Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 75th Annual Golden Globe Awards Ceremony -- movie edition -- 1/7/18

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The 75th Annual Golden Globe Awards Ceremony -- movie edition -- 1/7/18

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-18, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: The 75th Annual Golden Globe Awards Ceremony -- movie edition -- 1/7/18

Oprah sounded like she was a sentence away from announcing her candidacy for 2020.

A good joke would have been someone getting mad that "once again not ONE woman nominated in the best actor category".

I agree with just about everything that was said tonight, even if a lot of it was poured on pretty thick and a little self serving. The one thing I don't agree with is pay inequality, at least in Hollywood. You get paid in movies precisely what you are worth. When Jennifer Lawrence gets paid 20 million and a male costar gets 100 grand, where is the pay inequality there? Sexism exists at a systemic level in our world, but when it comes to pay in movies not even even sexism can chip away at the role of the almighty dollar. NOTHING in Hollywood trumps cold hard cash. If you put asses in the seats you get paid for exactly how many asses you can put in the seats.

Anyways, I thought Seth's monologue was the highlight of the show.
Old 01-08-18, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Surprised to see Kirk Douglas with his daughter-in-law Catherine Zeta Jones on stage. While he look frail and in wheelchair I have to admire his longevity and spirit.
Old 01-08-18, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
Oprah sounded like she was a sentence away from announcing her candidacy for 2020.

A good joke would have been someone getting mad that "once again not ONE woman nominated in the best actor category".

I agree with just about everything that was said tonight, even if a lot of it was poured on pretty thick and a little self serving. The one thing I don't agree with is pay inequality, at least in Hollywood. You get paid in movies precisely what you are worth. When Jennifer Lawrence gets paid 20 million and a male costar gets 100 grand, where is the pay inequality there? Sexism exists at a systemic level in our world, but when it comes to pay in movies not even even sexism can chip away at the role of the almighty dollar. NOTHING in Hollywood trumps cold hard cash. If you put asses in the seats you get paid for exactly how many asses you can put in the seats.

Anyways, I thought Seth's monologue was the highlight of the show.
Except that Jennifer Lawrence got paid less than Jeremy Renner (WTF?!?) in American Hustle despite having a Best Actress Oscar and headlining multiple blockbusters. Not to mention then 4-time Oscar nominee Amy Adams also getting less than Renner.
Old 01-08-18, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

The Oprah campaign just got its first celebrity endorsement:

Old 01-08-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
The Oprah campaign just got its first celebrity endorsement:

1) She's not running
2) Old photo
Old 01-08-18, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 556 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
1) She's not running
2) Old photo
Not to mention he's been a big name in Hollywood for like 30 years so you can find a picture with him and pretty much everyone that was famous.
Old 01-08-18, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
Except that Jennifer Lawrence got paid less than Jeremy Renner (WTF?!?) in American Hustle despite having a Best Actress Oscar and headlining multiple blockbusters. Not to mention then 4-time Oscar nominee Amy Adams also getting less than Renner.
They should maybe try blaming their management. I would say that when it comes down to negotiating pay for a role its between them and the production company. At the end of the day the actress signed off on it. If they had such a problem at the time they could simply have said. "find someone else."

Yep. Complain after you have banked the check.
Old 01-08-18, 04:09 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
Not to mention he's been a big name in Hollywood for like 30 years so you can find a picture with him and pretty much everyone that was famous.
Yep. A quick google search shows pics of him with Trump, Obama, Hillary, etc.
Old 01-08-18, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by james2025a
They should maybe try blaming their management. I would say that when it comes down to negotiating pay for a role its between them and the production company. At the end of the day the actress signed off on it. If they had such a problem at the time they could simply have said. "find someone else."

Yep. Complain after you have banked the check.
Dude...are you that naive as to think that it has not been a struggle for actresses who put asses in seats to get paid anywhere near the same as their male counterpart in a film? It is no secret that while plenty of dudes were getting 20m a picture (now they ask for less but a piece of the back end) it was a struggle for actresses with confirmed blockbusters on their CV to get anywhere near 8-12+ million a movie.

It is cute that you think Reese Witherspoon did not have speak up a bit louder when she was a hot commodity in film (her Legally Blonde / Sweet Home Alabama days) to get paid anywhere near what the hot male stars were getting for their pics the same years she was in Legally Blonde and Sweet Home Alabama.
Old 01-08-18, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...id=48103536156
Old 01-08-18, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Dude...are you that naive as to think that it has not been a struggle for actresses who put asses in seats to get paid anywhere near the same as their male counterpart in a film? It is no secret that while plenty of dudes were getting 20m a picture (now they ask for less but a piece of the back end) it was a struggle for actresses with confirmed blockbusters on their CV to get anywhere near 8-12+ million a movie.

It is cute that you think Reese Witherspoon did not have speak up a bit louder when she was a hot commodity in film (her Legally Blonde / Sweet Home Alabama days) to get paid anywhere near what the hot male stars were getting for their pics the same years she was in Legally Blonde and Sweet Home Alabama.
The problem with your argument that in at least the last 4 decades the biggest box office draws and people who put asses on seats have been men. Hollywood is a business. Simple as that. I am all for breaking the Glsss the ceiling, but dont try and compare the box office of the biggest male and female stars of those decades. Women are simply not as big a box office draw as men. Its simply a fact. I think its naive to not see that.

And who gives a shit about Reese Witherspoon. She was always a piss poor actress in my eyes and i am amazed she ever hit the big time. I mean she wanted a pay rise for that shit?????

And you didnt even address what i said about a stars reps. You know what, just like sports stars, they all get overpaid for what they do. Give them all less money i say.
Old 01-09-18, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

Old 01-09-18, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
1) She's not running
2) Old photo
Originally Posted by The Questyen
Originally Posted by Groucho
Yep. A quick google search shows pics of him with Trump, Obama, Hillary, etc.
Had no idea this board was filled with Oprah defenders who can't take a joke.
Old 01-09-18, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Considering the far-right news websites are taking the above photo and others like it and weaponizing them into a sincere political concern -- Breitbart; Daily Caller; Daily Wire; etc. -- it probably isn't a prudent idea to go around passing that off as a joke.
Old 01-09-18, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,217 Likes on 1,513 Posts

Who could have ever imagined that either one of them would end up at a Golden Globe ceremony someday.
Old 01-09-18, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I didn't see you laughing.
Old 01-09-18, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
Who could have ever imagined that either one of them would end up at a Golden Globe ceremony someday.
Maybe now I'll finally have a chance to sell my script for "Dickless: The John Wayne Bobbitt story."

Last edited by Perkinsun Dzees; 01-09-18 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-09-18, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
And that becomes the whole problem. People celebrate a guy who made a shitty movie under questionable means. Might was well get Youtube stars as well there.
Old 01-10-18, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 209 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Defiant1
I did this back when all the controversy was at a peak. She was the highest paid actor on the set, based on days worked.

Total Pay (Points & Salary) / Days Worked / Average
Cooper: 8.8m / 46 days / $191,304 per day
Bale: 8.8m / 45 days / $195,555 per day
Lawrence: 6.4m / 19 days / $336,842 per day
Adams: 6.15m / 45 days / $136,666 per day