Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.56%
41.41%
21.88%
5.47%
4.69%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-18, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,188 Likes on 924 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I do think it’s fairly obvious that the deaths aren’t sticking permanently despite what the writers say. I’m just saying it’s interesting to think about what they mean by saying the next film doesn’t do what we think it will. Does that mean the characters who are “dead” come back in different forms/iterations from a different universe and we go into some form of reboot or what? It seems like there’s going to be a creative way that they’ll be handling things rather than just some magical time reversal or something where everything is set back the way it was.
Old 05-13-18, 01:26 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 602 Likes on 345 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I wonder if the characters who were killed off via violence will be treated differently than those who simply vanished due to Thanos' use of the Infinity Gauntlet. Maybe Loki, Gamora, Vision, et al stay dead?
Old 05-13-18, 01:31 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 602 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
BTW, the characters that "died" after Thanos snapped his fingers are "dead" insomuch that they're trapped inside the soul gem. Just saying.
Just saw this. Yeah, that makes sense.
Old 05-13-18, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,188 Likes on 924 Posts

I do sort of think the deaths prior to Thanos snapping his fingers might stick though. Curious as to whether or not that will be the case. Mainly for the sake of the Guardians and Gamora. It would suck losing her but there is Mantis now to fill the female role and they also maybe could incorporate Nebula.
Old 05-13-18, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,059 Likes on 840 Posts

I think it will be Thanos's goal for the next movie to revive her, at least that was hinted at during the finale. Unless they go the time travel route, the other non-snap deaths will stick.

But I'm terrible at this comic book movie business, so *shrug*
Old 05-13-18, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 943 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
So wait, did you watch the movie? Those 4 very obviously were among those that "vanished". Maybe you just forgot.
I remembered Groot and Mantis. I forgot about Quill and Drax.
Old 05-13-18, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Is it weird that I find Mantis more attractive than the actress playing her?
Old 05-13-18, 07:58 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

all the vanishing from the myriad characters was too much for one ten year old in the audience at my screening, he left in tears.
Old 05-13-18, 08:51 PM

Received 228 Likes on 151 Posts

I guess it would have been nice if Earth's mightiest heroes all gathering together to battle for the fate of the galaxy would have included more than zero Latinos and just one Asian character. And the Asian guy isn't really a superhero, he's a servant. With all those people in China, you would think at least one would have developed super powers by now.

Maybe they could at least have had a cameo for Shang Chi? I'm sure he could have whomped Thanos in the head with his nunchucks.
Old 05-13-18, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
I remember the Beauty and the Beast TV series and a lot of women being disappointed when they saw what Ron Perlman looked like without heavy makeup on.

Pretty sure Gene Simmons looks a lot better with tons of makeup on.
Old 05-13-18, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 943 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Probably no more weirder than me finding Nebula hotter than Karen Gillian.
Old 05-13-18, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 127 Likes on 109 Posts

^

While on that subject, always thought “Mystique” was hotter than Rebecca Romaijn.
Old 05-13-18, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
^

While on that subject, always thought “Mystique” was hotter than Rebecca Romaijn.
Well, Mystique is walking around naked most of the time (and RR has a better bod than JLaw).
Old 05-13-18, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 310 Likes on 232 Posts

I think the writers are playing a game of semantics with their talk of deaths. There are those that actually died in combat and those that de-materialized. I also think there will be something that happens where the original Avengers and the characters after them have faint memories of having worked together but at the same time like they never really met.
Old 05-14-18, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,656 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I think it will be Thanos's goal for the next movie to revive her, at least that was hinted at during the finale. Unless they go the time travel route, the other non-snap deaths will stick.

But I'm terrible at this comic book movie business, so *shrug*
I think that'll play a big role in the next one too, as there's really no other way for them to beat Thanos unless he beats himself. I'm still not sure Gamora survives after that, though.

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
I guess it would have been nice if Earth's mightiest heroes all gathering together to battle for the fate of the galaxy would have included more than zero Latinos and just one Asian character. And the Asian guy isn't really a superhero, he's a servant. With all those people in China, you would think at least one would have developed super powers by now.

Maybe they could at least have had a cameo for Shang Chi? I'm sure he could have whomped Thanos in the head with his nunchucks.
Wong isn't a servant in the cinematic universe, is he? No way were they going to introduce a bunch of new superheroes just to represent other minorities in a movie already full of them, and where half of them die. I mean, maybe there could have been some cool cameos or something but that would tick people off and there would be complaints of even more pandering to the Asian/Chinese audience.

Originally Posted by Giles
all the vanishing from the myriad characters was too much for one ten year old in the audience at my screening, he left in tears.
It's real to him, dammit! I'm pretty sure that's how my son would take it too, I mean he loves superheroes, but no way he's waiting a year or so to find out if Spider-man lived.

That would be pretty cool if the departed heroes were replaced by new heroes (Shuri as BP is the only one they kind of set up, and Thor and Cap are still around) even for just one movie as a kind of rebel alliance setup. But I doubt it, I mean, even if you believe they wouldn't bring back BP and Spidey, you can't just leave half the population of Earth dead. Unless you want to turn this into Y the last man as well.

But I'm sure there will be actual casualties in the next one, regardless of who they bring back. Too bad Adam Warlock wasn't set up to play a part yet.

Last edited by fujishig; 05-14-18 at 10:49 AM.
Old 05-14-18, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,780 Likes on 1,108 Posts

A bunch of major characters died in the original "Infinity Gauntlet" comic. I don't know why anyone wonders if they are coming back.

The only question is how they do it.
Old 05-14-18, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Draven
A bunch of major characters died in the original "Infinity Gauntlet" comic. I don't know why anyone wonders if they are coming back.

The only question is how they do it.
I think we're discussing it because the people who made the movie said the deaths are "real" and that we'll be surprised. I don't think anyone is taking them seriously, though.

I still think they should have had a scene where Rhodey was just ticked off at Black Panther. "You had this technology the whole time and instead I have robot legs that barely work? You saw me go down, darnit!"
Old 05-14-18, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the only character in the soul stone is Gamora, given the sacrifice to get the stone and scene at the end with Thanos.

The other characters killed prior to the purge are real deaths, for Loki, Heimdall, and Vision.

And I still think the writers are just saying that the characters deaths are real in the context of the movie universe and not in another dimension or soul stone or something like that. Shenanigans and sacrifice will manage to bring them back; Cap in particular. Especially given that he's been the one in Ultron and now Infinity War saying how he wouldn't sacrifice one individual.
Old 05-14-18, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

The Avengers theme music played on piano and enhanced with visualized graphics

Old 05-14-18, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Vision's death can be reversed pretty easily though, they can even go to the storyline where Vision was rebuilt but had no personality. Loki and Heimdell, even as nerfed as Asgardians are you can probably do a storyline to bring them back if you really wanted to. But that's just the comic reader in me talking, no death seems meaningful in comics because there will always be some writer just itching to bring them back.
Old 05-14-18, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,866 Likes on 2,769 Posts

One of my colleague's roommate worked on Avengers Infinity War and Part 4 as a 2nd AD.

He's barred from saying anything too spoilery, but he did tell my colleague that:

Spoiler:
Hawkeye/Clint does return for Part 4 and it's a very emotional story arc for him.
Old 05-14-18, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DJariya
One of my colleague's roommate worked on Avengers Infinity War and Part 4 as a 2nd AD.

He's barred from saying anything too spoilery, but he did tell my colleague that:

Spoiler:
Hawkeye/Clint does return for Part 4 and it's a very emotional story arc for him.
Spoiler:
Yeah, it's a different costumed persona as well, at least from the set leaks
Old 05-14-18, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Vision's death can be reversed pretty easily though, they can even go to the storyline where Vision was rebuilt but had no personality. Loki and Heimdell, even as nerfed as Asgardians are you can probably do a storyline to bring them back if you really wanted to. But that's just the comic reader in me talking, no death seems meaningful in comics because there will always be some writer just itching to bring them back.
When Vision kind of lost his "color" when the gem was ripped out, I was wondering if they would go with the all white look if he was brought back
Old 05-14-18, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 174 Posts

I caught this again this weekend and noticed that when Thanos and Gamora first encounter Red Skull, Thanos is actually holding his hand out to protect Gamora. It may be just the way he was standing, but it really was a nice touch if not. It makes it all the more obvious that his love for her was real.
Old 05-14-18, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,260 Likes on 970 Posts

I watched it again last night and it was still cool as fuck.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.