. Spot on.
Old 01-21-23, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 248 Likes on 185 Posts

Totally with you. Movie was fine up until that point.
Old 01-21-23, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,065 Posts

Well, she convinced me.
Old 01-21-23, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

I haven't seen the movie since it came out, but it made sense in the narrative that if the band never existed, then Lennon would still be alive. What's the problem? I don't remember anything about what happened except that the guy went and found John alive.
Old 01-21-23, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it’s my unhealthy attachment to the Beatles and i don’t think i’m alone. Someone playing John reenacting things he actually did would be a hard enough sell to me let alone adding on supposing who and what he would be if he wasn’t John from the Beatles. Just didn’t feel right.
Old 01-21-23, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,825 Likes on 1,226 Posts

Originally Posted by Nesbit
I think it’s my unhealthy attachment to the Beatles and i don’t think i’m alone. Someone playing John reenacting things he actually did would be a hard enough sell to me let alone adding on supposing who and what he would be if he wasn’t John from the Beatles. Just didn’t feel right.
That's legitimate.
Of course if art avoided being iconoclastic there would only be vanilla art.
Old 01-21-23, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Definitely and happy for anyone who thought Yesterday John worked. Put him in a good place at least.
The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (01-21-23)
Old 01-21-23, 08:01 PM

Definitely and happy for anyone who thought Yesterday John worked. Put him in a good place at least.
FWIW I agree it's almost impossible to not be drawn out of a movie that features a fictional version of an idol in similar fashion, though I think Carlyle looks the part enough ...
Old 01-21-23, 08:09 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

I didn't know that was Robert Carlyle until now, cool.

War crime?
Old 01-21-23, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

What a POS movie. "Hey, let's give someone else the credit for creating all of The Beatles' music."
Old 01-21-23, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know about not feeling right. It was supposed to have shock value. To me that was sort of the point, that John Lennon was a person who could have lived a happy life past 40 if he hadn't been John from The Beatles. So it is supposed to be ironic for the viewer, who would see the world being deprived of The Beatles existence as a sad thing, to reconsider that it would have an upside for someone they love. Or to consider which is better: To be super famous and dead at 40, or to live a long life in obscurity?

Originally Posted by windom
What a POS movie. "Hey, let's give someone else the credit for creating all of The Beatles' music."
What an odd way to view what this movie was about, imo.
The following 2 users liked this post by Count Dooku:
GoldenJCJ (01-21-23), Kurt D (01-21-23)
Old 01-21-23, 09:46 PM

I think the reveal of "If not for the success of the Beatles, look : John would still be alive" is a really gross and ghoulish development. As a huge fan of John, it offended the hell out of me.
Old 01-21-23, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I didn't think it too much of a big deal to have a living Lennon represented.
Old 01-21-23, 10:53 PM

I think the reveal of "If not for the success of the Beatles, look : John would still be alive" is a really gross and ghoulish development. As a huge fan of John, it offended the hell out of me.
I think it's neutral. Firstly, it's a fiction, you can be offended while not taking it 'seriously'. It can neither be proven nor disproven. It's a 'multiverse' idea that may be right or wrong. John may have been a successful solo artist who also attracted the attention of a psychopath. It's arguable, however, that the likely never-to-be-repeated meteoric deification of The Beatles in such a short period of time did more to contribute to his death than if he had lived what one might call a more normal life.
Old 01-22-23, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty standard in alternate timeline movies to reveal that altered events lead to deaths' caused or lives' saved. This idea in this movie is logically sound. When this movie came out, John had been dead for almost 40 years. You're too sensitive about it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.