Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

AMC Stubs A-List -- movie theatre subscription

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

AMC Stubs A-List -- movie theatre subscription

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-18, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
re: AMC Stubs A-List -- movie theatre subscription

Originally Posted by asianxcore
All of the AMC Theaters are in San Francisco, CA or near Berkeley, CA, which are about an hour or more from where I currently live.

Seems like a solid deal for those of you who have AMC Theaters close to where you live.
same for me. the closest AMC to Sacramento is in Antioch!
Old 06-21-18, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 277 Likes on 231 Posts

I live up the street from the Newpark Mall one (with an Imax theater) but if you add up all of my movie ticket receipts I would probably not end up having spent more than $240 on tickets over a 12 month period.

The other question is would I watch that much more movies on a weekly/monthly basis if I signed up to be a Stub A-List member (I am not even a current Stubs member) and the answer is probably no even if I tried to talk myself into signing up.

I pretty much only see films on weekends or on Holidays/Vacation days and the last time I saw a film during the daytime on a non-holiday/vacation day was when I was unemployed (I would use my gift card to buy a Friday afternoon showing so my weekends would remain open).
Old 06-21-18, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't know when the last time I went to an AMC was. There are 2 around here - a dine-in movie theatre (which I hate), and the crappy "dollar theatre" (which is now 2.50).

I'll pass. That said, I like competition and alternatives in the marketplace (although AMC's hypocrisy slamming MP a while ago is annoying). I just wish MP wouldn't do such crazy stuff, and that they stay in business. I actually sort of miss the days of a 29.95 or 39.95month sub, that at least was more sustainable.
Of course, I see movies much less now than I used to when I first got MP, so the old price probably wouldn't be worth it for me.
Old 06-21-18, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Count me in the camp that thinks this AMC program isn't worth anything. One of the 6 theaters that I go to is an AMC. Guess what? Moviepass is accepted at all of them. This AMC program will only be accepted at one of them. I don't really care for IMAX, and 3d is garbage, so those two aren't selling points for me. The only thing that may be worthwhile is the reclining seats that one theater in the local AMC has. So limiting me to one theater complex, I think I'll pass on this program.
Old 06-21-18, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Not a fan of the Dine-In AMC’s unless you have lots of money to burn for $6 sodas and $18 chicken tender combos. So fricking expensive.
Old 06-21-18, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Not a fan of the Dine-In AMC’s unless you have lots of money to burn for $6 sodas and $18 chicken tender combos. So fricking expensive.
That sounds like prices at a normal AMC...
Old 06-21-18, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Appears a lot of hate for AMC here. All the theaters closest to me are all AMCs (because they bought Carmike/Rave prior locations). They also did zero upgrades but at least the theaters were in good shape and relatively new when they bought them.

This may play for me since my son and I prefer going to the LieMAX for the blockbuster movies. We started just going to the other AMC that has "The Big D" which is similar to LieMAX but didn't cost any more with MoviePass (but my friend just informed me he had to pay two bucks more last night using his MP to see The Incredibles on The Big D so that may be ending). He was pissed.

We have a Premiere Cinema not too far away which is a decent place but is horribly managed and I refuse to go back there. The only other choice is an Amstar and a Regal but I have no interest in driving 45 minutes to those when a decent AMC is just 10 minutes away.

If MP does fluctuate their pricing as was mentioned in the MP thread, I will definitely just move to the AMC plan. $20 or even $30 a month is not bad when you see 3 movies or more a month which I easily do since I got MP.
Old 06-21-18, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Yeah lots of hate for AMC. Whatever.

At least here in D/FW most of them are nice, clean and have good sound and screens. I love being able to order my snacks ahead of time and have them already waiting.

I do love Alamo but the small number of screens and their popularity just isn't Movie Pass friendly. Try getting a good seat at an evening show. Friday and Saturday? Forget it.
Old 06-26-18, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I never understood why is AMC so against Moviepass. AMC is getting paid for the ticket plus they surely have increased concession sales from MP customers.
The only reason is because they beat them to the punch. They wanted to release their own version and MP did it first and under cut them. I think it's hilarious how they are tooting their own horn for having such a great year. I wonder how much of that growth is because of Movie Pass and has nothing to do with AMC.

I'm not sure if I would do this as $20 is not a brainless decision. Would take some math to see if it was worth it or not. For the Summer Season I'm sure it would be but don't think I can justify it for the slower seasons. At $20 I'm probably going to be subscribing during the busy times and unsubscribing during the slow times. I think they'll get some subscribers but I don't think it'll be as profitable as they think it will. At this price point you're going to get a lot more careful consumers who likely did the math and will be heavy users. You won't get many people that will mindlessly subscribe and then not use it like MP does with a $10 price point.
Old 06-26-18, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Before going the route of unsubscribing during slower months, check out the terms and conditions. With MoviePass, when you unsubscribe, you can't re-subscribe for 9 months.
Old 06-26-18, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Joined today.

First month of $21.60, first ticket reserved IMAX 3D Ant Man, $19.19.

The rest of the month is gravy.
Old 06-26-18, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Yeah, I reserved my Ant Man ticket today as well. All of my local theaters are AMC. The ability to see movies again makes this worth it for me.
Old 06-26-18, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I’m assuming AMC doesn’t issue you a “credit card” like MP or Sinemia. Can you sign up at the theater and use the membership right away?
Old 06-26-18, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I joined on the website this AM, and already made a future reservation. I don't know if you could join in person, but what I was told by a CSR last weekend is that once you are a member all you have to do is show up with your membership number and a photo ID and you can make a "reservation" for a show about to start, or you can make a future reservation on the website and presumably in person. I made a reservation for an IMAX show next week.

There is also an AMC app.
Old 06-26-18, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I’m assuming AMC doesn’t issue you a “credit card” like MP or Sinemia. Can you sign up at the theater and use the membership right away?
yeah there's no card. As soon as I joined I was able to reserve a movie.
Old 06-26-18, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

I'll give this a look if/when MP fails completely. I use AMC on occasion as it's 20 miles away.
Old 06-26-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DthRdrX
I'm 41 miles away from the nearest AMC theater. Only Regal and Cinemark here.

Yep. MP twitter account is correct in my case.
One AMC theater and it's clear across town. Haven't been there in 20 years.
Old 06-26-18, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Seems like a running theme here that AMC's aren't a very wide chain for many of you.

I live near 4 AMC's which are within 15 miles. One is about 5-7 miles away. So for me it's not a hassle to visit one.
Old 06-26-18, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

I have a Studio Movie Grill and Regal near me. AMC's are horrible in my area.
Old 06-26-18, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

I have AMC in my area, but due to a number of issues, including location (in bad areas), older/run-down theaters, and concession prices (significantly more expensive than any other chain), I prefer just about anybody else if given the choice.
Old 06-26-18, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Strange how people have such different experiences with AMC's. I love the serve yourself Coke Freestyle machines (unlimited refills!) and the ability to have your stuff waiting for you when you get there. Don't think that's at every location yet though. My preferred location is very nice so I'm pretty happy.
Old 06-27-18, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Used this for the first time tonight. Walked in and they reserved the movie I was seeing with my account number. Even though the process was kind of new to them there were still no issues.
Old 06-27-18, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Strange how people have such different experiences with AMC's.
I think AMC was bought by some Chinese group a few years ago. They've been going thru a market expansion phase since then. In the Phoenix area they've been upgrading theaters. I think most now have recliners and reserved seating.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
I love the serve yourself Coke Freestyle machines (unlimited refills!) and the ability to have your stuff waiting for you when you get there. Don't think that's at every location yet though. My preferred location is very nice so I'm pretty happy.
They recently added those to the theater we usually frequent. Familiar with them but haven't used their's yet.

This theater had 30 screens when it opened. Four large screens directly off the lobby and remaining 26 smaller screens split evenly along two hallways off each side of the lobby. There were two sets of water fountains & restrooms on each side of the lobby. About 5-6 years ago they closed off 13 auditoriums on one side. About the same time they converted one of the large screens to an Imax branded auditorium. Last year they started renovating the theater, adding recliners, etc. Except in the Imax auditorium which kept its seats. All the rest now have fewer seats because the recliners take up more space.

They unfortunately installed those self-serve soda machine where they used to have the drinking fountains on each side of the lobby. To get a drink of water now you have to walk to the other end of the theater building to the only 2 water fountains they have left. They also closed one pair of lobby restrooms and (if those are full, which they usually are after a big screen showing ends) you have to (again) walk to the other end of the theater building.

They should have installed those soda machines on each side of the concession area and kept the fountains and other set of restrooms. Current setup is rather inconvenient for patrons.

Other than that, it's good.

Still not a fan of reserved seating, but the seats are comfortable.

Although I don't know how long that will last. Couple of months ago my son and I went to what I think was the first AMC theater they converted to recliners. About 5-6 years ago, I think. The seats were definitely showing wear and tear, and not very comfortable. I don't think recliners hold up as well as typical theater seats.
Old 07-24-18, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Unlike my MoviePass, I've been pretty much enjoying my A-List! There have been a few technical glitches, but the AMC staff has been helpful when that has happened. (For the record, there were 4 people having issues with MoviePass during my trips to the box office today.)

Today I did find a bug in A-List that there is no remedy for though ... and another reason to complain about AMC's policy of running 20 minutes of previews AT the advertised showtime.

I decided to take in a double feature of two movies that I had seen, but missed the beginning of each when I went to see them the first time. The first show started at 1:40 and had a run time (including credits) of 2:08. The second show started at 3:40 ... With 20 minutes of previews the first show didn't actually start until 2:00 and wouldn't be completely over (last credit rolled) until 4:08.

Since I had seen the show, I ducked out at one point to make my "reservation" for the second show. The app was trying to charge me for the ticket. I went to the box office where they were getting the same result. Finally, one of the managers realized it was because the first movie was not over yet. The system locks you out of overlapping reservations until after the programmed end time of the previous movie.

While I technically would have been fine to get from one show to the next, the system wouldn't let me check in to the 3:40 show until 4:08 -- at which point it wouldn't let me check in because it was more than 15 minutes after showtime.

Moral of the story ... if you are planning a double feature, make sure you plan for a buffer between the programmed end time (including credits and twenty minutes of previews) of the first show and the designated start time of the next show.

I'll hold off on my rant about starting shows 20 minutes LATE for previews, but I do have to ask ... if it is AMC's policy (the box office manager told me this) to start shows twenty minutes late for previews, isn't it a little odd to lock out your A-List app 15 minutes after the advertised start time?
Old 07-24-18, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

20 minutes of commercials and trailers. Sheesh. ArcLight is 3 previews and no in-theater advertisements. Sinemia is my go-to for those nowadays.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.