Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
26.56%
41.41%
21.88%
5.47%
4.69%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-18, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I think the arrival in New York City would have at least made the 11 o'clock news.
It did. Wanda and Vision saw it on the news in Scotland. A few hours later, they arrived at Avenger's HQ and piss off Thunderbolt Ross, who probably issues orders to have them detained and then refuses to give any info to stragglers that might show up, like Hawkeye and Ant-Man, who would, at that point, have no way of knowing that the team had moved on to Wakanda (and even if they did, had know way to know how to enter Wakanda).
Old 04-30-18, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts
Re: Avengers: Infinity War (Russo Bros., 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

On IMDB, there are set photos from the next movie and it showed:

Spoiler:
Rogers clean shaven, short hair and in the bright blue Cap suit.

Thor with his long hair back

and Tony with a little bit bleached hair.

Ant man was also present.

So the time travel element is definitely there it appears.
Old 04-30-18, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya
On IMDB, there are set photos from the next movie and it showed:

Spoiler:
Rogers clean shaven, short hair and in the bright blue Cap suit.

Thor with his long hair back

and Tony with a little bit bleached hair.

Ant man was also present.

So the time travel element is definitely there it appears.
Not only that, but IIRC...
Spoiler:
they appear to be standing on a street littered with debris looking very similar to the Battle of New York from the first movie.

A few possibilities (there are certainly more that probably make more sense)...

1)
Spoiler:
I'd read a theory years ago, after the release of Ant-Man, suggesting that Ant-Man (either Pym or Lang) has been in every single MCU movie made, just never full-sized so that we could see him. This is interesting/amusing, but unlikely, since the timeline doesn't have Lang becoming Ant-Man until after Ultron

2)
Spoiler:
Is it possible that Lang learns enough about the quantum realm in AM&W to travel back in time on his own? Seems possible, but, again, unlikely

3)
Spoiler:
Did Dr. Strange see a future in which Ant-Man had been sent back to somehow warn the Avengers? Did he then travel to Earth long enough to brief Lang and send him back (via the Eye) before returning to Titan for the battle with Thanos he had also foreseen? Seems a bit more likely than 1 & 2

4)
Spoiler:
The dialog between Thanos and the child Gamora after the wipeout event seems important. "What did it cost?" "Everything." So maybe he has some remorse and actually participates in undoing what was done. biggest problem here is the apparent damage to the gauntlet.
Old 04-30-18, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Age of Ultron has the birth of Vision, if I remember correctly, so maybe that might help explain what his character is to a newbie?
The first Guardians of the Galaxy. Just watched most of it last night. You may walk away from it with some different ideas about Infinity War. Seriously.
Old 04-30-18, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a theory that anyone who's actually had previous encounters with Infinity Stones, either controlling them, being controlled, or surviving them, will play a part in the resolution of the next movie. This includes Gamora, the rest of the Guardians, Dr. Strange and Loki.

The biggest clue to me is when Mantis
Spoiler:
is on Thanos' shoulders on Titan, she says "He is in anguish" and they cut back to his distraught face, not because of the current fight, but because Mantis' touch is amplifying his deep feelings of guilt for what he did to Gamora.

This could absolutely spin in a version of how The Infinity Gauntlet was resolved in the books.
Old 04-30-18, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
There’s no need to see Ultron prior to this is there? No ties or anything? I’m sure Civil War and Black Panther is all you need...
Thor Ragnarok... this one picks up where that one ends.
Old 04-30-18, 07:59 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I saw this on Saturday and it was amazing. Definitely one of the greatest audience participation experiences I ever had. Huge gasps when Tony got stabbed and I was like, wow they really did it and then fit a bit cheapened when it was a fake out. Not exactly sure how Tony fixed a massive stab wound.

Even if the crumble deaths at the end will be reversed, it was still very emotionally impactful seeing the reactions of the survivors when their loved ones disintegrated.

One of the most intense scenes that I see no one talking about is when Thanos tortures Nebula to break Gamora's will. Holy crap, he had her nearly completely disassembled suspended in air. Even though it meant the death of millions or billions, their resolve failed them. I was especially surprised that Strange gave the stone for Tony's live. Maybe it was all part of a plan, but he seem to have a real emotional struggle. I was surprised that the film was heavy on Dr. Strange. I figured he would be more in the background.

Biggest cheer in my group was when Steve Rogers first appeared. Just wish we could give him back his original shield. That was part of his identity and allowed for some cool battle tactics.

No one sad that the Collector is dead too? lol
Old 04-30-18, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

^ I doubt The Collector is dead. That scene he was in was just a projection. Unless the MCU decided to make The Collector mortal -- he's always been a cosmic being in the comics. The Grandmaster (Jeff Goldblum's character in Ragnarok) is his brother and he's a cosmic being, too.
Old 04-30-18, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so... this gave me some time to process. I loved the film. it was great but...

the fact that there were no "real" significant deaths pissed me off. Again, i wanted an A list team player to die a heroic death. None did. The ones that vanished we know are coming back as their movies were already announced so its no surprise they arent "permanently" dead.
Old 04-30-18, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
Ok so... this gave me some time to process. I loved the film. it was great but...

the fact that there were no "real" significant deaths pissed me off. Again, i wanted an A list team player to die a heroic death. None did. The ones that vanished we know are coming back as their movies were already announced so its no surprise they arent "permanently" dead.
If that was going to happen, it'd be in #4 and be one of the ones that didn't vanish. Probably Rocket .

I do wonder if they'll be playing with time and undo some of the events of Ragnarok.
Old 04-30-18, 09:04 AM

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706

Yeah I would have liked it better if Tony had really died. The impact and wondering who will pick up the mantle would have been enormous.

Still, the death of all Asgardians was significant. Guess that includes Valkyrie? Thor has now lost everyone even his people. Did his sister really die? I thought the last Thor movie left it kinda open that she could return but Thor mentioned that he lost his sister too.
Old 04-30-18, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

My wife and I were discussing Thano's final solution. Did the gauntlet pull a Monkey Fist when he snapped and randomly half of the universe disappeared or was it half of each world that disappeared? If he got Monkey Fisted, his whole plan could be ruined, if he did not than some of the disappearances are off. Groot and Drax are not an overpopulated species and Quill is 1 of kind.
Old 04-30-18, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Saw this last night and thought it was amazing. The writers did a fantastic job developing Thanos and giving him more dimension that just "I'm a bad guy who wants to destroy everything". Unfortunately the "time travel" thing seems to be the only angle to play now and I suspect they'd re-run that scenario, hypothetically, for the 1 in 14,000,506 shot they have at stopping Thanos.

The credit scene -- what symbol did Nick text? Was that the official "Avengers" logo?
Old 04-30-18, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Saw this last night and thought it was amazing. The writers did a fantastic job developing Thanos and giving him more dimension that just "I'm a bad guy who wants to destroy everything". Unfortunately the "time travel" thing seems to be the only angle to play now and I suspect they'd re-run that scenario, hypothetically, for the 1 in 14,000,506 shot they have at stopping Thanos.

The credit scene -- what symbol did Nick text? Was that the official "Avengers" logo?
Spoiler:
Captain Marvel's symbol

Old 04-30-18, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I don't think the people that disappeared necessarily died, but were reverted back to a certain time and place in the universe where they had not crossed paths with the original Avengers.
Old 04-30-18, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

So it was a great flick but I definitely need to watch it again due to the amount of "things" going on.

I'm also wondering if Thanos will temporarily make Hulk is pet (literally put him on a leash) like he did in the comics - this could lead to the Hulk finally going full rage (or do we consider that as already taken place due to stark busting out the hulk buster in AOU?).

Glad they really fleshed out Thanos instead of just making him one dimensional.
Old 04-30-18, 10:11 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

loved this movie. The best parts were definitely Thor/The Guardians and The Holmes
We know all the people that disappear are coming back but Spider man disappearing was emotional. Holland did really good there.

Only complaint I can muster right now is I don't remember the music been anything memorable. But maybe Im just remembering it wrong. Definitely want to see it again

Also it will suck a bit watching Thor Ragnarok again since now we know most of them are goners
Old 04-30-18, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the cheering parts were Captain America appearing and Thor joining the battle.
Old 04-30-18, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusm
If he got Monkey Fisted
Reported
Old 04-30-18, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Old 04-30-18, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32

Still, the death of all Asgardians was significant. Guess that includes Valkyrie? Thor has now lost everyone even his people. Did his sister really die? I thought the last Thor movie left it kinda open that she could return but Thor mentioned that he lost his sister too.
There are still Asgardians. It was explicitly stated that Thanos killed half of the people on Thor's ship, as per his MO. What was not stated was who got away or how.

Since Hela was on Asgard when it exploded, and her power comes from Asgard, she is presumed dead. But of course, in the MCU, death is relative.
Old 04-30-18, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32

I was especially surprised that Strange gave the stone for Tony's live. Maybe it was all part of a plan, but he seem to have a real emotional struggle. I was surprised that the film was heavy on Dr. Strange. I figured he would be more in the background.
Strange explicitly stated earlier that if it came to it, he would let Tony and Peter die to preserve the safety of the stone. So why did he then give up the stone to save Tony? Because he looked into the future at all of the possible outcomes, and there was only one situation in which they won. Obviously, Tony was key to that scenario, so Strange gave up the stone to save him.
Old 04-30-18, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
There are still Asgardians. It was explicitly stated that Thanos killed half of the people on Thor's ship, as per his MO. What was not stated was who got away or how.
I didn't get the feeling that anyone "got away", I thought he had killed half and spared half. Then after Loki's misfire, he got pissed off and destroyed the ship. Maybe Thor commanded Valkyrie to gather the survivors and lead them away in the moments immediately before the start of IW. If so, could he use the Bifrost to summon her to join the battle in A4? Would Thanos spare all of the surviving Asgardians since they had already been subjected to his 50% eradication?
Old 04-30-18, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

A few points:

Time travel is an easy explanation everyone is expecting, but everyone's death could just as easily be rolled into ownership of the Soul gem. Let's also not overlook alternate universes/dimensions, as the concept of the multiverse was brought up during Dr. Strange's movie.

Food for thought. The Ancient One was unable to use the Time Stone to see past the point of her death. Dr. Strange was able to see 14+ million possibilities despite all of them occurring after he vanished. This is not a plot hole.
Old 04-30-18, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Strange explicitly stated earlier that if it came to it, he would let Tony and Peter die to preserve the safety of the stone. So why did he then give up the stone to save Tony? Because he looked into the future at all of the possible outcomes, and there was only one situation in which they won. Obviously, Tony was key to that scenario, so Strange gave up the stone to save him.
I thought it was pretty easy to take that even further. Strange saw the 1 in 14 billion (or whatever the # was) paths to success. And he started the chain of events to get there. It started with giving up the stone. Exactly what he saw is what's going to happen now. Pretty sure Part 2 doesn't end with the good guys losing.

Very courageous way to end Part 1, though. Not often do you get a chance to do that.

Watching everyone team up was great. As usual with the MCU, the action sequences takes a back seat to the storytelling.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.