Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-24, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,479 Likes on 4,433 Posts
Re: Sexual Harassment/Assault & Abuse in Hollywood -- Discussion

Originally Posted by TheBang
And David Copperfield is cancelled!
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...-investigation

The celebrated American magician David Copperfield has been accused by 16 women of engaging in sexual misconduct and inappropriate behavior, according to a Guardian US investigation.

More than half of the allegations are from women who said they were under 18 at the time of the incidents. Some said they were as young as 15, although he may not have known their ages.

The allegations against him include claims that he drugged three women before he had sexual relations with them, which they felt they were unable to consent to.

The claims against the 67-year-old illusionist – which he has denied – span from the late 1980s to 2014.
I’ve heard about these claims for well over a decade. Wonder what’s new now.
Old 05-16-24, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 776 Likes on 632 Posts

Kevin Spacey is back, baby!
https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/16/enter...eer/index.html

Spacey is pushing back on the “rush to judgment” against him and is being backed by some big names as he seeks to reclaim his acting career.
Sharon Stone and Liam Neeson issued statements of support for Spacey in a story by The Telegraph.

If he is clean and remorseful I would not mind seeing him back since he did a lot of movies that I liked.
Old 05-16-24, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 277 Likes on 206 Posts

Spacey would be a good villain opposite Neeson in the new Naked Gun movie. Doubt the studio would go for it.
Old 05-17-24, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 898 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I’ve heard about these claims for well over a decade. Wonder what’s new now.
All this time and he couldn't make these claims disappear. Magician, my ass.
The following users liked this post:
ntnon (05-19-24)
Old 05-17-24, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,873 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Yeah, the David Copperfield allegations have been floating around for a while.

There was a theory that he wasn't the one assaulting women, but rather a double in his employ.
IBJoel (05-17-24)
Old 05-17-24, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,061 Likes on 652 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
There was a theory that he wasn't the one assaulting women, but rather a double in his employ.
Riiiight. And where is this double now?
Spoiler:

The following 2 users liked this post by Cellar Door:
IBJoel (05-17-24), Toby Dramit (05-17-24)
Old 05-17-24, 09:11 AM

Received 4,730 Likes on 3,206 Posts

Man... Copperfield's Vegas show is one of the worst things I've ever seen. That fucking blue alien...
Old 05-17-24, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
If he is clean and remorseful I would not mind seeing him back since he did a lot of movies that I liked.
He's not remorseful, though. He may indeed be innocent which would make that understandable but he's not remorseful at all.
Old 05-17-24, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 676 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
He's not remorseful, though. He may indeed be innocent which would make that understandable but he's not remorseful at all.
If he's innocent (different than being "not guilty") there's no reason for him to be remorseful.
Old 05-17-24, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
If he's innocent (different than being "not guilty") there's no reason for him to be remorseful.
That's what I said.
Old 05-17-24, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 676 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
That's what I said.
Yeah, I misunderstood your post. Sorry.
Old 05-17-24, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,960 Likes on 1,304 Posts

He's innocent, but remorseful. Just covering all his bases.
Old 05-17-24, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Spacey is pushing back on the “rush to judgment” against him and is being backed by some big names as he seeks to reclaim his acting career.
Sharon Stone and Liam Neeson issued statements of support for Spacey in a story by The Telegraph.
The ID Channel show that was just on, "Kevin Spacey Unmasked", doesn't do him a whole lot of favor. I think too many people may be disgusted by him to see him back on the big screen again. I feel as if his time in Hollywood is over now.
Old 05-17-24, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 672 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65
The ID Channel show that was just on, "Kevin Spacey Unmasked", doesn't do him a whole lot of favor. I think too many people may be disgusted by him to see him back on the big screen again. I feel as if his time in Hollywood is over now.
I’ve been wondering lately if we’re starting to see some attempted undoings of various #metoo era scandals. What prompted it wasn’t Spacey per se — although his exploits still seem rather skeevy and his potential ‘exoneration’ doesn’t seem to expressly say that those kinds of situations didn’t happen — but by the fawning partnership between longtime British ‘Hong Kong film expert’ Ricky Baker and his Eastern Heroes crew and disgraced producer-director Brett Ratner (‘memba him?), who financed the reprinting of their old Essential Guide to Hong Kong movies book this year. (He’s living/hiding in Israel now, and posts pics of himself hobnobbing with the likes of Netanyahu). On the EH socials, supposed fans seem to gush over the collaboration and Baker & co. seem to take a “so what, tough” stance, which makes me wonder what the hell I’m missing, and what they think of the six women who independently made allegations against him. I guess time is supposed to just make this stuff go away?

Anyway, they also published this book (below) about Jackie Chan (who did the RUSH HOUR films with Ratner) that pimps Ratner almost as much as it does Chan. W. T. F. Literally the second most prominent person on the cover is Ratner, painted even bigger than Chan’s famous co-stars Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao. Yeesh.

I just don’t get it. I mean, I know it’s not like he’s making movies again, but he’s clearly making moves.

(Spoilered for excessive Ratner)
Spoiler:

Old 05-17-24, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean there are people who will still defend Andrew Tate. It's not image rehabilitation as much as it is people who don't see what the big deal is if a few people were groped, what are you guys, prudes?
Old 05-17-24, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

TOP G wont appreciate that comment!
Old 05-17-24, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,406 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Yeah, the David Copperfield allegations have been floating around for a while.

It was all an illusion. Magic!
Old 05-17-24, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,479 Likes on 4,433 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65
I think we're more likely to see Diddy return in "Any Other Given Sunday".
Old 05-17-24, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Received 1,103 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian T
I’ve been wondering lately if we’re starting to see some attempted undoings of various #metoo era scandals. What prompted it wasn’t Spacey per se — although his exploits still seem rather skeevy and his potential ‘exoneration’ doesn’t seem to expressly say that those kinds of situations didn’t happen — but by the fawning partnership between longtime British ‘Hong Kong film expert’ Ricky Baker and his Eastern Heroes crew and disgraced producer-director Brett Ratner (‘memba him?), who financed the reprinting of their old Essential Guide to Hong Kong movies book this year. (He’s living/hiding in Israel now, and posts pics of himself hobnobbing with the likes of Netanyahu). On the EH socials, supposed fans seem to gush over the collaboration and Baker & co. seem to take a “so what, tough” stance, which makes me wonder what the hell I’m missing, and what they think of the six women who independently made allegations against him. I guess time is supposed to just make this stuff go away?

Anyway, they also published this book (below) about Jackie Chan (who did the RUSH HOUR films with Ratner) that pimps Ratner almost as much as it does Chan. W. T. F. Literally the second most prominent person on the cover is Ratner, painted even bigger than Chan’s famous co-stars Sammo Hung and Yuen Biao. Yeesh.

I just don’t get it. I mean, I know it’s not like he’s making movies again, but he’s clearly making moves.

(Spoilered for excessive Ratner)
I think a lot of dudes, maybe even the majority of them, who are super into action movies are pretty likely to view them as "some b-words who derailed his career" and that women should only be sex objects in films anyway.

I find it really difficult to connect with a lot of people in real life about 80s/90s action fare because the people who love them by and large do not share my social views.
The following 2 users liked this post by IBJoel:
Brian T (05-18-24), ntnon (05-19-24)
Old 05-18-24, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 672 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I think a lot of dudes, maybe even the majority of them, who are super into action movies are pretty likely to view them as "some b-words who derailed his career" and that women should only be sex objects in films anyway.

I find it really difficult to connect with a lot of people in real life about 80s/90s action fare because the people who love them by and large do not share my social views.

I hear that. I largely avoid social media in part because of stuff like that (I use the time to watch movies), but when I saw the EH guys pimping Ratner in their promo materials (including in product descriptions for the book on sites like Amazon) I remembered their Facebook page and was curious to see if anyone had brought Ratner up on posts related to the publication, and sadly found nothing. Just lots of positivity for a rehashed tome that adds maybe an extra hundred or so reviews (despite being OOP for years) and, thanks to Ratner’s money, lots of colour photos. His career imploded nearly seven years ago now, so I suppose it’s possible that some new-ish fans of Hong Kong movies might not be aware of the scandals, or that time has blunted the accounts provided by the women (which is just sad). Almost as bad, to these eyes, were the other reasonably well-known historians, authors, and supplement-makers who’ve publicly supported the EH book/mags either on socials or by contributing testimonials, articles, attending events, and collaborating on subsequent projects (like EH’s mag cashing in on Severin’s Clones of Bruce Lee box). Kim Newman and Frank Djeng (!) really stuck out to me, but there were others. I’d be distancing myself, but apparently that’s no longer done in some circles.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And since Decker referenced Diddy earlier, it’s probably worth noting his latest ‘video’ released yesterday . . . ugh.

Last edited by Brian T; 05-18-24 at 04:06 AM.
IBJoel (05-20-24)
Old 05-18-24, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Too bad he did not get arrested before he butchered "Kashmir" with that Jimmy Page duet for the 1998 Godzilla movie.
miller_time22 (05-20-24)
Old 05-18-24, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,406 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Too bad he did not get arrested before he butchered "Kashmir" with that Jimmy Page duet for the 1998 Godzilla movie.
That's the only song by that shithead that I know of (not that it was really his song anyway), I still can't believe that Jimmy was willing to get involved in that. It's not like ol' Led Wallet needed the dough.

Old 05-18-24, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jimmy Page and Sting must feel like shit now since he sampled "Every Breathe You Take" and that might have been the song that made him a star.
Old 05-18-24, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,129 Likes on 817 Posts

Jimmy Page and Sting must feel like shit now since he sampled "Every Breathe You Take" and that might have been the song that made him a star.
He never received legal permission from Sting to use "Every Breath You Take." Sting sued to take all of the songwriter royalties. It was only after the song was a giant hit for the entire summer of 1997 that Sting agreed to appear with Combs at the MTV Awards.

By the time Combs sampled "Kashmir," he was already a giant star.
Old 05-19-24, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 405 Likes on 327 Posts

I'm pretty sure Spacey groped a lot of guys, not sure if that was some kind of power move or misguided attempts of hitting on them. This might not be criminal behavior but it's definitely not cool. That being said, I really wished his accusers had waited unit House of Cards was finished.
Kevin Spacey is a great actor, so I wouldn't mind seeing him back in action, but I don't think it's happening anytime soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.