Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Silver Surfer Movie -- News, rumors, etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Silver Surfer Movie -- News, rumors, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-18, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts
re: Silver Surfer Movie -- News, rumors, etc.

Originally Posted by nando820
wow didn't know Silver Surfer has been in the works since 2003. Damn I was still living with my parents back then
I swear I saw something when I was a kid in Starlog or some comics magazine about a Silver Surfer movie being developed in the early 1980's. I can only imagine what a dog turd that would have been.
Old 12-21-18, 07:53 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts
Re: Silver Surfer Movie -- News, rumors, etc.

If they end up doing this, I wonder if his past relationship with Marvel could actually get him the gig:

Ant-Man co-writer Adam McKay has another Marvel character he'd like to tackle: Silver Surfer. He shared his wish during an episode of MTV's Happy Sad Confused podcast with Josh Horowitz while promoting his new Dick Cheney film Vice.

"Silver Surfer is the one I want to do, man. I would do anything to do Silver Surfer because, visually, you could do what the Wachowskis did with Speed Racer with the Silver Surfer," McKay said. "At the same time, there’s a great emotional story in there, man, where Norrin Radd [Silver Surfer] has to make the choice to save his planet. That would be the one, but I think Fox owns the rights ... .”

When Horowitz informed McKay that Marvel's Fox-licensed characters would soon be on the table for the Marvel Cinematic Universe following Disney's impending acquisition of 21st Century Fox, McKay noted, "Alright, I’ll call [Fox Film chief] Emma Watts; I’ll call [Marvel Studios head] Kevin Feige. I think you’ve just created the Silver Surfer movie. I think after Dick Cheney and economic collapse, maybe I need a little break.”

The Silver Surfer first appeared on the big screen in 2007's Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer and was created by Jack Kirby in 1966.

McKay also discussed how he joined Ant-Man. Back in May 2014. McKay was in talks to replace Edgar Wright as director on the film, only to abruptly pass. Instead, McKay opted to co-write the final version of the script with Ant-Man star Paul Rudd. He said he passed on directing because of his friendship with Wright.

McKay praised working with Feige, relaying an anecdote about Feige’s response to McKay’s pitch for what eventually became Ant-Man’s duel between Ant-Man and Falcon/Sam Wilson (Anthony Mackie) at the Avengers’ facility in upstate New York.

"I was like, ‘Kevin, I wrote this crazy thing; you probably won’t want to do it.’ And he was like, ‘Well, let me read it.’ And he read it and was like, ‘That’s awesome. We’re doing it.’ He just had that sense about him," McKay said. "Yeah, what a fun world over there; I would definitely go back there and work. That was a career highlight. And then I got a big, giant Ant-Man poster signed by Stan Lee out of it. So, basically...the end.”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...2sM02Qka2pLceY
Old 12-21-18, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Not really familiar with the guy, but if he is passionate about it then he could hopefully do the Surfer justice. I hope it happens.
Old 12-21-18, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A new Silver Surfer, eh?
Not a bad idea.
Was one of my favorite characters from Marvel's Old School.
Old 12-21-18, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
I swear I saw something when I was a kid in Starlog or some comics magazine about a Silver Surfer movie being developed in the early 1980's. I can only imagine what a dog turd that would have been.
I remember reading about it in 1980. Lee was talking it up like it was a done deal/sure thing. I know he had that habit, going back to development deal in the sixties, but this had me totally expecting it- even though at the time I didn't know zip about the character other than being familiar with his name and design.

Spoiler for size

Spoiler:
Old 12-21-18, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
I remember reading about it in 1980. Lee was talking it up like it was a done deal/sure thing. I know he had that habit, going back to development deal in the sixties, but this had me totally expecting it- even though at the time I didn't know zip about the character other than being familiar with his name and design.

Spoiler for size

Spoiler:
It must have been a different magazine, as I would have, um, definitely remembered that one.
Old 12-21-18, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

If it was in Steranko's mag, it was probably showing up in news items in Starlog, Fantastic Films, Questar, Cinefantastique, and others too.

My point was just that I vividly remember reading about it as far back as late spring/ early summer of 1980.
Old 12-21-18, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
If it was in Steranko's mag, it was probably showing up in news items in Starlog, Fantastic Films, Questar, Cinefantastique, and others too.

My point was just that I vividly remember reading about it as far back as late spring/ early summer of 1980.
I remember it, too, -it was Olivia Newton-John's boyfriend and/or manager who was pushing it back when she her career was taking off.