Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Ready Player One (Spielberg, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Ready Player One (Spielberg, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
5.80%
15.94%
46.38%
14.49%
7.25%
2.90%
1.45%
1.45%
2.90%
0%
0%
What are you high?
1.45%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Ready Player One (Spielberg, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-18, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Ready Player One (Spielberg, 2018) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by TGM
very cool seeing all the pop culture references, but other than that, couldn't care less about any of the characters or their predicament.
It just didn't connect with me either.

Big fan of the young SS, but this later-day model misses more often than not.
Old 09-15-18, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Remember when the corporate bad guy had people talking in his ear so he could pretend to be familiar with a bunch of pop culture references and impress that kid? It's ironic because the movie feels like it was made by someone doing that very thing.
Old 10-04-18, 02:31 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
This was my concern, that the movie would be a big budget blockbuster episode of Family Guy essentially, where the references are the full extent of the content.
I finally bothered to watch this and it was even worse than I feared. First, it did feel like a big budget Family Guy (but devoid of humor). Second, the script was amateurish. I didn’t give a single shit about anyone in the entire film. And the ending sucked. Either delete the Oasis or give everyone communal control over it.

This movie was like a poor man’s The Matrix, without any thought or message beyond “go outside every few days and make some friends”.

And probably the most egregious thing about it was how it perpetuated the idea that fandom is all about remembering tiresome minutiae instead of learning the lessons that the stories we love try to teach us. It’s exactly that mindset that has turned so much of modern day pop culture into a stew of toxic masculinity.
Old 10-04-18, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

And probably the most egregious thing about it was how it perpetuated the idea that fandom is all about remembering tiresome minutiae instead of learning the lessons that the stories we love try to teach us. It’s exactly that mindset that has turned so much of modern day pop culture into a stew of toxic masculinity.
Interesting, I don't think the movie perpetuates that (and if anything does the opposite, given the IOI researchers failures by doing just that), of course I also never even considered learning lessons as a part of fandom at all.
Old 10-04-18, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 643 Likes on 473 Posts

This movie was like a poor man’s The Matrix, without any thought or message beyond “go outside every few days and make some friends”.
To be honest, that's pretty much the (equally superficial and condescending) takeaway from the book.

I think both the book AND the movie could've gone much further down this rabbit hole, since it pretty much is reflective of what a large swath of present-day fandom has been reduced to. I had to assume the author and the filmmakers simply felt the intended YA audience could only process something more easily digested?
Old 10-04-18, 11:55 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Supermarket, you nailed it. These days people accept a YouTube video where someone points out all the Easter eggs in Incredibles 2 as film criticism; and those who author those videos as film experts.
Old 10-04-18, 12:20 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 848 Posts

Hey now. You leave Kroger out of this!
Old 10-04-18, 12:20 PM

Received 1,985 Likes on 1,169 Posts

I agree, too. Good job, Supermarket!
Old 10-04-18, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't know, he seems a little Whole Foods-ish to me.
Old 10-04-18, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,567 Posts

It's a generation raised (largely because of deregulation) on media who's sole purpose was to sell products (ie: toys). There's a reason nobody remembers the lessons that He-man or GI Joe taught them (besides how to stop a bloody nose because knowing is half the battle) but everyone remembers the toys.
Old 10-04-18, 01:31 PM
Banned

To be fair, The Shining and War Games weren’t trying to sell a product.
Old 10-04-18, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
To be fair, The Shining and War Games weren’t trying to sell a product.
Oh, I dunno, once they repair the broken doors and clean the carpets, the Overlook Hotel would be an awesome place to spend a winter.

Old 10-04-18, 02:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Interesting, I don't think the movie perpetuates that (and if anything does the opposite, given the IOI researchers failures by doing just that), of course I also never even considered learning lessons as a part of fandom at all.
Despite having teams of experts, IOI loses because they don’t truly love Halliday or the ‘80s enough to dig deep enough into the minutiae of his life or the era. The entire plot revolves around Wade and Artemis making inscrutable connections between Halliday’s life and pop culture through their deep immersion into his life, while simultaneously somehow missing all the messages of those movies/comics/shows. The film and the book glorify being the kind of pedantic fan that gets upset when something is mildly off in continuity, and its solution to the problem of people being literally addicted to the game world is to just turn it off twice a week.
Old 10-04-18, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 983 Likes on 712 Posts

and its solution to the problem of people being literally addicted to the game world is to just turn it off twice a week.
Imagine if Epic tried that with Fortnite
Old 10-04-18, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,034 Likes on 818 Posts

I found this highly entertaining, that's about where it begins and ends for me.
Old 10-04-18, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Despite having teams of experts, IOI loses because they don’t truly love Halliday or the ‘80s enough to dig deep enough into the minutiae of his life or the era. The entire plot revolves around Wade and Artemis making inscrutable connections between Halliday’s life and pop culture through their deep immersion into his life, while simultaneously somehow missing all the messages of those movies/comics/shows. The film and the book glorify being the kind of pedantic fan that gets upset when something is mildly off in continuity, and its solution to the problem of people being literally addicted to the game world is to just turn it off twice a week.
Well, I think IOI loses because they just know facts and not the actual reasons and motivations behind things like easter eggs. If there are life lessons and messages to be learned, I think Wade and Artemis see Halliday's real life connection to Kira as something special in the world that helps them understand the need to break from the game and that there's a meaningful existence in reality. That said, I also wasn't looking for or expecting some sort of "solution" to the Oasis since it's existance was never the ultimate evil and problem in the world they live in.

Originally Posted by RichC2
I found this highly entertaining, that's about where it begins and ends for me.
I should say I feel the same. I wasn't looking for or expecting some sort of life lesson or message from the movie, so I guess if someone doesn't like the movie because it didn't teach children to not be addicted to the internet, so be it But what do I know, I work at a video game company

Last edited by fumanstan; 10-04-18 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-04-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

Nickelodeon has a "Worldwide Day of Play" every year where they encourage kids to turn the TV off and leave the house--as if there aren't enough other programming alternatives to keep the little brats glued to their screens. It pisses me off because it invariably falls on a Saturday and I have to do without Power Rangers for a week.
Old 10-04-18, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Recently saw RPO on Blu. As an '80's kid and a fan of video games, movies, music (especially '80's), and pop culture in general - this movie was amazing. I typically don't like obvious CGI in films, but since the movie was essentially one long video game (for the most part) it worked great here.

The story was interesting as well. This is definitely a movie I will need to revisit several times, to take it all in. Kudos & well-done.

Here's an interesting list of some/most?! of the pop culture references - many of which I missed, since everything went by so fast:

http://www.vulture.com/2018/03/here-...layer-one.html

Nope the above list doesn't include a Krull (1983 sci-fi/fantasy film) reference; there was a scene in RPO when a character used the "Glaive" (the five pointed throwing weapon, featured on the film's poster) to fight someone.
Old 10-04-18, 07:36 PM
Banned

I noticed a thank you in the credits to the estate of Toshiro Mifune. But I’ll be damned if I saw him amidst the muddle.
Old 10-04-18, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 518 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDude
...there was a scene in RPO when a character used the "Glaive" (the five pointed throwing weapon, featured on the film's poster) to fight someone.
Haha, we streamed this a few weeks ago and when I saw that I blurted out "Whoa, the Glaive!" then my wife rolled her eyes at me.
Old 10-05-18, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 972 Likes on 679 Posts

I finally bothered to watch this and it was even worse than I feared. First, it did feel like a big budget Family Guy (but devoid of humor). Second, the script was amateurish. I didn’t give a single shit about anyone in the entire film. And the ending sucked. Either delete the Oasis or give everyone communal control over it.

Even though I disagree I was pretty much understanding you up until that last part. What does masculinity have anything to do with it? In fact I'd argue the opposite that a lot of the culture that was celebrated was geek culture. Almost the opposite of masculinity. In fact the whole movie goes out of it's way in showing that anybody can be brave and make a difference and it doesn't matter what you look like in the real world. You can be a girl playing a big ugly troll thing.
Old 10-05-18, 04:55 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Even though I disagree I was pretty much understanding you up until that last part. What does masculinity have anything to do with it? In fact I'd argue the opposite that a lot of the culture that was celebrated was geek culture. Almost the opposite of masculinity. In fact the whole movie goes out of it's way in showing that anybody can be brave and make a difference and it doesn't matter what you look like in the real world. You can be a girl playing a big ugly troll thing.
Old 10-05-18, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,024 Likes on 1,567 Posts

As far as what you look like in the real world, I did find it funny that Art3mis is freaked out about meeting in the real world because she's ashamed of her scar, and it's basically the equivalent of putting glasses on a hot girl and calling her a nerd because she wasn't exactly hideous.
Old 10-05-18, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,034 Likes on 818 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
As far as what you look like in the real world, I did find it funny that Art3mis is freaked out about meeting in the real world because she's ashamed of her scar, and it's basically the equivalent of putting glasses on a hot girl and calling her a nerd because she wasn't exactly hideous.
I didn't even notice the scar the first time I saw her and was mildly confused by all that.
Old 10-05-18, 09:04 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 848 Posts

I don't 100% agree with this, but this is a decent video essay on some of the issues people have with RPO; both the film and the book. Something worth considering, anyway.

Quote from the end:
There is nothing inherently wrong with loving a piece of pop culture. Especially if it resonates with you on some deeper level, and you can read Ready Player One or watch the movie for it just being awesome too. Sure. But bear in mind that the world of this story is not one in which gamers simply get to play a cool game, but a world in which gamers tell others that they aren't as cool as they are. Women are Xbox achievements. And only straight white guy stuff matters. It's not inclusive if it's a world custom designed for the kind of gamer who tirelessly watches the gate.

Last edited by Dan; 10-05-18 at 09:14 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.