Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017)
10.24%
21.46%
25.37%
8.78%
15.61%
6.34%
5.85%
2.44%
2.93%
0.49%
0.49%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-19, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by tanman
Potentially acting in parallel meaning she was out in space for that 75 seconds....
No, that'd be if the scenes were strictly sequential, one after the other. In parallel means that while we're watching the scene on the First Order bridge, the scene with Leia pulling herself back in would already be occurring. So it's potentially as little as 15 seconds that's she's out in space before she wakes up and does the Force pull.

But to have her freezing over seemingly dead and then somehow out of the blue force pull herself to safety while unconscious was a bit much.
She's not unconscious while doing the Force pull, her eyes open up.
Old 03-09-19, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 963 Likes on 670 Posts
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (R. Johnson, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Jay G.
No, that'd be if the scenes were strictly sequential, one after the other. In parallel means that while we're watching the scene on the First Order bridge, the scene with Leia pulling herself back in would already be occurring. So it's potentially as little as 15 seconds that's she's out in space before she wakes up and does the Force pull.

She's not unconscious while doing the Force pull, her eyes open up.
Okay I see what you mean now. I misunderstood you about parallel scenes. And you're right about her eyes being opened I didn't notice that before. But timing it myself she is in space for at least a full minute and likely much longer. Way more than 15 seconds. Explosion occurs at 0:30. There is a cut at 0:35 which shows her already motionless in space so at least another minute or two has passed she then initiates a force pull and doesn't get inside the air lock until 1:39. There is a 3 second cut away to the inside of the resistance ship with Poe and Leia junior.

But either way like I said before the timing doesn't matter. It's an unnecessary intentional fake out and the whole scene comes across as an unintentional eye rolling cheesy moment that is done terribly. It could have been much better if he had filmed it more subtly.
Old 03-10-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Okay I see what you mean now. I misunderstood you about parallel scenes. And you're right about her eyes being opened I didn't notice that before. But timing it myself she is in space for at least a full minute and likely much longer. Way more than 15 seconds. Explosion occurs at 0:30. There is a cut at 0:35 which shows her already motionless in space so at least another minute or two has passed she then initiates a force pull and doesn't get inside the air lock until 1:39. There is a 3 second cut away to the inside of the resistance ship with Poe and Leia junior.
That Youtube clip is edited, so it's missing the parallel scene I mentioned. Also, you're guessing at how long she's been out because she's "already motionless." What I was pointing out was the amount of time we actually see her unconscious in space, which on that Youtube clip is from 0:35 to when her hand twitches at 0:57, so about 22 seconds.

And yes, she's shown in space for longer since her Force pull takes some time, but I was noting the length of the "fake out" as per your original complaint:
The reason why it's out of the blue is because RJ put the unnecessary fake out with her floating for a minute or two unconscious in space and freezing over.
Once she's conscious and using the Force pull, it's no longer a fake out.

But either way like I said before the timing doesn't matter. It's an unnecessary intentional fake out and the whole scene comes across as an unintentional eye rolling cheesy moment that is done terribly. It could have been much better if he had filmed it more subtly.
Well, every fake out is intentional in a story, and whether it's "unnecessary" is entirely subjective. I will note that for Poe's story to advance, Leia needed to be taken out of commission for a while, so there was someone new neither he or the audience knew or trusted commanding the Resistance that he could but heads against. Having Leia just bump her head and fall unconscious would've been underwhelming and not respectful of her character, but having her survive a near death experience is stronger. Now, maybe the Force pull could've been framed better, although looking at it again I think it works better after repeat viewings and the initial "Marry Poppins" impression wears off. However, the actual story idea isn't bad or unnecessary for the overall story being told.

Last edited by Jay G.; 03-16-19 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-10-19, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

I watched most of the BluRay extras today and walked away with a few encompassing thoughts:

I REALLY dig what Rian Johnson was shooting for with The Force. His understanding of the Balance of the Force is something that I have thought for a long time — BALANCE does not mean that good wins. Balance means there must be bad/evil as well.

I REALLY dig what Rian Johnson was shooting for with Luke. Luke was broken, again and again, and believed he had found the answer: The Jedi Order must die out AND be replaced by something new. The Jedi Order was what was causing the imbalance in The Force that continually gave rise to the Sith to bring about balance.

There is a deleted scene with Luke and Rey that nails this. It’s the only one on the disc that I wish had stayed in the movie. While they are in the island, they see sailing ships approaching and some alert is sounded. Rey asks what it is. Luke advises her they are pirates from a neighboring island who come once a month to plunder the Caretakers’ village. Rey immediately responds that they must put a stop to this. Luke states that is the exact thinking that has led to the fall of the Jedi — this hubris that demands action to fix every wrong without looking at the larger picture. He asks if Rey will still be here to protect them next month, because slaughtering the pirates now means they will return next month angry and with a larger army to cause even worse harm. Rey takes off running with her lightsaber ablaze and crasheds through the front gate to find ... a celebration the Caretakers are partaking in. No pirates.

For those who criticize “how Luke behaved” (and sadly, I would even include Mark Hammil by some of his comments), I would say they are still viewing the character as a wide-eyed 18-year old farm boy turned “last hope of the galaxy”. Those people still feel this should be the story of the Skywalker family tree, not the story of The Force. RJ tried to tell the story of The Force after years (and many movies) of having the story veer away from that. Luke is a broken man turned hermit who thought he had finally discovered the answer to perceived failure after perceived failure ... that the struggle for complete good was what was causing imbalance ... that the current way must die out to be replaced by something that works.

That said, RJ did not drive this home. I don’t think he ever would have been allowed to go that dark. Not by the fanbase, not by Disney. I wish that he had.

Another unrelated thought: OMG does he ever remind me of a young James Cameron in his mannerisms, his speech, and even somewhat in his looks.

PS — I still like the movie and think it would be in the upper tier of SW films if they cut almost everything having to do with Finn and Rose and fixed the stupid “Mary Poppins” Leia scene. I still think it would have been much better to the plot to have Kyle Ren actually be the one who uses the Force to save her. My post on that is buried in here somewhere.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 03-10-19 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-10-19, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 963 Likes on 670 Posts

That Youtube clip is edited, so it's missing the parallel scene I mentioned. Also, you're guessing at how long she's been out because she's "already motionless." What I was pointing out was the amount of time we actually see her unconscious in space, which on that Youtube clip is from 0:35 to when her hand twitches at 0:57, so about 22 seconds.

And yes, she's shown in space for longer since her Force pull takes some time, but I was noting the length of the "fake out" as per your original complaint:

Once she's conscious and using the Force pull, it's no longer a fake out.
Ah I see. Didn't know the clip was edited.

Well, every fake out is intentional in a story, and whether it's "unnecessary" is entirely subjective. I will not that for Poe's story to advance, Leia needed to be taken out of commission for a while, so there was someone new neither he or the audience knew or trusted commanding the Resistance that he could but heads against. Having Leia just bump her head and fall unconscious would've been underwhelming and not respectful of her character, but having her survive a near death experience is stronger. Now, maybe the Force pull could've been framed better, although looking at it again I think it works better after repeat viewings and the initial "Marry Poppins" impression wears off. However, the actual story idea isn't bad or unnecessary for the overall story being told.
That is actually exactly my point. Personally, I liked the idea of Leia being force sensitive or demonstrating some power with the force. However, the scene was done so poorly that it undermined what they were trying to do.

Last edited by tanman; 03-10-19 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-11-19, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,748 Likes on 1,893 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I REALLY dig what Rian Johnson was shooting for with The Force. His understanding of the Balance of the Force is something that I have thought for a long time — BALANCE does not mean that good wins. Balance means there must be bad/evil as well.
But that’s sort of what Lucas was aiming for when he came up with that “balancing the Force” stuff in the prequels, that the existence of the Sith is what put the Force out of balance, and the “Chosen One” would come along and put an end to the Sith and restore balance. Lucas kind of half-assed this point in the movies, and most people came away with the idea that restoring balance to the Force meant an equal number of Jedi and Sith (in this case, Obi-Wan and Yoda vs Palpatine and Vader) creating a sort of yin-yang. In Lucas’ view, the presence of the Sith and Dark Side are a corruption on the Force that throws it out of balance by introducing disharmony and chaos.

Old 03-11-19, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I REALLY dig what Rian Johnson was shooting for with Luke. Luke was broken, again and again, and believed he had found the answer: The Jedi Order must die out AND be replaced by something new. The Jedi Order was what was causing the imbalance in The Force that continually gave rise to the Sith to bring about balance.

There is a deleted scene with Luke and Rey that nails this. It’s the only one on the disc that I wish had stayed in the movie. While they are in the island, they see sailing ships approaching and some alert is sounded. Rey asks what it is. Luke advises her they are pirates from a neighboring island who come once a month to plunder the Caretakers’ village. Rey immediately responds that they must put a stop to this. Luke states that is the exact thinking that has led to the fall of the Jedi — this hubris that demands action to fix every wrong without looking at the larger picture. He asks if Rey will still be here to protect them next month, because slaughtering the pirates now means they will return next month angry and with a larger army to cause even worse harm. Rey takes off running with her lightsaber ablaze and crasheds through the front gate to find ... a celebration the Caretakers are partaking in. No pirates.

For those who criticize “how Luke behaved” (and sadly, I would even include Mark Hammil by some of his comments), I would say they are still viewing the character as a wide-eyed 18-year old farm boy turned “last hope of the galaxy”. Those people still feel this should be the story of the Skywalker family tree, not the story of The Force. RJ tried to tell the story of The Force after years (and many movies) of having the story veer away from that. Luke is a broken man turned hermit who thought he had finally discovered the answer to perceived failure after perceived failure ... that the struggle for complete good was what was causing imbalance ... that the current way must die out to be replaced by something that works..
I feel that if Episode 9 is all about the conclusion of this plot point (Balancing the Force), and that essentially becomes the theme of the ST, than I feel this Trilogy may actually work next to 1-6. What I worry about is JJ makes this a secondary plot point (addresses it, but doesn't make it the grand theme of the movie) and worries about pleasing the fans with the redmeat stuff. I still say a perfect ending to this Trilogy/Saga is Rey/Kylo Ren both sacrifice themselves (in some way) and that eventually brings total balance to the Force, as it resembles the ending to The Matrix Revolutions. The problem is fans hated The Matrix Sequels cause shit like that goes right over people's heads, so JJ decides to dumb it down instead.

Last edited by coli; 03-11-19 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-11-19, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

I really like this, and would have liked to see more, or any, actual training in the movie. A serious reflection on power and responsibility would be a welcome change and could have been a great theme to weave through the entire trilogy.

It's a shame we got what we got.
Old 03-11-19, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

But that’s sort of what Lucas was aiming for when he came up with that “balancing the Force” stuff in the prequels, that the existence of the Sith is what put the Force out of balance, and the “Chosen One” would come along and put an end to the Sith and restore balance. Lucas kind of half-assed this point in the movies, and most people came away with the idea that restoring balance to the Force meant an equal number of Jedi and Sith (in this case, Obi-Wan and Yoda vs Palpatine and Vader) creating a sort of yin-yang. In Lucas’ view, the presence of the Sith and Dark Side are a corruption on the Force that throws it out of balance by introducing disharmony and chaos.

I’m not sure why you started with the word “But” ... (I think) some of the things Lucas was aiming for with the PT were good concepts. The execution is another story.

I agree that too many people assume balance means “equal”, just as too many people believe “balance” is “good always wins”. Lucas scratched the surface with the notion that the Jedi were the ones throwing the Force out of balance (either through their own hubris or possibly even by searching for “the Chosen One”) but he backed off in lieu of fart jokes and racist caricatures.

That is where RJ was trying to go: Luke had figured it out. Whether he is right or wrong, we don’t know.
Old 03-11-19, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 03-11-19, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by coli
I feel that if Episode 9 is all about the conclusion of this plot point (Balancing the Force), and that essentially becomes the theme of the ST, than I feel this Trilogy may actually work next to 1-6. What I worry about is JJ makes this a secondary plot point (addresses it, but doesn't make it the grand theme of the movie) and worries about pleasing the fans with the redmeat stuff. I still say a perfect ending to this Trilogy/Saga is Rey/Kylo Ren both sacrifice themselves (in some way) and that eventually brings total balance to the Force, as it resembles the ending to The Matrix Revolutions. The problem is fans hated The Matrix Sequels cause shit like that goes right over people's heads, so JJ decides to dumb it down instead.
I can buy into this ... and agree. I don’t think JJ has the chutzpah to see this through.
Old 03-12-19, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
It was funny
Actually it wasn't, it comes off as something a crybaby would make who hated the film - it wreaks of tears and desperation. Surely someone more level-headed and less emotional can deliver something much better.
Old 03-12-19, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Actually it wasn't, it comes off as something a crybaby would make who hated the film - it wreaks of tears and desperation. Surely someone more level-headed and less emotional can deliver something much better.
Aww, it was something I found on another website that I thought was funny. Sorry if it offended you but feel free to not look at it again and go jerk off to The Last Jedi.
Old 03-12-19, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

By wreaks, do you mean reeks?
Old 03-12-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Seriously??? We're so red-assed over a bad joke that this level of response is warranted?

THIS thread is the one that should have been closed instead of Episode IX. The movie is way too polarizing to have a healthy conversation and nobody is going to convince the other side of their viewpoint.
Old 03-12-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

Don't close it. Move it to politics. It will fit right in over there.
Old 03-12-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by clappj
By wreaks, do you mean reeks?
lol, I promise you that was a mistake.
Old 03-12-19, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rob V
Seriously??? We're so red-assed over a bad joke that this level of response is warranted?

THIS thread is the one that should have been closed instead of Episode IX. The movie is way too polarizing to have a healthy conversation and nobody is going to convince the other side of their viewpoint.
lol are you serious?
Old 03-12-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

It's not even that bad.
I didn't think the meme was funny at all but so what? Do we need safe spaces for film criticism too?

There's still some good commentary about the film going on in this thread. Jay G brings up things about the film I hadn't noticed on my previous viewings. For example how Rian Johnson was very subtle about showing Kylo and Leia's sensing one another through the Force in the scene before she gets blown up, and how it mirrored the scene of Leia sensing Luke at the end of ESB.
I also thought it was stupid that Yoda was talking like a mental patient, but the defense here, that he was doing it on purpose to take Luke down a notch makes sense too, story-wise.
Old 03-13-19, 06:21 AM

I have my problems with the TLJ and have been very critical of the movie throughout this thread, but I disagree in closing/locking the thread. The fact that this movie is still getting talked about (in fact the whole SW Saga still gets talked about) shows why this blockbuster franchise is the only one I still care about or pay a ticket to see in the theater in every year. The fact that we are arguing about this and that regarding the plot, characters, themes, arcs, shows that these movies have some substance, unlike 99% of the blockbusters that come out (including Comic Book movies) every year.

Yes alot of fans have dug in, but that doesn't mean there hasn't been good points on both sides that atleast open my eyes (and others) to something we may not have seen or want to see. Most blockbusters movies are pure popcorn entertainment and most moviegoers pretty much move on after it comes out. Do you think anyone will be talking about Captain Marvel a few months from now despite it having a huge opening weekend? That is the state of blockbusters in that they make alot of money, but they don't really have much substance, IMO. SW has substance in that respect, so there is a clear line of how different people see the movies. Again, I am very mixed on TLJ as I like alot of things and hate alot of things, but I will take that over some dopey comic book or action movie that is no different than a James Bond movie, where its the same shit over and over again.

With the exception of the Death Star and Redeeming a Pyscho Skywalker, it's not the same shit over and over.
Old 03-13-19, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brayzie
It's not even that bad.
I didn't think the meme was funny at all but so what? Do we need safe spaces for film criticism too?

There's still some good commentary about the film going on in this thread. Jay G brings up things about the film I hadn't noticed on my previous viewings. For example how Rian Johnson was very subtle about showing Kylo and Leia's sensing one another through the Force in the scene before she gets blown up, and how it mirrored the scene of Leia sensing Luke at the end of ESB.
I also thought it was stupid that Yoda was talking like a mental patient, but the defense here, that he was doing it on purpose to take Luke down a notch makes sense too, story-wise.
For sure there has been decent dialogue... but with all due respect to Jay G (and others who defend the film), we shouldn't need their "take" on Yoda's behavior in order for it to make sense. I'm sure Yoda acting like an idiot could have been because he's trying to take Luke down a notch but that's just an opinion or single interpretation. If others want to subscribe to that theory, great... I don't. I believe Rian was one of the least capable people to lead a SW project and it showed in multiple scenes. We can rationalize every polarizing scene with "Rian was thinking this" or "Rian did it because of that"... but at the end of the day you like the movie or you don't. This movie didn't make me "think" or "grow"... it made me angry and disappointed.

And for the record, my suggestion to close the thread was in jest... I can't believe the Episode IX thread was closed but this one is clearly more divisive.
Old 03-13-19, 07:38 AM

And for the record, my suggestion to close the thread was in jest... I can't believe the Episode IX thread was closed but this one is clearly more divisive.
My apologies for commenting as I honestly didn't know the Episode 9 thread was closed and that was the analogy you were making. Why would the Episode 9 thread be closed when the movie hasn't come out yet?

Old 03-13-19, 08:45 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

It was due to excess negativity over something that hasn’t even been released. At least that’s my take on it. Which I’m fine with until there’s a trailer.
Old 03-13-19, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it also devolved into a "TLJ" backlash thread.
Old 03-13-19, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by coli
Why would the Episode 9 thread be closed when the movie hasn't come out yet?
Ghosbusters (2016) had three threads and all of them are closed.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.