Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

China Rich Girlfriend -- Crazy Rich Asians 2 (D: John M. Chu)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 09:05 AM

Received 4,659 Likes on 3,154 Posts

The Crazy Rich Asians gang is getting back together. Jon M. Chu, who helmed the groundbreaking film that ruled the box office with a $35.3 million five-day opening, is planning to return for the sequel. Warner Bros.' is moving forward with development on the follow-up, with plans to reunite the first movie's original team, including producers Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson of Color Force and John Penotti of Ivanhoe, and also bring back screenwriters Peter Chiarelli and Adele Lim.

Chu, whose past credits include 2016's Now You See Me 2 and 2013's G.I. Joe: Retaliation, does have a packed schedule, but sources say he'd likely helm the follow-up to Crazy Rich Asians after shooting the long-awaited adaptation of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s first musical, In the Heights, which Warners has scheduled for a June 26, 2020, release.

Warner Bros. has not yet officially greenlighted the sequel (it's standard practice for a studio to take a wait-and-see approach with a new potential franchise) but is moving forward on development. The studio and its CEO and chairman Kevin Tsujihara took a risk by greenlighting a comp-less film starring an all-Asian cast and a very specific story set in Singapore, but with the massive opening weekend results, a strong performance in weeks to come will all but guarantee the sequel is a go. The $30 million production, the first Hollywood studio movie since 1993’s The Joy Luck Club to feature an all-Westernized Asian ensemble, has opened better than any other comedy this year and and any rom-com since 2015’s Trainwreck.

Warner Bros. has the option for Kevin Kwan’s entire trilogy, which includes 2015’s China Rich Girlfriend and 2017’s Rich People Problems. “We have a plan with Kevin for the next two films,” says producer Simpson.

Chu smartly teased the possible sequel in the final moments of the first film. Like any classic romantic comedy, Crazy Rich Asians wraps up happily ever after, with the entire ensemble gathered on the rooftop of Singapore’s iconic Marina Bay Sands resort to celebrate the engagement of Nick (Henry Golding) and Rachel (Constance Wu). But unlike most romantic comedies, the Warner Bros. hit actually ends with a mid-credits scene more commonly seen nowadays in Marvel movies, teasing the subject of the next installment.

The stinger features Nick’s newly single cousin Astrid (Gemma Chan) exchanging meaningful glances at the party with a handsome man (Glee alum Harry Shum Jr.), Charlie Wu, whom fans of Kwan’s novels recognize as Astrid’s first love.

Eagle-eyed viewers spotted Charlie dancing with Astrid in the trailer (a few tantalizing seconds that were instantly immortalized in GIFs), but the moment — which took place earlier in the film, at Colin (Chris Pang) and Araminta's (Sonoya Mizuno) wedding reception — was excised from the film’s final cut, in part to avoid giving the impression that Astrid was leaving her husband, Michael (Pierre Png), for another man.

Instead, Charlie and Astrid’s second chance at romance would take place during a second film, Chu tells THR. “The idea is to tell the story in the next movie,” he says, adding that Shum’s appearance in Crazy Rich Asians was always intended to be a cameo. “I made a promise to Harry, so I’m going to do it.”

In addition to developing Charlie and Astrid’s relationship, China Rich Girlfriend also follows Nick and Rachel to China on her search for her father. But China’s cooperation with such a sequel remains in question, as its government has in recent years strenuously tried to downplay the country’s uber-wealthy class. Crazy Rich Asians has yet to obtain a China release, and a Chinese translation of the 2013 novel was only made available in the country this year.

The other Crazy Rich Asians character with a major plotline in the second book is, surprisingly, Kitty Pong (Fiona Xie), the shameless gold-digging actress who dumps Alistair (Remy Hii) for Bernard Tai (Jimmy O. Yang). As with other actors like Shum, Chu cast the Singaporean star with an eye toward her expanded part in the sequel. “We needed to hire somebody who can really act, because in time she becomes much more significant,” he says. “I think she’s scared that we’re never going to make that one, but we are. I’ll make it happen.”

The main cast, including Golding, Wu and Yeoh, have options in place for the sequels, and, after likely negotiating bigger deals in light of the film's success, would return. The self-described “family” of Crazy Rich Asians has unanimously expressed eagerness to reunite. “I hope there’s something in the future,” leading man Golding, who has Paul Feig’s A Simple Favor and indie Monsoon coming out soon, tells THR. “It would be so much fun to get everybody back together, back to sweaty old Singapore.”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...0?facebook0822
Old 08-22-18, 09:11 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: China Rich Girlfriend -- Crazy Rich Asians 2 (D: John M. Chu)

I'm sure they're ramping up to do both sequels. Eh, good for them. It's something different and nice to watch after the past years of all things Marvel, DECU garbage and hate for them, and really shitty remakes.
Old 08-22-18, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by E Unit
I'm sure they're ramping up to do both sequels. Eh, good for them. It's something different and nice to watch after the past years of all things Marvel, DECU garbage and hate for them, and really shitty remakes.
Agreed.
Old 08-22-18, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,149 Posts

Awesome
Old 08-22-18, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in.
Old 08-22-18, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Warning: that press release in the initial post has major CRAZY RICH ASIANS spoilers.
Old 08-22-18, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,704 Likes on 2,662 Posts

I figured the storyline with Rachel wanting to find her real father would eventually be addressed in a sequel. Hopefully they can get the proper permits to film in Mainland China. It would be very hard to fake China elsewhere.

Unfortunately when I saw this back on the 8th, I left the theater as the credits rolled and missed the bonus scene with Gemma Chan and Shum's character that teased something with them.
Old 08-22-18, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by E Unit
Damn dude. You do know they make other films right? How did your film selections get so limited?
Old 08-22-18, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 955 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Damn dude. You do know they make other films right? How did your film selections get so limited?
Yes, they do make other films, but 90% of what you see at the major multiplexes is what E Unit describes. I too go see the "other" films, but there's just a handful of theaters in my city that show them. CRA made it to the multiplexes, and that's a good thing.
Old 08-22-18, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Paff
Yes, they do make other films, but 90% of what you see at the major multiplexes is what E Unit describes. I too go see the "other" films, but there's just a handful of theaters in my city that show them. CRA made it to the multiplexes, and that's a good thing.
I guess I'm spoiled living in the Big City.
Old 08-22-18, 06:36 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Paff
Exactly. Yeah, I know there's VOD, Amazon, Netflix, etc., but theatrically it's a different story - and at times those "other films" are really hard to find or not available at all in my area.

I guess I'm spoiled living in the Big City.
Consider yourself lucky.
Old 08-23-18, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 224 Likes on 149 Posts

As Nick's father, they should cast Chow Yun Fat. It would be cool to see him and Michelle reunited again after Crouching Tiger and Children of Huang Shi.

Also, he could have a cool scene where he goes all postal on some boorish guest at a lavish dinner party when they tell him that his fried rice stinks.
Old 08-23-18, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
As Nick's father, they should cast Chow Yun Fat. It would be cool to see him and Michelle reunited again after Crouching Tiger and Children of Huang Shi.

Also, he could have a cool scene where he goes all postal on some boorish guest at a lavish dinner party when they tell him that his fried rice stinks.
Where's John Woo when we need him?
Old 10-29-18, 02:27 PM

The producers of “Crazy Rich Asians,” which doesn’t release in China till the end of next month, are already warming up plans to shoot the film’s sequel in the Middle Kingdom.

Producer John Penotti, president of SK Global, said that “China Rich Girlfriend” is targeting a shoot in Shanghai. He made the revelation Monday in Los Angeles at the Chinese American Film Festival’s Co-Production Summit.

The sequel is an adaptation of novelist Kevin Kwan’s second book in the “Asians” series. It is located substantially in China and set two years after the events of “Crazy Rich Asians.”

Penotti said that it is currently unclear whether the producers will attempt to structure “China Rich Girlfriend” as an official China-U.S. co-production. ““We certainly tried to make the (first) film as a China-U.S. co-production. But (as a company, we) haven’t been very good at doing co-productions.” “Crazy Rich Asians” was a Warner Bros. Pictures release and presentation, and produced by SK Global, Starlight Culture, Color Force, Ivanhoe Pictures, Electric Somewhere.

It was released in North America in August and in most Asian territories in September and October. To date it has grossed $232 million worldwide, including $177 million in North America.

Obtaining a China release has the potential to lift the film’s results to another level, but five weeks ahead of its outing its expected box-office performance is unclear. “I have no idea whether the film will be a hit in China,” said Adele Lim, the film’s screenwriter. “We tried to make it true to our culture. We knew we couldn’t make every Asian happy, we can’t make every Chinese happy.”

After a prolonged approval process, which often seemed in doubt, the film recently obtained a Nov. 30 release date for China. Penotti said that no cuts have been requested by the censors and regulators in China.

Penotti speculated that the spicier elements of the book may have given the Chinese censors initial cause for concern, and that the finished film’s approval may have been held up by organizational changes within the Chinese government. “We were never told there was something specific. There was an upheaval over the approval process over the last few months. We fell prey to that, rather than anything content-related,” said Penotti.

Kwan’s original book made large play of decadent behavior by the super-rich, and made use of a plot point in which the heroine’s father languished in a Chinese prison. The Jon M. Chu-directed film focused more on the romance and omitted the father character. Chu is expected to direct the sequel.

The title of “China Rich Girlfriend” is a reference to a line in the first movie where the Singapore matriarch, played by Michelle Yeoh, plays down her family’s wealth in comparison with others: “These people aren’t just everyday rich with a few hundred million. They are China rich.”
https://variety.com/2018/film/asia/c...vDPqxbq8R3DsIw
Old 11-19-18, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2018/11/constan...al-1202504381/

Sequel isn't going into production anytime soon.

Jon Chu is busy next year with another film. In the Heights.
Old 11-19-18, 01:46 PM
Banned by request

I'm sure a pay raise will move his schedule around.
Old 11-20-18, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They'll want to strike while the iron is still relatively hot. Have Jon start filming in 2020 for a 2021 release.
Old 09-04-19, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...ispute-1236431

Although director Jon M. Chu had hoped to keep the creative team intact, co-writer Adele Lim no longer is involved with the project, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. At issue is pay parity: Co-writer Peter Chiarelli, as an experienced feature scribe who broke out with 2009's The Proposal, was to be paid a significantly higher fee than Lim, a veteran TV writer who never had penned a feature until Chu hired her to work on the screenplay. (Before Chu boarded the project, producers Nina Jacobson and Brad Simpson of Color Force already had enlisted Chiarelli to adapt Kevin Kwan's 2013 best-selling novel.)

"Being evaluated that way can't help but make you feel that is how they view my contributions," says Lim, who believes that women and people of color often are regarded as "soy sauce" — hired to sprinkle culturally specific details on a screenplay, rather than credited with the substantive work of crafting the story.

She declined to provide specific figures, but sources say that Warner Bros.' starting offers were $800,000 to $1 million for Chiarelli and $110,000-plus for Lim. Warners explained to Lim's reps that the quotes are industry-standard established ranges based on experience and that making an exception would set a troubling precedent in the business. The talks escalated to studio chairman Toby Emmerich, who backed his business affairs department's stance.

The actors are currently under option, and though they are rapidly booking other projects and even franchises, scheduling isn't expected to impact sequel plans, which at this rate would shoot back-to-back and no sooner than the end of 2020.​​​​​​​
Old 09-04-19, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Meh. Her resume sucks. If she was smart she should have had her agent do a back end deal. She would have obviously made a shit load of cash. I hate it when people pull the race card; which she obviously did with that soy sauce statement.
Old 09-04-19, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
Meh. Her resume sucks. If she was smart she should have had her agent do a back end deal. She would have obviously made a shit load of cash. I hate it when people pull the race card; which she obviously did with that soy sauce statement.
Rather than do as you suggest, for example, she plays it up in the press as a victim.
I don't get her strategy here...
She could have used her leverage from this sequel to get contracts for future projects that could have paid off BIG.

Old 09-04-19, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by melasnus
Rather than do as you suggest, for example, she plays it up in the press as a victim.
She could have used her leverage from this sequel to get contracts for future projects that could have paid off BIG.
Yup. Just wait it out. What a dumbass.
Old 09-05-19, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Let's see if the sequel is as well-written.
Old 09-05-19, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk God

You obviously take some kind of offense to her quote.

But, her resume doesn't suck. She's been a consistently working writer/producer in TV for well over 10 years. And 6 of her shows were on multiple seasons. Her job is hard with all the studio politics and B.S. she has to deal with and to have worked that long is a good career. Her colleague getting 8X her salary is fucking bullshit.

Her colleague wrote 1 fucking movie in 10 years and has a story by credit in another. If her co-writer was say Aaron Sorkin or John Milus, then maybe you can have an argument that those guys deserve much more.

She was IMO getting ripped off by the studio. It was cool that her colleague offered to share some of his salary, but he shouldn't have to do that.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-05-19 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-05-19, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 955 Likes on 729 Posts

Or, and this is just a crazy wack-a-doodle idea, she's right.
Old 09-05-19, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by melasnus
The success of the first film should've been all the leverage she needs. The disparity is too large here. If she was balking over a $500k pay day instead then there would be some issue.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.