Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
12.66%
35.44%
29.11%
16.46%
5.06%
1.27%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-17, 10:29 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

**SPOILERS WITHIN**

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Thor: Ragnarok" (Starring: Chris Hemsworth, Tom Hiddleston, Cate Blanchett, Mark Ruffalo,, Idris Elba, Jeff Goldblum, Karl Urban, Tessa Thompson, Benedict Cumberbatch)

Release Date:
11/03/17

Rating:
PG-13 (for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and brief suggestive material.)

Running Time:
130m. (2h. 10m.)

Budget:
$180 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Thor is imprisoned on the other side of the universe and finds himself in a race against time to get back to Asgard to stop Ragnarok, the destruction of his homeworld and the end of Asgardian civilization, at the hands of an all-powerful new threat, the ruthless Hela.

IMDb Info and Rating:
8.3 (20,451 votes as of 10/28/17)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:100 Rotten:4 (96% as of 10/01/17)

Metacritic:
74 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 10/28/17)

Trailer:

Poster Art:
Old 10-29-17, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

From my review page Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies:

Thor: Ragnarok (PG-13) - Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston shine while Cate Blanchett and Jeff Goldblum chew the scenery with their mouths open in the funniest Marvel adventure to date - GENERALLY SPOILER-FREE

One of the not-so-secrets of Marvel’s movies is their liberal use of humor. If you look at each one, there are always light-hearted moments that either inform the characters’ personalities or add to the general proceedings, like Steve Rogers’ to-do/watch/listen list in Winter Soldier or Tony Stark’s ego in pretty much everything. Then we have the huge laugh-out-loud moments, such as Hulk side-clobbering Thor or smashing Loki in the first Avengers movies. And Marvel is not afraid to go for broke, and allow humor-infused plot points of some films, such as Ant-Man, Spider-Man: Homecoming, and the Guardians of the Galaxy films.

And now we have Thor: Ragnarok, which has made no secret from the very beginning, its intention to have audiences bust a gut while presenting the most gonzo, Kirby-esque space adventure ever.

The plot/set-up in a nutshell - Thor (Chris Helmsworth), while pursuing the meaning of the visions of Asgard’s destruction that plagued him in Age of Ultron, discovers not only that Loki (Tom Hiddleston) has taken Odin’s place as ruler, but that Odin has been stranded on Earth. Once Odin is located, circumstances unleash Hela (Cate Blanchett, absolutely relishing her role), the Asgardian goddess of death, whose only goal is to take over the rule of Asgard or destroy it in the process. Both Thor and Loki are defeated in their first encounter with Hela, and find themselves stranded on the planet of Sakaar, where Thor discovers his fellow Avenger Hulk (Mark Ruffalo) is the champion gladiator of the being known as the Grandmaster (Jeff Goldblum at his zaniest). After convincing Banner and newcomer Valkyrie (Tess Thompson as a less serious, more fun-loving warrior woman, ahem) to join him and Loki to battle Hela, they discover once they get to Asgard, it may be an impossible mission.

I’ve been very careful not to reveal anything that isn’t already discernable from the trailers, because there are TONS of fun, previous Marvel movie callbacks and more to discover. But getting back to my original point, Thor: Ragnarok is hands-down the funniest movie, frame for frame, I have seen in a decade or more. Credit director Taika Waititi, whose previous films What We Do In the Shadows and The Search for the Wilderpeople, brought him to Marvel/Disney’s attention, and they have allowed him to make this movie an instant comedy classic. Also credit the absolutely great comedic timing of Hemsworth and Hiddleston, whose scenes together are priceless.

There is funny to be found in everything, from secondary characters like Skurge (Karl Urban), a lucky mercenary who becomes Hela’s cautious henchman, to the nice guy rock warrior Korg (played by director Waititi), to the absolute insane fun that Goldblum brings to the Grandmaster. And there are nice quick scenes of hilarity, like Loki’s terrified reaction when he realizes Hulk is the gladiator champion, or Thor’s reaction when Hulk steps out of a hot tub au naturale.

There is also a very funny extended bit at the beginning of the film, first touched on at the end of Dr. Strange, as Strange questions Thor on why he and Loki are in New York.

Another very cool and sometimes funny aspect of Thor: Ragnarok involves some of the musical cues of some scene. Led Zeppelin’s The Immigrant Song is used very effectively, and there is another familiar musical classic that was perfect in the scene following Thor’s arrival on Sakaar. Pure gold. Listen for it.

I just had a ton of fun from beginning to end with Thor: Ragnarok. I was laughing pretty much from the first minute on, and so was the rest of the audience I saw it with. You can’t ask much more from a Marvel movie. I am giving Thor: Ragnarok 4.5 out of 5 lightsabers, and I already have two other screenings with family and friends lined up.

NOTES FOR PARENTS - Thor: Ragnarok is rated PG-13 for comic book action, violence and mayhem, and brief Hulk butt. There is infrequent PG-level profanity, including s*** and s-o-b. There are several scenes where Thor and his team fight the bad guys of the film with swords, fists, and lightning. Green dragon blood figures prominently in one funny scene. A shock device is used to maximum comic effect multiple times. Thor and Hulk engage in super-powered gladiator-style fighting. Valkyrie uses her ship’s guns to rescue Thor from scavengers. Hela fights and defeats many soldiers on Asgard. She later awakens her long-dead army to help her conquer Asgard. Some Asgardians are killed as they defend themselves from Hela’s army, but there is no blood show. Two secondary characters are impaled on large swords thrown by Hela, but no blood is shown. The Grandmaster “melts” someone as punishment (shown in a non-gory way). Green Hulk butt is shown briefly. The word “orgy” is mentioned once, but there is nothing of a sexual nature beyond these items.

MID AND AFTER CREDITS: Mid-credits, a scene hints at the scale of the upcoming Infinity War movies. After-credits is a very funny call-back involving the Grandmaster.

SHARE this review with friends and family, and LIKE Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies!

Orbi-Wan Goes To The Movies is protected under Creative Commons.

Artwork by Avry Ott @avryrobinott, used with permission

Last edited by Orbi-Wan Techno; 10-29-17 at 12:23 AM.
Old 10-29-17, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Man, what a blast! I actually quite liked the first two Thors unlike a lot of people, but this one took it to another level. Lots of humour, but worked better than GotG2 for me, which kind of overdid it.

And of course as a proud New Zealander, what a treat to see one of our own Taika Waititi direct and maintain a distinctively kiwi tone to affairs (the 'kiwi bro' character voiced by Taika himself had my theatre cracking up every time he opened his mouth, and there's a lot of cameos and smaller roles by very well known kiwi actors, including a "theatrical turn" from a kiwi superstar).

Anyway, it well measured up to the stunning trailers, everybody was great in it, and without spoilers there's some truly world-changing events too that'll have an effect on the greater Marvel U. Can't wait to see it again, easily in the top 5-6 Marvel films to date.
Old 10-30-17, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Just got back from seeing an advanced preview of Thor: Ragranok. Lots of humorous lines and scenes throughout the whole movie. Plot was mediocre, same old same old. The villian looked like Ming's daughter from Flash Gordon with the goofy headpiece. Stan's cameo lasted a little bit longer than most of the ones from other movies. Two end credit scenes. One for comedic effect the other to advance the story towards Avengers 3. I'll give it a 3 out of 5.
Old 10-30-17, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just came from an advanced screener of Thor:Ragnarok. It's definitely one of the funniest movies in the MCU. Considering the storyline, I can say it's pretty formulaic but it definitely makes for a fun popcorn movie. I wish they would've kept their original July date. This is such a summer popcorn movie. 3.5 out of 5.
Old 11-02-17, 07:46 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Bump for the release tonight.
Old 11-02-17, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Just saw it and it was bat shit crazy. Just like the trailers, they just went for it. Lots of comedy too, almost the entire movie. Hulk was great too, and all the side characters. Especially the rock guy.
Old 11-02-17, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Loved it start to finish! The comedy worked for me because it was such a weird setting. Tons of fun moments coupled with some big stuff for the future. Everyone was having a blast and it was fun to watch.

Loved the little moments too - I caught Beta Ray Bill’s head on the Grandmasters tower. I would love to see him pop up in another movie. He’s one of my favs
Old 11-02-17, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Especially the rock guy.
Taika single handily created the greatest Marvel character yet.
Old 11-02-17, 11:47 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Best time I’ve had in the theaters all year (thus far). For a pretty grim plot, it sure was the funniest movie I’ve seen in the theaters in years. I found it emotional enough when it needed to be. I’m giving it 5 out of 5, and definitely the most pleasing Marvel movie since the first Avengers movie, if not my favorite one to date.
Old 11-03-17, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought the humor was misplaced/over the top at times...distracted from the movie at times. 1/2 of the humor was perfect, the other 1/2 was a bit too much.
-Loved Loki, always great...whoever casted him deserves a big raise.

That said, I did enjoy it and was glad I went.

As everyone knows, 2 credit scenes.
Old 11-03-17, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Just got back myself. Yeah, they beat you to death with comedy. I figure they had nowhere else to go being serious with the first two that they had to do a complete 180. The humor was also very British and had some of those familiar beats. Blanchett was sexy as hell, too -- Hella good!

That surprise cameo got a huge roar from my crowd. I know it's a spoiler thread, but I won't say who it was. The fights were great, the score, as well. It's a fantastically designed film. I will definitely be getting the Art of book.

Winter Soldier is still my favorite MCU film, but this one does crack the Top 5 for sure.
Old 11-03-17, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hulk arena reveal would have come across a lot better if you didn't know who was coming out
Old 11-03-17, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorraffy
Hulk arena reveal would have come across a lot better if you didn't know who was coming out
Yeah but I think that reveal helped sell the movie so I get it.

I agree that the surprise cameo was... surprising. So much so that the other cameo in that same scene seemed tame by comparison. Now I understand that Kimmel interview.

I assume we're talking about the play, although I was also surprised by the New York cameo.

I thought it was funny, but I felt like GotG was better. It just felt like they were ad libbing half the scenes (probably because they were). Plus I kind of hate the idea of thor without a hammer, and I hate even more thor without an
Spoiler:
eye.

I'm also very confused about how I'm supposed to feel about Odin and why he did what he did.
Old 11-03-17, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
Thought the humor was misplaced/over the top at times...distracted from the movie at times. 1/2 of the humor was perfect, the other 1/2 was a bit too much.
I'm going to agree with this. EVERYTHING was a comedy bit and it got old and predictable sometimes. You could see that bit with Hulk on the bridge coming a mile away. I will say that Hemsworth has fantastic timing, which was already seen in Vacation. He should start doing more comedies.

The cameos during the play were great.
Old 11-03-17, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

Loved it! So many great moments like Loki's reaction at seeing the Hulk, I can't wait to see it again Sunday.

Sif's absence was strange. I know the real reason was the shooting schedule but I wonder how or if it will ever be addressed on screen.
Old 11-03-17, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 286 Likes on 182 Posts

Felt alot like the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie. Dug it.
Old 11-03-17, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Loved it! So many great moments like Loki's reaction at seeing the Hulk, I can't wait to see it again Sunday.

Sif's absence was strange. I know the real reason was the shooting schedule but I wonder how or if it will ever be addressed on screen.

Well, she probably would have met the same fate as the Three, so she should consider herself lucky.
Old 11-03-17, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Well, she probably would have met the same fate as the Three, so she should consider herself lucky.
Yup. For that reason, I am glad she wasn't in it.
Old 11-03-17, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,506 Posts

That was one of my main complaints about the movie, the Asgardians were a bunch of chumps. Granted Hela is stronger than all of them but they are really, really useless without Odin and/or Thor. That doesn't even take into account that they were so easily duped by Loki for years. At least Hogun got to do something compared to the other two, though.

Also the machine guns thing was a bit out of place. When he first showed them off as part of his trophy collection I thought good, that's the part I saw in the previews, he doesn't actually use human weapons, but nope.
Old 11-03-17, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd say this has way more comedy than Guardians -- way fucking more.
Old 11-03-17, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

5/5 easy for me. As others have said, a total blast from start to finish. Top 5 Marvel movie. Cate brought sexy to being bad. Loved it.
Old 11-03-17, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts

Just got back from this and I think it's the best Thor movie by far. Not sure where it would rank in the overall universe.

The comedy was good and I laughed a lot, but I can't help but find it strange how different the tone was compared to the other two Thor movies. It almost seemed like a different universe. Loki has quietly developed into one of the best characters in the entire universe. Cate Blanchett was hot as hell, as was Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie. I did like the more colorful look, as well as some ynth action going on with the score.

It was a fun movie and I enjoyed it a lot. The comedy was weirdly place, though.
Old 11-03-17, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Loved it. On the verge of being just a little too goofy, but they bring you back with some doom and gloom. Missed Natalie Portman because I love Natalie Portman, but this story didn't provide any opportunity for her and Kat Dennings. Nice little cameo from Dr. Strange. Cool cameos in the play. Really hit on all cylinders.

The comedy was good and I laughed a lot, but I can't help but find it strange how different the tone was compared to the other two Thor movies. It almost seemed like a different universe. Loki has quietly developed into one of the best characters in the entire universe. Cate Blanchett was hot as hell, as was Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie. I did like the more colorful look, as well as some ynth action going on with the score.
Agree with all this. Man was Blanchett hot in this.
Old 11-03-17, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Best Thor movie and non-Captain America Marvel movie for me to date.

Loved the humor. The theater I was in had the audience rolling laughing their asses off. Hemsworth was terrific with the comedy. I also loved Loki. Amazing how he’s changed from diabolical villain to Thor’s sorta sidekick. The Dr. Strange cameo was awesome, but they did kind of tease their interaction at the end of his movie.

Also loved the Comradery between Thor and Hulk.

Can’t wait too see what happens when the people of Asgard along with Thor and Hulk finally get to earth.

The 6 more months left until the next movie are going to fly by.

It was a little weird that Sif wasn’t around or even mentioned considering how big she was in the first 2 movies. But it’s understandable considering Alexander has Blindspot and there was no way she could work on this.

Last edited by DJariya; 11-03-17 at 08:35 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.