Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
12.66%
35.44%
29.11%
16.46%
5.06%
1.27%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-17, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts
Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by d2cheer
You should read the Walking Dead threads. You will die laughing at those.
I stopped watching The Walking Dead because of the lack of logic on that show and the recycled ideas that they constantly employ.

Are people still watching and then bitching as much as they used to? I haven't even looked at that thread since I gave up on the show.
Old 11-08-17, 09:25 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Constantly. It’s like they’re chained to it.
Old 11-08-17, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
You should read the Walking Dead threads. You will die laughing at those.
I stuck with Walking Dead for over 2 seasons AFTER I realized I hated it. HATED. Not sure why. I would watch, hate it, roll my eyes at its abject stupidity, come here and thrash it mercilessly in the thread, and then watch the next week. I came off as a troll in the WD threads even though I did not mean to at all. Probably anger at continuing to watch.

When I finally just gave up on the shows I hated like Arrow and Walking Dead and others it was very freeing.

I think that with movies it is tough to skip an "event" movie especially if you like the genre in general and all Marvel movies are "events".

With TV it is tough to just give up on the investment you have in the show, especially if you started from the beginning. It is part of your routine.
Old 11-08-17, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

I think I have watched the 1 episode like 3 times and I have NEVER had the urge to continue watching or follow the masses. Maybe one day's I'll binge watch it cuz there is nothing else to watch on netflix. lol
Old 11-08-17, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I liked Dark World more than, say, Iron Man 3, Age of Ultron, or Ant Man It was dragged down by a weak villain and saddling Thor with same group of lame, Earth-bound bores that hurt the first Thor movie, but I think overall it was a fun fantasy flick.
Old 11-08-17, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
This sums it up for me as well Although I probably liked it a little more than you did. I thought Hela was pretty badass (and Cate looked amazing too).

Agreed that the GrandMaster/Planet Hulk middle act was fairly standard and unremarkable. The entire time, I felt "Get through this so we can get the fuck back to Asgard".

I think a more interesting movie, to me anyhow, would be everything Heimdall was doing with the Asgardian refugees. That seemed to be the stuff of a great movie to me.
Agree about Heimdall, would have loved an extra 10 minutes about him initially leaving his post and aiding the others.

Regarding Hela, she looked cool visually but I never really saw what set her apart from the other Marvel villains that people typically find lackluster. Her motivations aren't particularly unique or interesting, and she basically shows up just to kill a bunch of Asgardians (including too easily disposing of the Warriors Three, which was disappointing to me).
Old 11-08-17, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyp007
You'll be good. Enjoy it!
Originally Posted by JTH182
She might want to watch Age of Ultron, but she wouldn't be too lost if she didn't. It does come up though.
Originally Posted by fumanstan
Well, this movie does directly address a plot point that happens at the end of Thor 2.
Thanks for the info, all.
Old 11-08-17, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did they kill off the Warriors Three just because they didn't know what to do with them (from a story perspective) after Hela had conquered Asgard?

I'm not going to claim they were some kind of "fan favorites", but I liked them quite a bit. Having them disposed of so trivially was a disappointment.
Old 11-08-17, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

There's not much left to do with Asgard at all - Feige has said that the solo hero movie will be 3 max, so no more Thor movies until a reboot of some kind - female Thor? By then, they could easily bring back Warriors Three, or whatever. After the 4th Avengers movie, I think all the major existing actors will walk away from their roles, and there's gonna be a major shake up in the movie-verse.
Old 11-08-17, 04:45 PM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts

So, do we think Loki took the Infinity Stone from Asgard when he was reviving the big baddie?
Old 11-08-17, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
So, do we think Loki took the Infinity Stone from Asgard when he was reviving the big baddie?
Pretty obviously took the tesseract
Old 11-08-17, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Regarding Hela, she looked cool visually but I never really saw what set her apart from the other Marvel villains that people typically find lackluster. Her motivations aren't particularly unique or interesting, and she basically shows up just to kill a bunch of Asgardians (including too easily disposing of the Warriors Three, which was disappointing to me).
What set her apart was Cate Blanchett obviously having a blast. One of my biggest problems with the MCU is that the movies pay lip service to the idea of dramatic weight, but never really follow through on any of it in any kind of meaningful way. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part the drama is fairly superficial. With Ragnarok they just sort of said 'f it' and went out and had fun.
Old 11-08-17, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got back, and it's maybe my favorite Marvel movie--definitely in the top three.

With the first scene, I thought they were going to go overboard with the comedy---but I came around, and really thought they pulled it off. Hemsworth has great comic timing and delivery, and the writing was sharp and witty.

And even with the humor, I thought they made a considerable effort to give the characters some depth. The Valkyrie (can't remember her character name) started off as the cliche drunken, devil-may-care mercenary, and we then got a deep and relevant backstory for her. Same thing with Hela--she was instrumental in Asgard's rise to power, and it was clear that Odin changed more radically than she did; it was pretty understandable that she had some contempt for his whitewashing of the past. Loki is still complex, as is his relationship with Thor. The Executioner was not a cardboard villain either. For a light-hearted comic book movie, I thought they did a fine job creating nuanced characters.

And the visuals were really great--bright colors and backgrounds, from the coasts of Norway, to Asgard, to Skar and outer space.

Fight scenes and effects were excellent, and you could see what everyone was doing.

And the retro-80's synthpop soundtrack! Loved it! (And Banner with the Duran Duran "Rio" t-shirt )

The movie pretty much worked for me on all cylinders.

Unlike certain DC movies, where there was little humor and I did NOT care about the characters, this one was just the opposite for me. And not to pile on DC, but that gloomy trailer for Justice League made me not even want to see it on TV, let alone in the theater.
Old 11-08-17, 09:22 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Just got back, and it's maybe my favorite Marvel movie--definitely in the top three.

With the first scene, I thought they were going to go overboard with the comedy---but I came around, and really thought they pulled it off. Hemsworth has great comic timing and delivery, and the writing was sharp and witty.

And even with the humor, I thought they made a considerable effort to give the characters some depth. The Valkyrie (can't remember her character name) started off as the cliche drunken, devil-may-care mercenary, and we then got a deep and relevant backstory for her. Same thing with Hela--she was instrumental in Asgard's rise to power, and it was clear that Odin changed more radically than she did; it was pretty understandable that she had some contempt for his whitewashing of the past. Loki is still complex, as is his relationship with Thor. The Executioner was not a cardboard villain either. For a light-hearted comic book movie, I thought they did a fine job creating nuanced characters.

And the visuals were really great--bright colors and backgrounds, from the coasts of Norway, to Asgard, to Skar and outer space.

Fight scenes and effects were excellent, and you could see what everyone was doing.

And the retro-80's synthpop soundtrack! Loved it! (And Banner with the Duran Duran "Rio" t-shirt )

The movie pretty much worked for me on all cylinders.

Unlike certain DC movies, where there was little humor and I did NOT care about the characters, this one was just the opposite for me. And not to pile on DC, but that gloomy trailer for Justice League made me not even want to see it on TV, let alone in the theater.
Pretty much spot on how I felt. I’ve seen it three times now, and I agree on all your major points. The humor is just insanely good. I could see this winning a Golden Globe for Best Comedy/Musical, but it’s not like it needs it.
Old 11-09-17, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
The Valkyrie (can't remember her character name)
That is her name, Valkyrie. From what I read she was part of the female warriors Valkyrior.
Old 11-09-17, 11:01 AM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by Fanboy
A question for those who would know more than me - is there a connection between the Grandmaster and the Collector? They both had that little blue line on their bottom lip and chin.
The kids and I watched the trailer the other day and my six-year-old pointed out that guy is like The Collector. I said sure, they're both a little strange and she said no, look at their blue marks. I hadn't noticed!

Saw this last night as my first Movie Pass film and I liked it. Good crowd, though a little quiet. Our AMC just did the whole recliner remodel, it's nice. I was the oldest one in my crowd, I think, definitely the only one in a shirt and tie after work and driving a minivan.

I didn't read any of the Avengers books when I was a kid. I was an X-Men guy, and they felt like very different worlds. X-Men had its fair share of space adventures, but it seemed like Avengers were in space all the time and for some reason as a kid, I just didn't like that. I would think yeah, yeah, an issue on a lost planet, just get along to the story. Thor was definitely not my cup of tea and while I enjoy him in the Avengers movies, I've only seen Thor on Netflix once and never caught Thor Dark World. I've seen the rest (except Ant Man).

Was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this. Taking a cue from the over-the-top fun of the Guardians of the Galaxy movies helped a lot. I've heard some people complain this makes the first two movies moot with Loki returning, Jane gone, etc., as if comics didn't do that all the time. Also heard the Planet Hulk portion was slow, just get to the story. Here's the thing: In the comics, I'd be right there with you. No single-sided filler, just keep moving the story. But this really worked for me in the movie. It tied to what came before and after, had fun characters, and I appreciated that it took a detour on purpose just to have fun. Some films detour but not on purpose and not to fun effect. Here, I got both.

Yeah, I liked it, I would see it again.
Old 11-09-17, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Brack
I could see this winning a Golden Globe for Best Comedy/Musical, but it’s not like it needs it.
Don't hold your breath

At best, a token nomination.
Old 11-09-17, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Don't hold your breath

The Martian won Best comedy at the Golden Globes a few years ago, so it's definitely possible.
Old 11-09-17, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

My single biggest complaint with AntMan (and I have a lot of them) was the fact that it just assaulted the audience with quips, jokes, and one liners throughout the whole movie, and the majority of them fell totally flat.

My single biggest compliment for Thor Ragnarok: the quips, jokes, and one liners. Banner's flop on the bridge at the end just killed me. This was overall just a fantastic movie with a few stumbles here and there (when Odin passes over he just turns into a few sprinkles of pixie dust?).

Oh wait! My second biggest compliment is the humor. My first is Cate Blanchett. Oh. My. God. That woman...Whew...I mean...Wow...I just...Ya know...Aw jeez...Yeah.....
Old 11-09-17, 04:32 PM

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts

Don't hold your breath

I say this as someone who wants to see Thor a second time with my dad when I see my family over the T-day holiday that the only comic book film that deserves to be considered for anything other than technical awards (sound editing/special effects) is Logan. I know some want to claim WW deserves a shot at a best picture nod, but nope...Logan really deserves to be one of the 10 best vying for best picture and I am glad that Deadline reported quite some time back that Fox got a jump on putting screeners into the hands of the Academy members who vote.
Old 11-09-17, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll agree to disagree about Logan. 2/3rds of standard superhero dystopia'ish with a cool ending makes for an OK to good movie, but hardly sublime.
Old 11-09-17, 09:22 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The Martian won Best comedy at the Golden Globes a few years ago, so it's definitely possible.
And it’s the Golden Globes, where anything is possible.

I said could, not that it would, because it is by far the funniest movie I’ve seen in many years. Certainly as funny as anything winning a Golden Globe lately.

I mean, Deadpool got a nomination last year. Ragnarok is way better and funnier than Deadpool imo.

Last edited by Brack; 11-09-17 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-09-17, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I'll agree to disagree about Logan. 2/3rds of standard superhero dystopia'ish with a cool ending makes for an OK to good movie, but hardly sublime.
So.... you disagree?

Anyway this was a blast.
Felt similar in tone to the GotG movies which for me is great.

Wife and I laughed hard a handful of times.

I completely missed every single cameo, I still have no idea who Matt Damon was in this.

Omg there was sooo much Kirby all over thIs movie it made me smile so hard.

The color design was so much comic bookish and the guards on Goldbloom’s planet were as Kirby as it gets.
All the circles and angled lines on the walls. Beautiful.

Btw the end credit scene after about 12 minutes of credits is pretty pointless and not worth hanging around for.
Old 11-10-17, 05:13 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hazel Motes
I don't really like many of the MCU films. I've enjoyed maybe 3 or 4 of the 20 +. I get to see them free, so I usually do. But after the lackluster GotG 2 and the hot pile of garbage that was Spiderman Homecoming even free was becoming too high a price. But the trailer for Thor: Ragnarok floored me. I was stoked for the film and it didn't disappoint. For me this is easily the best of all the MCU films. It was just so much fun. The HUMOR, the great fight & action scenes, the production design, the score, the chemistry between the actors, The Doctor Strange surprise. The Damon, Hemsworth and Neill cameo's. Jeff Goldblum! The amazing use of Led Zeppelin. The not having to sit through tedious Captain America or Iron Man appearences. I thought everything worked very well. It was fun from beginning to end. It's a shame the characters in this have to go back and get bogged down in another Avengers movie. I'd like to see a direct follow up to this film.

3.5/5

Maybe you just don't like the superhero genre. Spiderman was a lot of fun. Can't understand how someone could hate it that much.
Old 11-10-17, 05:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Just saw it, and it is easily one of my favorites. Lots of fun, and the art and design work was amazing.I think they took inspiration from Jack Kirby especially with the GameMaster world. Stan Lee cameo was hilarious as always. haha

My only disappointment was that we only got a few minutes with Dr. Strange. I thought he was going to be part of Thor's new team, but the movie never really needed him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.