Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ready Player One (Spielberg, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Ready Player One (Spielberg, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
5.80%
15.94%
46.38%
14.49%
7.25%
2.90%
1.45%
1.45%
2.90%
0%
0%
What are you high?
1.45%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Ready Player One (Spielberg, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-18, 09:21 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: Ready Player One (Spielberg, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Is Akira straight white guy stuff?
Old 10-05-18, 09:23 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 841 Posts

Hot take, Dr!
Old 10-05-18, 11:21 AM
Banned

I saw fuckin Hello Kitty in there at one point.

And Tashiro Mifune evidently, although I didn’t spot him.
Old 10-07-18, 03:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Even though I disagree I was pretty much understanding you up until that last part. What does masculinity have anything to do with it? In fact I'd argue the opposite that a lot of the culture that was celebrated was geek culture. Almost the opposite of masculinity. In fact the whole movie goes out of it's way in showing that anybody can be brave and make a difference and it doesn't matter what you look like in the real world. You can be a girl playing a big ugly troll thing.
The gate keeping done in geek communities by toxic males is well documented. Gamer gate, comics gate, men freaking out about women Ghostbusters and all-women screenings of Wonder Woman, etc. RPO the book popularized this way of thinking and while the movie isn’t as egregious, it’s still baked in.
Old 10-07-18, 06:00 PM
Banned

RPO popularized it? Hardly. It’s a much older phenomenon than the book.

It shouldn’t be overlooked that girls do this to themselves. I’ve got two elementary school daughters. All their friends say “video games are for boys.”
Old 10-07-18, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't quite understand the leap Supermarket was making either between Ready Player One and those awful trends as well as the masculinity comment, but reading this Vox article helped me understand to an extent where he's coming from.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/3/2...gate-explained

That said, I don't agree at all with making the connection between what I find is generally harmless fan service in geekdom in both the book and movie to any sort of foundation to the misogynistic exclusions referenced. And yeah, I don't think RPO itself hardly had the reach to popularize anything of the sort.

Last edited by fumanstan; 10-07-18 at 09:57 PM.
Old 10-07-18, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Yeah it's definitely a bit of a stretch. Most of that stuff all definitely came to a head many years prior to RPO.

The internet being a ubiquitiously toxic shithole was and still is the biggest part of it. Heh.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-07-18 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-07-18, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 964 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I didn't quite understand the leap Supermarket was making either between Ready Player One and those awful trends as well as the masculinity comment, but reading this Vox article helped me understand to an extent where he's coming from.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/3/2...gate-explained

That said, I don't agree at all with making the connection between what I find is generally harmless fan service in geekdom in both the book and movie to any sort of foundation to the misogynistic exclusions referenced. And yeah, I don't think RPO itself hardly had the reach to popularize anything of the sort.
Okay that does explain the harshness in the comments. I honestly am not in with that community at all so wasn't really aware of gamergate. I know that some "gamers" (read as a small subsect of crappy teenage boys) have been unbelievably harsh against women in the community or speaking about the community. But also on the other hand that article may explain the incredibly tiny backlash (I wasn't even aware of any backlash) of RPO but it makes unbelievably giant leaps in assumption and logic to come to the conclusion that it does on the RPO movie.

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The gate keeping done in geek communities by toxic males is well documented. Gamer gate, comics gate, men freaking out about women Ghostbusters and all-women screenings of Wonder Woman, etc. RPO the book popularized this way of thinking and while the movie isn’t as egregious, it’s still baked in.
Again I'm claiming ignorance to the subject of gamergate and the like but from my limited view it doesn't seem like the public is aware of a lot of these issues. The movie itself certainly didn't portray that message at all and I stand by my previous statement that it was a very inclusive movie. And from reading the couple of articles on gamergate, RPO and Armada have nothing to do with the toxic fanbase.
Old 01-02-19, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 351 Likes on 270 Posts

Just saw this and I loved it. I don’t play video games anymore (last system I owned was the N64), but I love pop culture references.

Goldeneye is my favorite game, so it was cool to hear it referenced in the movie.