Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread
12.66%
35.44%
29.11%
16.46%
5.06%
1.27%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
What are you high?
0%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-17, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Re: Thor: Ragnarok (Taika Waititi, 2017) — The Spoiler Filled Reviews Thread

I am shocked - SHOCKED - to discover coincidence played a role in a comic book movie.
Old 11-04-17, 08:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 935 Likes on 783 Posts

won't get to see this till 11/11. sux!
Old 11-04-17, 09:58 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

I feel the same way as Deftones. Liked the movie but shouldn't have read the reviews since I was expecting to be blown away by the movie but felt that it was good, not great. I'm kinda glad Sif wasn't part in the film since

Spoiler:

Hela kills the Warriors Three (pretty easily I might say). Actually, I was disappointed by how many notable Asgardians were killed like Skurge the Executioner (which now prevents him being along with Amora the Enchantress in future films). Also, I liked that they showed the comic book Valkyrie we all know (Brunnhilde of Asgard) but was disappointed that the she was part of the Asgardians who were killed by Hela. Maybe all these death will be retconned in Avengers Infinity War but these characters could have had future roles in Marvel films.

I was also disappointed with the change in Hulk's voice and Taika Waititi voicing Korg. The latter is an important character in both Thor and Hulk's comic book history. Korg was Thor's first villain in Journey into Mystery #83 and he was an important character in the whole Planet Hulk/World War Hulk storylines. Speaking about Planet Hulk, I know that the storyline was wasted in this Thor movie because contractually Hulk movies are complicated, but wish it wasn't as a throwaway story like they did in Ragnarok. Planet Hulk is one of the best Marvel stories in the past 25 years and it deserved to be told in a movie (besides the animated one).

By the way, will Hela be Death, the one Thanos' loves, in Infinity War?
Old 11-04-17, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

I fucking loved it and can't wait to see it again.

Cate was awesome as always. Tessa was just amazing and super sexy, she owned that role. The Strange scenes were hilarious and Hemsworth was great.

What was the second end scene? I thought I read there were 2, but I had to run out after the first one.
Old 11-04-17, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 451 Likes on 316 Posts

Enjoyed it. Dumb fun. Easily funniest Marvel movie, funnier than Ant Man. Biggest laugh was Banner falling onto the bridge, dead. Blanchett was the best part -I was, um, excited whenever she was onscreen.
Both post-credits sequences were lame.
Old 11-05-17, 12:12 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I am shocked - SHOCKED - to discover coincidence played a role in a comic book movie.
Old 11-05-17, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

In retrospect, now that the buzz has worn off, they totally fucking undermined everything that the Thor-verse stood for. People trash Dark World and that had one of the most emotional moments in his universe -- the death of Frigga. Imagine if they had played it for laughs? I can see that they basically retconned Thor and have started anew. We'll see how it goes from here. Still liked the film, but am not so much a fan of them making it a non-stop comedy.
Old 11-05-17, 12:22 AM

It was funnier than Deadpool by a country mile. I recommed watching it again, as the funniest jokes were the most benevolent Korg was very optimistic, so his jokes worked. The fact that the movie is one insane trippy ride of the plot has to count for something. If you don’t like it, that’s fine, but for the movie they wanted to make, it was well executed, written, and directed with care imo. I couldn’t stop laughing at all the joke. There are many great one liners

Last edited by Brack; 11-05-17 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Spellin
Old 11-05-17, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,252 Likes on 4,273 Posts

I liked it mostly, but not as much as some of you. I enjoyed a lot of the humor, but then the stuff on Asgard was pretty dark and I didn't feel the tones meshed well. Still I thought it was a lot of fun for the most part, and it's kind of fun to see a franchise rip up the script and go batshit crazy once in a while.
I thought Jeff Goldblum was a little too over-the-top, but I liked Tessa Thompson a lot in this (haven't seen Creed yet and thought she was really underutilized in S1 of Westworld). Blanchet was great, but isn't she always?

TL;DR : Liked it a lot, but didn't love it like I did the last two Captain America flicks and Spider-Man Homecoming.

BTW : Has there ever been in cinema a character who vacillated more between good and bad and done so with less obvious motivation? He's like the personification of a plot device. Love Tom Hiddleson in the part, but the character is kinda pointless by now. Who cares what he does next?
Old 11-05-17, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I thought it was great they used a song that was actually in the trailer.

And I've never played Destiny...
I agree but they shouldn't have used it twice in the movie. Just once.

I felt it fit better the second time but the wind had left its sails since they used it earlier.

Surprised no one has mentioned the score yet (unless I overlooked it). Very synth 80's feel to it. I believe it was the first Marvel score that I have actually noticed and want to check out.

This movie is a blast. The humor hits (90% of the time). The cast is great. The visuals are stunning.

Question: Why was Surtur so easy to defeat at first and so powerful after? Eternal fire?

And I hope Thor gets his hammer back.

This movie is actually cute and funny like Guardians Of The Galaxy 1. Fortunately it is not like GOTG2 where it tries to be cute and funny and fails the majority of the time.
Old 11-05-17, 07:18 AM

Received 4,614 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Enjoyed it. Dumb fun. Easily funniest Marvel movie, funnier than Ant Man. Biggest laugh was Banner falling onto the bridge, dead. Blanchett was the best part -I was, um, excited whenever she was onscreen.
Both post-credits sequences were lame.
The Bridge was the worst joke to me. After non stop jokes the entire film, you could see that happening from a mile away.
Old 11-05-17, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 269 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
The Bridge was the worst joke to me. After non stop jokes the entire film, you could see that happening from a mile away.
That doesn't make it any less funny to me. They telegraphed the whole thing. You were supposed to know that was going to happen.

If you didn't you were not paying attention.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I didn't care for them using the Led Zeppelin track -- twice, I think. It was cliched, because the Destiny video game promotions did first a couple of years ago. They should have gotten different tracks. IMO.

Originally Posted by Brack
Disagree completely. The song fits perfectly in terms of effectiveness, plot, and out right zaniness of the film. But to each their own. Who cares about what a game like Destiny uses for their promos? (which I don’t even remember, and I followed and played the game quite a bit upon release and was never good enough to justify the use of this song, and I have no interest in 2)
I still think the Kiss song God Of Thunder would have worked well in this.

Great movie overall. Most of the humor was spot on. Some of the nitpicks in here about it are well just nitpicks. Can't wait to see the next one in May.

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
It’s only three months until Black Panther comes out.
Not excited for this one at all. I can wait for video for this.
Old 11-05-17, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
Yeah, I called it too, but it still made me laugh - it was the execution of it.
Old 11-05-17, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,307 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I agree but they shouldn't have used it twice in the movie. Just once.

I felt it fit better the second time but the wind had left its sails since they used it earlier.
Yeah, it was odd having it twice. I'll agree about it's placement.
Old 11-05-17, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,197 Likes on 921 Posts

Just saw that Zoe Bell was Blanchett's stuntwoman. I love Zoe.
Old 11-05-17, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, they should've held off on Immigrant Song just for that second time, and used something else that first time.
Old 11-05-17, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Surprised no one has mentioned the score yet (unless I overlooked it). Very synth 80's feel to it. I believe it was the first Marvel score that I have actually noticed and want to check out.
Agree about the score, I thought it was great. It was done by Mark Mothersbaugh from DEVO(!!).
Old 11-05-17, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,248 Likes on 858 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
That was one of my main complaints about the movie, the Asgardians were a bunch of chumps. Granted Hela is stronger than all of them but they are really, really useless without Odin and/or Thor. That doesn't even take into account that they were so easily duped by Loki for years. At least Hogun got to do something compared to the other two, though.

Also the machine guns thing was a bit out of place. When he first showed them off as part of his trophy collection I thought good, that's the part I saw in the previews, he doesn't actually use human weapons, but nope.
I think that may be my biggest complaint of the entire Thor series. However it is amplified here by the absence (not even a mention) of Sif and the casual throw away deaths of Fandral, Volstagg, and Hogan. As somebody mentioned with Meek — even after three movies I did not have enough emotional investment in the Warriors Three for this to have any impact or real meaning. They should have kept them alive and had them helping Heimdahl.

I guess the machine gun thing worked for the film, but not for me either. As always, I had to wait for the credits to confirm Skurge was Karl Urban. That’s what makes him so good, but costs him in becoming a recognized actor. He’s just too damn good at being a chameleon.

Originally Posted by JimRochester
But with how little screen time Volstagg, Hogun and Fandrall got I'm still surprised she couldn't fly out for a day, do the shoot and fly back. Figured they would at least mention her since she was in the play.
See above ... it would have been funny if she actually played herself in the play.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I didn't care for them using the Led Zeppelin track -- twice, I think. It was cliched, because the Destiny video game promotions did first a couple of years ago. They should have gotten different tracks. IMO.
Originally Posted by Brack
Disagree completely. The song fits perfectly in terms of effectiveness, plot, and out right zaniness of the film. But to each their own.
I’m with Blu, using it twice was too “on the nose”. One use might have been more effective. Essentially they tried to turn it into Thor’s fight theme. Cant say it bothered me enough to take me out of the film, but it was enough to notice. It just stood out after a couple of very effective and subtle music queues that I picked up on (Hulk’s walking away theme, Willy Wonka).

Originally Posted by Deftones
Did anyone else think Hulk's voice sounded weird? Sounded very processed and robotic in my showing.
Yes. I also thought the rendering didn’t quite look right in some scenes. While I have found Hulk to be one of the more interesting characters over the many films, I am not a fan of Ruffalo and his Bruce Banner.

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Speaking about Planet Hulk, I know that the storyline was wasted in this Thor movie because contractually Hulk movies are complicated, but wish it wasn't as a throwaway story like they did in Ragnarok. Planet Hulk is one of the best Marvel stories in the past 25 years and it deserved to be told in a movie (besides the animated one).
One of the podcasts I listen to talked about this ... I guess Disney has the rights to use Hulk in other characters’ movies but can NOT make a stand-alone Hulk movie. Thor: Ragnarok is supposed to be the start of a three film arc for Hulk that will encompass those storylines inside of other movies. I’m not familiar with Planet Hulk beyond the concept, so I don’t know how much is left to use.

Originally Posted by Decker
BTW : Has there ever been in cinema a character who vacillated more between good and bad and done so with less obvious motivation? He's like the personification of a plot device. Love Tom Hiddleson in the part, but the character is kinda pointless by now. Who cares what he does next?
This is particularly relevant in an era that feeds on the “anti-hero”and constant efforts to make bad guys into the protagonists of movies. Loki is possibly the only character to truly succeed at straddling the boundaries. Hiddleston’s performances constantly convey that Loki is not driven by some ultimate need for evil, but rather a pure lack of self-control governed by a need for mischief. A great example of this is when he sees the Tesseract in the vaults. Despite being driven by a specific mission, his casual notice and pause convey the exact reaction we would expect from Loki. (We all know he took it!)

I can’t add much more at the moment. I am planning on a second viewing and have a question though: is the 3D worth it? I saw it in 2D IMAX last night.
Old 11-05-17, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Saw it again yesterday with the wife and church friends, I had fun watching their reactions throughout. Seeing it again tonight (!) with the local Comicon volunteer staff, most of whom have not seen it yet, so being with fellow nerds will be a LOT of fun. (I am kind of the elder statesman of the group...)
Old 11-05-17, 02:47 PM

Never thought I’d hear people complain about Immigrant Song used more than once in some pretty kick ass fight sequences. I thought the use of the song signified when Thor has his mojo and also when he got his real mojo going. And as far as a hammer? He could use any old hammer now, as he did with the fight with Hulk that was made of junk. Thor isn’t the God of Hammers, as we learned and knew after this draw with Hulk.
Old 11-05-17, 03:49 PM

This is also the most quotable Marvel movie ever. So many great lines. My wife and I were cracking up for a good half hour going over our favorite lines and moments, and that was just the tip of the iceberg. She loved Korg especially. I don’t know, perhaps it was the fact that my father died two days ago, but this was the Marvel movie I needed right now. I’ve seen it twice this weekend, and may see it again later this week.
Old 11-05-17, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got back from seeing. This is the funniest non-R-rated movie I have seen in many years! The first two Thor movies were just okay and utterly forgettable, but this one nails it. It's funner than either of the GotG movies, and the humour works almost all of the time. The only time I thought it majorly misstepped was Korg talking about re-building Asgard as it had good foundations, only for it to blow up seconds later.

Hemsworth was great as the lead, with excellent support from everyone else. Blanchett was excellent as Hela, but she disappeared for like 40 minutes during the middle of the movie. WTF?

Immigrant Song has to be one of the best uses of a song in a movie.

It will be interesting how they fit the tone of this new and improved Thor into the upcoming Avengers movies. Will he continue to be zany, or will he be toned down?
Old 11-05-17, 04:31 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

One of the podcasts I listen to talked about this ... I guess Disney has the rights to use Hulk in other characters’ movies but can NOT make a stand-alone Hulk movie. Thor: Ragnarok is supposed to be the start of a three film arc for Hulk that will encompass those storylines inside of other movies. I’m not familiar with Planet Hulk beyond the concept, so I don’t know how much is left to use.
Planet Hulk leads to World War Hulk, where Hulk comes back to Earth with Korg, Mink and other former gladiators from Sakaar to exact revenge on the people who sent him to space (Tony Stark, Reed Richards, Dr. Strange, Black Bolt and Charles Xavier). That basically turned into the NYC based Marvel Heroes vs Hulk.

That led to the creation of the Red Hulk which is basically General Ross Thunderbolt with the powers of the Hulk. I doubt any of this would be used in future storylines. Marvel would most likely use things like the Korvac Saga, Secret Invasion, and Siege before going back to the well with Planet Hulk.
Old 11-05-17, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 701 Likes on 432 Posts

This was perfectly OK but kind of disappointing, given the massive amount of hype going into the film ("BEST MARVEL MOVIE EVERRRRR!!!!") The humor was hit-or-miss (when it hit, it did well, but there was a LOT of dead air), the plot fairly standard, and the performances energetic and willing. But there was a tired sense to the affairs, and the net effect was an "OK, that was nice, good fun, a nice time at the movies, but little else".

Of all the Marvel films this year (GotG2, S-M:H) this was third. All three were good to great, though.

A generous 3.5 out of 5.
Old 11-05-17, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 701 Likes on 432 Posts

By the way, anyone who criticizes a DC trailer for "using a classic rock song" needs a giant H branded right on their forehead.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.