Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

China Rich Girlfriend -- Crazy Rich Asians 2 (D: John M. Chu)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

China Rich Girlfriend -- Crazy Rich Asians 2 (D: John M. Chu)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Re: China Rich Girlfriend -- Crazy Rich Asians 2 (D: John M. Chu)

Originally Posted by mrhan
Well, that's a straight up sexist remark and women would take offense to that statement. I would never say anything like that. It's very humiliating and basically your telling them they are powerless. You, sir, are sexist and women would literary tell you to fuck off.
Nice try.

Please stop being so offended.
No one is offended. It's more like, at least for me, I can't believe people are still acting like cavemen when it comes to women calling Hollywood on their shit for the pay gap.

I have no resolution to the pay gap and neither do you. You just liked being offended and outraged. It's sad things really don't change and they really haven't since recorded time but it's good that people are aware but sadly there really isn't a solution to all this.
You truly sound like a certain type of person. I guess next you'll call me a "Snowflake"... But still the solution is easy. Pay women fairly. Just that simple.
Old 09-06-19, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Nice try.

No one is offended. It's more like, at least for me, I can't believe people are still acting like cavemen when it comes to women calling Hollywood on their shit for the pay gap.

You truly sound like a certain type of person. I guess next you'll call me a "Snowflake"... But still the solution is easy. Pay women fairly. Just that simple.
If it's all so simple why doesn't it just happen? It's so easy to complain but when it comes to having a true solution you really don't have the answer. Quit fooling yourself.

....and yeah if you do ask people with common sense and without any context of this conversation; your question comes across as sexist. Between the lines your tellIing women they are powerless; even more so if they fight a battle by themselves.

I forgot to add...yeah, you are offended since you keep responding to my simple comment with all kinds of shit and making it bigger than it is. Yeah....offended. Let it go.

Last edited by mrhan; 09-06-19 at 06:20 PM.
Old 09-06-19, 09:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Bring it down a notch folks - or I'll close and/or remove some of the remarks being made here.
Old 09-07-19, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
If it's all so simple why doesn't it just happen? It's so easy to complain but when it comes to having a true solution you really don't have the answer. Quit fooling yourself.

....and yeah if you do ask people with common sense and without any context of this conversation; your question comes across as sexist. Between the lines your tellIing women they are powerless; even more so if they fight a battle by themselves.

I forgot to add...yeah, you are offended since you keep responding to my simple comment with all kinds of shit and making it bigger than it is. Yeah....offended. Let it go.

How about they just pay her (the Asian lady) the 800k that the white guy will get for writing a film about Asians? The film is a guaranteed 200 million dollar money-maker (at the very least). It's pure and fucking simple. That's what you should be championing for instead this bullshit about her just shutting her mouth and taking the scraps they're giving her. Seriously.
Old 09-07-19, 03:37 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good for Adele Lim.

As an asian person who had to do something similar in my own field that still does not do that well in minority representation (where I’ve had 2 decades of experience in), it has nothing to do with being “offended” and more to do with (1) not having to stand for being taken for granted and (2) them needing you more than you need them.

In my case, after the president of my former company heard I was leaving, she asked to meet with me (mainly because the client praised me by name during an account review with her - otherwise, it’s large enough of a company where I’m just another faceless cog) and after our talk, she said “I was going to offer you more money, but you’re not going to take it, are you?” and I was pretty much “Nope”.

Overall, not exactly in the same position as Adele Lim, but close enough where I can completely understand her position and the decisions she made. Accepting or staying would diminish oneself, and there’s a certain point where that’s not worth it.

Good for Adele Lim.
Old 09-07-19, 03:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
How about they just pay her (the Asian lady) the 800k that the white guy will get for writing a film about Asians? The film is a guaranteed 200 million dollar money-maker (at the very least). It's pure and fucking simple. That's what you should be championing for instead this bullshit about her just shutting her mouth and taking the scraps they're giving her. Seriously.
So, just because she is Asian I should back her? Fuck that. It was that soy sauce comment that basically clumped all Asians as the same. It'a like saying we all know kung fu and are good at math. That was my issue and not the salary issue. I don't back someone just because we are the same race and using race as a crutch is the dumbest thing any individual can do. I'd like to believe most people are beyond using their race as an excuse for their troubles. It's so obvious you think it's so much easier to use the race card and blame others for your personal issues.

Last edited by mrhan; 09-07-19 at 04:29 AM.
Old 09-08-19, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is as old as the hills...
100 years ago, someone penned "The world DOESN'T owe you a living."
These days, we have a lot of people who feel entitled...that they somehow deserve more than what they currently receive.

The fact is big-time movie screenwriters (and actors and directors) are independent CONTRACTORS, not studio employees.

This particular screenwriter feels shortchanged...fine, then she should fire the agent who negotiated the contract.
To cry "victim" is complete B.S.
Old 09-08-19, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by melasnus
This is as old as the hills...
100 years ago, someone penned "The world DOESN'T owe you a living."
These days, we have a lot of people who feel entitled...that they somehow deserve more than what they currently receive.

The fact is big-time movie screenwriters (and actors and directors) are independent CONTRACTORS, not studio employees.

This particular screenwriter feels shortchanged...fine, then she should fire the agent who negotiated the contract.
To cry "victim" is complete B.S.
Victim? Why should she not get the same amount as the guy? Forget the race issue then, why should she not get the same amount as the guy? Don't give me any bullshit about the guy having more experience. They both wrote the first film together and the studio wants to pay HIM almost a million, while she gets 100K.
Old 09-08-19, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Victim? Why should she not get the same amount as the guy? Forget the race issue then, why should she not get the same amount as the guy? Don't give me any bullshit about the guy having more experience. They both wrote the first film together and the studio wants to pay HIM almost a million, while she gets 100K.
I answered your concern in the previous post.

See below:

Old 09-08-19, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nah, you're deflecting. I'd wager that if she's personally making a statement then she may have gotten a different agent already. Whatever, I guess she should be grateful and just write, and bake a cake while she's at it.
Old 09-08-19, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The movie made 8 times its budget. She absolutely deserved a significant raise. She got ripped off with that offer. And regarding the Soy Sauce comment which seems to have touched a nerve. If she wasn’t involved with the script development, Crazy Rich Asians would have been just any generic romantic comedy that stars Sandra Bullock, Reese Witherspoon or Jen Aniston. She added the Asian influence and culture in the script. That’s why she was brought on in the first movie by Jon Chu. And that’s why I think she made the comment because she felt her work was undervalued. It’s both frustration and using THR to speak up for others who maybe are afraid to speak their minds.

And maybe people outside the writing community aren’t up at arms about this because they feel it’s not their place to chime in on this issue.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-08-19 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-08-19, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nah, you're deflecting.
Not so much.
I'd wager that if she's personally making a statement then she may have gotten a different agent already.
Possibly so...if she's smart.
Whatever, I guess she should be grateful and just write, and bake a cake while she's at it.
No, she needs to write a great screenplay and peddle it for higher bucks than what she received last time out.

Originally Posted by DJariya
She absolutely deserved a significant raise.
NOT a "raise," she didn't/doesn't work for the studio...again, she's an Independent Contractor.
However, her Market Value should be considerably higher due to the success of the movie.
She got ripped off with that offer.
It is/was the responsibility of her AGENT to negotiate a better deal.
If she wasn’t involved with the script development, Crazy Rich Asians would have been just any generic romantic comedy that stars Sandra Bullock, Reese Witherspoon or Jen Aniston.
Maybe, maybe not...we'll never know exactly what the extent of her contribution was.

Old 09-09-19, 07:33 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Old 09-09-19, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK, he made it official: she picked up her pencils and went home unhappy.
Not much more to say about this other than he doesn't consider it to be racial issue that led to her departure.
Old 09-10-19, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Not much more to say about this other than he doesn't consider it to be racial issue that led to her departure.

Old 09-10-19, 03:12 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts

Yeah, it's obvious that Jon is sexist and a self-loathing Asian.
Old 03-21-22, 12:57 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros and Color Force have set up-and-coming Chinese-Australian writer Amy Wang to pen Crazy Rich Asians 2, Deadline can reveal, replacing Peter Chiarelli and Adele Lim following a 2019 controversy around pay parity.

Wang takes on sole writing duties for Jon M. Chu’s sequel starring Henry Golding and Constance Wu, Deadline understands, which comes after the successful first 2018 feature that followed a Chinese-American professor’s experience meeting her boyfriend’s mega-rich Singaporean family. Gemma Chan, Lisa Lu, Awkwafina, Ken Jeong and Michelle Yeoh also starred in the first feature.

Plot and further details are being kept under wraps for the anticipated sequel, with a third film also planned.

Wang is story editor on Netflix’s Brothers Sun from Brad Falchuk and Byron Wu and has also worked on the same streamer’s Zoe Saldana-starring From Scratch.

She is currently writing and directing a horror feature for Paramount Players/QC Entertainment and has directed shows including an upcoming episode of Starz’s Blindspotting and Facebook’s The Birch. She won a Cannes Lion award for her short Unnatural in 2018.

Wang is repped by Kaplan/Perrone and Jackoway, Austin, Tyerman.

In 2019, around a year after Crazy Rich Asians lit up the box office, Lim walked away from the two planned sequels after it was revealed she was being paid almost 10 times less than The Proposal writer Chiarelli, the business argument being that Chiarelli was a seasoned feature scribe and Lim largely a TV writer.

Chu responded at the time with a lengthy statement in which he said he stands with Lim and is proud “that she was able to stand up for her own measure of worth and walk away when she felt like she was being undervalued.”

Once the news had gone public, Chu said that he had spoken with Lim and Warner execs to try and reach parity but by that time “a lot of time had passed and she declined the offer.”
https://deadline.com/2022/03/crazy-r...im-1234981942/