Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

AMC Stubs A-List -- movie theatre subscription

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-18, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://www.amctheatres.com/amcstubs/alist

See up to 3 movies every week in Dolby Cinema®, IMAX®, RealD® 3D, digital and more for just $19.95/month (+tax).
Come back on Tuesday, June 26 to join! Can’t wait till then? View our Frequently Asked Questions for more details.

A few notes from the FAQ

What is AMC Stubs A-List?
Launching on June 26th, 2018, AMC Stubs A-List will be our newest and best tier in the AMC Stubs loyalty program! See up to 3 movies every week including all our premium formats such as Dolby Cinema ®, IMAX® at AMC®, PRIME at AMC®, RealD® 3D, BigD® and D-Box at any of our U.S locations. Members can make advance reservations online and via the AMC app for free. Not only that, AMC Stubs A-List members also receive benefits of AMC Stubs Premiere complimentary.

What are the benefits of AMC Stubs A-List?
AMC Stubs A-List members receive all the same benefits that an AMC Stubs Premiere member receives with the addition of seeing up to 3 movies per week.

What movies can I see?
Films that are eligible for this A-List benefit are standard 2D, Digital, films as well as films in Dolby Cinema ®, IMAX® at AMC®, PRIME at AMC®, RealD® 3D, BigD® and D-Box. IMAX VR ® and special events such as, but not limited to, fan events, private screenings, movie marathon/double features, Metropolitan Opera, broadcasts of sporting events and other showtimes and events that are priced above standard ticket price admissions (including select showtimes of certain foreign language films) are not eligible and are excluded from the A-List Program. Check individual showtimes for details.

How many reservations can I make?
A-List reservations can be made any time after movie tickets go on sale. Members may not have more than 3 reservations at any time, regardless of whether the showtimes fall within the same week. You will not be able to make a reservation if the start of that movie begins before the previous movie ends.

Do I have to pay online ticketing fees?
AMC Stubs A-List members never pay online ticketing fees!
Old 06-20-18, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk God

re: AMC Stubs A-List -- movie theatre subscription

https://deadline.com/2018/06/moviepa...ks-1202414294/

AMC CEO Adam Aron knows that his theater chain’s new $19.95 monthly movie ticket subscription service Stubs A-List is double the price of MoviePass and that’s because he’s aiming to make the program “beneficial” for “all involved.” A good deal for consumers, but one which won’t rob distribution, studios and exhibition partners like RealD and Imax with a flat-across-the-board price structure.

A higher price is necessary a month, so as not to hemorrhage cash from AMC, a plight Helios & Matheson’s MoviePass is facing as its stock trades at a low $0.32. Not to mention, there are added perks in AMC’s subscription program that MoviePass has been slowed to adapt. Aron also mentioned that those members who sign up now for the June 26 launch of the A-List program will have a guaranteed lock on the monthly rate for the next year. The price of this monthly membership program can fluctuate up or down depending on the marketplace.

“Our program will be profitable while others struggle to be profitable,” said Aron without specifically naming MoviePass.

Aron forecast that for every 1 million A-List subscribers, AMC will generate a run rate of incremental EBIDTA of $15M-$25M per annum. This assume a steady average visit per A-List member of 2.5 visits a month. If their visits drop to 2.25, then incremental EBIDTA could spike by another $10M.

That said, the ramp up of the rewards program will bound to gain traction financially over a few quarters, and there’s bound to be a net $5M-$10M net cost in ticket revenues over the next six months for the world’s largest exhibitor. But if there’s a time to lose such money, it’s now says Aron with the domestic box office at $5.5 billion running 6% ahead of last year’s. “AMC is on fire right now, and that fire is roaring hot,” beamed Aron to analysts. Aron mentioned that AMC has set aside a $5M war chest to digitally market A-List and to target rival exhibitors’ rewards members as well as encouraging the current AMC rewards population to upgrade.

Aron has faith in the economics of his new A list program as his German and UK cinemas already have their own monthly ticket sub programs, which is how he hammered out the numbers on this. Plus, he has experience in spiking attendance with season passes at ski resorts when he was at in the travel business, plus as the co-owner of the 76ers.

Overall, Aron sees A-List as a means to spike attendance among millennials, who’ve fallen off in their movie attendance, relegating their visits strictly to Marvel and big event pictures, and who are attracted by low cost monthly subscription all-you-can-eat incentives like Netflix.

Aron said that the Stubs rewards program is a huge success swelling its membership from 2.5M households two years ago to nearly 15M currently.
Old 06-20-18, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2018/06/imax-ap...ss-1202414298/

IMAX approves the new service
Old 06-20-18, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

If MP goes away, I might look closer at this.
Old 06-20-18, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Man, that might be nice. I so LOVE going to Dolby Cinema (and being able to reserve in advance would be great). If/when MP dies, I will give this a try.
Old 06-20-18, 02:23 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

If MoviePass goes away, I'd probably get this since all I have near me is AMC.
Old 06-20-18, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

If I had a better AMC around me I might consider it. The one closest to me is older and not in the best area and tickets are only $4-6 each. The other 2 AMC is town are 20-30 min away but they are nice with recliners in the theaters, one closest has had outbreaks of bed bugs.
Old 06-20-18, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm
If I had a better AMC around me I might consider it. The one closest to me is older and not in the best area and tickets are only $4-6 each. The other 2 AMC is town are 20-30 min away but they are nice with recliners in the theaters, one closest has had outbreaks of bed bugs.
Yeah, I wish I could get excited about this announcement, but the only AMC theaters around here are two they converted from Carmike dollar theaters to first-run, but slightly discounted AMC theaters. Problem is they did zero upgrades to these theaters after buyout/switch to AMC.
Old 06-20-18, 03:00 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I never understood why is AMC so against Moviepass. AMC is getting paid for the ticket plus they surely have increased concession sales from MP customers.
Old 06-20-18, 03:01 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Mentioned it in the other thread, but my closest AMC sucks, other than the Dolby Cinema screen. I only go there once every 3 months or so, so I have no real need for this. I much prefer MP since I go to the other chains far more often.

Of course, if MP dies out, I might reconsider.
Old 06-20-18, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I never understood why is AMC so against Moviepass. AMC is getting paid for the ticket plus they surely have increased concession sales from MP customers.
They don't want a company becoming a middle man, getting leverage and demanding a bigger cut. And they also didn't want moviegoers to get used to a drastically reduced price (10 bucks a month, all you can watch) and then not go to movies afterwards if/when MP fails.
Old 06-20-18, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Old 06-20-18, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, lots of salt there. Maybe I'm just projecting but I feel like I could read those in a Trump voice and not miss a beat (not anything political, just the massive ego part)
Old 06-20-18, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

I totally read those in Trumps voice
Old 06-20-18, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm 41 miles away from the nearest AMC theater. Only Regal and Cinemark here.

Yep. MP twitter account is correct in my case.
Old 06-20-18, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm going to hold out until Movie Pass completely goes under.

This plan does have some nice perks being able to see Dolby Digital, IMAX, 3D and such, but I usually see only 4-6 movies per month, so it would be a little hard for me to maximize this and try to see 3 per week. But, I read they do allow repeat viewings, which Movie Pass doesn't and you can see 2 movies in 1 day if you wish.
Old 06-20-18, 09:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 679 Likes on 455 Posts

No AMC near me. If MoviePass goes away, I’ll just go back to seeing one or three films a year and waiting for home video/streaming for the rest.
Old 06-20-18, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

All of the AMC Theaters are in San Francisco, CA or near Berkeley, CA, which are about an hour or more from where I currently live.

Seems like a solid deal for those of you who have AMC Theaters close to where you live.
Old 06-21-18, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

The only theater I have locally is an AMC which isn’t ideal but is what it is. Mine actually recently changed their pricing structure so matinees are $4.99 before 4pm and movies after are $6.99. Frankly this doesn’t really seem worth it at $19.95 per month for me. Unless I was seeing at least a movie a week that wasn’t a matinee showing but that doesn’t always happen. Might be useful for certain times of the year more but I don’t know if I’d really go for this.
Old 06-21-18, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

In some ways I think this could help MoviePass. I have MoviePass but used to rarely go to the theater. I initially used the pass a lot but that has went down quite a bit since I first started. I don't think I could justify $20 a month and I don't think most people spend $20 a month on tickets. This might get some of the more frequent movie goers using MoviePass to switch to the premiums of AMC, which in a way MoviePass wants. They don't want people going 10 times a month, they lose too much money. AMC on the other hand could see margins going down because they are not getting full price on tickets like they are with MoviePass. Looking forward to seeing how this plays out.
Old 06-21-18, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I wonder if AMC will publish subscriber numbers like MoviePass did.
Old 06-21-18, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

AMC had an analyst call yesterday where they talked about how they saw it as sustainable and good for growth. The AMC CEO has also said that the 9.99 price point was unsustainable and that's why they went with 19.99.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/amc-the...ass-1529510677
On a conference call with analysts Wednesday, AMC chief executive Adam Aron said the new program “is being done at a sustainable price point where we can be very confident that we will be profitable.”

Mr. Aron said the company is estimating subscribers will see 2.5 movies a month and that the service will generate additional annual profits of between $15 million and $25 million for each million sign-ups.

Due to marketing costs and the fact that initial subscribers will likely be among the heaviest users, AMC expects to take a hit to earnings of between $10 million and $15 million in the next six months, Mr. Aron added. But he said AMC Stubs A-List will likely be “neutral to positive” to earnings in 2019 and “meaningfully accretive” in 2020.
https://deadline.com/2018/06/moviepa...ks-1202414294/
Aron forecast that for every 1 million A-List subscribers, AMC will generate a run rate of incremental EBIDTA of $15M-$25M per annum. This assume a steady average visit per A-List member of 2.5 visits a month. If their visits drop to 2.25, then incremental EBIDTA could spike by another $10M.

That said, the ramp up of the rewards program will bound to gain traction financially over a few quarters, and there’s bound to be a net $5M-$10M net cost in ticket revenues over the next six months for the world’s largest exhibitor. But if there’s a time to lose such money, it’s now says Aron with the domestic box office at $5.5 billion running 6% ahead of last year’s. “AMC is on fire right now, and that fire is roaring hot,” beamed Aron to analysts. Aron mentioned that AMC has set aside a $5M war chest to digitally market A-List and to target rival exhibitors’ rewards members as well as encouraging the current AMC rewards population to upgrade.

Aron has faith in the economics of his new A list program as his German and UK cinemas already have their own monthly ticket sub programs, which is how he hammered out the numbers on this. Plus, he has experience in spiking attendance with season passes at ski resorts when he was at in the travel business, plus as the co-owner of the 76ers.
The one way I can see this being good for moviepass (because bleeding subscribers, even expensive ones, when they're banking everything on growth is not good) is if Regal panics and partners with them instead of doing their own program.
Old 06-21-18, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering that the nearest AMC theater is over 300 miles from me, this service is worth nothing. All it is really attempting to do is take away the better service that I am able to use. Just one more reason to despise AMC.
Old 06-21-18, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Considering that the nearest AMC theater is over 300 miles from me, this service is worth nothing. All it is really attempting to do is take away the better service that I am able to use. Just one more reason to despise AMC.
That's a pretty You-centric view of the program. It's twice the price of Movie Pass and limited to one theater chain. It's a nice alternative for those who go to AMC and like a premium theater experience, but if/ when Movie Pass goes under it will have nothing to do with the announcement of this particular program.
Old 06-21-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm going to hold out until Movie Pass completely goes under.

This plan does have some nice perks being able to see Dolby Digital, IMAX, 3D and such, but I usually see only 4-6 movies per month, so it would be a little hard for me to maximize this and try to see 3 per week. But, I read they do allow repeat viewings, which Movie Pass doesn't and you can see 2 movies in 1 day if you wish.
Damn. I hate AMC. All of the theaters in Springfield are AMC which has led to poor quality since they have no competition. However, they did add an IMAX at one theater and have fixed up another one recently. This plan covers all the things I want but MP doesn’t give me (IMAX, repeat viewings, and even multiple movies in one day) ...

The out of town non-AMC theaters that I visit have low admission prices plus MP doesn’t support one of them ... tempted, so tempted.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.