Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Destin Daniel Cretton)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Destin Daniel Cretton)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-21, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts
Re: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings (2021, D: Destin Daniel Cretton)

Originally Posted by dex14
But can they name one famous Canadian-American???
Wolverine!
Old 07-30-21, 08:16 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Last edited by dex14; 07-30-21 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-30-21, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
Why are you all taking so wrong what I said? Maybe i didn’t say perfectly. And I acknowledged it is great and long overdue, I’m just saying there were/are others and they are all coming into own. And that he is Canadian, only meant he is Asian-Canadian. It’s not like he just came from China, which I believe is where he is from. He’s been in NA since 5 and is Canadian citizen.

And Runaway, “biggest franchise there is”? Where’d ya get that from? All we know is this is a standalone, like BW and others mentioned, we don’t know if we’ll even see this character again if flop and bad, plus one movie is not a franchise, unless you’re saying MCU.
So you were actually talking about Asians and not Asian-Americans or naturalized Asians?

You do realize there are a ton of movies actually made in Asia that star people from Asia and that there is no real need for a "savior" in American cinema for them? If we're talking celebrating the likes of Golding or Simu and movies headlining them, the narrative is usually that it's representation for Asian-Americans/Canadians/British/etc. That's why I found your statement calling him out as being from Canada kind of odd.
Old 07-30-21, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Forget it Jake, it’s Oldboytown.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 07-30-21 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-30-21, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Not even close. I don’t know anyone who watches it and I don’t really see any write ups about it here.
We just started it and love it, but yea it doesn't get any of the love Schitts Creek got. Also sucks to hear the actors didn't have a positive experience on it.
Old 07-30-21, 10:31 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

/thread

Old 08-12-21, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So no Disney Plus Premiere access. Theatrical exclusive, 45 day window until on Disney Plus.

Shame because I would have bought it too.
Old 08-12-21, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Still gonna just wait for it to be on Disney+.
The following users liked this post:
OldBoy (08-12-21)
Old 08-12-21, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
So no Disney Plus Premiere access. Theatrical exclusive, 45 day window until on Disney Plus.

https://twitter.com/Great_Katzby/sta...25175862865925

Shame because I would have bought it too.
It’s not going to Disney plus after 45 days. It will go to $20 PVOD afterwards. It will probably be on regular Disney plus close to Christmas. They want 90 days for theatrical, rentals and digital before it’s part of your subscription. No way they will dump it for everyone after barely a month and a half.

Edit: I’ve seen some confusing write ups on this. One person wrote that after 45 days it will likely go to Premiere Access for for kind of fee. Which makes sense. 45 days it way too soon to give an MCU movie for regular subscribers.

Last edited by DJariya; 08-12-21 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-12-21, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Unless they're going to give some kind of drastic discount over other VOD services, who the heck is going to pay the same price at the same time to lock this into premier access Disney Plus instead of MA?
Deftones (08-12-21)
Old 08-12-21, 07:10 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

It’s not going to Disney plus after 45 days. It will go to $20 PVOD afterwards. It will probably be on regular Disney plus close to Christmas. They want 90 days for theatrical, rentals and digital before it’s part of your subscription. No way they will dump it for everyone after barely a month and a half.

Edit: I’ve seen some confusing write ups on this. One person wrote that after 45 days it will likely go to Premiere Access for for kind of fee. Which makes sense. 45 days it way too soon to give an MCU movie for regular subscribers.
Premier Access better than no access.
Old 08-13-21, 09:41 AM

Old 08-14-21, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

To add some context to Simu's comment, he's taking a shot at Bob Chapek who is calling this movie an "experiment" being theaters-only and not having a Disney + option.

https://screenrant.com/shang-chi-mov...ease-response/
Old 08-14-21, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

https://twitter.com/SimuLiu/status/1...138762245?s=20

To add some context to Simu's comment, he's taking a shot at Bob Chapek who is calling this movie an "experiment" being theaters-only and not having a Disney + option.

https://screenrant.com/shang-chi-mov...ease-response/
Why are they encouraging people to herd together, especially right now or even a couple of weeks from now?
Old 08-16-21, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Chapek really isn't endearing himself to the MCU stars, is he?

That being said, it wasn't a slight at the Asian American cast at all, in that I'm sure he views all these films as a commodity to use like this. And as someone who has young unvaccinated kids at home, I'm not seeing this in the theater, and I really really really hope this doesn't bomb, at least not as badly as the last Asian-led genre movie that bombed last month.
Old 08-16-21, 08:13 AM

Tickets are now onsale.
Old 08-16-21, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,210 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Chapek really isn't endearing himself to the MCU stars, is he?

That being said, it wasn't a slight at the Asian American cast at all, in that I'm sure he views all these films as a commodity to use like this. And as someone who has young unvaccinated kids at home, I'm not seeing this in the theater, and I really really really hope this doesn't bomb, at least not as badly as the last Asian-led genre movie that bombed last month.
It really does feel like it's going to bomb though. I get the feeling that this movie has no buzz going for it, no heat. Less than any previous MCU film, by a lot. An almost unknown property, not connected in any tangible way to any other MCU film, no big stars, a difficult to remember title, coming out during a pandemic surge and after kids return to school. And the trailers feel so generic. I try to muster some enthusiasm because Iike the MCU films, but honestly this looks like any other Americanized version of a Hong Kong action film.
lopper (08-17-21)
Old 08-16-21, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

I'll be seeing it the first weekend, but I'm wary of the film. I'm an old-school Comics fan and Master of Kung Fu was a favorite. Of course, the character was drawn to evoke Bruce Lee. I'm sure Simu Li is a nice guy and kind to animals, but he just doesn't scream Action Hero to me. He just seems like the neighbor from down the street. I hope I feel differently after the film.
Old 08-16-21, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
It really does feel like it's going to bomb though. I get the feeling that this movie has no buzz going for it, no heat. Less than any previous MCU film, by a lot. An almost unknown property, not connected in any tangible way to any other MCU film, no big stars, a difficult to remember title, coming out during a pandemic surge and after kids return to school. And the trailers feel so generic. I try to muster some enthusiasm because Iike the MCU films, but honestly this looks like any other Americanized version of a Hong Kong action film.
I mean it IS connected to Iron Man 3, but yeah, I think anything that comes out after the spectacle that was Endgame probably falls short on the connectivity front. I'm surprised they spoiled the Abomination part but they probably had to.

I do have a feeling this is not going to do all that well, and I suspect the conclusions they'll draw on as for why it and Widow (for an MCU mainline film) and maybe Eternals underperform are going to place the blame on the cast/direction/some other BS and not COVID. I may just be a bit pessimistic though.

As an aside, on the toy front covid+release date shifting basically screwed over the action figures for both this and GI Joe. The Shang Chi figures have been on the shelves for months now and are going to be clearanced out by the time the movie hits. Meanwhile the Joe figures aren't even really out yet. So I doubt merch sales are going to carry either franchise.
Old 08-16-21, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

If I have to wait 90 days for BW to hit Disney+, I can most definitely wait 45 days for this.
Old 08-16-21, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

I don't think it really matters too much if it fails or not. Fail is also subjective because I don't think either way it will loss money (although Disney will cook the books like any studio does to make it seem like it did). For these MCU films these characters are going to appear in other MCU films and could work better with a supporting cast around them. In turn it could make their character more familiar and audiences once again craving a solo movie. I think this is what is happening with Dr Strange, people weren't as onboard with that first solo movie (and it was a very different spin on the MCU formula) but enjoyed his character in other MCU movies and are looking forward to the Multi Verse.

Going forward though someone is going to have to step up to be the central character carrying the films. RDJ did it for awhile then Chris Evans came and helped out. Chadwick Boseman would have done an amazing job carrying it forward but that unfortunately wasn't in the cards. I think the obvious answer is Tom Holland, but he needs help. I'm kinda shocked that we aren't finally ready for a solo Hulk movie again. Ruffalo seems like he could carry a film himself, but maybe there is just too many failures and they want to keep him with others.
Old 08-16-21, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by beavis69
I'm kinda shocked that we aren't finally ready for a solo Hulk movie again. Ruffalo seems like he could carry a film himself, but maybe there is just too many failures and they want to keep him with others.
There won’t be a solo Hulk movie because Marvel doesn’t want to involve Universal, who hold the distribution rights.
Old 08-16-21, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

Hulk hasn't gotten and won't get a solo movie simply because Universal still has the exclusive rights to distribute any Hulk movie, and Disney doesn't want to finance a movie only to have to split the profits with Universal.
Old 08-16-21, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by beavis69
I don't think it really matters too much if it fails or not. Fail is also subjective because I don't think either way it will loss money (although Disney will cook the books like any studio does to make it seem like it did). For these MCU films these characters are going to appear in other MCU films and could work better with a supporting cast around them. In turn it could make their character more familiar and audiences once again craving a solo movie. I think this is what is happening with Dr Strange, people weren't as onboard with that first solo movie (and it was a very different spin on the MCU formula) but enjoyed his character in other MCU movies and are looking forward to the Multi Verse.

Going forward though someone is going to have to step up to be the central character carrying the films. RDJ did it for awhile then Chris Evans came and helped out. Chadwick Boseman would have done an amazing job carrying it forward but that unfortunately wasn't in the cards. I think the obvious answer is Tom Holland, but he needs help. I'm kinda shocked that we aren't finally ready for a solo Hulk movie again. Ruffalo seems like he could carry a film himself, but maybe there is just too many failures and they want to keep him with others.
They are in trouble if they need to lean on Holland to lead this universe, considering the whole Sony thing.
Old 08-16-21, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

Saw the trailer for this in front of Fast 9 they also showed the Snake Eyes trailer right after it. Both looked so generic and boring I may have mixed up the order I saw the trailers...no interest in this at all really. I will Redbox one day maybe.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.