Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.56%
41.41%
21.88%
5.47%
4.69%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Disappointed in the lack of The Hulk. I never have been a fan of Mark Ruffalo's take on Bruce Banner but he was the worst here. He came across as way overacting for the majority of his lines and all of his "humorous" dialogue didn't hit. I can't remember one line that created even a small chuckle. He was on my nerves and I just didn't buy the whole, "Hulk is scared to get his ass kicked" excuse to keep us from seeing any Hulk in this. Bah. I missed having the Hulk in this. A lot.
While I thought Ruffalo was one of the weaker links in this, I did like his line after Thor arrives in Wakanda about how everyone was screwed now.
Old 05-01-18, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm genuinely surprised the lowest vote so far in the poll is a single 3 star vote. DVDTalk usually has a few people that are "that guy" to vote 0 stars or the guy who hates comic book movies but watches this anyway knowing they'll hate it.

I'm sure I just jinxed it
You ask, he responds

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I thought the movie was enjoyable and gave it 4 stars on the super hero scale. The banter really made the movie for me, most of the action was sort of wearying and excessive.

Thanos was a good villain but his master plan was idiotic. Their relative powers were very inconsistent.

I thought the first half was much better than the second half. Way too much Lancelot inspired Captain America and his doofus friend Bucky. Part of the reason I dont really enjoy Marvel movies is I dislike Captain America, Iron Man and Bucky.

I did laugh every time Thor called Rocket "rabbit" I like the new Spiderman but dont like the Iron Man Spider suit. I wouldnt watch it again, but it was a good Marvel movie.

I kind of wish Avengers 4 would be the last Superhero movie for a decade or so. We need more original summer movies not a stream of super hero flicks. They are getting numbingly repetitive
Old 05-01-18, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,260 Likes on 970 Posts

Old 05-01-18, 10:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

The score, once again for a Marvel movie, was nothing of note. Why no one can seem to come up with a good Avengers theme is beyond me. The effects were outstanding. The ending was jolting at first (though anyone who really believe all those main characters are dead knows nothing of comics). I really thought they were going to have a substantial death or two but when I saw Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Spider-Man, etc. going, I instantly knew this would all be fixed in the next one. Wonder if it will be explained how the people were picked to live and die?
I really liked the score in the trailers, but I don't remember that theme occurring in the movie. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw a movie with a memorable score. Maybe Inception? It's an element that sadly gets overlooked.
Old 05-01-18, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
You ask, he responds
And he gave it 4 stars! That's saying something
Old 05-01-18, 11:37 AM

Received 4,771 Likes on 3,231 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OrnpSe4OChM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-01-18, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,243 Likes on 762 Posts

^Why do people have to be such assholes?
Old 05-01-18, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OrnpSe4OChM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 05-01-18, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 434 Likes on 295 Posts

Those were meaner than usual geez.
Old 05-01-18, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,059 Likes on 840 Posts

People like talking shit, and it's Twitter.

It's why I hate news reporting on Twitter comments as a real thing.
Old 05-01-18, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Having fun trying to think of Avengers 4 scenarios. Anyone think that the soul stone's requirement of killing the one you love will figure in again? I'm thinking Tony will have to sacrifice Pepper or vice versa. Strange clearly knew Tony had to live...
Old 05-01-18, 01:02 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Having fun trying to think of Avengers 4 scenarios. Anyone think that the soul stone's requirement of killing the one you love will figure in again? I'm thinking Tony will have to sacrifice Pepper or vice versa. Strange clearly knew Tony had to live...
The original Avengers will have to die in order to bring back Spidey, Black Panther, Scarlett Witch and Dr Strange. Seems pretty obvious to me.
Old 05-01-18, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

^Why do people have to be such assholes?
Agreed, though the "clapping when the plane lands" one was pretty funny.
Old 05-01-18, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Tony gets Cap to kill/sacrifice him in some way in order for them to take control of the Soul Stone and save everyone.
Old 05-01-18, 01:36 PM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

You ask, he responds
I did say that I iked the movie, but there are way way too many superhero movies. I would love to see the studio take some risks and try and create new, interesting franchises for big budget movies with interesting and original concepts. I dont think that is unreasonable.

I dont hate Super Hero movies. i have enjoyed many, loved GOTG and Thor: Ragnarok and liked many others. Hated the Captain America movies and last Avengers movies. Dont love Iron Man.

But not liking Captain America and Iron Man does not equate to hating super hero movies, I just feel the genre is oversaturated and a break would be good.
Old 05-01-18, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Too many great lines to repeat (as far as funny goes) but one that got overlooked by the audience because everyone was laughing so hard was when they were making fun of Quill putting on some extra pounds and Quill said something about getting some dumbbells. Rocket then said, "You know you can't eat the dumbbells, right?" (or something like that.)
Yeah, I did notice that Chris Pratt has put on some weight from the first Guardians movie. I think he has a naturally beefy build that can veer into chubby territory if he doesn't have the trainer and chef on standby.
Old 05-01-18, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts

Ruffalo spoiled IW a year ago
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_A0UeT38CLo?start=135" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-01-18, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

This was fine. I feel like it tried to do too much, with too many characters, and it ended up being a little sloppier than Avengers 1 or the Avengers-Lite Civil War.

And I'll be interested to see how many of the non-henchmen characters who died stay dead. My guess: zero.
Old 05-01-18, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
This was fine. I feel like it tried to do too much, with too many characters, and it ended up being a little sloppier than Avengers 1 or the Avengers-Lite Civil War.

And I'll be interested to see how many of the non-henchmen characters who died stay dead. My guess: zero.

I don't think there's any chance that both Tony and Call live. One of them will die. I also don't really think of Loki and Vision as henchman and I think they're dead. Gamora yeah probably will be back.
Old 05-01-18, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Glad to see 2018 has carried over the 2017 rule that it's totally cool and not at all vaguely racist to joke on "white people" all the time.
Old 05-01-18, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Just saw it again. Man, I remember back to when I was a kid and taking my Marvel cards and putting them side by side, making team ups, wondering about battles. Never thought I'd see this kind of thing in a movie. What a great time to be a kid and, like me, a kid at heart!
Old 05-01-18, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,297 Likes on 888 Posts

We know all the people that disappear are coming back but Spider man disappearing was emotional. Holland did really good there.
The Spider-Man "death" was really the only emotional one. I do have to admit that I thought it was going to go another direction though ... when Peter Parker said he didn't "feel so good" (or however he said it), I thought he was going to survive, but literally get sick (vomit) from the stress. Very glad they didn't go that route though as a laugh at that point would have been bad form.

Somebody asked about the 3D ... I saw it in 3D for my second viewing and I have to say it was damned good. This film is very visual and cinematic and the 3D conversion just enhances it. I almost found it a bit easier to follow some of the action sequences because of the "breaking up" of the images (if that makes any sense).
Old 05-01-18, 10:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was the most fun I've had going to a movie in a while. I was skeptical that so many characters could fit in one movie, but the Russos made it work. I loved the character interactions, the humor (though a few lines got drowned out by the audience laughing) and the pace. Oh, and Mantis' trampoline act.
I thought they also did a great job with Thanos, making him one of the most compelling villains so far in the MCU.
Old 05-01-18, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolf359
My thought is that Thanos got the "requirement" wrong... and why he will ultimately fail. The "requirement of a soul for a soul" was a test of hubris. It wasn't supposed to be that any soul would do... it was supposed to be the soul of whomever was seeking the stone.

Or not.
Old 05-01-18, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Glad to see 2018 has carried over the 2017 rule that it's totally cool and not at all vaguely racist to joke on "white people" all the time.

You guys are the majority in power -- you can take it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.